Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

MIC & HCC realignment

Just now, Irishman said:

Think “Country Club” sports. 
similar thing happened on a much smaller scale when Homestead and Carroll were voted out of the NHC. The conference title tally, while low in football, was insane in those other sports. 

Fairly certain that Carmel/CG went 17/18 for 20 on MIC titles last year.

19 minutes ago, temptation said:

You are taking football.  There are 19 other sports to consider…and in most of them the remaining 6 aren’t competitive with Carmel and CG.

Once I saw Carmel and CG were going 1-2 in TRACK AND FIELD, I knew the baton (pun intended) had been passed.

The MIC is still very competitive in most of those other 19 sports in comparison to the rest of the non-MIC schools. Not sure how removing Center Grove and Carmel helps them in the long run considering each of those sports playoff format is all-inclusive. 

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

The MIC is still very competitive in most of those other 19 sports in comparison to the rest of the non-MIC schools. Not sure how removing Center Grove and Carmel helps them in the long run considering each of those sports playoff format is all-inclusive. 

Conference titles are simply unattainable in over a dozen sports.  Still a tough sell.

I see your point though.

8 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I mean maybe, but still don't understand why you'd kick out the two most visible programs in your conference. I get it if you're a school like Ben Davis and Warren Central who've had their thunder stolen by these two schools the last 5-10 years, but the MIC bottom feeders needs those two schools more than Center Grove in Carmel need them. 

Pike and North Central just went from being bad football programs in an elite football conference to bad football programs in just an ok conference. Perception means a lot. 

If you owned a company and your two strongest salesmen were talking about joining your top competitor, what would you do?

The MIC did the right thing.  Kudos to them.  And The MIC credo clearly could care less about the "best in the midwest" BS.  They have clearly stated what their mission is, and sports are just a part of it.  

I had a conversation with a few members of the HCC earlier this past season about CG and Carmel coming to the HCC.  The immediate/universal response was NO (universal adjective) WAY!  

I wonder what the temperature says now?  Are they a better fit in the HCC?  Perhaps...  But the ripple effects in these impactful Conferences are unbelievable.  (Stating the obvious)  

Just wow, 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HHF said:

If you owned a company and your two strongest salesmen were talking about joining your top competitor, what would you do?

The MIC did the right thing.  Kudos to them.  And The MIC credo clearly could care less about the "best in the midwest" BS.  They have clearly stated what their mission is, and sports are just a part of it.  

The wording still amuses me.

18 minutes ago, temptation said:

Conference titles are simply unattainable in over a dozen sports.  Still a tough sell.

I see your point though.

It's probably backwords thinking, but I still think most athletic decisions are rooted by the two main revenue sports which are Football and Men's basketball. Until today, the MIC was both the best basketball and football conference in the state. That will surely change. 

20 minutes ago, HHF said:

Do everything in my power to get them to stay just as any other business owner would?

Not going to let two (in this case) unreplaceable employees leave without putting up a fight. 

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

It's probably backwords thinking, but I still think most athletic decisions are rooted by the two main revenue sports which are Football and Men's basketball. Until today, the MIC was both the best basketball and football conference in the state. That will surely change. 

Do everything in my power to get them to stay just as any other business owner would?

Not going to let two (in this case) unreplaceable employees leave without putting up a fight. 

Too much pride/virtue signaling it seems.

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

CG and CA should have been more discreet.  If OU and Texas could secretly pull off a move from the B12 to The SEC, surely these two highschools could have done the same thing and avoided this mess.  

I'm gonna pop some popcorn and watch this one unfold.

I have very - read VERY - limited knowledge of Indianapolis and the MIC.  But I have always been surprised Franklin Central and Perry Meridian weren't already MIC schools.  

Will the HCC accept the two and close off football scheduling with 10 members?  

7 minutes ago, HHF said:

Oh yes.  Im very sure of it.  Those people in The MIC office are clearly fed up with all the elitist BS they've had to listen to over the past several years.  This was a calculated, gutsy move by an entity that knows it has still has plenty of appeal and lots of options to grow.  

Carmel could be the odd man out, and the most likely to go independent due to its mammoth size.  

CGs back to back championship run is tarnished.

The MIC comes out looking like the spurned spouse, and they will get all the sympathy and the benefit of the doubt.  

CGs run will not last forever.  In fact, we probably just saw the peak.  

I think it was a classless, petty and foolish move and just further seals the fate of the MIC.  I’d add “childish” to the description.

As to who was spurned - it backfired.  Carmel and CG look sympathetic.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Any sensible organization would do this.  

5 minutes ago, Lysander said:

I think it was a classless, petty and foolish move and just further seals the fate of the MIC.  I’d add “childish” to the description.

But I can say, that they were looking for different "horizons" beyond the MIC.  

The ONLY thing that could screw this up, is if the HCC becomes a "closed conference"....

Edited by Yuccaguy

3 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Its impossible for CA or CG to look sympathetic.  You should know that.  They are elitist and rich beyond any measure as compared to every other school in the state.  Nobody will be crying for them.  Next to Cathedral, they are the two most unsympathetic entities in high school sports in Indiana.

21 minutes ago, HHF said:

CG and CA should have been more discreet.  If OU and Texas could secretly pull off a move from the B12 to The SEC, surely these two highschools could have done the same thing and avoided this mess.  

Notice how the B12 didn't throw their arms in the air and unanimously vote Texas and Oklahoma out? Because the B12 knows those two universities aren't replaceable and if something with the SEC backfired they'd still have them as members.

The MIC burned that bridge and to my knowledge Center Grove and Carmel haven't been accepted as members to another conference as it stands. 

2 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Any sensible organization would do this.  

They are already gone.  Do you think the Big 12 could have pulled OU and TX back into the fold?  Nope.  When you are gone, you are gone.  Good riddance.  Dont let the door hit you on the backside on the way out.

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

Notice how the B12 didn't throw their arms in the air and unanimously vote Texas and Oklahoma out? Because the B12 knows those two universities aren't replaceable and if something with the SEC backfired they'd still have them as members.

The MIC burned that bridge and to my knowledge Center Grove and Carmel haven't been accepted as members to another conference as it stands. 

The MIC will be better off and more balanced without the two culturally misaligned schools going forward.  

Its impossible for CA or CG to look sympathetic.  You should know that.  They are elitist and rich beyond any measure as compared to every other school in the state.  Nobody will be crying for them.  Next to Cathedral, they are the two most unsympathetic entities in high school sports in Indiana.

Center Grove and Carmel will be fine. That I'm sure.

Just now, HHF said:

They are already gone.  Do you think the Big 12 could have pulled OU and TX back into the fold?  Nope.  When you are gone, you are gone.  Good riddance.  Dont let the door hit you on the backside on the way out.

The B12 bent over backwards to allow TX to get the "lion's share" of the monies that they could find. 

Now it's the SEC's issue.  I am guessing that the SEC will be happy to slap OU and TX's arses for the ensuing decade and "put them in their place".  

LOL.

They're gone because they were voted OUT. 

Big 12 stands a much better chance of getting OU and Texas back than the MIC does getting CG and Carmel back. One set of schools voluntarily left, the other set was told to leave.

Huge difference. 

1 minute ago, Yuccaguy said:

The B12 bent over backwards to allow TX to get the "lion's share" of the monies that they could find. 

Now it's the SEC's issue.  I am guessing that the SEC will be happy to slap OU and TX's arses for the ensuing decade and "put them in their place".  

I can guarantee you that there are some folks in the wings waiting to do this. 😀

• Like 1

The MIC will be better off and more balanced without the two culturally misaligned schools going forward.  

Better off in what regard? Competing for state titles? Not only will Center Grove and Carmel likely never voluntarily schedule a MIC school again, the mercy rule will be in the back of everyone's mind if/when it's applicable.

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

LOL.

They're gone because they were voted OUT. 

Big 12 stands a much better chance of getting OU and Texas back than the MIC does getting CG and Carmel back. One set of schools voluntarily left, the other set was told to leave.

Huge difference. 

MIC doesn't want them back.  Your too dumb to see that.