Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana Gatorade Player of the Year

6 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Tbf….I was in diapers when Rex was a freshman in high school lol 

My (younger) brother's Homestead Spartan team was so proud of reaching the 1998 State Finals it was ridiculous. 

After having been TORCHED by Rick Mirer at the 4A level in a playoff game (during HIS time as a player, 1988).  He thought they had climbed the FB mountaintop a decade later, while he was in the Marine Corps.... and would bring home the Championship hardware.   

Uh, nope!  They got SMOKED by Bloomington South!  

15 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

No, Rex Grossman

Cutler got his first start at QB in 1998 when the senior was injured against Southridge. Cutler, better athlete than Grossman then, better college QB than Grossman, and better NFL QB, especially for the Bears. Truth: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/8/31/22648501/chicago-bears-qb-ranking-jay-cutler-mitch-trubisky-justin-fields

4 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Cutler got his first start at QB in 1998 when the senior was injured against Southridge. Cutler, better athlete than Grossman then, better college QB than Grossman, and better NFL QB, especially for the Bears. Truth: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/8/31/22648501/chicago-bears-qb-ranking-jay-cutler-mitch-trubisky-justin-fields

The college part is very debatable. Jay Cutler in 4 season as starting QB threw for 8,697 yds 59 TD's 36 Int's, Rex Grossman in 3 seasons as starting QB threw for 9,164 yds 77 TD's 36 Int's. You could 100% say Cutler was the better NFL QB.

image.png.ad0a2c6b37f0242715674e94e8b395d1.png

image.png.1b7b5994ca6dcb94a3da31374b2ab2ae.png

3 hours ago, Wildcat1992 said:

Grossman was also able to get the Bears to a superbowl while Cutler, in the eyes of some Bears fans, quit on his teammates in the NFC championship game in 2011.

I don’t know how, because he absolutely crapped his diaper in that super bowl. 

20 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

The college part is very debatable. Jay Cutler in 4 season as starting QB threw for 8,697 yds 59 TD's 36 Int's, Rex Grossman in 3 seasons as starting QB threw for 9,164 yds 77 TD's 36 Int's. You could 100% say Cutler was the better NFL QB.

image.png.ad0a2c6b37f0242715674e94e8b395d1.png

image.png.1b7b5994ca6dcb94a3da31374b2ab2ae.png

Include Cutler's rushing stats as well -- minus sacks -- because well he had a Vandy line in front of him in the SEC. If they traded places, who puts up the better numbers?

Regardless, congrats to the Andrean community and Bowen on the award this season!

10 hours ago, Staxawax said:

He had a torn ACL... Just because he didn't cry about it immediately to the media. Then they took away all of his WRs, then his OL. Urlacher and other Bears teammates have repeatedly said that Cutler was a good teammate. He just didn't care about the media... I'd guess for a lot of reasons, primarily his upbringing (father was ISP, mother worked at the HS. He poured concrete in the summers and always had that kind of "I don't care" mentality which just didn't play well in national media.

On 12/8/2021 at 5:29 PM, Yuccaguy said:

My (younger) brother's Homestead Spartan team was so proud of reaching the 1998 State Finals it was ridiculous. 

After having been TORCHED by Rick Mirer at the 4A level in a playoff game (during HIS time as a player, 1988).  He thought they had climbed the FB mountaintop a decade later, while he was in the Marine Corps.... and would bring home the Championship hardware.   

Uh, nope!  They got SMOKED by Bloomington South!  

Was that Rex Grossman? Snider had a chance to play them the year before,  but fell to Penn in the "Mud Bowl." Snider/Homestead 1997/1998 was a great two year rivalry. Both teams manhandling their opponents leading up to the games. Huge crowds. 

8 hours ago, BTF said:

Was that Rex Grossman? Snider had a chance to play them the year before,  but fell to Penn in the "Mud Bowl." Snider/Homestead 1997/1998 was a great two year rivalry. Both teams manhandling their opponents leading up to the games. Huge crowds. 

Yes that was Rex Grossman, torching the heck out of the Spartans in their ONLY State Finals appearance.

97/98 might have been the only time in the "pre-SAC" era, that HHS/Snider were on the same standing.  The local (HHS Area) feeling was that we should be playing more of an SAC style schedule.  The ensuing years getting beat by Norwell, East Noble, Huntington North and the like kinda put that dream to rest for a while.

Edited by Yuccaguy

13 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

Yes that was Rex Grossman, torching the heck out of the Spartans in their ONLY State Finals appearance.

97/98 might have been the only time in the "pre-SAC" era, that HHS/Snider were on the same standing.  The local (HHS Area) feeling was that we should be playing more of an SAC style schedule.  The ensuing years getting beat by Norwell, East Noble, Huntington North and the like kinda put that dream to rest for a while.

Homestead's 2002 team that didn't even get out of sectionals might have been their best team ever. 

10 hours ago, BTF said:

Homestead's 2002 team that didn't even get out of sectionals might have been their best team ever. 

Drew Wood (Now at Northridge as an Administrator) has them STEAMROLLING for a few years when he was there.  

Upon further reflection, I believe that you are correct.  Then again, the "ping pong balls" had them facing Snider in the 1st round in 2002.  "Seeding"???

15 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

Drew Wood (Now at Northridge as an Administrator) has them STEAMROLLING for a few years when he was there.  

Upon further reflection, I believe that you are correct.  Then again, the "ping pong balls" had them facing Snider in the 1st round in 2002.  "Seeding"???

And Snider had two weeks to prepare while Homestead did not. Snider drew a bye while Homestead had a tune up game against Marion that was over at halftime. I put 2002 right up there with 1998. 

I'll always be an advocate for seeding. 

On 12/9/2021 at 5:23 PM, Staxawax said:

Defense and the return game with Devin Hester carried the Bears. Let’s face it. At no point in my lifetime has a QB carried the Bears. Hopefully, Fields reverses that.

On 12/10/2021 at 3:24 AM, hhpatriot04 said:

Include Cutler's rushing stats as well -- minus sacks -- because well he had a Vandy line in front of him in the SEC. If they traded places, who puts up the better numbers?

Regardless, congrats to the Andrean community and Bowen on the award this season!

He had a torn ACL... Just because he didn't cry about it immediately to the media. Then they took away all of his WRs, then his OL. Urlacher and other Bears teammates have repeatedly said that Cutler was a good teammate. He just didn't care about the media... I'd guess for a lot of reasons, primarily his upbringing (father was ISP, mother worked at the HS. He poured concrete in the summers and always had that kind of "I don't care" mentality which just didn't play well in national media.

One of the most idiotic storylines to come out after the game was his knee had to be fine because he was seen walking in a Chicago steakhouse that night. That’s completely tone deaf to the reality that you can walk with a torn ACL, but you sure as heck can’t make football cuts and play without your knee buckling. 

I admit Cutlers general “I don’t care attitude” with the media. I think overtime he’s won over a lot of Bears fans. Especially now. He’s a weekly regular on a very popular ESPN radio show in Chicago. He’s hilarious to listen to on radio. Very insightful as well. I know he has a few business endeavors, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he once again looked into doing color commentary. He was in talks with one of the networks before signing with Miami.

• 3 weeks later...