Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NIC 2022

Well some people I know in Plymouth say their AD is not a real friendly type of guy and gets emotional.  Add to the demographics changing there in town makes sense to me.  Several jobs opened in the area and this one if he can get the kids involved could be very interesting

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

I’m not sure who this moves says more about, the Plymouth program, the Glenn program, or Coach Barron.

I think it makes a statement about all 3.

Plymouth - deemphasizing football as participation is in steep decline and schools see little signs of reversal.

Glenn - they are tired of losing and feel they can compete in the NIC for a championship. 

Barron - his record speaks for itself (4 undefeated regular seasons is the most impressive to me) and he has fire in the belly to take on a rebuild.

Im wondering if Mishawaka is regretting its move to the NLC.

1 hour ago, HHF said:

Plymouth - deemphasizing football as participation is in steep decline and schools see little signs of reversal.

Glenn - they are tired of losing and feel they can compete in the NIC for a championship. 

Barron - his record speaks for itself (4 undefeated regular seasons is the most impressive to me) and he has fire in the belly to take on a rebuild.

I was amazed when I saw he only won one sectional title. Could of swore he won more.

9 hours ago, HHF said:

I’m confused, do you  think Mishawaka joined the NLC just because of Barron and Plymouth? 

2 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

I’m confused, do you  think Mishawaka joined the NLC just because of Barron and Plymouth? 

No.  Just a quick pivot to another potential NIC topic.

12 hours ago, HHF said:

I think Mishawaka is enjoying the NLC, a lot more money to be made in the new conference.

1 hour ago, MarshallCounty said:

I think Mishawaka is enjoying the NLC, a lot more money to be made in the new conference.

Perhaps.  There are several struggling programs in the NLC (Goshen, Wawasee, Plymouth) The emergence of Elkhart and the continued excellence of Marian and New Prairie have also improved the competitive profile of the NIC.  Adams could be on the verge of making significant improvement as well as enrollment is climbing.  There is a lot more travel in the NLC for Mishawaka.  There is also the nostalgic pull of the NIC, which is inevitable after 100 years of membership.  

It seems like Mishawaka will always have a punchers chance at a conference title in the NLC, even in a "down" year for the cavemen where they might lose to Marian and Elkhart in Non-Conference games but then still be a factor in the NLC race.  Not sure if they would view the NIC the same way. 

1 hour ago, HHF said:

Perhaps.  There are several struggling programs in the NLC (Goshen, Wawasee, Plymouth) The emergence of Elkhart and the continued excellence of Marian and New Prairie have also improved the competitive profile of the NIC.  Adams could be on the verge of making significant improvement as well as enrollment is climbing.  There is a lot more travel in the NLC for Mishawaka.  There is also the nostalgic pull of the NIC, which is inevitable after 100 years of membership.  

Gate receipts from the NLC in all sports dwarfs the NIC.  Football wise I get what you are saying, but looking at the big picture, the NLC is a better home. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wedgebuster said:

It seems like Mishawaka will always have a punchers chance at a conference title in the NLC, even in a "down" year for the cavemen where they might lose to Marian and Elkhart in Non-Conference games but then still be a factor in the NLC race.  Not sure if they would view the NIC the same way. 

I thought Mishawaka left the NIC for a more competitive conference with better teams and a generally higher level of football?

33 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

If you think the Mishawaka joined the NLC for football only...

All Im suggesting is that NIC football looks much better and much stronger than it did 3 to 5 years ago, when Mishawaka was mulling this decision.  Fact is, the declining participation trend has hit the NLC harder than most other conferences, why I'm not sure.  I referenced the "Lake Life" issue in prior discussions on this topic as a potential contributor .  We just saw a highly regarded NLC coach leave the conference for the NIC for a perceived better football opportunity.  

I wonder if the new Big/Small divisional lineup in The SAC might lure Warsaw to Fort Wayne.  Another potential headache for the NLC to be concerned with.  

2 hours ago, HHF said:

All Im suggesting is that NIC football looks much better and much stronger than it did 3 to 5 years ago, when Mishawaka was mulling this decision.  Fact is, the declining participation trend has hit the NLC harder than most other conferences, why I'm not sure.  I referenced the "Lake Life" issue in prior discussions on this topic as a potential contributor .  We just saw a highly regarded NLC coach leave the conference for the NIC for a perceived better football opportunity.  

I wonder if the new Big/Small divisional lineup in The SAC might lure Warsaw to Fort Wayne.  Another potential headache for the NLC to be concerned with.  

I think your putting words in Coach Barron’s mouth. 

5 hours ago, HHF said:

Is this trend only in the NLC?  Or is it the head injury concern of parents?

Perceived head injuries (lots of HS sports with higher concussion rates), the pandemic taught everybody that doing nothing was easier than doing something, travel sports, sports specialization, changing demographics, lack of coaches in buildings, growing gap between schools that compete and those that offer the sport for participation, etc

It has all got to play a role, right? 

6 hours ago, HHF said:

1) It is not "Lake Life" - the lakes have always been here. There's not been some drastic change concerning that. This is grasping at straws. What lake is in Plymouth and Goshen pulling kids away from participating in football?

2) Warsaw will not be lured to Fort Wayne to join the SAC. You are the only one who ever brings this up. Across all athletics, the Tigers fit in well in the NLC and are more than prepared for any tournament runs in their respective sports. Football is the only one that would even remotely benefit, and that is not reason enough to move your entire athletics department to a new conference

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Wedgebuster said:

If Warsaw ever left, would that make a smaller school like a Jimtown feel more comfortable joining the NLC?  Knowing they don't have to play a 6A school in Warsaw.  

This is an interesting question that I do not believe will ever happen, but IF Warsaw was not in the NLC, of all schools in the area I think Jimtown would be a good fit. They already play NorthWood and Concord in football and are competitive against both and typically play against Goshen in quite a few sports. Plymouth and Wawasee are not THAT much bigger than Jimtown either, so I see no reason why they couldn't fit right into the NLC on the absolutely hypothetical scenario of Warsaw leaving the conference.

1 hour ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

This is an interesting question that I do not believe will ever happen, but IF Warsaw was not in the NLC, of all schools in the area I think Jimtown would be a good fit. They already play NorthWood and Concord in football and are competitive against both and typically play against Goshen in quite a few sports. Plymouth and Wawasee are not THAT much bigger than Jimtown either, so I see no reason why they couldn't fit right into the NLC on the absolutely hypothetical scenario of Warsaw leaving the conference.

I believe John Glenn would be strong consideration as well

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HHF said:

A highly regarded coach also just took over a struggling Goshen program, he built Northridge into a respectable program in short time.  He even took Wawasee to new heights before coming to Northridge. 

There's no doubt that Mishawaka is a great football program (i believe they finished 3rd in the NLC this year), but as mentioned on here, the conference isn't just about 1 sport.

I think New Prairie would also be a great fit for an expanded NLC with 2 divisions, but that's probably about as likely as Warsaw leaving for the SAC.