Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2021-2022

Irishman

The improvements under Woodson are noticeable, especially at the defensive end. But someone help me figure out what the logic is with turning Xavier Johnson loose late in games. As a point guard, he is good at getting the ball to scorers, but it seems late in games, he feels the need to shoot EVERYTHING. a HUGE and dominant lead blown at Wisconsin is unacceptable. There is not much offense on the team any way, but 17 points in a half seems to be a new low. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go my hopes are up seen good things and things they need to improve on BUT I'm trying to temper my expectations however its just NOT in me as an IU fan. looking forward to seeing how the Big Ten season plays out

As far as the PG situation couldn't agree more but lets keep in mind X and Woody are both still in a feeling out process. I do wonder what Lander is doing that Woody doesn't like ? Its pretty clear there is something that he HAS to improve on in practice before Woodson will up his mins despite the fact that he played Big mins and his best basketball in the St Johns win and Syracuse loss 

Ready to watch vs Notre Dame in the "Archie Miller Crossroads classic" LOL 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The eye test is a key to see how this program is better. Basically the same kids playing that they had a year ago. But this team plays defense, and they play hard. Poor free throw shooting and a lack of consistency on offense has been their achilles heal. The effort against Purdue last night was great. There were moments I was worried. We knew Purdue would make a run in the 2nd half, and sure enough, they did. When they drained a couple 3’s early, I am sure many fans thought the same that I did…..oh no, here we go again. I am looking for the final stats, because the halftime stats showed some things that were big. Bench scoring was 24-2. If Purdue’s bench does not contribute more, it could be another earlier than they should have exit. Turnovers were 10-1 in IU’s favor. Considering that IU turned it over 23 times against Iowa, and finished last night with just 3 is huge. Rob Phinisee was noticeable all night. Jut seems like he is not a favorite of Woodson’s for some reason, but what a great game he had. That 3 for the lead was huge. Xavier was his usually self though…..still dribbles himself into trouble far too often. On the plus side, he made some huge plays, especially the prayer of a 3 he shot off balance to beat the shot clock. I wish he saw himself as more of a point guard than a shooter. 

Bigger picture is it is great to see this rivalry return to where it should be. It was intense, the outcome was in doubt the entire time, and it was a little chippy….made for one of the classics in this series. 

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

The eye test is a key to see how this program is better. Basically the same kids playing that they had a year ago. But this team plays defense, and they play hard. Poor free throw shooting and a lack of consistency on offense has been their achilles heal. The effort against Purdue last night was great. There were moments I was worried. We knew Purdue would make a run in the 2nd half, and sure enough, they did. When they drained a couple 3’s early, I am sure many fans thought the same that I did…..oh no, here we go again. I am looking for the final stats, because the halftime stats showed some things that were big. Bench scoring was 24-2. If Purdue’s bench does not contribute more, it could be another earlier than they should have exit. Turnovers were 10-1 in IU’s favor. Considering that IU turned it over 23 times against Iowa, and finished last night with just 3 is huge. Rob Phinisee was noticeable all night. Jut seems like he is not a favorite of Woodson’s for some reason, but what a great game he had. That 3 for the lead was huge. Xavier was his usually self though…..still dribbles himself into trouble far too often. On the plus side, he made some huge plays, especially the prayer of a 3 he shot off balance to beat the shot clock. I wish he saw himself as more of a point guard than a shooter. 

Bigger picture is it is great to see this rivalry return to where it should be. It was intense, the outcome was in doubt the entire time, and it was a little chippy….made for one of the classics in this series. 

consistency will continue to be key for this team moving forward there ability to play defense at a high level will keep them in every game they play this year and if they make it to March they could sneak up on someone , BUT no doubt there has been a culture shift under Mike Woodson IU has maybe not ever had even under Coach Knight its clear this man loves and cares about his players and its beautiful to see . 

Biggest question you have a talented but struggling UM team coming to town on Sunday and have winnable home and road games for the next 2.5 weeks . can you refocus and make a run that will cement your resume for March ? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had a little bit of a knee jerk reaction to Saturday loss against Illinois as did most Hoosier fans I think. Indiana currently stand solidly in the field for all bracketology most have them as a 7 or 8 seed . A lot of ball left to play but really I think Indiana only need 3 wins to put themselves in the field on selection Sunday .  Anything on top pf that is just icing on the cake . This was all I wanted the last 6 years . A massive step forward under Mike Woodson hope the trend continues . Go Hoosiers 

Indiana (16-6, 7-5) has not made the NCAA Tournament since 2016. Here is their remaining schedule:

• at Northwestern (Quadrant 1)
  • at Michigan State (Quadrant 1)
  • vs. Wisconsin (Quadrant 1)
  • at Ohio State (Quadrant 1)
  • vs. Maryland (Quadrant 3)
  • at Minnesota (Quadrant 2)
  • vs. Rutgers (Quadrant 3)
  • at Purdue (Quadrant 1)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I do think the game at Ohio State was their last chance to have a shot at the tournament. The announcers said they are a bubble team, but I don’t see that at this point. That said, they also said Ohio State is a 4 seed. I don’t see that either. IU should have walked out with a win in regulation. They did not need 3 point shots in either of the last two possessions. Xavier Johnson will never understand that he cannot drive for layups as well. He puts his team in difficult spots far too often. He played well most of the game too, but then loses it in the last few minutes, and it’s not the first time he has done that. Part of me thinks Woodson is just doing what he can with the guys he has. There is some talent on the roster, and they are young. They play great defense most of the time, a vast improvement over previous seasons. It’s definitely frustrating being a fan. They was WAY too much hype coming into the season. 

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

I do think the game at Ohio State was their last chance to have a shot at the tournament. The announcers said they are a bubble team, but I don’t see that at this point. That said, they also said Ohio State is a 4 seed. I don’t see that either. IU should have walked out with a win in regulation. They did not need 3 point shots in either of the last two possessions. Xavier Johnson will never understand that he cannot drive for layups as well. He puts his team in difficult spots far too often. He played well most of the game too, but then loses it in the last few minutes, and it’s not the first time he has done that. Part of me thinks Woodson is just doing what he can with the guys he has. There is some talent on the roster, and they are young. They play great defense most of the time, a vast improvement over previous seasons. It’s definitely frustrating being a fan. They was WAY too much hype coming into the season. 

Are they an NCAA Tourney Team? Probably not BUT again I've said it every year they have played this bubble madness the magic number is 20 , doesn't matter how IU is still a brand and will sell tickets can you imagine if IU is in a first four play in game vs North Carolina in Dayton? Dear lord they would jam pack that place FULL then winner gets a #5 seed game vs UConn? every year IU is in the tourney they are in UNC or UKs bracket coincidence I don't think so it makes the NCAA $$$$$$$$$ 

The next 3 games are key if IU wins them they will be 19 wins and finish 10-10 in the Big Ten . They are in not because they deserve it or they are capable of even winning a game because they are probably not , but this fan base will flock to wherever they are playing and will BUY BUY BUY and the NCAA will take a good hard look at fanbases a requirement for making this years tourney after the last 2 years . 

• 2 weeks later...

Another tough loss for IU tonight.....and another blown lead. Crazy thing is that Rutgers, much like Minnesota, starts hitting EVERYTHING late. a 60% free throw shooter nails 2 and looks like a 90% shooter doing it. Ron Harper Jr. is just unreal. It is difficult to keep track of who has them as one of the last four in or the first four out. I think they are out at this point. Does a win against Purdue get them in? or do they need a win or two in the conference tournament? I think the latter. 

12 hours ago, Irishman said:

Another tough loss for IU tonight.....and another blown lead. Crazy thing is that Rutgers, much like Minnesota, starts hitting EVERYTHING late. a 60% free throw shooter nails 2 and looks like a 90% shooter doing it. Ron Harper Jr. is just unreal. It is difficult to keep track of who has them as one of the last four in or the first four out. I think they are out at this point. Does a win against Purdue get them in? or do they need a win or two in the conference tournament? I think the latter. 

Lunardi Said on DD show they needed 3 wins anyway they could get them OR 2 wins IF one of them is at Purdue. they have 2 of them . end of the day they have a chance beat Purdue on the road and your in 100% I think it would even be a big enough win to get them out of the first 4 . Now I in no way shape or form think they are going to win at Mackey . So 2 in the Big Ten Toruney would get them to Dayton to the first 4 , but losing 8 out 10 or 11 not gonna get you in. 

Last night sucked , but at the end of the day I believe IU got out coached . Steve Pickell is a HELL of a bball coach , and I'm not saying Mike Woodson isn't , but Pickell though they could match up man on man vs IU and they couldn't Trayce torched them. He didn't panic he had plan B and IU couldn't adjust all the credit in the world to Rutgers. Move on hope for the best expect the worst in a week and half thats the last 5 years in a nutshell 

3 minutes ago, EasyEJay said:

Lunardi Said on DD show they needed 3 wins anyway they could get them OR 2 wins IF one of them is at Purdue. they have 2 of them . end of the day they have a chance beat Purdue on the road and your in 100% I think it would even be a big enough win to get them out of the first 4 . Now I in no way shape or form think they are going to win at Mackey . So 2 in the Big Ten Toruney would get them to Dayton to the first 4 , but losing 8 out 10 or 11 not gonna get you in. 

Last night sucked , but at the end of the day I believe IU got out coached . Steve Pickell is a HELL of a bball coach , and I'm not saying Mike Woodson isn't , but Pickell though they could match up man on man vs IU and they couldn't Trayce torched them. He didn't panic he had plan B and IU couldn't adjust all the credit in the world to Rutgers. Move on hope for the best expect the worst in a week and half thats the last 5 years in a nutshell 

I agree on all counts. They need to beat Purdue to have a prayer. Pickell did great managing his team and the officials in tough spots; including when his kid got tossed in a critical spot in the game. But his players reflect that on the court; no panic, no need for a TO at the end, just run a play. 

myself and a handful of the boys in class had it on , on our phones last 2 min I told them we have to turn it off as class started because it would be good karma ! It worked but then my principal walks in a couple min later and said "You weren't watching it !?!?" well now the policy  haha 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 9:44 AM, EasyEJay said:

Lunardi Said on DD show they needed 3 wins anyway they could get them OR 2 wins IF one of them is at Purdue. they have 2 of them . end of the day they have a chance beat Purdue on the road and your in 100% I think it would even be a big enough win to get them out of the first 4 . Now I in no way shape or form think they are going to win at Mackey . So 2 in the Big Ten Tourney would get them to Dayton to the first 4 , but losing 8 out 10 or 11 not gonna get you in. 

Man never thought the Selection committee was reading my post on Gridiron Digest before locking themselves in their hotel in Carmel 😉. As a married man this feeling of being "Right" I think its called is a brand new. Better not get used to it HAHA. 

Biggest check mark as been hit my Mike Woodson in year 1 get IU back in the Tourney awesome feeling and I consider year 1 a massive success in the direction of the program but I'd be remiss if I Didn't mention priority now becomes sustained success What does that look like ? For me as a logical IU fan its hearing their names called every year in the middle of March seeded 1-12 doesn't matter playing Tues, Wed, Thurs, or Fri . In the Midwest, East, South, or West I don't care from there ? You never know its March Madness after all. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Irishman said:

Sure hope this does not mean the committee will keep looking to put IU in a play in game lol

I'm not sure the NCAA is smart enough. First round games in the East bracket are being played in Portland, Oregon. 

This was brutal. IU has played a lot of basketball over the last week. St. Mary's is exactly like the teams Butler had that were really good. But there always seemed to be a point where the 3's did not go in for those Butler teams, and they were a different team. I think the same will be the case for this St. Mary's team. 

11 hours ago, Irishman said:

This was brutal. IU has played a lot of basketball over the last week. St. Mary's is exactly like the teams Butler had that were really good. But there always seemed to be a point where the 3's did not go in for those Butler teams, and they were a different team. I think the same will be the case for this St. Mary's team. 

For sure , prep time for a team like that is tough as well , IU always seems to get that hot rom 3 team in the tourney (2016 Sweet 16 vs UNC) oh well I said after the Wyoming win anything else would be a bonus 21-14 and a W in the tourney is exactly the boost this program needed!

Obviously everyone will be hanging on the decision of TJD which wont be made for a while . Also who goes and who stays . the need to get shooters is very obvious but have so scorers coming in (Hood-Schifino and Gunn) plus the portal . This is how the current roster I think shakes out . 

Stays                                                                 Leaves 

Xavier Johnson                                                Trayce Jackson-Davis 

Trey Galloway                                                   Parker Stewart 

Jordan Geromino                                             Luke Duncomb 

Anthony Leal                                                    Kristian Lander 

Miller Kopp                                                       Race Thompson 

Michael Durr  

Rob Phinese 

Tamar Bates

Those 8 guys added in with the 3 incoming leaves 11 scholarship guys Gives you 2 scholarships to use in the portal: IU has reached out to Ball State Freshman Payton Sparks 6'9 MAC freshman of the year from Winchester , IN . a very interesting off season awaits for sure . 

• Like 1

Kristian Lander is entering the transfer portal. I am guessing he regrets skipping his senior year in high school. I wish him well, but he likely needed an extra year to develop his game more. I am guessing he will be in Rhode Island. 

It can never be easy when it comes to IU basketball forever shrouded in drama its exhausting really. I like many was hoping for 5 or so years of Woodson followed by a lifetime of Fife . UGH .......................

I digress in addition to Lander , Durr in the portal as well IU now one away from having enough scholarships open for the incoming class (Gun, Hood, and banks) . IU seems to be heavy in the mix for a couple of potential front court pieces Ball State Freshman Payton Sparks MAC freshman of the year, also FLA de-committee 5-Star Malik Reneau (teammate of Hood-Schirifio) and IU was heavily involved be FLA commitment .