The Gridiron Digest

IU 2021-2022

Irishman

The improvements under Woodson are noticeable, especially at the defensive end. But someone help me figure out what the logic is with turning Xavier Johnson loose late in games. As a point guard, he is good at getting the ball to scorers, but it seems late in games, he feels the need to shoot EVERYTHING. a HUGE and dominant lead blown at Wisconsin is unacceptable. There is not much offense on the team any way, but 17 points in a half seems to be a new low. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go my hopes are up seen good things and things they need to improve on BUT I'm trying to temper my expectations however its just NOT in me as an IU fan. looking forward to seeing how the Big Ten season plays out

As far as the PG situation couldn't agree more but lets keep in mind X and Woody are both still in a feeling out process. I do wonder what Lander is doing that Woody doesn't like ? Its pretty clear there is something that he HAS to improve on in practice before Woodson will up his mins despite the fact that he played Big mins and his best basketball in the St Johns win and Syracuse loss 

Ready to watch vs Notre Dame in the "Archie Miller Crossroads classic" LOL 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The eye test is a key to see how this program is better. Basically the same kids playing that they had a year ago. But this team plays defense, and they play hard. Poor free throw shooting and a lack of consistency on offense has been their achilles heal. The effort against Purdue last night was great. There were moments I was worried. We knew Purdue would make a run in the 2nd half, and sure enough, they did. When they drained a couple 3’s early, I am sure many fans thought the same that I did…..oh no, here we go again. I am looking for the final stats, because the halftime stats showed some things that were big. Bench scoring was 24-2. If Purdue’s bench does not contribute more, it could be another earlier than they should have exit. Turnovers were 10-1 in IU’s favor. Considering that IU turned it over 23 times against Iowa, and finished last night with just 3 is huge. Rob Phinisee was noticeable all night. Jut seems like he is not a favorite of Woodson’s for some reason, but what a great game he had. That 3 for the lead was huge. Xavier was his usually self though…..still dribbles himself into trouble far too often. On the plus side, he made some huge plays, especially the prayer of a 3 he shot off balance to beat the shot clock. I wish he saw himself as more of a point guard than a shooter. 

Bigger picture is it is great to see this rivalry return to where it should be. It was intense, the outcome was in doubt the entire time, and it was a little chippy….made for one of the classics in this series. 

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

The eye test is a key to see how this program is better. Basically the same kids playing that they had a year ago. But this team plays defense, and they play hard. Poor free throw shooting and a lack of consistency on offense has been their achilles heal. The effort against Purdue last night was great. There were moments I was worried. We knew Purdue would make a run in the 2nd half, and sure enough, they did. When they drained a couple 3’s early, I am sure many fans thought the same that I did…..oh no, here we go again. I am looking for the final stats, because the halftime stats showed some things that were big. Bench scoring was 24-2. If Purdue’s bench does not contribute more, it could be another earlier than they should have exit. Turnovers were 10-1 in IU’s favor. Considering that IU turned it over 23 times against Iowa, and finished last night with just 3 is huge. Rob Phinisee was noticeable all night. Jut seems like he is not a favorite of Woodson’s for some reason, but what a great game he had. That 3 for the lead was huge. Xavier was his usually self though…..still dribbles himself into trouble far too often. On the plus side, he made some huge plays, especially the prayer of a 3 he shot off balance to beat the shot clock. I wish he saw himself as more of a point guard than a shooter. 

Bigger picture is it is great to see this rivalry return to where it should be. It was intense, the outcome was in doubt the entire time, and it was a little chippy….made for one of the classics in this series. 

consistency will continue to be key for this team moving forward there ability to play defense at a high level will keep them in every game they play this year and if they make it to March they could sneak up on someone , BUT no doubt there has been a culture shift under Mike Woodson IU has maybe not ever had even under Coach Knight its clear this man loves and cares about his players and its beautiful to see . 

Biggest question you have a talented but struggling UM team coming to town on Sunday and have winnable home and road games for the next 2.5 weeks . can you refocus and make a run that will cement your resume for March ? 

• Like 1