Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IFCA Coaches of the Year (2021)

1 hour ago, Staxawax said:

So basically, win state and win your class's coach of the year.  Seems pretty simple. Am I missing anything?

The obvious bias toward large schools and Indy area schools.

The unfair advantage of P/Ps.

How many of the coaches get free & reduced lunches.

I'm sure there's more.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Staxawax said:

So basically, win state and win your class's coach of the year.  Seems pretty simple. Am I missing anything?

13 minutes ago, Grover said:

The obvious bias toward large schools and Indy area schools.

The unfair advantage of P/Ps.

How many of the coaches get free & reduced lunches.

I'm sure there's more.

• Like 1

These types of awards always amuse me.  Of course I’m going to come across too many of you as a “hater”, but come on.

Other than Mt. Vernon, these coaches all did was was expected of them coming into the season.

Gimme Mason at Eastside in 2A.  What that team did was phenomenal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, temptation said:

These types of awards always amuse me.  Of course I’m going to come across too many of you as a “hater”, but come on.

Other than Mt. Vernon, these coaches all did was was expected of them coming into the season.

I agree. I would even say 3A Gibson Southern finally got over the proverbial “hump” 

Must have been real tough choosing the coaches of the year this year 😂

• Thanks 1

I know that these often focus on folks that get to LOS, but I wanted to focus on some of the ones that weren't as visible and would certainly miss consideration based on more conventional methods.  These aren't likely COY in the eyes of the state, but in the eyes of their communities, schools, and players the deserve a bit of recognition.

• Brad Bevis at South Newton - The Rebels were 1-45 for the last five seasons.  This season they finished 5-5.  Plenty more road to cover, but certainly a good season to build on after some handfuls of dirt were surely ready to throw on the "contraction coffin."
  • Blake Betzner at Carroll (Flora) - Carroll hasn't seen a sectional title since 2003.  To put that in context, Frankton and Lapel were still 1A back then.  In his first season at Carroll, Betzner took the Cougars to a 9-4 and their first sectional title in just under a couple of decades.
  • Andrew Tetheroh at Tri - First trip to semi-state in more than two and a half decades.  Tri has typically not been a name on the radar screen in post-season, but this season they got there.
  • Brett Jennings at Whiting - When Cain left Whiting, the program went on much harder times; especially with a mere four-game season in 2020.  They were 3-11 in the last two seasons and, while 5-7, this year's finishing record, isn't great, the Oiler's scrapped their way to a sectional title showdown with Andrean.
  • Rob Gibson at Owen Valley - OV was 12-39 over the last five seasons and hadn't seen a sectional final in more than two and a half decades.  Gibson led OV to a sectional title and a 10-2 season record.

I'm sure that's not all of them.  Anyone else have any others?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, temptation said:

I’d put Northridge in as well….at least for their postseason play.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, foxbat said:

I know that these often focus on folks that get to LOS, but I wanted to focus on some of the ones that weren't as visible and would certainly miss consideration based on more conventional methods.  These aren't likely COY in the eyes of the state, but in the eyes of their communities, schools, and players the deserve a bit of recognition.

• Brad Bevis at South Newton - The Rebels were 1-45 for the last five seasons.  This season they finished 5-5.  Plenty more road to cover, but certainly a good season to build on after some handfuls of dirt were surely ready to throw on the "contraction coffin."
  • Blake Betzner at Carroll (Flora) - Carroll hasn't seen a sectional title since 2003.  To put that in context, Frankton and Lapel were still 1A back then.  In his first season at Carroll, Betzner took the Cougars to a 9-4 and their first sectional title in just under a couple of decades.
  • Andrew Tetheroh at Tri - First trip to semi-state in more than two and a half decades.  Tri has typically not been a name on the radar screen in post-season, but this season they got there.
  • Brett Jennings at Whiting - When Cain left Whiting, the program went on much harder times; especially with a mere four-game season in 2020.  They were 3-11 in the last two seasons and, while 5-7, this year's finishing record, isn't great, the Oiler's scrapped their way to a sectional title showdown with Andrean.
  • Rob Gibson at Owen Valley - OV was 12-39 over the last five seasons and hadn't seen a sectional final in more than two and a half decades.  Gibson led OV to a sectional title and a 10-2 season record.

I'm sure that's not all of them.  Anyone else have any others?

Whiting 5 wins come from opponents that have a total of 4 wins. (Boone grove twice) We have high standards in whiting. Anything less then sectional title is considered failing.

6 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

Whiting 5 wins come from opponents that have a total of 4 wins. (Boone grove twice) We have high standards in whiting. Anything less then sectional title is considered failing.

Damn, didn’t know Whiting has had so much success. That’s impressive. 

I'll throw Joe Kutch from North Central (Farmersburg) out there for some recognition.  1st year coach whose team battled through injuries early on and then had multiple covid cases (including himself).  His team came together and came on very strong at the end of the year to win 3 tough games in the sectional to bring home the championship.  

• Like 1