Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Recommended Contraction List - Class 4A/5A/6A

2 minutes ago, foxbat said:

What are you say, eh?

Another segway? 

What the heck does that have to do with the statement that a school with strong arts doesn't attract football types?

Are we really going to compare OU to SBC?  Cmon.  get real.  The Clay program is dead.  Just shut it down and let the players thay have move over to either Riley, Washington or Adams.  Its simple with open enrollment.  

24 minutes ago, HHF said:

Are we really going to compare OU to SBC?  Cmon.  get real.  The Clay program is dead.  Just shut it down and let the players thay have move over to either Riley, Washington or Adams.  Its simple with open enrollment.  

You implied that arts schools don't attract athletes.  You're wrong.  While Clay has specific issues, you've extrapolated out their condition to others.

My niece, an accomplished pianist and a heck of a basketball player, attended a public magnet school for the arts and received a college scholarship to play basketball.

17 minutes ago, foxbat said:

You implied that arts schools don't attract athletes.  You're wrong.  While Clay has specific issues, you've extrapolated out their condition to others.

My niece, an accomplished pianist and a heck of a basketball player, attended a public magnet school for the arts and received a college scholarship to play basketball.

What does that have to do with contracting the 3-67 Clay football program?  Arts magnet or nbot, it is a collossal failure and a deep money pit for the school district.  

Just now, HHF said:

What does that have to do with contracting the 3-67 Clay football program?  Arts magnet or nbot, it is a collossal failure and a deep money pit for the school district.  

Nothing at all, but you were the one that made the blanket statement that magnets don't attract polished football players.  Used to hear the same thing in the 70s about academic and college-prep schools ... that was also incorrect.

6 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Nothing at all, but you were the one that made the blanket statement that magnets don't attract polished football players.  Used to hear the same thing in the 70s about academic and college-prep schools ... that was also incorrect.

Do you think the Clay program should continue?

2 minutes ago, HHF said:

Do you think the Clay program should continue?

Their call.  I wouldn't want some third party forcing me into not continuing if I thought otherwise or wanted to try something different to effect change.

• Like 1

From 2008 to 2019 Tri High school had 1 winning season including 4 (0-10) seasons. If they would have just given up and cut the program they never would have made the semi-state run they just made. And I can tell you that those kids during that decade would say that football enriched their high school experiences regardless of the record. But since Tri isn't in Indianapolis or the region they don't exist in (the artist formerly known as) DT's mind so they must contract. This whole contraction crap gets old. If the money spent on football was really hurting these systems, they would cut them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CoachVeatch said:

From 2008 to 2019 Tri High school had 1 winning season including 4 (0-10) seasons. If they would have just given up and cut the program they never would have made the semi-state run they just made. And I can tell you that those kids during that decade would say that football enriched their high school experiences regardless of the record. But since Tri isn't in Indianapolis or the region they don't exist in (the artist formerly known as) DT's mind so they must contract. This whole contraction crap gets old. If the money spent on football was really hurting these systems, they would cut them. 

You're preaching to the choir unfortunately.

DT could poll all 300 some head coaches in the state of Indiana and every single one of them would give a similar that Coach Peebles of Cathedral gave during his interview with DT, "I would never support such an idea".

20 minutes ago, CoachVeatch said:

If the year were 2011 DT would say Gibson Southern should consider contraction.

13 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

You're preaching to the choir unfortunately.

DT could poll all 300 some head coaches in the state of Indiana and every single one of them would give a similar that Coach Peebles of Cathedral gave during his interview with DT, "I would never support such an idea".

Of course the head coaches would respond that way.  It's part of their livelihood being threatened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CoachVeatch said:

Tri is a great story    I had several good interviews with Coach Andrew Totheroh.  They certainly dodged the contraction bullet during that long stretch of losing.  Great to see the program revived.  But a rarity indeed.  

https://www.facebook.com/page/107360041590757/search/?q=tri

On 12/14/2021 at 1:38 PM, Muda69 said:

Of course the head coaches would respond that way.  It's part of their livelihood being threatened.

Or maybe it's because, unlike DT, they realize high school football is about education and opportunity, *not* about "competitive balance" and "making a few programs stronger." 

It's not "easy" to drive two towns away because your school killed your football program because of "competitive balance." And a LOT of the schools on DT's asinine contraction list are from low-SES backgrounds where kids need opportunities, positive role models and to be a part of something bigger than themselves. They can't just "go to a neighboring school" without having transportation. The true worth of a high school program is in the young men it develops and what happens between Monday and Thursday afternoons on the practice field, not so much what happens on Friday night. And great things happen at Connersville with their 34 players just as much as they happen at Center Grove with their 200. 

We should be talking about expanding opportunities with 8-man football for smaller schools, not getting rid of programs. 

• Like 3
  • Disdain 1

44 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Or maybe it's because, unlike DT, they realize high school football is about education and opportunity, *not* about "competitive balance" and "making a few programs stronger." 

It's not "easy" to drive two towns away because your school killed your football program because of "competitive balance." And a LOT of the schools on DT's asinine contraction list are from low-SES backgrounds where kids need opportunities, positive role models and to be a part of something bigger than themselves. They can't just "go to a neighboring school" without having transportation. The true worth of a high school program is in the young men it develops and what happens between Monday and Thursday afternoons on the practice field, not so much what happens on Friday night. And great things happen at Connersville with their 34 players just as much as they happen at Center Grove with their 200. 

We should be talking about expanding opportunities with 8-man football for smaller schools, not getting rid of programs. 

I am a huge supporter of the vast majority of the 320 Indiana high schools that play varsity football.  Just as much, or more, than yourself Andrew.  5% of those programs are fighting a losing battle.  There is no shame in following logic and throwing in the towel.  

On 12/13/2021 at 5:50 PM, HHF said:

Kids can learn life lessons and make life long relationships with or without football.  Football players dont learn any more life lessons or make better long standing relationships than do soccer players, chess club members or band members.  Or maybe you have some hard statistical data you would like to share on that?

HHF, DT, Driven T,

I know you have had a daughter that attended Center Grove. I know you possibly went to Highland (if my memory serves correctly). I would like to ask how many years or even downs of football have you played? I know you take vested interest in coming up with controversial subjects on this board, but I just want to know what extent you have actually played football. 

I wish people would focus more on the idea under discussion, as opposed to the person generating the idea. Far too much of “ I don’t think your idea is a good one, so you are a bad person.” An intellectually weak position that does nothing to stimulate the discussion.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

HHF, DT, Driven T,

I know you have had a daughter that attended Center Grove. I know you possibly went to Highland (if my memory serves correctly). I would like to ask how many years or even downs of football have you played? I know you take vested interest in coming up with controversial subjects on this board, but I just want to know what extent you have actually played football. 

I'll give you my background if you promise to give yours in return.  

If you talk to many educators in SB right now Clay is not the school to attend.  The enrollment is falling supposedly.  SB need to downsize high schools and will not because they do not want a charter to take over the building.  The corporation is not righting the issues they face.  There are about 10,000 empty desks in their buildings.  They could go to 2 traditional high school and one magnet high school (maybe with no sports)