Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Case for Caden Curry

Phenomenal player and going to be a difference maker for whatever elite program he commits to….unfortunately when you have Brady Allen putting up the season he did and the way he did it….7 sacks and no forced fumbles is not going to cut it.  That’s just the reality of it 

seriously…he is a phenomenal talent…but he wasn’t even top 5 in 6A for sacks and had 0 forced fumbles according to maxpreps.  When the other top candidate put up arguably the best passing season in state history, you need the stats to make the argument 

4 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Phenomenal player and going to be a difference maker for whatever elite program he commits to….unfortunately when you have Brady Allen putting up the season he did and the way he did it….7 sacks and no forced fumbles is not going to cut it.  That’s just the reality of it 

seriously…he is a phenomenal talent…but he wasn’t even top 5 in 6A for sacks and had 0 forced fumbles according to maxpreps.  When the other top candidate put up arguably the best passing season in state history, you need the stats to make the argument 

Stats don’t show the total impact he had in games, I swear to God they don’t. Didn’t he have another D1 recruit playing beside him? How many times was he double teamed? How many times did they run plays away from him? It’s more than stats. State Law!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I get you trying to prop up your kid.  

But I think you are trying to compare Apples to Oranges.  Brady Allen was the best QB in the State.  In my opinion, Caden Curry was the best football player.  I also know that it is extremely difficult for a Lineman (OL or DL) to win this award because many look directly at Stats.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 1st_and_10 said:

But I think you are trying to compare Apples to Oranges.  Brady Allen was the best QB in the State.  In my opinion, Caden Curry was the best football player.  I also know that it is extremely difficult for a Lineman (OL or DL) to win this award because many look directly at Stats.  

Technically, if were going off the "best football player in the state" that title would go to Desan McCullough out of Bloomington South according to any recruiting site. 

35 minutes ago, 1st_and_10 said:

Let’s compare him to Popeye Williams.

played a very tough 6A schedule 

also had 7 sacks and no forced fumbles.  Had 4 less TFLs.  The only thing that separates Curry from PW is that Curry has more career success and awards but many of them are team based.  His case in terms of a single season performance isn’t much different than PWs 

if it’s based on only the senior season, it’s probably hauser vs Allen

if it involves the career, it’s Allen vs Curry.  

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

14 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

also had 7 sacks and no forced fumbles.  Had 4 less TFLs.  The only thing that separates Curry from PW is that Curry has more career success and awards but many of them are team based.  His case in terms of a single season performance isn’t much different than PWs 

If all you see is stats, then you see football at a superficial level.

Curry played defense, offense and a number of special teams and had impact at all 3.  Teams did run away from him...and he constantly had double teams.

The young man played on offense as needed at fullback, wingback, TE and on the offensive line.  Who else at those number of positions.  Defensively at DE, DT and at times LB.  Name one other player that has been asked to play and be impactful at some many different positions.

Crazy part...4 year starter...playing in the MIC.  Who else??  And as a lineman!  Total disrupter.  There is no better all around player in the state.  But I believe most of us accept that the award historical goes to offensive players.  Its not right, but it is what it is.....

9 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

If all you see is stats, then you see football at a superficial level.

Curry played defense, offense and a number of special teams and had impact at all 3.  Teams did run away from him...and he constantly had double teams.

The young man played on offense as needed at fullback, wingback, TE and on the offensive line.  Who else at those number of positions.  Defensively at DE, DT and at times LB.  Name one other player that has been asked to play and be impactful at some many different positions.

Crazy part...4 year starter...playing in the MIC.  Who else??  And as a lineman!  Total disrupter.  There is no better all around player in the state.  But I believe most of us accept that the award historical goes to offensive players.  Its not right, but it is what it is.....

Pardon me while I go look at every other DL stud in the country who has offers from the same caliber college programs….and lemme check back with you to see if they also didn’t show up on the stat sheets especially in the turnover department. 

All you are doing is refusing to call a spade for a spade and setting yourself up for a fallback if Curry does not win it. 

all this talk about best player….I think this year and the playoffs especially showed who the best player in the state was and it was Brady.

im not operating off the assumption that “Curry is the best player just doesn’t have the stats”.  I really don’t think he is the best player and that’s not to speak bad of him….but there are 9 other 4 star prospects in the state for this class

the class is loaded and he isn’t some far and away better talent than everyone else 

LOL...Fall back.  Let's see how many defensive players have won the award since its beginning in 1992?  ONE.  That's not preparing for a fall back...that's called dealing with reality.

Allen may be the best offensive player in the state. (assuming we ignore that he doesn't play the highest caliber of competition)  He is not the best all around player in the state.  Not by a long shot.  If he were, we would have some STATS (lol) that are not just on the offensive side of the ball.

Allen had a great state championship game at the 3A level.  5 TD's and 3 picks. But he was not playing against Westfield.  Brady also didn't play on defense and multiple special teams.  When CG needed a first down in their title game, they brought in a defensive player and put the ball in his hands.  Did Brady ever come in and play defense on critical plays?  Was he long snapping and playing other special teams? 

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion....matters not to me.  We agree that Allen is an excellent QB.  Curry is an excellent all around football player and according to some very big power 5 schools, a heck of a defensive lineman.  4 year starter in the MIC.  Can you say that about your guy at 3A?

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I don't need to compare Popeye... You are certainly entitled to your opinion.  

1 hour ago, Screagle said:

I struggle with Allen not getting out of the sectional more than 1 time. Figured a 4 star Purdue commit with all those weapons would have won multiple sectionals.  Great player for sure. 

Although close in regular season doesn't count (ask Peyton Manning) but he was two plays from getting out of sectional two additional times.  It wasn't like the he or the team wasn't a state caliber team particularly in '19.

46 minutes ago, tango said:

Not another Mr. Football thread...

If only all our arguments mattered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Allen had a great state championship game at the 3A level.  5 TD's and 3 picks. But he was not playing against Westfield.  Brady also didn't play on defense and multiple special teams.  When CG needed a first down in their title game, they brought in a defensive player and put the ball in his hands.  Did Brady ever come in and play defense on critical plays?  Was he long snapping and playing other special teams? 

You can’t tell me to not compare apples and oranges and then sit here and ask why a QB isn’t playing defense or special teams. 

Curry was great getting those handoffs in the finals….but I’m not going to pretend that 16 carries all season (or whatever it was) is something to pound the table on.  GK3 played a little TE and made a nice snag in the redzone during his state finals game.  Nobody really cared.  

I think the rushing thing has been way overstated and people act like it carries a lot of weight when it really doesn’t 

9 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

You can’t tell me to not compare apples and oranges and then sit here and ask why a QB isn’t playing defense or special teams. 

Curry was great getting those handoffs in the finals….but I’m not going to pretend that 16 carries all season (or whatever it was) is something to pound the table on.  GK3 played a little TE and made a nice snag in the redzone during his state finals game.  Nobody really cared.  

I think the rushing thing has been way overstated and people act like it carries a lot of weight when it really doesn’t 

Curry has two receiving TD reception.  He just makes plays all over the field that I have not seen other DLs make.

Also for the record

Brady was a 4 year starter.  Only year he wasn’t the stand alone all conference QB was his freshman year where he was honorable mention to Sigler who led Heritage Hills to LOS

3 time All state QB for 3A 

2 time Top 50 all state 

no it wasn’t the MIC but Brady has been elite all 4 years.  

A282BCBD-96AF-4667-91FD-6574B6F98479.jpeg.253b761f8e8e2d604b99a4ae008390d8.jpeg

Freshman year: 14th in passing yards, 11th in passing TDs 

Sophomore year: 8th in passing yards, 11th in passing TDs 

Junior year: 10th in passing yards, 11th in passing TDs 

Senior year: 1st in passing yards (By over 800 yards) 1st in passing TDs ( 14 more than 2nd) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

Curry has two receiving TD reception.  He just makes plays all over the field that I have not seen other DLs make.

I highly recommend pulling up George Karlaftis’ HS tape.  At least for me I have been going back and looking at the last elite monster DL/edge guy Indiana has produced.  Similar measurables and all.  It’s been a good reference for me 

35 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Also for the record

Only year he wasn’t the stand alone all conference QB was his freshman year where he was honorable mention to Sigler who led Heritage Hills to LOS

No idea about the All-PAC stuff, but in 2018 (his freshman year) GS lost to Ev. Memorial in the Sectional title game. In 2019 (his soph. year) GS lost to HH in Rd. 2. 

39 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I highly recommend pulling up George Karlaftis’ HS tape.  At least for me I have been going back and looking at the last elite monster DL/edge guy Indiana has produced.  Similar measurables and all.  It’s been a good reference for me 

His highlights that I looked at are impressive but I think Curry's highlights are just as impressive and is a more versatile player. Have you even looked at any highlights from Curry?

3 minutes ago, tango said:

No idea about the All-PAC stuff, but in 2018 (his freshman year) GS lost to Ev. Memorial in the Sectional title game. In 2019 (his soph. year) GS lost to HH in Rd. 2. 

You’re right.  Thanks for the correction for some reason I was thinking Brady never played Memorial in 3A.  But now after your comment I’m remembering how 14news said after that memorial loss “this may be the last time Brady loses in high school”.  

it gave me a good laugh when I heard it….which brings up something not talked about a whole lot….and that’s Brady exceeding the Wild expectations everyone including myself put on him.  From the moment we knew Brady was elite and he had won the starting job as a freshman just weeks before the season starting…..he was basically given the task of “Win a state title for Gibson  Southern” among a bunch of other things.  For a 15-18 year old to be given the expectation of a state championship from a community who had never had one in football….that’s a lot….every year we basically tasked him with leading the team to this goal….sure it’s a team sport…but everyone knew Brady was driving that bus. 

im not sure anyone else in the state was given those expectations…especially as young as being a freshman….but I’m sure glad he led the way to reaching that goal and overcame the insane expectations placed on him 

The best all around football player I saw this season was Javon Tracy from Decatur Central.  He played wide receiver, then when DC's QB was injured he played QB, he played every down on defense, was the kicker and the kick returner.  He did not sell tickets or popcorn, as far as I know.

• Like 2