Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Case for Caden Curry

6 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

His highlights that I looked at are impressive but I think Curry's highlights are just as impressive and is a more versatile player. Have you even looked at any highlights from Curry?

Im not trying to be rude but it would be best if you would actually read what I wrote and then respond…and not just respond.

I very clearly stated in the comment you quoted that I have been using the GK3 film as a reference for Curry….yes I’ve watched Curry…I’ve been following him since he made top 50 as a sophomore (I’m not sure I’ve seen another sophomore do that).  The problem though is Curry doesn’t have much open source film.  Pretty much youtube and Twitter….but no hudl for whatever reason. 

Either way….yes is the answer to the question you didn’t even need to ask 

2 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

The best all around football player I saw this season was Javon Tracy from Decatur Central.  He played wide receiver, then when DC's QB was injured he played QB, he played every down on defense, was the kicker and the kick returner.  He did not sell tickets or popcorn, as far as I know.

I think I was seeing somewhere…maybe Twitter…but someone has been pounding the table about this guy.  I don’t really know a thing about him but that is impressive 

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

You can’t tell me to not compare apples and oranges and then sit here and ask why a QB isn’t playing defense or special teams. 

Curry was great getting those handoffs in the finals….but I’m not going to pretend that 16 carries all season (or whatever it was) is something to pound the table on.  GK3 played a little TE and made a nice snag in the redzone during his state finals game.  Nobody really cared.  

I think the rushing thing has been way overstated and people act like it carries a lot of weight when it really doesn’t 

I get it…you are one of those guys that believes your candle burns brighter when you attempt to blow out the candles of others…..

People are going to be split on this…and that’s just the way it is.  As I said, historically, this award is about offense. Relax a little.  No need to try and convince anyone. 

BTW, Curry just didn’t carry the ball when playing offense.  He blocked.  Something QB’s really appreciate.

14 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I get it…you are one of those guys that believes your candle burns brighter when you attempt to blow out the candles of others…..

People are going to be split on this…and that’s just the way it is.  As I said, historically, this award is about offense. Relax a little.  No need to try and convince anyone. 

BTW, Curry just didn’t carry the ball when playing offense.  He blocked.  Something QB’s really appreciate.

Oh yeah he has put a few guys on their backsides. I think he could be a good D1 TE.

6 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

I also know that it is extremely difficult for a Lineman (OL or DL) to win this award because many look directly at Stats.  

Sorry to be the wet blanket but Linemen don’t win it and haven’t since the second award in 1993 to Bo Barzilauskas.  Although they often should.  Actually PROBABLY should most years.

Look, everybody paying attention knew Zack Martin of Chatard (2008 season) was going to start somewhere on Sundays.  

EVERYBODY. 

He’s a pretty certain NFL Hall of Fame player at this point and likely the best Indiana football player in the NFL since Rod Woodson.

He wasn’t even considered.  DIDN’T GET A SNIFF.  I think there is a Marion County or Indianapolis Lineman of the Year award given out - he didn’t win that either.

I admit schools promote this stuff like the Oscars these days…which bothers me more than a little.

I have no horse in this race.  I’d love to see a lineman win - but they don’t.  Regardless how great they are.

Maybe things will change this year, but to be clear, there have been much worse “travesties” as regards recognition of lineman in years past if one fails to win this year.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

You can miss me with that “I’m better than you” attitude.  

everyone has already read your 5 posts about how you’re so smart because you fully understand stats don’t mean anything and you have an acquired attention to detail on all things that don’t show up on paper.  

BTW, Curry blocking as a FB is good for the RBs not the QB so much.  I’m terribly sorry that a person with such low football intellect has to inform you of this but I couldn’t possibly let you make a fool of yourself any more.  I don’t mean to be a bother…I’m just so dumb and don’t know football and can only hope to be as wise as you one day.  

32 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Sorry to be the wet blanket but Linemen don’t win it and haven’t since the second award in 1993 to Bo Barzilauskas.  Although they often should.  Actually PROBABLY should most years.

Look, everybody paying attention knew Zack Martin of Chatard (2008 season) was going to start somewhere on Sundays.  

EVERYBODY. 

He’s a pretty certain NFL Hall of Fame player at this point and likely the best Indiana football player in the NFL since Rod Woodson.

He wasn’t even considered.  DIDN’T GET A SNIFF.  I think there is a Marion County or Indianapolis Lineman of the Year award given out - he didn’t win that either.

I admit schools promote this stuff like the Oscars these days…which bothers me more than a little.

I have no horse in this race.  I’d love to see a lineman win - but they don’t.  Regardless how great they are.

Maybe things will change this year, but to be clear, there have been much worse “travesties” as regards recognition of lineman in years past if one fails to win this year.

Yep, that was a joke. He was a beast. 

And the promotion is what has made me wish they would give the award to the East Central PK and call it Ms. Football...

Edited by tango
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

You can miss me with that “I’m better than you” attitude.  

everyone has already read your 5 posts about how you’re so smart because you fully understand stats don’t mean anything and you have an acquired attention to detail on all things that don’t show up on paper.  

BTW, Curry blocking as a FB is good for the RBs not the QB so much.  I’m terribly sorry that a person with such low football intellect has to inform you of this but I couldn’t possibly let you make a fool of yourself any more.  I don’t mean to be a bother…I’m just so dumb and don’t know football and can only hope to be as wise as you one day.  

Curry just didn’t block from the offensive backfield during his time at CG. 

Enjoy the holidays. 

17 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

If all you see is stats, then you see football at a superficial level.

Curry played defense, offense and a number of special teams and had impact at all 3.  Teams did run away from him...and he constantly had double teams.

The young man played on offense as needed at fullback, wingback, TE and on the offensive line.  Who else at those number of positions.  Defensively at DE, DT and at times LB.  Name one other player that has been asked to play and be impactful at some many different positions.

Crazy part...4 year starter...playing in the MIC.  Who else??  And as a lineman!  Total disrupter.  There is no better all around player in the state.  But I believe most of us accept that the award historical goes to offensive players.  Its not right, but it is what it is.....

Wow...4 year starter in MIC is very impressive...especially as talented as CG has been...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Let’s compare him to Popeye Williams.

played a very tough 6A schedule 

also had 7 sacks and no forced fumbles.  Had 4 less TFLs.  The only thing that separates Curry from PW is that Curry has more career success and awards but many of them are team based.  His case in terms of a single season performance isn’t much different than PWs 

if it’s based on only the senior season, it’s probably hauser vs Allen

if it involves the career, it’s Allen vs Curry.  

Just curious why do you downplay Caden Curry? Is it because you want more to prop up Brady Allen (who everyone knows is a great QB) Hauser was a terrific player as was Popeye. There is a reason though that Caden Curry is the #88 national prospect in the Nation. Popeye is #353 (Hauser doesn't even show up). Yes I know you get more looks when you have size, but the film and view of Curry doesn't disappoint (nor does Popeye). I just don't get the obsession with try to down play him (like his stats were weak) and comparing a interior Defensive lineman stats to a Defensive End or Linebacker? The fact he has just as many (I believe 1 more sack not going by maxpreps) than a Defensive End (Edge rusher) and more TFL's is pretty eye opening.

12 hours ago, Lysander said:

EVERYBODY. 

Been a lot of lineman (currently in the NFL) that we knew were going to be starting on Sundays that didn't get a sniff I 100% agree with you there!! Zack Martin was a stud for sure! As were James Hurst(Plainfield), Ted Karras (Cathedral), Brandon Knight (Noblesville), Nick Martin (Chatard), Danny Pinter (SB Adams), and Jason Spriggs (Concord). All I think have had better careers than Bo Barzilauskas but didn't get Mr. Football. Unfortunately Lineman (defensive or offensive) won't get a sniff with their stats compared to and offensive RB, QB, RB that get major stats while OL pave the way to get them those stats.

12 hours ago, Lysander said:

EVERYBODY. 

No disagreement. Zack Martín was and still is a beast!!  As good as it gets.

My comments about Curry is that he played and excelled in all 3 phases of the game. He lined up in multiple defensive and offensive positions. He was the long snapper. He had punt blocks and many special teams tackles in his career. It’s his versatility and the ability to excel at these positions is why I call him the best all around player. That is not a negative on anyone else. It’s just a difference. Why some who want others to win the award attempt to diminish Curry’s accomplishments and abilities, it’s just laughable. 

But that being said, I agree and have stated it over and over…history tells us lineman don’t win this award. As I’ve said prior multiple times,  don’t expect it to be any different this year. 

42 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Just curious why do you downplay Caden Curry? Is it because you want more to prop up Brady Allen (who everyone knows is a great QB) Hauser was a terrific player as was Popeye. There is a reason though that Caden Curry is the #88 national prospect in the Nation. Popeye is #353 (Hauser doesn't even show up). Yes I know you get more looks when you have size, but the film and view of Curry doesn't disappoint (nor does Popeye). I just don't get the obsession with try to down play him (like his stats were weak) and comparing a interior Defensive lineman stats to a Defensive End or Linebacker? The fact he has just as many (I believe 1 more sack not going by maxpreps) than a Defensive End (Edge rusher) and more TFL's is pretty eye opening.

I’m not trying to downplay Curry…I’m really not.  But for the top award and for someone who many declare as the “best in state”….7 sacks and 0 forced fumbles isn’t going to cut it imo. 

Curry is still amazing…I am actually a big fan of him.  I just don’t think he did enough to win the award this year…and honestly I am trying to just keep the argument peaceful. 

to be completely honest….it’s very irritating that i have repeatedly adjusted my arguments here to fit the criteria of the CG fans…and then in the end I just get labeled as a hater.  
Whether it was the SoS of the two players on their teams….the stats…the historical values of what they have accomplished…whatever….I have repeatedly adjusted my arguments and debates here to fit what CG fans value as being important…and the result is that I’m just labeled as someone who doesn’t like Curry when thats not the case at all.

Many here want to do all these mental gymnastics for their argument….and I have adjusted to those….it is entirely possible to respect the crap out of a player and the talent they have AND recognize that someone else had a more impressive season and did more to win this award.  

40 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I’m not trying to downplay Curry…I’m really not.  But for the top award and for someone who many declare as the “best in state”….7 sacks and 0 forced fumbles isn’t going to cut it imo

Curry is still amazing…I am actually a big fan of him.  I just don’t think he did enough to win the award this year…and honestly I am trying to just keep the argument peaceful. 

to be completely honest….it’s very irritating that i have repeatedly adjusted my arguments here to fit the criteria of the CG fans…and then in the end I just get labeled as a hater.  
Whether it was the SoS of the two players on their teams….the stats…the historical values of what they have accomplished…whatever….I have repeatedly adjusted my arguments and debates here to fit what CG fans value as being important…and the result is that I’m just labeled as someone who doesn’t like Curry when thats not the case at all.

Many here want to do all these mental gymnastics for their argument….and I have adjusted to those….it is entirely possible to respect the crap out of a player and the talent they have AND recognize that someone else had a more impressive season and did more to win this award.  

7 sacks (which he actually had 8 not using maxpreps) 24 TFL's 65 total tackles is very impressive for an interior Defensive Lineman in a 3 man front. Especially playing at the level he is with 6A opponents in the best conference in Indiana. Which is why I ask.

I don't find you as someone who doesn't like Curry, I just am trying to understand why the down play and comparing him to a LB and a Defensive End in a 4 man front when he played interior on a 3 man front. That would be like comparing Allen to a RB or a QB in a Wing T.

I am no supporter of Center Grove, have no ties to them whatsoever. But I have watched Curry play live in action at least 8 times the last 3 years, and on TV in games at least 14 times the last 3 years. He has been a nightmare for Offenses to where they have to gameplan (run away from him, double and triple team him, and even create screens to his side) yet he still chases down plays and makes the tackle. I've watched it live and on TV as well as highlight reels. He will hit a QB and make a tackle on the RB for a loss or minimal gain, chase down RB from the backside for a TFL or minimal gain even run out to make a tackle on a WR that a pass has been completed to.

While you may not think his stats don't cut it many P5 colleges did. Like I have said before defenders have no chance to beat out a stat crazy QB, RB, or WR. Doesn't mean his stats from his position should be minimized. Yes I feel Brady Allen had an amazing season at QB, but I don't feel his play on the field was more amazing than Curry's. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

7 sacks (which he actually had 8 not using maxpreps) 24 TFL's 65 total tackles is very impressive for an interior Defensive Lineman in a 3 man front. Especially playing at the level he is with 6A opponents in the best conference in Indiana. Which is why I ask.

I don't find you as someone who doesn't like Curry, I just am trying to understand why the down play and comparing him to a LB and a Defensive End in a 4 man front when he played interior on a 3 man front. That would be like comparing Allen to a RB or a QB in a Wing T.

I am no supporter of Center Grove, have no ties to them whatsoever. But I have watched Curry play live in action at least 8 times the last 3 years, and on TV in games at least 14 times the last 3 years. He has been a nightmare for Offenses to where they have to gameplan (run away from him, double and triple team him, and even create screens to his side) yet he still chases down plays and makes the tackle. I've watched it live and on TV as well as highlight reels. He will hit a QB and make a tackle on the RB for a loss or minimal gain, chase down RB from the backside for a TFL or minimal gain even run out to make a tackle on a WR that a pass has been completed to.

While you may not think his stats don't cut it many P5 colleges did. Like I have said before defenders have no chance to beat out a stat crazy QB, RB, or WR. Doesn't mean his stats from his position should be minimized. Yes I feel Brady Allen had an amazing season at QB, but I don't feel his play on the field was more amazing than Curry's. 

I’ll give you props for giving probably the best argument I have read on any of these threads for Curry.  For once we have something about what Curry does specifically.  

ive watched the film and have seen these things…obviously not attending games live leaves some things out but you included them.  

and i get the whole interior DL thing…it’s just there is a difference between a guy like Vita Vea who is probably the #2 or #3 down defenseman in the nfl…and Aaron Donald. I know that vita vea is elite even if the stats don’t reflect it but know some guys still get those stats.  

back to the world of HS football…what I want to ask/bring up is how Curry had a more impressive JR season…at least statistically.  I don’t feel like defenses changed a whole lot because Curry has been a priority for 3+ years to defend…but his impact seemed to be greater last year than this year.  Obviously that might not be the case but the stats lend itself that way. 

regardless of any of this…I do appreciate an actual response to this topic and not a deflection to team accomplishments like 28-0 or whatever.  Up until now I have felt that all the points being made were just generic window dressings or deflections. 

I don’t see the point in debating with somebody fixated on stats but Curry’s value is obvious to those who watched him play. Ask opposing coaches who had them altering their game plans more than Curry. The answer is nobody. The plan against CG was a quick pass because anything else would lead to a sack or a QB running for his life and Curry was usually faster than the QB. 

Strength to fight through constant double teams, length to bat down passes over the middle, speed to run the ball down, and excellent technique for it all. Want to run against our 3-man front?  Good luck. Each man covered at least two gaps. How good is Curry?  So good that teams opted to run at our Michigan State recruit instead. 

Curry is a freak of nature. He’s stronger, faster, more technically sound, and more aggressive than his opponents. I’m not sure he has a weakness. Maybe he could be taller?   You will be watching him play for a long time. 

And note that I not only avoided the stat crutch, I also said nothing negative about Allen.  

39 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I’ll give you props for giving probably the best argument I have read on any of these threads for Curry.  For once we have something about what Curry does specifically.  

ive watched the film and have seen these things…obviously not attending games live leaves some things out but you included them.  

and i get the whole interior DL thing…it’s just there is a difference between a guy like Vita Vea who is probably the #2 or #3 down defenseman in the nfl…and Aaron Donald. I know that vita vea is elite even if the stats don’t reflect it but know some guys still get those stats.  

back to the world of HS football…what I want to ask/bring up is how Curry had a more impressive JR season…at least statistically.  I don’t feel like defenses changed a whole lot because Curry has been a priority for 3+ years to defend…but his impact seemed to be greater last year than this year.  Obviously that might not be the case but the stats lend itself that way. 

regardless of any of this…I do appreciate an actual response to this topic and not a deflection to team accomplishments like 28-0 or whatever.  Up until now I have felt that all the points being made were just generic window dressings or deflections. 

I can answer that. His Junior year Center Grove also had Austin Booker a 6-6 240 lbs D-Lineman. So they couldn't really run away from him it didn't matter which side you went to they had it covered. This year no Booker on the other side so teams tried to run on opposite side of Curry. Just my personal opinion (take it for what it is worth). CG has had some pretty good D-lineman the last couple of years which have even boosted the LB tackle stats.

Don't feel this is an attack towards you, I just wanted to point out its not an exact comparison when taking an interior D-lineman from a 3 man front and comparing to a DE on a 4 man front or a LB. While I think Allen will win off his stats. I don't think Curry should be diminished or the terrific year he had (coming from a non Center Grove supporter that has watched him live and on TV multiple times). I still think you bring great content to the GID and respect you for that.

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

I can answer that. His Junior year Center Grove also had Austin Booker a 6-6 240 lbs D-Lineman. So they couldn't really run away from him it didn't matter which side you went to they had it covered. This year no Booker on the other side so teams tried to run on opposite side of Curry. Just my personal opinion (take it for what it is worth). CG has had some pretty good D-lineman the last couple of years which have even boosted the LB tackle stats.

Don't feel this is an attack towards you, I just wanted to point out its not an exact comparison when taking an interior D-lineman from a 3 man front and comparing to a DE on a 4 man front or a LB. While I think Allen will win off his stats. I don't think Curry should be diminished or the terrific year he had (coming from a non Center Grove supporter that has watched him live and on TV multiple times). I still think you bring great content to the GID and respect you for that.

No attack felt.  I love a good debate. 

your reasoning for the stat bump last year makes sense. 

don’t give me too much credit on this forum lol.  I just bring up things I find interesting or reply to things I don’t agree with…or that I do agree with but I hate the logic someone uses to get to the right answer. 

the main reason I’m on here is to know who the future college studs are and to follow GS/3A football.  3A is pound for pound the most fun to follow and watch every year and compared to the football here in Wisconsin, I enjoy it a lot more. 

@Muda69would love HS football here in Wisconsin…lots of big ole lineman and lots of running the ball 

• Thanks 1