Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

New MIC 10 on the Horizon

11 hours ago, HHF said:

Impressive bit of research.  3 factors immediately come to mind as I contemplate your question.

1. CN is not at all thrilled with the year to year instability of Conference Indiana.  Travel to Bloomington and Terre Haute are less than desirable.  The school would prefer to find a new long term home.

2. Joining The New MIC means avoiding CG and CA during the regular season.  Meeting them in the post season is something I think Bless would eventually embrace, assuming he has a strong team to offer.  

3. Outside of CG and CA, the MIC is in a downward spiral from a competitive standpoint.  I doubt he is intimidated at the prospect of playing BD and WC.  CN played both Roncalli and Cathedral this year, 2 Top 5 teams in the state.  I dont see CN hiding from this type of challenge.  Bless was giving his best Lou Holtz response when he addressed the enrollment question.  

The chance to be in the spotlight every Friday night and away from the CI nightmare should be a no brainer for CN.  They should already have their application in as we speak.

So Carmel and CG want a new vision for their athletics because of "culture" differences, but Columbus North wouldn't care?

49 minutes ago, temptation said:

Many Mid-State programs are still of the old school mentality in hiring teachers first and if they are great coaches then so be it...the HCC/MIC use the college/SEC model of hiring great coaches and finding teaching positions for them...and the outrageous salary differences bear that out.

Off topic here...my main argument is that Avon belongs. I would think Bless would fit this description as well. It's not John Hart money, but it's still a pretty penny to coach.

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Avon’s F/R/L percentage (there it is again) is 6x that of Zionsville’s and 4x that of Carmel’s and the gap is growing.

If by “fine” you mean bottom half of the conference in every sport, you’re right.

They’d have the lowest rate among current MIC schools.

They need to make the move.

Avon is planning on breaking ground in late 2022 or early 2023 on the new Easton Grey development, a mixed use community along the White Lick greenway.  Along with high-end apartments and townhomes, there will be approx. 850 single family homes, ranging in price from $350k - $750k and up. This will be the long sought "downtown" Avon has been missing. Not all of those families will send their kids to Avon schools, but those that do will only help the F/R/L percentage. I know parents that sought out Avon schools because of their commitment to inclusion. Avon's high graduation rate does not fit in with Marion County school systems. In summary, Avon has no interest in leaving the HCC.  

And yes, Avon has fielded state level competitive teams in track, wrestling, soccer, volleyball, football, softball,  etc. 

The thing about Carmel is this....  they are going to dominate everyone in swimming, tennis, cross country. Every other sport will be cyclical but they will be top 5 in most. They will be a great challenge to HCC athletics to raise the bar.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Avon is planning on breaking ground in late 2022 or early 2023 on the new Easton Grey development, a mixed use community along the White Lick greenway.  Along with high-end apartments and townhomes, there will be approx. 850 single family homes, ranging in price from $350k - $750k and up. This will be the long sought "downtown" Avon has been missing. Not all of those families will send their kids to Avon schools, but those that do will only help the F/R/L percentage. I know parents that sought out Avon schools because of their commitment to inclusion. Avon's high graduation rate does not fit in with Marion County school systems. In summary, Avon has no interest in leaving the HCC.  

And yes, Avon has fielded state level competitive teams in track, wrestling, soccer, volleyball, football, softball,  etc. 

The thing about Carmel is this....  they are going to dominate everyone in swimming, tennis, cross country. Every other sport will be cyclical but they will be top 5 in most. They will be a great challenge to HCC athletics to raise the bar.

We will see.  You make some valid points but I have my doubts.

2 hours ago, Staxawax said:

So Carmel and CG want a new vision for their athletics because of "culture" differences, but Columbus North wouldn't care?

You're standing in front of the dart board with common sense, less chance one of the darts he throws blindfolded hit the dart board.

Blindfold darts bullseye GIF on GIFER - by Oghmarne

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, temptation said:

Avon’s F/R/L percentage (there it is again) is 6x that of Zionsville’s and 4x that of Carmel’s and the gap is growing.

If by “fine” you mean bottom half of the conference in every sport, you’re right.

They’d have the lowest rate among current MIC schools.

They need to make the move.

If that's the case, would Avon be a better match for something like NCC ... yes, I know it's a longshot ... if

• NCC could convince Tech to go to the MIC ... since according to one GID source they would be a perfect fit after IPS gets rid of all of the other schools and forces them Tech's way
  • NCC could pick up another 6A puncher

Another thought, but much more spitballing here, if you could shake Jeff and Harrison loose from the NCC and Avonfrom HCC, who else might be possible to shake loose from other conferences to form a new conference?  There's still the question over this MIC action is tied just to the MIC and its two former members, MIC and HCC, or possible domino tumbling set in place.  This would be part of that last option of dominoes tumbling.

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

If that's the case, would Avon be a better match for something like NCC ... yes, I know it's a longshot ... if

• NCC could convince Tech to go to the MIC ... since according to one GID source they would be a perfect fit after IPS gets rid of all of the other schools and forces them Tech's way
  • NCC could pick up another 6A puncher

Another thought, but much more spitballing here, if you could shake Jeff and Harrison loose from the NCC and Avonfrom HCC, who else might be possible to shake loose from other conferences to form a new conference?  There's still the question over this MIC action is tied just to the MIC and its two former members, MIC and HCC, or possible domino tumbling set in place.  This would be part of that last option of dominoes tumbling.

Tech to the MIC would be an unmitigated disaster.

7 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

I don't seeing the MIC kicking out two charter members and then just rushing to add schools. I think it has to be a school that's going to check the boxes identified in the letter.

The most important box = don’t bully us and win conference titles in nearly every sport 

It's going to be Decatur Central and whatever school wants out of the new HCC. DC plays MIC schools in EVERY sport besides football and to me, they're an easy addition. DC's upside is way higher than Southport, Tech, Perry, Kokomo, etc. The MIC should add a school that looks and acts like them, other than enrollment disparities. 

5 minutes ago, MICFan34 said:

It's going to be Decatur Central and whatever school wants out of the new HCC. DC plays MIC schools in EVERY sport besides football and to me, they're an easy addition. DC's upside is way higher than Southport, Tech, Perry, Kokomo, etc. The MIC should add a school that looks and acts like them, other than enrollment disparities. 

Tell me what sport Decatur Central finishes in the top half of an 8 team MIC in…other than softball.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

Tell me what sport Decatur Central finishes in the top half of an 8 team MIC in…other than softball.

Like you said earlier, they have still have an old school mentality when it comes to hiring teachers first, coaches second. 

But don't you think playing in the MIC in every sport will elevate them in their playoffs? 

Their sectionals almost always include Pike and BD.

But softball and baseball would be my guesses?

13 minutes ago, MICFan34 said:

Like you said earlier, they have still have an old school mentality when it comes to hiring teachers first, coaches second. 

But don't you think playing in the MIC in every sport will elevate them in their playoffs? 

Their sectionals almost always include Pike and BD.

But softball and baseball would be my guesses?

It depends on the narrative that particular year.  

Often times MIC teams that win state titles cite “the grind” preparing themselves for battle.  

But when they lose, it’s that same “grind” that wore them out.  (I believe this exact quote was the reasoning that Center Grove and Warren moved their annual week 10 battle to the beginning of the season a few years back.)

Decatur Central is NOT Zionsville.  The Eagles benefit as a 5A program playing in a 6A conference as they are an affluent community with great support.  Decatur Central is a far cry from both.

Edited by temptation

9 minutes ago, temptation said:

It depends on the narrative that particular year.  

Often times MIC teams that win state titles cite “the grind” preparing themselves for battle.  

But when they lose, it’s that same “grind” that wore them out.  (I believe this exact quote was the reasoning that Center Grove and Warren moved their annual week 10 battle to the beginning of the season a few years back.)

Decatur Central is NOT Zionsville.  The Eagles benefit as a 5A program playing in a 6A conference as they are an affluent community with great support.  Decatur Central is a far cry from both.

But can DC turn into a medium Zville? They are building in Camby rn and these houses are going for $270+. That's not typical DC. Wonder if they can start to pull some money from Perry Township. 

13 hours ago, foxbat said:

Another thought, but much more spitballing here, if you could shake Jeff and Harrison loose from the NCC and Avonfrom HCC,

How come nobody seems to care about McCutcheon?  Are they the red-headed stepchild of the Tippecanoe County & Lafayette government school systems?

11 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

I don't seeing the MIC kicking out two charter members and then just rushing to add schools. I think it has to be a school that's going to check the boxes identified in the letter.

Interested to see MIC schools fill their non conference games in football. That will be 4 non conference games now. Hard enough for MIC schools to find games.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

How come nobody seems to care about McCutcheon?  Are they the red-headed stepchild of the Tippecanoe County & Lafayette government school systems?

Jeff / Harrison are likely to move together due to the fact that both will be 6A.  McCutcheon is currently, and likely to stay 5A.  It's highly likely that, wherever Harrison goes McCutcheon would likely follow, but I also don't know that that is a given. 

McCutcheon would be fine for sports, although the female sports have thrived more than the male sports recently.  Their women's volleyball just won state this year and are in the set of favorites to do it again next year.  Women's soccer has also done well in the NCC.  Boys' basketball has taken conference a couple of times recently.

Nothing against McCutcheon, but a big part of the focus with Harrison moving up to 6A, since they just passed Jeff in numbers, is playing more than two competitive 6A schools a season.  Right now the NCC only provides Jeff as their 6A foil along with non-conference Westfield.  Occasionally, Kokomo, in 5A, squeezes into that mix, but that set of three provides a problem should Harrison move up to 6A and decide that they would like to strive deeper in the post-season.  If not, then staying in the NCC is fine for them.  I suspect that the former is where the program is likely headed.

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Coach just retired

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Jeff / Harrison are likely to move together due to the fact that both will be 6A.  McCutcheon is currently, and likely to stay 5A.  It's highly likely that, wherever Harrison goes McCutcheon would likely follow, but I also don't know that that is a given. 

McCutcheon would be fine for sports, although the female sports have thrived more than the male sports recently.  Their women's volleyball just won state this year and are in the set of favorites to do it again next year.  Women's soccer has also done well in the NCC.  Boys' basketball has taken conference a couple of times recently.

Nothing against McCutcheon, but a big part of the focus with Harrison moving up to 6A, since they just passed Jeff in numbers, is playing more than two competitive 6A schools a season.  Right now the NCC only provides Jeff as their 6A foil along with non-conference Westfield.  Occasionally, Kokomo, in 5A, squeezes into that mix, but that set of three provides a problem should Harrison move up to 6A and decide that they would like to strive deeper in the post-season.  If not, then staying in the NCC is fine for them.  I suspect that the former is where the program is likely headed.

Harrison and McCutcheon are a package deal, and Jeff likely stays with them in any conference moves.  I don’t think the size of schools they play in football matters as much as the quality of the competition.  The bigger concern for the 3 Tippecanoe County schools is the lack of competition in sports other than boys basketball.  Their best fit in terms of competitive balance and similar enrollments would be the Duneland Conference.  The Lafayette area schools have played Duneland schools in many sports, and the drive times wouldn’t be that different from their current trips in the NCC.  The Duneland schools would be reluctant to expand south when their conference currently has 8 members that are all relatively close together.  The time zone change would be a problem also.  I would not be surprised if Harrison and Jeff end up in a 6A sectional with 2 Duneland Conference schools.

The regular season series between Harrison and Westfield is ending.  Harrison will play West Lafayette and Plainfield as non-conference opponents.  Lafayette Jeff has switched from West Lafayette and Lawrence Central to Cathedral and Michigan City for their 2 non-conference games.  McCutcheon plays Guerin Catholic and West Lafayette.

6 minutes ago, HoopsCoach said:

Harrison and McCutcheon are a package deal, and Jeff likely stays with them in any conference moves.  I don’t think the size of schools they play in football matters as much as the quality of the competition.  The bigger concern for the 3 Tippecanoe County schools is the lack of competition in sports other than boys basketball.  Their best fit in terms of competitive balance and similar enrollments would be the Duneland Conference.  The Lafayette area schools have played Duneland schools in many sports, and the drive times wouldn’t be that different from their current trips in the NCC.  The Duneland schools would be reluctant to expand south when their conference currently has 8 members that are all relatively close together.  The time zone change would be a problem also.  I would not be surprised if Harrison and Jeff end up in a 6A sectional with 2 Duneland Conference schools.

The regular season series between Harrison and Westfield is ending.  Harrison will play West Lafayette and Plainfield as non-conference opponents.  Lafayette Jeff has switched from West Lafayette and Lawrence Central to Cathedral and Michigan City for their 2 non-conference games.  McCutcheon plays Guerin Catholic and West Lafayette.

And then WL falls asleep for 7 weeks in the HC and gets bumped in the first round of the tournament.  

I dont see the Duneland reaching out and saving the 3 Lafayette nomads.  A better option is for Lafayette to create its own city based conference with its core 5 schools and invite 3 more to join.  Those 3 would be Kokomo, Logansport and Lebanon.

Harrison

Jeff

McCutcheon

LCC

WL

Kokomo

Lebanon

Logansport

This is a huge jump in overall football competition for all schools and a massive reduction in travel.  

For those who might feel that this is too much for LCC, 2A Luers competes in The SAC with 6A schools.  2A Mater Dei competes in the SIAC with 5A schools, and 3A Marian and St Joe compete in the NIC with mega 3000 plus enrollment 6A schools.  

3 minutes ago, HHF said:

And then WL falls asleep for 7 weeks in the HC and gets bumped in the first round of the tournament.  

I dont see the Duneland reaching out and saving the 3 Lafayette nomads.  A better option is for Lafayette to create its own city based conference with its core 5 schools and invite 3 more to join.  Those 3 would be Kokomo, Logansport and Lebanon.

Harrison

Jeff

McCutcheon

LCC

WL

Kokomo

Lebanon

Logansport

This is a huge jump in overall football competition for all schools and a massive reduction in travel.  

For those who might feel that this is too much for LCC, 2A Luers competes in The SAC with 6A schools.  2A Mater Dei competes in the SIAC with 5A schools, and 3A Marian and St Joe compete in the NIC with mega 3000 plus enrollment 6A schools.  

If tghis is too much for LCC, Frankfort would be an option, with the committment from the Frankfort administration that they will invest resources in better facilities, staff and equipment in an effort to upgrade thier program

59 minutes ago, HHF said:

If tghis is too much for LCC, Frankfort would be an option, with the committment from the Frankfort administration that they will invest resources in better facilities, staff and equipment in an effort to upgrade thier program

Commitment from Frankfort? Muda preaches every week how Frankfort would be better off playing co-op flag football.