Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Opting Out of Bowl Games

Bobref

At the rate we are going, play in bowl games (other than the CFP games) will inevitably deteriorate as more and more of the better players opt out. Saw this morning that Kenny Pickett, Pitt’s Heisman finalist QB, won’t play in the Peach Bowl. His two backups have attempted a total of 18 passes this year.

I understand the economic issue. It’s the whole Jaylon Smith thing. But I continue to believe that $$ should not be the only consideration. If you’re a player who is going to be drafted, that reality is based on your performance as a player. And your performance is dependent to a degree on your teammates and coaches who helped you get there. So now, when they get to a big stage, you’re not going to be there with them? You’re going to leave them in the lurch? With the prevalence of “loss of value” insurance, players can protect their downside risk. Is there a place left in the game for loyalty and obligation, or is the money just too big?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bobref said:

At the rate we are going, play in bowl games (other than the CFP games) will inevitably deteriorate as more and more of the better players opt out. Saw this morning that Kenny Pickett, Pitt’s Heisman finalist QB, won’t play in the Peach Bowl. His two backups have attempted a total of 18 passes this year.

I understand the economic issue. It’s the whole Jaylon Smith thing. But I continue to believe that $$ should not be the only consideration. If you’re a player who is going to be drafted, that reality is based on your performance as a player. And your performance is dependent to a degree on your teammates and coaches who helped you get there. So now, when they get to a big stage, you’re not going to be there with them? You’re going to leave them in the lurch? With the prevalence of “loss of value” insurance, players can protect their downside risk. Is there a place left in the game for loyalty and obligation, or is the money just too big?

Do players that opt out have a certain date to make this decision?

If so, what if the decision has to be made prior to teams finding out where they will play their bowl game….

29 minutes ago, DE said:

If so, what if the decision has to be made prior to teams finding out where they will play their bowl game….

While this may work, it gets to be a cat and mouse situation then. Now ,as the likeness situation evolves mor and more,it’s the University owes you everything and the player owes the university nothing. Ethical and moral issues aside. 

2 hours ago, DE said:

As a practical matter, that won’t work. A kid says he won’t opt out. The deadline passes. He changes his mind. What are you going to do? Force him to play?

So the show goes on, with or without first round draft pick. I’ll still watch if it’s a team I follow is playing.   I’ll even attend the game if it’s in warm weather. I think most that follow teams will do the same. Sponsors know this.  If the money is there, the show goes on. 

2 hours ago, southend said:

So the show goes on, with or without first round draft pick. I’ll still watch if it’s a team I follow is playing.   I’ll even attend the game if it’s in warm weather. I think most that follow teams will do the same. Sponsors know this.  If the money is there, the show goes on. 

I was thinking of it more from a player’s standpoint. If I were a kid about to make it big, who got help from my teammates all along the way, I don’t know how I could look them in the face  and tell them “thanks,” but they’ll have to play in their NY6 bowl game against a worthy opponent without me.

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I was thinking of it more from a player’s standpoint. If I were a kid about to make it big, who got help from my teammates all along the way, I don’t know how I could look them in the face  and tell them “thanks,” but they’ll have to play in their NY6 bowl game against a worthy opponent without me.

Yes, this is a generational difference, from ours to the present. My parents instilled in me exactly what you are saying. Probably starting with my generation, we didn’t do a good enough job. To much me, me , me now.  

25 minutes ago, southend said:

Yes, this is a generational difference, from ours to the present. My parents instilled in me exactly what you are saying. Probably starting with my generation, we didn’t do a good enough job. To much me, me , me now.  

The money is just so enormous. It’s generational, life-changing money. I don’t condemn them. 

22 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The money is just so enormous. It’s generational, life-changing money. I don’t condemn them. 

Are there studies out there of these athletes (the ones we are talking about only) who end up broke?  Then what?

I agree, the money is enormous.

17 minutes ago, southend said:

But it is still the me me me. I don’t think anyone condemns them now days, but for me it doesn’t seem right ,for everyone else on the team ,that wants to win that game. But it’s just a game in perspective. 

I have also heard where their teammates support them for opting out.

I am in your "camp" southend.  I would never think of leaving my teammates like this, BUT, I have also never been in the situation we are discussing.

14 minutes ago, DE said:

Are there studies out there of these athletes (the ones we are talking about only) who end up broke?  Then what?

I agree, the money is enormous.

I have also heard where their teammates support them for opting out.

I am in your "camp" southend.  I would never think of leaving my teammates like this, BUT, I have also never been in the situation we are discussing.

Right, with no moral or conscience pressures about this kind of move.

I don’t think my or your parents would have condoned it. But I’m with you, not actually put in that situation. 

2 minutes ago, southend said:

Right, with no moral or conscience pressures about this kind of move.

I don’t think my or your parents would have condoned it. But I’m with you, not actually put in that situation. 

Correct.

I think it depends on the player and what their expectations were coming in

if you were a 5 star recruit….the college probably discussed a plan to go to the nfl after 3 years if the player can prove they belong there….in this case it was the plan all along.  Like Trevor Lawrence…that kid was never going to play 4 years…let alone anything not playoffs. 

just what it is…and when they sign a recruit like GK3 or whoever….they know they only have 3 years and it’s part of the plan to develop them quickly. 

50 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Perhaps athletes are overpaid?  

This certainly didn’t use to be an issue in the past. $$ seems to drive the “me first” behavior. 

Just searching for root cause…

Overpaid? Seems to me they are paid what the market dictates. That is at odds with my definition of “overpaid.”

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Overpaid? Seems to me they are paid what the market dictates. That is at odds with my definition of “overpaid.”

In the markets of the billions of dollars for CFB and NFL….no such thing as overpaid athletes. 

some of these college football programs are taking in more money than the NFL in terms of stadium/game day revenue.  Especially when you consider many college stadiums are larger than any of the NFL.

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

We can agree to disagree. I don’t place entertainment at the top of the value chain. I realize others do. Additionally the focus more on sports are corporations than it is on the direct paying fan. 

Just a theory as to why an athlete will turn his back on his teammates in a big game. The money is so excessive that it drives this behavior. Too much to risk. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Because of COVID issues, Texas A&M was opted out of the Gator Bowl and will be replaced by a 5-7 Rutgers team.  I would think Wake Forst might like that.

Saw many reports stating that there was much more than just Covid “issues” as to why TAM backed out. 
Top players opting out/QB transferring/numerous injuries

Sounded like Covid was a convenient “excuse” when Matich (who supported TAM backing out) and his co-host on tonight’s college bowl games discussed that topic. 

Oh well. Good for Rutgers and WF. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DE said:

Saw many reports stating that there was much more than just Covid “issues” as to why TAM backed out. 
Top players opting out/QB transferring/numerous injuries

Sounded like Covid was a convenient “excuse” when Matich (who supported TAM backing out) and his co-host on tonight’s college bowl games discussed that topic. 

Oh well. Good for Rutgers and WF. 

Par for the course for Jimbo Fisher.