Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

GEICO State Champions Bowl Series

Found this when flipping around the dial. High school state champions play one another. Just watched the Washington state champ score a TD with 1 second left to beat the Georgia state champ. They’re playing at Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas, Nevada. Apparently, whatever it is about traveling more than 300 mi. from the state line that afflicts Indiana kids is not shared by kids from Georgia or Washington. … Or Florida and Arizona, who also participated. How great would it have been to see Center Grove in a game like that? Maybe someday Indiana will be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the modern era.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This concept has been around since 2014 without a lot of fanfare and little notice.    As a fan, I love the matchups but there are only a few states that participate.    I just can't see this ever being a major event since most states don't participate and even in those states that do, many teams move on after state finals to basketball.     

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Found this when flipping around the dial. High school state champions play one another. Just watched the Washington state champ score a TD with 1 second left to beat the Georgia state champ. They’re playing at Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas, Nevada. Apparently, whatever it is about traveling more than 300 mi. from the state line that afflicts Indiana kids is not shared by kids from Georgia or Washington. … Or Florida and Arizona, who also participated. How great would it have been to see Center Grove in a game like that? Maybe someday Indiana will be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the modern era.

2 hours ago, whiteshoes said:

This concept has been around since 2014 without a lot of fanfare and little notice.    As a fan, I love the matchups but there are only a few states that participate.    I just can't see this ever being a major event since most states don't participate and even in those states that do, many teams move on after state finals to basketball.     

I don't think it has to be widespread or all-in.  The experience would be phenomenal for kids.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ASJCPUMA said:

Why not Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, and Michigan 2 games Lucas Oil?

Now you're talking.   Why not?    What a great four or two game set we could have early in the season with our best against the adjoining states.    I have been preaching this for years, but it never gains any traction.

34 minutes ago, whiteshoes said:

Now you're talking.   Why not?    What a great four or two game set we could have early in the season with our best against the adjoining states.    I have been preaching this for years, but it never gains any traction.

There are already schools in Ohio and Kentucky that cross state lines to play Indiana teams on a regular basis.  There are a couple of other programs in Illinois that have also played Indiana teams too ... like Crete-Monee and St. Joe-Ogden and some others in that Iliana border.  We've also had situations where we've had kick-off weekends or early-season weekends at LOS with about eight Indiana schools.  Maybe hit some of the lower-hanging fruit, with some of those out-of-state teams that are more likely to join in, and have something like a Multi-State Kickoff Classic at LOS in the first couple of weeks of the season.  Might eventually strike up something post-season too.

51 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Who is going to pay for the transportation, lodging, meals, etc. for such an extravagance?

There are promoters that are currently staging multi-game events throughout the country.    How do you think Miami (FL) Central was able to play at Bellflower (CA) in week one and Las Vegas in week two.    Santa Ana (CA) Mater Dei is already looking for an out-of-state game for next season.     It can be done, but would need some third party with the understanding of the cost and promotional aspect of the event.   Years ago we attended the Herbstreit Classic games in Cincinnati which featured as many as twelve to fourteen games at various sites.    Somehow they were able to bring teams in from every corner of the country.   It can be done, but again, it will take an organization with knowledge of how to structure the event to cover cost.    If you keep it to the adjoining states, it should reduce the cost as most can travel the day of the event.

3 hours ago, foxbat said:

There are already schools in Ohio and Kentucky that cross state lines to play Indiana teams on a regular basis.  There are a couple of other programs in Illinois that have also played Indiana teams too ... like Crete-Monee and St. Joe-Ogden and some others in that Iliana border.  We've also had situations where we've had kick-off weekends or early-season weekends at LOS with about eight Indiana schools.  Maybe hit some of the lower-hanging fruit, with some of those out-of-state teams that are more likely to join in, and have something like a Multi-State Kickoff Classic at LOS in the first couple of weeks of the season.  Might eventually strike up something post-season too.

University City (MO) near my old stomping grounds in the Saint Louis area, played an Evansville area school a few years ago, if I remember.  

I am positive that East Saint Louis, IL also has made the trip. 

Bowling Green, KY has been to Warren Central also, as well as Gibson Southern heading down to BG, KY and playing South Warren . These are absurdly stretching the "mileage parameters" that exist (for some reason).... but seems to only happen in Southern IN for the most part. 

Other than an occasional Bishop Luers vs. a Columbus OH Catholic HS (when the SAC was an 8 team conference).... These interstate matchups are few and far between.  

Thank goodness for Cathedral and their seeking out the 'best of the best' as far as the IHSAA allows.....???

4 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

University City (MO) near my old stomping grounds in the Saint Louis area, played an Evansville area school a few years ago, if I remember.  

I am positive that East Saint Louis, IL also has made the trip. 

Bowling Green, KY has been to Warren Central also, as well as Gibson Southern heading down to BG, KY and playing South Warren . These are absurdly stretching the "mileage parameters" that exist (for some reason).... but seems to only happen in Southern IN for the most part. 

Other than an occasional Bishop Luers vs. a Columbus OH Catholic HS (when the SAC was an 8 team conference).... These interstate matchups are few and far between.  

Thank goodness for Cathedral and their seeking out the 'best of the best' as far as the IHSAA allows.....???

I am not against playing out of state opponents.

I am not a fan of playing in these after the season "showcases"/"tournaments"/whatever they are called.

I like your post Yucca.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DE said:

I am not against playing out of state opponents.

I am not a fan of playing in these after the season "showcases"/"tournaments"/whatever they are called.

I like your post Yucca.

No need for our schools to 'prove' anything to anyone as far as I am concerned.

But if a relaxed atmosphere could be allowed during the IHSAA regular season, for those schools who have the opportunity to do so...They should be allowed to play outside of a 300 mile radius.  

I can assure you, the number of schools would be minimal; Due to expenses, travel, focus on education....etc.

Postseason or otherwise (National Championship) aspirations are not, nor should be the purpose of IN schools.  Let others rank and pontificate on that.  

Edited by Yuccaguy
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, whiteshoes said:

There are promoters that are currently staging multi-game events throughout the country.   

And how do these promoters make money on such events?  It's not like they have the gate draw of say an Alabama-Michigan football matchup.  And how many Hoosiers are going to travel to a Las Vegas, Miami, or Los Angeles to see a Center Grove play in such an event?  Sure, the parents and family will, but they won't fill a football stadium.

43 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

And how do these promoters make money on such events?  It's not like they have the gate draw of say an Alabama-Michigan football matchup.  And how many Hoosiers are going to travel to a Las Vegas, Miami, or Los Angeles to see a Center Grove play in such an event?  Sure, the parents and family will, but they won't fill a football stadium.

Promoters make their money through corporate sponsorship and ad buys.    Sometimes they get regional or national television networks to cover the games which brings in additional cash.   You would think that Lilly, the Colts, Indianapolis Convention and Tourism or someone similar would be willing to pony up a few dollars for this thing to become a reality. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whiteshoes said:

Promoters make their money through corporate sponsorship and ad buys.    Sometimes they get regional or national television networks to cover the games which brings in additional cash.   You would think that Lilly, the Colts, Indianapolis Convention and Tourism or someone similar would be willing to pony up a few dollars for this thing to become a reality. 

To bootstrap on what you are getting at @whiteshoes.....

I am pretty sure that Lucas Oil Stadium (potentially using that as a host site for multiple games) is a heck of an fringe benefit to IN for some of these 'institutions' to come here, rather than vice versa....  We also have the NCAA and NFHS National Headquarters in Indianapolis.  Not to mention the Hotel accommodations and Convention Center in downtown Indy.

Were the situation to be "vice versa".  I am pretty sure that broadcast stations, and their advertisers (sponsors) would be MORE THAN ABLE to afford sending any team anywhere in order to broadcast that contest.  

2 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

To bootstrap on what you are getting at @whiteshoes.....

I am pretty sure that Lucas Oil Stadium (potentially using that as a host site for multiple games) is a heck of an fringe benefit to IN for some of these 'institutions' to come here, rather than vice versa....  We also have the NCAA and NFHS National Headquarters in Indianapolis.  Not to mention the Hotel accommodations and Convention Center in downtown Indy.

Were the situation to be "vice versa".  I am pretty sure that broadcast stations, and their advertisers (sponsors) would be MORE THAN ABLE to afford sending any team anywhere in order to broadcast that contest.  

This was part of was getting at with the low-hanging fruit too.  There are already schools in neighboring states that come to Indiana to play our teams like the schools out of Ohio and Kentucky and, if you toss LOS into the mix, I bet you could entice many other schools too.  That basically makes the expenses relatively low for the Indiana participants. 

• Like 1