Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Dandy Dozen - Programs on the Brink / Major Changes Needed after Disastrous 2021 Season

North Central (1-9) (1-6 MIC) - Stuck in no mans land in The MIC   Departures of CG and CA will open up opps for a few more wins.  Program is NOT where most expected when Kevin O'Shea took over 5 years ago.  

What do they need? 

This program has no identity.  They need to develop one, and I would suggest they go with a high powered air attack.  Find and develop a big strong QB and get him some talented receivers and develop them thru rigorous off season and 7 on 7 competition.  

Avon (1-9) (1-6 HCC) - Everybody else in the HCC is getting better, while Avon is regressing.  Horrible defensive play hes deep sixed the Orioles in the past several years.  I dont remember Mark Bless teams being so bad defensively at Mooresville.  Avon needs to put athletes on defense and create more roster balance, and do it fast as the conference continues to get better and this program could be a lower second division player if it doesn't get things fixed quickly.

Noblesville  (2-8) (0-7 HCC)  Despite lots of hype and monstrous offensive line, Noblesville failed to record a single conference win this season and the Millers are 5-25 over their past 30 games.  That's not encouraging.  Coach Dave Sharpe is 100% committed to his power ground game and feels it can win in the pass heavy HCC.  Unless winless conference season could spell trouble for this staff in the future.  With a relatively young roster coming of age next season, Sharpe needs a quantum leap forward to keep the believers from becoming non believers.

Plymouth (0-10) (0-7 NLC)  That's just hard to fathom.  Plymouth at 0-10.  Sometimes things can go south, but never quite this far south.  The Rockies are short on numbers, size, talent, physicality and hope.  Athletics overall are changing at the school as girls sports and soccer have risen to the forefront, very similar to other affluent former football powers like Penn  and Lake Central.  Warsaw, Concord and Mishawaka are on a completely different level, and Northridge somehow snuck into the 4A state championship game.  Not sure if John Barron will stick this out much longer as there appears to be very little upside for the Rockies on the horizon.

There has to be all hands on deck approach to get these programs back to being respectful. Parents, administrators, athletes, coaches staff among other program influences..If one or two of them don’t cooperate then is kind of like a three legged dog. But obviously there is one or more influencers with in these specific programs that’s not doing it’s share to run a program. So identify and do. 

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

That’s only 4.

Brilliant! This early in the morning 

7 minutes ago, southend said:

There has to be all hands on deck approach to get these programs back to being respectful. Parents, administrators, athletes, coaches staff among other program influences..If one or two of them don’t cooperate then is kind of like a three legged dog. But obviously there is one or more influencers with in these specific programs that’s not doing it’s share to run a program. So identify and do. 

Brilliant! This early in the morning 

It’s just that I’m waiting with bated breath for the other 8! 😂😆

15 minutes ago, temptation said:

It’s the 12 days of Christmas…patience, lol.

Gotta wait until Saturday for those to start up.

Maybe this was just the Advent list ... straightening out the paths.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

That’s only 4.

They changed the editing function and I lost about 30 minutes of work so I chucked the balance.  

I got up to 8 and the other 4 were :

Franklin

Kankakee Valley

Whiting

Floyd Central

37 minutes ago, temptation said:

A live look at DT after pouring all of his energy into those first four…

EB966927-2DF9-4BB5-9A2F-0979821A8E62.webp

LOL  Poor Joe.  He sure takes a lot of crap.  

9 minutes ago, HHF said:

They changed the editing function and I lost about 30 minutes of work so I chucked the balance.  

I got up to 8 and the other 4 were :

Franklin

Kankakee Valley

Whiting

Floyd Central

LOL  Poor Joe.  He sure takes a lot of crap.  

I would imagine that Bofa made the list

• Haha 1

Whiting (5-7) (2-5 GSSC) Jeff Cain went 12-1 in his last season at Whiting in 2018.  Since then under Coach Brett Jennings, the Oilers have gone in the tank, going 8-18 over the past 3 seasons.  What gives?  Enrollment is increasing as nearby schools Hammond Clark and Hammond Gavit closed due to consolidation.  2003 was the last year Whiting had a losing record.  Has the school deemphasized football?  Are Jennings and his staff not getting the job done?  Whiting carries the small school flag foir prep football in Northwest Indiana.  Something is amiss

56 minutes ago, HHF said:

Whiting (5-7) (2-5 GSSC) Jeff Cain went 12-1 in his last season at Whiting in 2018.  Since then under Coach Brett Jennings, the Oilers have gone in the tank, going 8-18 over the past 3 seasons.  What gives?  Enrollment is increasing as nearby schools Hammond Clark and Hammond Gavit closed due to consolidation.  2003 was the last year Whiting had a losing record.  Has the school deemphasized football?  Are Jennings and his staff not getting the job done?  Whiting carries the small school flag foir prep football in Northwest Indiana.  Something is amiss

Basketball also struggling mightily see results below not sure what is going on other then lack of athletes

67CCE399-B90F-45F5-B99B-0F6018597FD8.jpeg

21 hours ago, HHF said:

North Central (1-9) (1-6 MIC) - Stuck in no mans land in The MIC   Departures of CG and CA will open up opps for a few more wins.  Program is NOT where most expected when Kevin O'Shea took over 5 years ago.  

What do they need? 

This program has no identity.  They need to develop one, and I would suggest they go with a high powered air attack.  Find and develop a big strong QB and get him some talented receivers and develop them thru rigorous off season and 7 on 7 competition.  

Avon (1-9) (1-6 HCC) - Everybody else in the HCC is getting better, while Avon is regressing.  Horrible defensive play hes deep sixed the Orioles in the past several years.  I dont remember Mark Bless teams being so bad defensively at Mooresville.  Avon needs to put athletes on defense and create more roster balance, and do it fast as the conference continues to get better and this program could be a lower second division player if it doesn't get things fixed quickly.

Noblesville  (2-8) (0-7 HCC)  Despite lots of hype and monstrous offensive line, Noblesville failed to record a single conference win this season and the Millers are 5-25 over their past 30 games.  That's not encouraging.  Coach Dave Sharpe is 100% committed to his power ground game and feels it can win in the pass heavy HCC.  Unless winless conference season could spell trouble for this staff in the future.  With a relatively young roster coming of age next season, Sharpe needs a quantum leap forward to keep the believers from becoming non believers.

Plymouth (0-10) (0-7 NLC)  That's just hard to fathom.  Plymouth at 0-10.  Sometimes things can go south, but never quite this far south.  The Rockies are short on numbers, size, talent, physicality and hope.  Athletics overall are changing at the school as girls sports and soccer have risen to the forefront, very similar to other affluent former football powers like Penn  and Lake Central.  Warsaw, Concord and Mishawaka are on a completely different level, and Northridge somehow snuck into the 4A state championship game.  Not sure if John Barron will stick this out much longer as there appears to be very little upside for the Rockies on the horizon.

It is really sad what has happened at North Central honestly.  When O'Shea came into the program he spoke of using Eric Moore's model and building the program from the ground up.  That never happened.  They no longer even have a youth football league, yes, the world famous WTFL is no longer in existence.  No longer a Jr Panthers team, who had won an IEFA State Championship in 2014.  I personally believe that O'Shea rode the back of those two classes and just thought that majesty would happen.  No youth program, no future!  No wonder why CG and Carmel bailed on the MIC Conference.

With the retirement of jerry Baumgartner from the JR Panther Program and the still horrific loss of Paul Loggan, I am not sure that North Central will have football within the next five seasons.

1 hour ago, IndplsCathedral_Dad said:

It is really sad what has happened at North Central honestly.  When O'Shea came into the program he spoke of using Eric Moore's model and building the program from the ground up.  That never happened.  They no longer even have a youth football league, yes, the world famous WTFL is no longer in existence.  No longer a Jr Panthers team, who had won an IEFA State Championship in 2014.  I personally believe that O'Shea rode the back of those two classes and just thought that majesty would happen.  No youth program, no future!  No wonder why CG and Carmel bailed on the MIC Conference.

With the retirement of jerry Baumgartner from the JR Panther Program and the still horrific loss of Paul Loggan, I am not sure that North Central will have football within the next five seasons.

Are you suggesting that a mega school with 3700 students like NC would consider dropping its football program?

On 12/19/2021 at 9:40 PM, HHF said:

I really don't understand Share's play calling. That monstrous 7 man offensive line could run the ball on anyone Noblesville faced this year. Looking at the bigger regular season games: 

Mt. Vernon: 51 carries for 606 yards

Fishers: 47 carries for 267 yards

Westfield: 52 carries for 273 yards

Zionsville: 60 carries for 435 yards

HSE: 39 carries for 177 yards

Brownsburg: 41 carries for 245 yards

Avon: 56 carries for 296 yards

Outside of HSE, they were averaging at least 5 yards/carry. Their biggenst problem offensively was the number of drives that stalled out because they refuse to abandon the run and catch the defensive napping with some play action passes or passes in general. Sharpe has to have a QB somewhere on the roster capable of completing a forward pass. 

On the plus side, interest in the program is present in Noblesville. The Millers have 2 brand new 100 yard turf practice fields sitting next to a brand new stadium that will be ready for the 2022 season. The stadium seems identical to Center Grove's new stadium. I went to a day of youth football jamboree games earlier in the year and saw hundreds of kids in the Noblesvill youth league and Sharpe's offense being ran. 

Sharpe has size, talent, and his offense being ran at the youth levels. I would like to see him figure out how to mix in the passing game to keep defenses from stacking the box against the run. Otherwise, it could be another season at the bottom of the HCC.

13 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I really don't understand Share's play calling. That monstrous 7 man offensive line could run the ball on anyone Noblesville faced this year. Looking at the bigger regular season games: 

Mt. Vernon: 51 carries for 606 yards

Fishers: 47 carries for 267 yards

Westfield: 52 carries for 273 yards

Zionsville: 60 carries for 435 yards

HSE: 39 carries for 177 yards

Brownsburg: 41 carries for 245 yards

Avon: 56 carries for 296 yards

Outside of HSE, they were averaging at least 5 yards/carry. Their biggenst problem offensively was the number of drives that stalled out because they refuse to abandon the run and catch the defensive napping with some play action passes or passes in general. Sharpe has to have a QB somewhere on the roster capable of completing a forward pass. 

On the plus side, interest in the program is present in Noblesville. The Millers have 2 brand new 100 yard turf practice fields sitting next to a brand new stadium that will be ready for the 2022 season. The stadium seems identical to Center Grove's new stadium. I went to a day of youth football jamboree games earlier in the year and saw hundreds of kids in the Noblesvill youth league and Sharpe's offense being ran. 

Sharpe has size, talent, and his offense being ran at the youth levels. I would like to see him figure out how to mix in the passing game to keep defenses from stacking the box against the run. Otherwise, it could be another season at the bottom of the HCC.

It seems counter intuitive that with that huge offensive line, those last 10 yards should be the easiest when you can just pulverize your way into the endzone.  At this point, Sharpe's offense puts up big rushing numbers and is fun to watch but it is not a winning offensive strategy in The HCC.  That has to change and I would think that 3 or 4 conference wins in 2022 is the minimum for a team that will have lots of experienced players and has been running this system now for several years.

Edited by HHF

45 minutes ago, HHF said:

It seems counter intuitive that with that huge offensive line, those last 10 yards should be the easiest when you can just pulverize your way into the endzone.  At this point, Sharpe's offense puts up big rushing numbers and is fun to watch but it is not a winning offensive strategy in The HCC.  That has to change and I would think that 3 or 4 conference wins in 2022 is the minimum for a team that will have lots of experienced players and has been running this system now for several years.

The last 10 are the hardest 10.  Bend not break. # @BendNotBreak

16 minutes ago, foxbat said:

The last 10 are the hardest 10.  Bend not break. # @BendNotBreak

In the NFL where you have roster and physical size parity, yes.

In high school where NHS outweighs its opponents by 50lbs per man and averages 285 across the OL, not so much.