Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

1A Oldenburg Academy Contracting

8 minutes ago, superjay said:

Is there a list of these 13 schools anywhere?

I'm with you on this.  I'm wondering if any of them were teams that had and dropped football in the past or if they are all brand new.  Also interested in seeing the make-up to see if there's anything in common, besides size, in these teams such as predominantly rural or predominantly P/P or predominantly lower SES.  The reason that I'm interested is that, in Oklahoma, there are quite a few 8-man teams that have come from the ranks of teams that had been successful programs in 11-man ball in the state, but due to shifts in population densities or other schools opening had gotten smaller. 

Does anyone know if there's a requirement/limit in Indiana 8-man ball on school size to participate or, if not, a restriction on program and/or player that you can participate in 11-man or 8-man, but not both?  I'm assuming that Indiana's current quarter limit, for the most part, would keep a player from playing full-time 8-man and and 11-man in the same week, but potentially could play the same way as a kid playing JV vs. varsity in a week ... i.e., a kid could play 2 quarters JV and 2 quarters of 8-man.

56 minutes ago, DE said:

Here is a quick breakdown of 8 man football.  Seems pretty neat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-man_football

I played one year in an adult 8 man league post-college.

We started the year solely 2 TE, I formation but started experimenting with this new-fangled Shotgun formation. Lol

I can imagine in today’s RPO world, all that space could cause some high scoring games. 

50 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

We started the year solely 2 TE, I formation but started experimenting with this new-fangled Shotgun formation. Lol

I can imagine in today’s RPO world, all that space could cause some high scoring games. 

If you go here:  http://www.ossaa.com/Football.aspx  and click on the Class B and Class C links you can see what the Oklahoma 8-man playoffs looked like on scoring.  In some cases there are definite shootouts, but in others they look like regular games ... you can click on the other class links to see the results of their 11-man playoffs. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Hope they go with at least 5 men crews...

Edited by DE

On 12/23/2021 at 11:47 AM, oldtimeqb said:

I used to officiate an 8-man adult league in southern Indiana. It was nuts, but they paid well and paid cash. The league told us up front they would not allow any BS and they didn’t, we had complete authority. I did it for about three years. Last game I did was a championship game and it got out of hand near the end. Last play left the center unconscious after a cheap shot and I ended the game with about 1:30 left on the clock. I took the ball, got in my truck and left. Not sure if they played after that or not. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I used to officiate an 8-man adult league in southern Indiana. It was nuts, but they paid well and paid cash. The league told us up front they would not allow any BS and they didn’t, we had complete authority. I did it for about three years. Last game I did was a championship game and it got out of hand near the end. Last play left the center unconscious after a cheap shot and I ended the game with about 1:30 left on the clock. I took the ball, got in my truck and left. Not sure if they played after that or not. 

They only had 1 ball? 😂🤣😅   

• Haha 1

Was that something tied to the league or to the type of play in 8-man adult ball? 

I recall when I was first introduced to lacrosse, there seemed to be a LOT of incidental activity between, during, and after the action.  You kind of had to take it with a grain of salt or it would get out of hand kind of quickly.  After a while you get used to the extracurricular activity although getting checked in the concession stand line getting a hot dog and in the parking lot seemed to be a bit much. 🙂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bobref said:

They only had 1 ball? 😂🤣😅   

The game was ended. I think the ball is probably still in my garage somewhere. 

10 hours ago, foxbat said:

Was that something tied to the league or to the type of play in 8-man adult ball? 

I recall when I was first introduced to lacrosse, there seemed to be a LOT of incidental activity between, during, and after the action.  You kind of had to take it with a grain of salt or it would get out of hand kind of quickly.  After a while you get used to the extracurricular activity although getting checked in the concession stand line getting a hot dog and in the parking lot seemed to be a bit much. 🙂

The actually had a fine structure if people got out of hand. I actually think the league ended after that game. A lot of these guys were former college players. And obviously a bunch of wannabes who thought they could ball. The play in question a team from Fairdale, KY was playing a team from Salem at Salem HS. Fairdale had the ball and were attempting to run out the clock. Safety from Salem come flying up, isn’t close to timing the snap, drops his head and goes straight into the snapper, who had no clue what was coming. Dude literally fell over backwards out cold. It scared the shit out of me, I thought he was dead. I declared the game over, took the game ball and headed to my truck. 

• Like 1

The actually had a fine structure if people got out of hand. I actually think the league ended after that game. A lot of these guys were former college players. And obviously a bunch of wannabes who thought they could ball. The play in question a team from Fairdale, KY was playing a team from Salem at Salem HS. Fairdale had the ball and were attempting to run out the clock. Safety from Salem come flying up, isn’t close to timing the snap, drops his head and goes straight into the snapper, who had no clue what was coming. Dude literally fell over backwards out cold. It scared the shit out of me, I thought he was dead. I declared the game over, took the game ball and headed to my truck. 

BYOB I guess. 😂 

Holy cr*p! 

Don't know if you saw that Marshall-Louisiana game about a week ago.  It was a vicious hit, but at least you could see the guy move as he hits the ground.  I got to imagine, in your case though, that's got to be the scariest feeling when you see that body go limp like that hit that you saw.

16 minutes ago, foxbat said:

that's got to be the scariest feeling when you see that body go limp like that hit that you saw.

For me, the scariest ones were shots when the player on the receiving end went into “Fencer’s Pose,” which you knew meant they were really unconscious. Very creepy.

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

My guess is that is the same league, or made up of many of the same characters (literally and figuratively.)  Especially the ex-college and wannabe remark. 😀

We played a team from Fairdale as well as a ‘Kentuckiana’ team at a middle school in New Albany. 

Our last game was played on an open field somewhere in southwest Louisville. No goal posts, which didn’t matter because you went for 1 or 2 like in a flag league.  An opposing player didn’t like the whooping we were putting on him and got ejected mid 4th quarter.  He proceeded to get in his truck and drive across the field scattering players.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

My guess is that is the same league, or made up of many of the same characters (literally and figuratively.)  Especially the ex-college and wannabe remark. 😀

We played a team from Fairdale as well as a ‘Kentuckiana’ team at a middle school in New Albany. 

Our last game was played on an open field somewhere in southwest Louisville. No goal posts, which didn’t matter because you went for 1 or 2 like in a flag league.  An opposing player didn’t like the whooping we were putting on him and got ejected mid 4th quarter.  He proceeded to get in his truck and drive across the field scattering players.

Brings a whole new meaning to making sure that you have your league insurance coverage renewed for the season.

• Haha 1