Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Time for Bears to Fire Nagy/Pace, Hire Ryan Day

17 hours ago, HHF said:

I'm having some second thoughts on Ryan Day.  I saw an interview with Rex Ryan yesterday and he just completely ripped Urban Meyer for basically being a college coach thinking he could just easily transition to the NFL.  Ryan made some great points about how the two levels are so completely different.  And he made 100% complete sense.  As much as I like Day, Im now thinking an experienced NFL HC with a winning pedigree is probably the better choice for this franchise.  And as far as the weather is concerned, the Packers seem to do pretty well playing in the cold.  

Yep, very few have pulled it off.  Day, Meyer, Spurrier and Saban (just to name a few) lined up on Saturdays with large talent advantages 10-12 times every fall.

I know this makes me sound like a hater and as if I’m discrediting them but the track record on the NCAA to NFL move isn’t pretty.

Day has some endearing qualities.  He’s an elite play caller but I don’t think he’s proven enough at the college level yet to warrant NFL attention.

3 minutes ago, temptation said:

Yep, very few have pulled it off.  Day, Meyer, Spurrier and Saban (just to name a few) lined up on Saturdays with large talent advantages 10-12 times every fall.

I know this makes me sound like a hater and as if I’m discrediting them but the track record on the NCAA to NFL move isn’t pretty.

Day has some endearing qualities.  He’s an elite play caller but I don’t think he’s proven enough at the college level yet to warrant NFL attention.

One difference between Day and the others is the fact that he is much younger, and not deified and so set in his ways like the others you mentioned.  Day has always struck me as an "NFL type" coach in approach and demeanor.  I think his transition to the league would be much smoother.  I am most intrigued however by the potential for incredible offensive upside for the Bears should they get him, and perhaps a few of his OSU receivers and linemen.

Do we all agree the next HC has to be an "offensive guy", since Pace moved up to get Fields?

Or, and I know it is very early in his career, is the jury still out on Fields, and they could move him.....which could allow them to bring in a "defensive guy" like Leslie Frasier, who also happens to be a former Bear?

32 minutes ago, HHF said:

One difference between Day and the others is the fact that he is much younger, and not deified and so set in his ways like the others you mentioned.  Day has always struck me as an "NFL type" coach in approach and demeanor.  I think his transition to the league would be much smoother.  I am most intrigued however by the potential for incredible offensive upside for the Bears should they get him, and perhaps a few of his OSU receivers and linemen.

Could we also say the jury is still out on Day though?  I mean two years and mainly with Meyer’s players is a small sample size, though Stroud and Henderson are his guys.

Its easy to take over a full cupboard and live in a recruiting hotbed…taking over the Bears (or any other struggling franchise for that matter) is a much larger undertaking.

Edited by temptation

33 minutes ago, DE said:

The day after the last regular season NFL game, should be quite interesting this year.

That is when most coaches get "let go"/fired.

That’s another good point that speaks to the college game.

Though I don’t have specific data to back this up, it seems that NFL leashes are much shorter on coaches.

Hell, Nagy was just the NFL coach of the year THREE seasons ago.

31 minutes ago, Esso Ayche said:

Rex would be the one getting the ink, but this time it would be of Fields' feet...

Wait, are you telling me REX was the one who got the ink of Mark Sanchez?  😂

This makes it even better.

3 hours ago, DE said:

Run the ball down their da** throats.....ehem, insert Mark Sanchez's head into Brandon Moore's butt.

and Ryan says to Sanchez...."WRONG f'ing hole jackass" 🤣

I did not really follow Hard Knocks that year, but it was obvious his hardass act was having no impact in that room. Great message, but I am guessin they had heard plenty of those before. 

• Like 1

I know it’s a small sample size, but Nick Foles played pretty well yesterday in his only appearance of the year. But if Foles can still play, why did the Bears need Andy Dalton in the first place? Is this just another case of lousy talent evaluation by the Bears? Foles’ contract was restructured when he came to the Bears, and they still owe him a bunch of guaranteed money. If Fields is ready next week, do they play him or showcase Foles, trying to find someone who will take on what was previously thought to be an untradeable contract? This is just another example of the Bears’ organization making it up as they go along, rather than actually having a coherent plan. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...