Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Final USAToday sportspoll

1 hour ago, BTF said:

I believe Carmel was Top 5 in 1986. And they weren't even the best team in the state. Take it with a grain of salt. 

Ben Davis 1991? I thought they finished 1st that year. 

Thank you for the info I kind remember the 91 team and why to young for the other one 

Again, I hate to play devil's advocate, but having seen all of the ten teams listed play, I just don't see it.    Let's start with Corona (CA) Centennial, ranked 10th.   An 11-1 team, whose only loss was to top rated Mater Dei in a game that they led in the second half.    The week prior to that I watched them destroy a very good Mission Viejo team 62-16.    In addition to that game, they defeated #67 San Diego Cathedral Catholic (57-14), Long Beach Poly (52-7) and Norco (48-24).    Those are quality high school football teams.  Let's move on to #9, Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas, who was probably playing better at the end of season than any team in the country, winning Florida's Class 7A in cakewalk 42-14 over an undefeated Tampa Bay Tech team.    Their only loss was to #15 ranked Tampa Jesuit on a last second field goal.   They were the only team to defeat #3 Baltimore St. Francis Academy.  They did not break a sweat in winning the state title as the Tech game was their closet game.   I have them ranked 13th in the country. Oh, and talking about Tampa Bay Jesuit, they are rated #8, one spot above Center Grove.    They did beat Aquinas, along with a win over Miami Northwester, but I was not impressed by their title win over Pensacola PIne Forest (35-29) and have actually dropped them to #15.  As I look at this poll, I do not see Bradenton (FL) IMG Academy, whose only loss was to St. Francis Academy nor do I see Las Vegas Bishop Gorman, who only loss was to highly rated Chandler (AZ) Hamilton in a game that they led 24-10 with less than a minute to play.   All polls make for great debate, mine gets ripped on PrepGridiron each week but I enjoy compiling them and am very open to criticism and input which you must be to put these things out.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, whiteshoes said:

Again, I hate to play devil's advocate, but having seen all of the ten teams listed play, I just don't see it.    Let's start with Corona (CA) Centennial, ranked 10th.   An 11-1 team, whose only loss was to top rated Mater Dei in a game that they led in the second half.    The week prior to that I watched them destroy a very good Mission Viejo team 62-16.    In addition to that game, they defeated #67 San Diego Cathedral Catholic (57-14), Long Beach Poly (52-7) and Norco (48-24).    Those are quality high school football teams.  Let's move on to #9, Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas, who was probably playing better at the end of season than any team in the country, winning Florida's Class 7A in cakewalk 42-14 over an undefeated Tampa Bay Tech team.    Their only loss was to #15 ranked Tampa Jesuit on a last second field goal.   They were the only team to defeat #3 Baltimore St. Francis Academy.  They did not break a sweat in winning the state title as the Tech game was their closet game.   I have them ranked 13th in the country. Oh, and talking about Tampa Bay Jesuit, they are rated #8, one spot above Center Grove.    They did beat Aquinas, along with a win over Miami Northwester, but I was not impressed by their title win over Pensacola PIne Forest (35-29) and have actually dropped them to #15.  As I look at this poll, I do not see Bradenton (FL) IMG Academy, whose only loss was to St. Francis Academy nor do I see Las Vegas Bishop Gorman, who only loss was to highly rated Chandler (AZ) Hamilton in a game that they led 24-10 with less than a minute to play.   All polls make for great debate, mine gets ripped on PrepGridiron each week but I enjoy compiling them and am very open to criticism and input which you must be to put these things out.

I generally agree with this. I obviously don't watch/follow football nationally in they way you do, just find it hard to believe that a team like Center Grove is better than a team like St. Thomas Aquinas who has 15-20 kids with legitimate D1 offers. The competition these teams play in metro hotbeds like Dade/Broward Co, Houston, Dallas, LA, ATL, is just ridiculous, not to mention the private/prep schools who play national schedules. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, whiteshoes said:

This is exactly where I am.

Do the folks at MaxPreps and USA Today not watch high schools nationwide?  Guessing those folks have a solid qualifications and invest way more time than anyone on GID to evaluate teams and talent across the country as they issue rankings throughout the season and their final rankings.  I don't believe they have a motive to rank a central Indiana team in the top 10 do they?

HSFA America was a little tougher on the Trojans ranking them #11th in their final poll.  

https://playfootball.nfl.com/discover/high-school-football-america-100/

Regardless....5th, 7th, 11th....pretty dang good.  And pretty darn consistent among the 3 groups.  

Is it so tough to say great job fellas running the table 2 years in a row and earning national recognition both years?

2 hours ago, whiteshoes said:

LOL @ the lengths some will go to in order to discredit an Indiana team’s success. 

24 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Is it so tough to say great job fellas running the table 2 years in a row and earning national recognition both years?

Apparently for some. 

39 minutes ago, Grover said:

LOL @ the lengths some will go to in order to discredit an Indiana team’s success. 

Apparently for some. 

Absolutely nobody discrediting Center Grove's success. Why go there?

Just have a hard time believing there are only 4 high school teams in America better than Center Grove. Center Grove doesn't play near the schedule that some of these teams ranked just behind them do nor do they have near the overall talent. Teams like St. Thomas Aquinas and Bishop Gorman have 15-20 legitimate D1 prospects and play nationally ranked teams week in and week out. Guessing if Center Grove played that kind of schedule, they'd be an afterthought for a top 5 ranking.

Just an opinion. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Just have a hard time believing there are only 4 high school teams in America better than Center Grove. Center Grove doesn't play near the schedule that some of these teams ranked just behind them do nor do they have near the overall talent. Teams like St. Thomas Aquinas and Bishop Gorman have 15-20 legitimate D1 prospects and play nationally ranked teams week in and week out. Guessing if Center Grove played that kind of schedule, they'd be an afterthought for a top 5 ranking.

Just an opinion. 

Also, I thought these hypothetical rankings were meant to promote the sport and generate discussion?

Some people need thicker skin.

20 minutes ago, temptation said:

Also, I thought these hypothetical rankings were meant to promote the sport and generate discussion?

Some people need thicker skin.

Which is hypocrisy because these same two posters are trying to discredit a certain POY award winner in a thread just below this. 

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 1
  • Disdain 1

39 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Just an opinion. 

Why go there?  Good question but you’re asking the wrong person. 

23 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Which is hypocrisy because these same two posters are trying to discredit a certain POY award winner in a thread just below this. 

Where did I do that?  By stating that Curry should win?   I don’t think I’ve posted anything about it since the award was given. Try harder. 

20 minutes ago, Grover said:

Why go there?  Good question but you’re asking the wrong person. 

Where did I do that?  By stating that Curry should win?   I don’t think I’ve posted anything about it since the award was given. Try harder. 

I read for two weeks that Allen shouldn't win the award because he "only" plays QB and only plays 3A competition. 

I don't think Center Grove is the 5th best high school team in America. I think they would get mercy-ruled by IMG and their 24 D1 commits despite being lower ranked than Center Grove. That's my opinion, everyone had one. 

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

I read for two weeks that Allen shouldn't win the award because he "only" plays QB and only plays 3A competition.

You didn’t read that from me yet you still called me a hypocrite. Quote me saying that or retract your accusation. 

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I don't think Center Grove is the 5th best high school team in America. I think they would get mercy-ruled by IMG and their 24 D1 commits despite being lower ranked than Center Grove. That's my opinion, everyone had one. 

Attempt to discredit noted. 

21 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

In this day and age of prep school and academy football hard to believe there’s only 4 better teams than Center Grove, but nonetheless still a very cool recognition for both the Center Grove program and the state of Indiana itself.

19 minutes ago, Grover said:

You didn’t read that from me yet you still called me a hypocrite. Quote me saying that or retract your accusation. 

Attempt to discredit noted. 

Attempt to discredit?