Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Top Indiana High School Coaches on The Radar

4 hours ago, coachkj said:

It's great.  Higher than many administrators.  Wasn't saying otherwise, just saying its not $115-120K.

May not look as good when breaking it down to an hourly rate.

During the season, I know most programs are 7 days/week......

4 hours ago, temptation said:

Not even close to the highest paid in the MIC either.

I would expect Hebert to be up there with Carmel....what is the highest paid for a MIC coach and source?

Thanks....

9 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

May not look as good when breaking it down to an hourly rate.

During the season, I know most programs are 7 days/week......

I would expect Hebert to be up there with Carmel....what is the highest paid for a MIC coach and source?

Thanks....

https://gateway.ifionline.org/report_builder/Default2.aspx?rptType=employComp&rptVer=a

24 minutes ago, temptation said:

Looks like John Hart likely the highest paid coach in Indiana.

115K base pay in 2020

Assume 5% increase for 2021 to $121K

Assumed football stipend at $20K

Total pay in 140K range   Now we know it could take 15ighest paid 0K to lure a Coach to Indy to take over based on current highest paid coach in the area

On 12/29/2021 at 7:16 AM, Muda69 said:

I wish young Mr. Colby would have stayed coaching at my high school alma mater.  Yet Maconaquah will ever be known as a 'basketball school' and football will never receive the community support that basketball enjoys.  Probably the same for Kokomo.

This is so weird because hasn't Mac a few NFL players come out of that school correct? I don't recall many NBA players. Yes they are usually more successful in basketball but I wouldn't call them a "basketball" school. 

3 minutes ago, HHF said:

Looks like John Hart likely the highest paid coach in Indiana.

115K base pay in 2020

Assume 5% increase for 2021 to $121K

Assumed football stipend at $20K

Total pay in 140K range   Now we know it could take 15ighest paid 0K to lure a Coach to Indy to take over based on current highest paid coach in the area

I'm pretty sure the 115k includes coaching stipends though I could be wrong I guess.

3 minutes ago, Obi-Wan said:

This is so weird because hasn't Mac a few NFL players come out of that school correct? I don't recall many NBA players. Yes they are usually more successful in basketball but I wouldn't call them a "basketball" school. 

Yes, Steve Shine and Mike Otto had marginal to ok NFL careers. Those are the only two Maconaquah alumni that I am aware of.  And both were pretty good basketball players as well.   

The Maconaquah fan and alumni base will show much support for a successful basketball program than it will for a football program.

Just now, Muda69 said:

Yes, Steve Shine and Mike Otto had marginal to ok NFL careers. Those are the only two Maconaquah alumni that I am aware of.  And both were pretty good basketball players as well.   

The Maconaquah fan and alumni base will show much support for a successful basketball program than it will for a football program.

Good Point! I concede the argument. I tend to forget how much basketball is loved there (no sarcasm).  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, temptation said:

I'm pretty sure the 115k includes coaching stipends though I could be wrong I guess.

In this database, this compensation shows my base salary as well as outside items such as overload teaching or summer activity beyond my contract, etc. so it appears to show total compensation.  Item 3 on page 2 of the following link seems to indicate that the stipends are likely included in the amount posted: https://gateway.ifionline.org/guides/about/LearnMore100R.pdf.

With this said, this is likely only to reflect monies from state resources.  For example, let's say a coach teaches in the classroom and they also pay them an extra 20% of that teaching salary to be the baseball coach too.  That amount is what we see in the database.  Let's assume that he's recognized as the Powerade Power Coach of the Season and receives a $5,000 award from Powerade.  That will not likely be reflected in this database ... unless the award goes through the school district to be presented to the coach.

10 minutes ago, foxbat said:

In this database, this compensation shows my base salary as well as outside items such as overload teaching or summer activity beyond my contract, etc. so it appears to show total compensation.  Item 3 on page 2 of the following link seems to indicate that the stipends are likely included in the amount posted: https://gateway.ifionline.org/guides/about/LearnMore100R.pdf.

With this said, this is likely only to reflect monies from state resources.  For example, let's say a coach teaches in the classroom and they also pay them an extra 20% of that teaching salary to be the baseball coach too.  That amount is what we see in the database.  Let's assume that he's recognized as the Powerade Power Coach of the Season and receives a $5,000 award from Powerade.  That will not likely be reflected in this database ... unless the award goes through the school district to be presented to the coach.

Craig Buzea of Crown Point is likely to be very close to, or possibly higher than that Hart number.  Buzea was close to 140K at Homewood Flossmoor in 2019.  Probaby took a pay cut to come across the border.  https://salary.bettergov.org/person/craig-buzea-34af7be7/

Edited by HHF

On 12/29/2021 at 4:48 PM, HHF said:

John Hebert makes 94K in teacher pay at Carmel, not including his coaching stipend.  Add in his coaching pay and he is likely in the 115-120 range.  

Its certainly not out of the range of possibility that a school wanting to hire a hot young coach with the intentions of turning around its program might bump that figure by 20 to 30% if thats what it takes to get their man.  

Thats how you get to $150K

Inflation is driving compensation increases everywhere, especially for top performers.  There are a handful of young coaches who could come to Indy seeking that amount.  Several are on my list.

The only way a public school whose salaries are public record could do what you're saying is layering on job titles that have responsibilities.

Base Pay

Coaching Stipend

Maybe Assistant AD or Department Chair Stipend

Extra Work Days

All must be in the contract available to the public for inspection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BDGiant93 said:

The only way a public school whose salaries are public record could do what you're saying is layering on job titles that have responsibilities.

Base Pay

Coaching Stipend

Maybe Assistant AD or Department Chair Stipend

Extra Work Days

All must be in the contract available to the public for inspection.

So performance incentives could never be part of a Coaching Stipend?

33 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

So performance incentives could never be part of a Coaching Stipend?

That is a good question.

IMSC, at a school I worked, the HC's stipend would increase "X" amount for each level of the tournament they won.

Example purposes only----base stipend was 10k

add in $1,500 for a sectional championship, $2,000 ($500 added onto the already earned $1,500 for the sectional championship and so on for each additional level won) for a regional championship, $3,000 for a SS championship, and $5,000 for a state title.

This was many, many years ago, so I am not sure how that school pays now.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DE said:

That is a good question.

IMSC, at a school I worked, the HC's stipend would increase "X" amount for each level of the tournament they won.

Example purposes only----base stipend was 10k

add in $1,500 for a sectional championship, $2,000 ($500 added onto the already earned $1,500 for the sectional championship and so on for each additional level won) for a regional championship, $3,000 for a SS championship, and $5,000 for a state title.

This was many, many years ago, so I am not sure how that school pays now.

I think a couple of things to remember with that database is that 1) it's historical in nature and thus based on what was ALREADY PAID to the person in the period and 2) the number you see, even historically, could vary from year to year, up and down, based on something like you've mentioned. 

I know that, from year to year, my number in that database jumps up and down depending on whether I'm teaching during the summer, whether I'm teaching overload during an academic year, whether I've received internal grant money, etc.  My contract is just a 9-month contract, so summers are extra activity for me.  The other issue with that database is that it doesn't necessarily provide the DETAILS of the monies.  By that, I mean you might look at that amount and see a situation where someone it looks like someone's salary went down from the year before, but in actuality what happened is the person only worked 50% load or perhaps had a semester of short-term/long-term disability which they would still be paid under contract, but at a reduced rate.  In that case, their base salary, for administrative reasons, would still be the same; however, the total compensation number would actually show up as less than their traditional base salary for that year.

With that said, it would seem consistent, that if that proposed stipend fluctuation that you mentioned was paid out by school funds, it would show up in that total compensation number.  Where it wouldn't, and where it could potentially cause some issue, is if it's received from non-school/district funds ... e.g., if there is a community "booster" group that makes that amount that you mentioned available as opposed to being part of the school's contract with the instructor/coach.  I'm not sure if that even doable/legal for Indiana or not and I'm just conjecturing and not suggesting that someone is doing this.  That, however, would be a situation where incoming monies WOULD NOT potentially show up in that total compensation number in that database.