Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Highschool Football Interview with Coach Rick Wimmer

Coach Wimmer’s 1987 Zionsville team’s 3A state championship victory over Elwood was my first state final. I subsequently worked games involving his teams at Merrillville, Greenwood, and Fishers. He’s among the 2 or 3 best in-game coaches I saw in 40 seasons. Always classy.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Coach Wimmer’s 1987 Zionsville team’s 3A state championship victory over Elwood was my first state final. I subsequently worked games involving his teams at Merrillville, Greenwood, and Fishers. He’s among the 2 or 3 best in-game coaches I saw in 40 seasons. Always classy.

Interested who you thought were some of the other best in game coaches. 

7 hours ago, DE said:

Interested who you thought were some of the other best in game coaches. 

I don’t want to slight anyone, as my memory isn’t as good as it used to be. So, I’m undoubtedly leaving some very fine coaches out. But the others that come immediately to mind are Mark Hoffman at Valpo and Craig Buzea when he was at Portage.

• Thanks 1

As a Region guy myself, I am most interested in Coach Wimmer's years at Merrillville.  Here are some additional comments from RM relative to his years in Northwest Indiana

"I enjoyed my time at Merrillville and believe my time in the Region made me a better coach by competing against guys like Don Howell, Brad Smith, Mark Hoffman, Elmer Britton, Craig Buzea, Dave Egofske to name a few.  At the time I moved from Zionsville to Merrillville in the 80s, Zionsville was a 3A school and the Region and the Duneland was considered one of the top football areas and conferences in Indiana so I considered it a great opportunity."

On 1/4/2022 at 9:13 AM, BearsGold55 said:

I would disagree with the classy statement. Coached against him in the mid-state conference when he was at Greenwood.  I was not a fan.  He was a great coach, but stretch for me to say he was classy. 

Fiery might be a better term