Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

In Memoriam

Irishman

18 hours ago, Bobref said:

Wow! He was a freshman at ND when I was a senior in the 1973 national championship season. One of Our Lady’s all-time greatest players.

Ross Browner was one of the most decorated defensive players in the history of college football. At the University of Notre Dame he was a four-year starter at defensive end in 1973 and 1975–77. He was a unanimous All-America his junior and senior seasons of 1976 and 1977. In 1976, he won the Outland trophy as the nation's best interior or defensive lineman also in 1976 United Press Internationalnamed him Lineman of the Year. He won the Lombardi Trophy as the nation's best lineman and the Maxwell Award as the nation's best player and again won the UPI Lineman of the Year Award, the only player ever to win it twice. In the decade of the 1970s, Browner was the only lineman who won the Maxwell. In 1977, he also placed fifth in voting for the Heisman Trophy. During his senior year in college, he was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated with the subheading of "Notre Dame's Peerless Ross Browner."

I didn't realize until I read about his passing, that he had a son, Max Starks, that was a 10 year NFL offensive lineman, that won 2 Super Bowls with the Steelers.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/05/former-bengals-star-ross-browner-dies-from-complications-of-covid-at-67/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Irishman said:

No one will ever have these stats when it comes to winning.....ever.  In addition to his 2 NCAA championships playing for the University of San Francisco, he was on the winning 1956 Olympic basketball gold medal team in Melbourne....his team won all 8 games by an average of 56 ppg margin.  

I didn't realize he was not at his HOF induction in 1975....and only accepted his HOF ring in 2019 some 40+ years later.  He objected to being the first black man to be inducted into the HOF as he felt others deserved this honor before him.

Such an infectious smile....was glad to see he and Chamberlin (great rivals and friends) corrected their riff and became great friends again years later.  What a legend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Russell

image.png.3f7dcb36344b3e07f2c24aa5db5133b5.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
13 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I remember the "immaculate reception" like it was yesterday!

RIP!

Isn't friday the 50th year anniversary of the immaculate reception?

Franco looked great...he had done an interview earlier in the day.  What a classy man.

Tough when your stars from your youth start passing.....

13 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Isn't friday the 50th year anniversary of the immaculate reception?

Franco looked great...he had done an interview earlier in the day.  What a classy man.

Tough when your stars from your youth start passing.....

I understand the actual 50 year anniversary is tomorrow.  I was just paying tribute to the play at Franco's passing.

I had been married a year when that play occurred.  😍

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 5:58 PM, PHJIrish said:

I remember the "immaculate reception" like it was yesterday!

RIP!

Here’s some info about the Immaculate Reception that most people don’t know. Can you imagine the controversy that would occur on social media, TV, podcasts, etc., if something like this happened today?

https://www.referee.com/immaculate-reception/

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 12:19 PM, Bobref said:

Here’s some info about the Immaculate Reception that most people don’t know. Can you imagine the controversy that would occur on social media, TV, podcasts, etc., if something like this happened today?

https://www.referee.com/immaculate-reception/

It would make for some more commercial time with a lengthy review.

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2023 at 7:34 PM, Irishman said:

I was too young to see him in his prime, but with the forming of the WHA, I was able to see him play in person with the Winnipeg Jets. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/35557785/hall-famer-bobby-hull-golden-jet-dies-age-84 

The WHA had a lot of stars on their last legs, and a lot of up and coming stars.  I was a Racers season ticket holder and it was worth it just to see Wayne Gretzky score his first professional goal.  Bobby Hull really got me hooked though.  In 1974,  one of the first game I attended Bobby took a wrist shot into the net that the naked eye couldn't see.  All I saw, sitting behind the goal, was the net bulge.  I was hooked!  There's nothing quite like live hockey!

• Like 2

When a famous person dies, it's not necessary to bring up negative stories about them.  There should be respect for them.  All of us have things in their past that we don't want to be known at all, especially at the time of our death.  But I realize that respect is difficult for some.

• 2 weeks later...