Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DTs Dandy Dozen (HHF sitting in for DT) Spraying to All Fields

Spraying to all fields.  When I hear that term, I think of Rod Carew, George Brett, Pete Rose, Tony Gwinn.  Guys who could effortlessly punch the ball to any corner of the park almost at will.  Ill be all over the place in this dozen.  Enjoy.

1. I'm hoping that Center Grove goes to The HCC, Franklin Central and Indy tech jump to The MIC and Carmel goes independent.  CG in and FC out leaves the HCC at 8 schools and stronger in all sports.  The Trojan athletic department will meld seamlessly with the other schools in the conference.  IPS leaders will lobby long and hard and eventually force Tech in to The MIC.  Tech will respond by improving facilities and upgrading their coaching staffs to compete at a much higher level.  Carmel is simply too big for the HCC and will be deemed a disruptor, hence the move to independence.  

2. We are in the early stages of the fall of Tom Allen at IU.  The massive hole the Hoosiers dug for themselves in 2021 is too big to dig out from.  Allen has already had his best recruiting class (2018) and his best record (2020) so its all downhill from here.  Greg Schiano has Rutgers on a quick rise.  They have already passed the Hoosiers.  Maryland has much more talent.  And OSU, UM, PSU and MSU seem like they are light years away.  Dark days are coming to Bloomington.  

3. I'm looking for the Bears to clean house and fire Nagy at seasons end and bring in Ryan Day.  Day will build the Bears into an NFL version of Ohio State.  Ill take that all week long.  

4. Id like to see the IHSAA adopt my proposal to split 6A into two 16 team divisions so the small 6A schools can have a fair and legitimate shot at playing for a state championship.  This group of schools (small 6A = less than 2500) are at a huge competitive disadvantage against the mega enrollment schools.  Its time to follow the Oklahoma model and get this done.  3 games on Championship Friday and 4 on Championship Saturday.  

5. The Contraction initiative needs to pick up steam and we need to see more schools follow the Oldenburg move and drop the sport.  Administrators have an obligation to provide the necessary resources if they choose to play varsity football in Indiana.  I'm strongly in favor of minimum participation standards which will require schools to meet a certain number of rostered players if they want to compete on Friday nights.  Its irresponsible and dangerous for officials to allow teams to play when they show up with less than 15 players to a varsity football game.  

6. PPs are getting stronger in the Covid era while the majority of public school programs are getting weaker.  With the Multiplier off the table, the IHSAA should mandate a simple and clean one class bump for all PPs who plan on playing varsity football next year.  This will take ALL pps out of Class 1A, which should have happened long ago.  Covenant has shown that you can assemble a PP from scratch and in 5 years contend for a state championship.  The 1 Class PP Bump Mandate combined with the SF will be the strongest move yet by the IHSAA to maintain competitive balance on the prep gridiron in Indiana.  

Stay Tuned - More to Come

9 minutes ago, HHF said:

4. Id like to see the IHSAA adopt my proposal to split 6A into two 16 team divisions so the small 6A schools can have a fair and legitimate shot at playing for a state championship.  This group of schools (small 6A = less than 2500) are at a huge competitive disadvantage against the mega enrollment schools.  Its time to follow the Oklahoma model and get this done.  3 games on Championship Friday and 4 on Championship Saturday.  

I’m sure you realize that the finalists in the 6A game the last two seasons have both been from what would be your small 6A group. So much for the hypothesis that schools from the bottom half of 6A can’t compete with the top half.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I’m sure you realize that the finalists in the 6A game the last two seasons have both been from what would be your small 6A group. So much for the hypothesis that schools from the bottom half of 6A can’t compete with the top half.

Yes.  Im aware of that.  Call it an anomaly, call it whatever you want.  Normalcy will return over the long run and the split class format will be the best option.  If there was ever an outlier, it would be the Center Grove Trojans. 

Dandy Dozen Continued

7. This bowl season is a complete disaster.  Several games cancelled due to Covid.  Players opting out.  Coaches bailing.  Teams showing up minus 30 to 40% of their scholarship players.  Does anybody even watch these games anymore?  The biggest winner so far of the bowl season is Central Michigan.  They travelled to Tucson Arizona to split a $350,000 payment to play in some gambling site sponsored bowl, and got flipped to the Sun Bowl in Tempe with a $4.2M pot to split when Miami bailed out.  Good for the Chippewas, bad for college football.  

8. Streaming is fantastic.  I watched bits and pieces of all 6 championship games and it was just fantastic.  I applaud the IHSAA Champions Network for the work that they have done to provide this great service to Indiana high school football fans across the entire state.  

9. If you haven't checked out Hoosier Highschool Football on facebook, please do.  We interview coaches from around the state, all sizes and all classes.  The small markets provided us with a fantastic response all season long.  We had over 260,000 unique readers visit our site during the season.  If you stopped by for a visit, thank you.  If not, here is the link.  Check out our current interview with Coach Rick Wimmer.  https://www.facebook.com/Hoosier-High-School-Football-

107360041590757/

10. Based on response to Hoosier High School Football, Gibson Southern has by far the biggest and most active on line presence of any high school in Indiana.  These people just cant get enough media thrown at them.  They respond to everything and the numbers are always huge.  Eastbrook would be #2 as Jeff Adamson might be the most revered head coach in his community than any other in the state.  South Adams absolutely loves its Starfires and Grant Moser is the King of Berne Indiana.  Andrean has the best on line following of the PPs, thanks to Coach Chris Skinner who is gracious and always available for an interview.  Rounding out the top 5 would be two WIC schools, Owen Valley and South Putnam.  Rob Gibson and Chuck Sorrell are Rock Stars in their respective communities.  Those fans in Western Indiana are rabid, which might explain why they have their own post season All Star game in June.  

11. Least responsive HHF areas of the state.  1 NE Indiana and The Summit.  Frankly, I think hat market is over saturated with high school sports coverage.  Last thing they need is another player in the market looking to interview a football coach.  The SAC PPs are closed and non responsive.  Fortunately South Adamd and Adams Central save the region with their openness and participation.  Mike Smith at Woodlan is terrific as well.

2. Southwest Indiana - SIAC.  Another very closed off conference that is zoned in on itself and the local scene.  Note that both the SAC and the SIAC are 10 school conferences that play a full round robin schedule and dont see anything remotely resembling a road trip until the regional round of the tournament.  The PAC is great and much more open than the SIAC.  We'll try again a little harder next year.

12. Given the imbalance that we are starting to see , I would like to see IFCA try an East - West split for the July All Star game.  This will more equally distribute the talent in Indianapolis rather than see all those kids play for the south and steamroll the North like they did this year.  Draw a line straight through the middle of Indy North to Elkhart and South to Corydon.  It will be a new experience for the players to intermingle North-South relationships on the same roster.  

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Half the teams from the last decade would have been Division II teams and, looking at who's likely moving up, Zionsville and Cathedral, that Division II group is not going to have a lot of slack come Thanksgiving weekend.

1 hour ago, HHF said:

Southwest Indiana - SIAC.  Another very closed off conference that is zoned in on itself and the local scene.  Note that both the SAC and the SIAC are 10 school conferences that play a full round robin schedule and dont see anything remotely resembling a road trip until the regional round of the tournament.  The PAC is great and much more open than the SIAC.  We'll try again a little harder next year.

Wish we had at least an non conf week in the SIAC, had planned an interesting idea when they announced VL/Jasper coming into the SIAC in 2020 and thought of an divisions 

Edited by TigerFan20

30 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Tom Allen’s best recruiting class? 2022. 

14th according to Rivals.

19th according to 24/7.

Did you not hear about this?

Too little too late.  I haven't been following that closely  Even a strong class like this is not nearly enough to dig out of the BTEast hole they are in.  I expect another 2 to 3 win season next year and then Allen will be forced out  People will come to realize over time that 2020 was a mirage..  It wasnt a real season.  

36 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

19th according to 24/7.

Its a good class but those current rankings wont hold.  Kudos for acquiring 5 Four star players.  

45 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

19th according to 24/7.

2018     0      4 stars

2019      3    4 stars( Sampson James/Bust  )(Beau Robbins - rotated on DL) (Cam Williams - Future NFL starter)

2020      1      4 star  (Rashawn Williams - Transferred out)  

2021      2       4 star  (Donaven McCulley - ?) (Jaquez Smith - Did not play)

9 hours ago, HHF said:

2018     0      4 stars

2019      3    4 stars( Sampson James/Bust  )(Beau Robbins - rotated on DL) (Cam Williams - Future NFL starter)

2020      1      4 star  (Rashawn Williams - Transferred out)  

2021      2       4 star  (Donaven McCulley - ?) (Jaquez Smith - Did not play)

Cam Williams future NFL starter? Kid couldn’t play his way onto the field on a bad IU team.

9 hours ago, HHF said:

Too little too late.  I haven't been following that closely  Even a strong class like this is not nearly enough to dig out of the BTEast hole they are in.  I expect another 2 to 3 win season next year and then Allen will be forced out  People will come to realize over time that 2020 was a mirage..  It wasnt a real season.  

They signed 7 P5 transfers as well, many who should be able to step in and contribute immediately. IU was bogged down by a horrific OC who had no business calling plays. 

6 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Cam Williams future NFL starter? Kid couldn’t play his way onto the field on a bad IU team.

Thanks for catching that.  I got him confused with Cam Jones.  Cam Williams made one tackle on special teams for IU this year.

This further reinforces my point.  IUs 4 star recruits have not performed.  Pretty dismal actually.  So Im not so high on the 5 new 4 star recruits in this 2022 class.  

5 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

They signed 7 P5 transfers as well, many who should be able to step in and contribute immediately. IU was bogged down by a horrific OC who had no business calling plays. 

This is the Michigan State model.  Rebuild quickly thru the transfer portal.

So can Tom Allen do for IU what Mel Tucker did for Sparty?

Im highly skeptical.

35 years of putrid IU football will do that to ya.

11 minutes ago, HHF said:

Thanks for catching that.  I got him confused with Cam Jones.  Cam Williams made one tackle on special teams for IU this year.

This further reinforces my point.  IUs 4 star recruits have not performed.  Pretty dismal actually.  So Im not so high on the 5 new 4 star recruits in this 2022 class.  

Compare the offer sheets to guys like Cam Williams, Beau Robbins, etc to the 4* IU has coming in next year. 

These aren’t local 4* choosing IU over Purdue and teams like Iowa and Minnesota. These are nationally recruited guys with big time offers.

Just now, Footballking16 said:

Compare the offer sheets to guys like Cam Williams, Beau Robbins, etc to the 4* IU has coming in next year. 

These aren’t local 4* choosing IU over Purdue and teams like Iowa and Minnesota. These are nationally recruited guys with big time offers.

Doesn’t change the fact that their top 20 rated recruiting class was still FIFTH in the Big Ten EAST.

IU’s climb to relevance is simply too steep under the current divisional alignment.

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

Doesn’t change the fact that their top 20 rated recruiting class was still FIFTH in the Big Ten EAST.

IU’s climb to relevance is simply too steep under the current divisional alignment.

IU is never going to legitimately compete for a B10 title under the current alignment. Still believe IU can be a consistent 6-7 game winner if they continue to recruit at this level and in certain years when stars align muster 8-9 wins.

9 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

The 4 star guys look good on paper.

I also really like 3 star DJ Moore from Snider.  He looks like a future 15 year NFL guy.

IUs 4 stars have not performed under TA.  McCulley is the key to getting this turned around.  I had read that Omar Cooper was reconsidering his committment. Looks like he has signed.  Thats encouraging  What concerns me the most is that all the lower tier teams in the conference are getting better, with the exception of Nebraska.  

8 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

IU is never going to legitimately compete for a B10 title under the current alignment. Still believe IU can be a consistent 6-7 game winner if they continue to recruit at this level and in certain years when stars align muster 8-9 wins.

They need to schedule three non-conference cream puffs annually, beat Rutgers/Maryland every year and steal one from MSU once every 2-3 years then hope they get favorable crossovers from the Big Ten West.

That's their ceiling.  8/9 is a dream more than 1-2 times per decade.

Edited by temptation

2 minutes ago, HHF said:

The 4 star guys look good on paper.

I also really like 3 star DJ Moore from Snider.  He looks like a future 15 year NFL guy.

IUs 4 stars have not performed under TA.  McCulley is the key to getting this turned around.  I had read that Omar Cooper was reconsidering his committment. Looks like he has signed.  Thats encouraging  What concerns me the most is that all the lower tier teams in the conference are getting better, with the exception of Nebraska.  

IU had been taking major steps forward up until a serious setback this year. IU had terrible luck with injuries this year and played the entire season with subpar QB play. Willing to give the new OC a chance to try and develop McCulley before writing of the Hoosiers just yet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, temptation said:

They need to schedule three non-conference cream puffs annually, beat Rutgers/Maryland every year and steal one from MSU once every 2-3 years then hope they get favorable crossovers from the Big Ten West.

That's their ceiling.  8/9 is a dream more than 1-2 times per decade.

And I don’t think that’s out of the question. IU up until this year has handled Maryland/Rutgers most years and has played MSU extremely well the last 5-6 times they’ve played. 

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

And I don’t think that’s out of the question. IU up until this year has handled Maryland/Rutgers most years and has played MSU extremely well the last 5-6 times they’ve played. 

Rutgers is a different team now that Schiano has his guys in place.  They won 5 games this year and are on the way up.

Bielema is building up The Illini quickly.  

Purdue has passed IU

Minnesota passed IU long time ago.

Maryland has better talent than IU but is poorly coached.  That will change.  

The rest are out of IUs league.

I think people were expecting McCulley to be anoher Penix.  Thats likely not going to happen.  

5 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

DT is right though.  Maryland and Rutgers are ascending and being located in recruiting hotbeds will only aid in their improvement.

Just now, temptation said:

DT is right though.  Maryland and Rutgers are ascending and being located in recruiting hotbeds will only aid in their improvement.

I’ll also take my prior statement a step farther…as an AD/coach of any power 5 program, I’m scheduling three cream puffs annually.  Other than for fan enjoyment/program exposure, early season power 5 matchups are a bad idea.