Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Anti Contraction Zealots - Read This

UCLA cancelled its appearance in the Holiday Bowl due to potential "player safety" issues related to its depleted roster.

And we have goofs here in Indiana that think its OK for a varsity football team to proceed and play as long as they can put 11 upright bodies on the field at one time.

The Bruins were down to just two interior defensive lineman yesterday, according to The Athletic's Bruce Feldman, but had more positive tests on Tuesday. Without enough players in the unit, UCLA felt unable to safely field a prepared team for the Holiday Bowl in San Diego. These two teams have not played since 1960. 

Canceling a single game due to a temporary situation, even a bowl game, is not nearly as big a deal as shutting down a program. But I certainly agree that safety comes first. Isn’t there a compromise between contraction and playing a full varsity schedule? Perhaps a “pause,” a term we’ve become all too familiar with in the post-COVID world? Or compete with only a JV schedule? Contraction is a permanent remedy for what may be a temporary situation.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Contraction is a permanent remedy for what may be a temporary situation.

Not really.  Just look at SMU and the 'death sentence' passed down to them by the NCAA in 1987.  Last I heard the current SMU football program finished the 2021 season 8-4 and was in a (now cancelled) bowl game.

Same could happen to a high school football team if the current community sentiment changes enough.

Edited by Muda69

31 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Not really.  Just look at SMU and the 'death sentence' passed down to them by the NCAA in 1987.  Last I heard the current SMU football program finished the 2021 season 8-4 and was in a (now cancelled) bowl game.

Same could happen to a high school football team if the current community sentiment changes enough.

The operative word being “could.” There’s no denying that the road back to full participation after a program is shut down for a few years is much more difficult than after a pause, or a “step down” fo a JV program.

26 minutes ago, temptation said:

I feel for the NC State folks who traveled clear across the county, bought hotels and then were informed 4 hours prior to kickoff there would be no game.

Bet they lost out on thousands of dollars.

Didn’t something like this happen to their baseball team in the spring?  Only they were the ones sent home. 

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Canceling a single game due to a temporary situation, even a bowl game, is not nearly as big a deal as shutting down a program. But I certainly agree that safety comes first. Isn’t there a compromise between contraction and playing a full varsity schedule? Perhaps a “pause,” a term we’ve become all too familiar with in the post-COVID world? Or compete with only a JV schedule? Contraction is a permanent remedy for what may be a temporary situation.

Go back and review the primary reasons for contraction and you will realize its not a response to a temporary situation but a chronic long term ailment

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I feel for the NC State folks who traveled clear across the county, bought hotels and then were informed 4 hours prior to kickoff there would be no game.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article256904077.html

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32952941/ucla-bruins-pull-holiday-bowl-hours-kickoff-due-covid-19-protocols-irking-nc-state-wolfpack

1 hour ago, temptation said:

UCLA should have to declare a forfeit and refund NC State for their troubles. I thought UCLA had a vaccination mandate for all students, staff, and personnel.

Obviously these are rumors, but it’s widely circulating on Twitter that a vote was taken before kick off and the UCLA players didn’t want to play. Losing to a G5 program in UCLA’s backyard would be horrific optics. UCLA was apparently only down to 2 scholarship defensive lineman due to COVID protocol and players being in the portal, but had more than enough players available to play this game if it was a must. 

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

UCLA should have to declare a forfeit and refund NC State for their troubles. I thought UCLA had a vaccination mandate for all students, staff, and personnel.

Obviously these are rumors, but it’s widely circulating on Twitter that a vote was taken before kick off and the UCLA players didn’t want to play. Losing to a G5 program in UCLA’s backyard would be horrific optics. UCLA was apparently only down to 2 scholarship defensive lineman due to COVID protocol and players being in the portal, but had more than enough players available to play this game if it was a must. 

NC State is in the ACC

Just now, HHF said:

NC State is in the ACC

Dave Doeren is the most underrated and unappreciated Coach in American college football

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

NC State isn’t group of 5 but I agree on all other fronts.

Children, specifically those aged 0-22 have been affected by this pandemic in ways which many of them may never fully recover (and probably not the reason many of you think) and we will see the results of it for years to come in terms of academics and socially.

I’m just glad many folks in charge have finally opened their eyes that this virus is not going away and we have to learn to live with it.

Sorry if that pisses people off but enough is enough.

Just now, temptation said:

NC State isn’t group of 5 but I agree on all other fronts.

Children, specifically those aged 0-22 have been affected by this pandemic in ways which many of them may never fully recover (and probably not the reason many of you think) and we will see the results of it for years to come in terms of academics and socially.

I’m just glad many folks in charge have finally opened their eyes that this virus is not going away and we have to learn to live with it.

Sorry if that pisses people off but enough is enough.

Yes brain fart on my part about the ACC.

Still don’t understand why we are testing asymptomatic, vaccinated players in this day in age. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

I would think a law firm in Raleigh could grab some PR and notoriety by filing a class action suit on behalf of Wolfpack families.

Then again, there are plenty of legal experts on here, and I am NOT one of them.  I barely passed Intro to Business Law. 

No. 

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

I would think a law firm in Raleigh could grab some PR and notoriety by filing a class action suit on behalf of Wolfpack families.

Then again, there are plenty of legal experts on here, and I am NOT one of them.  I barely passed Intro to Business Law. 

9 minutes ago, Bobref said:

No. 

To elaborate, UCLA’s obligations are no doubt spelled out in a lengthy contract … but that contract is not with “Wolfpack families.”  It’s with the Bowl organizers. If anyone has a legal remedy against UCLA, it’s them, 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

To elaborate, UCLA’s obligations are no doubt spelled out in a lengthy contract … but that contract is not with “Wolfpack families.”  It’s with the Bowl organizers. If anyone has a legal remedy against UCLA, it’s them, 

With you being a ref and a lawyer has your ode lady ever won an argument with you? My mom Phyllis always beats my dad’s ass. I gotta go 

• Haha 1