Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

6a is out of reach

Are we to the point where the first team from outside the Indy donut that goes to LOS and wins will be immortalized in Indiana hs football lore forever? Like South Oak Cliff, the team that just broke the 50 year state title drought for inner city Dallas teams? Obviously not anywhere near that length of a drought, but right now the odds seem almost insurmountable for a team to actually pull that off. 

15 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

I saw Jeff is playing Michigan City next year. I’d say that’s some “real competition”. The Bronchos have really struggled with the Duneland’s top teams. 

Yes, Michigan City will be a good step for Jeff in addition to adding Cathedral; however, and this is not a knock on Jeff, but more a realization, it will need a tougher schedule than just those opening couple of weeks.  Here's their schedule for next season, but they will basically have about 3-4 opportunities to be highly-tested.  Again, it's not typically the first couple of games that are issues for Harrison and Jeff, but the rest of the season that does them little favor for post-season ... especially for Harrison now moving up to 6A.

image.png.e61cfc27d5642fbe2e2d5f300ad06d14.png

32 minutes ago, temptation said:

It’s Mr. Dickhead to you.

When is our next wager?

Homestead boys basketball looking damn tough…

Not a fair fight. I always take risks and I think you are a professional handicapper on the side. That being said:

Homestead/Cathedral tomorrow will be a good one. I'll take Homestead.

How about Homestead's Lady Spartans traveling down to Indy to take on North Central on January 4th? I'll take the visiting team. 

4 minutes ago, BTF said:

Not a fair fight. I always take risks and I think you are a professional handicapper on the side. That being said:

How about Homestead's Lady Spartans traveling down to Indy to take on North Central on January 4th? I'll take the visiting team. 

Loyer is the real deal.  Should be Mr. Basketball in my opinion.  He vs Comer should be worth the price of admission.

1 minute ago, foxbat said:

Yes, Michigan City will be a good step for Jeff in addition to adding Cathedral; however, and this is not a knock on Jeff, but more a realization, it will need a tougher schedule than just those opening couple of weeks.  Here's their schedule for next season, but they will basically have about 3-4 opportunities to be highly-tested.  Again, it's not typically the first couple of games that are issues for Harrison and Jeff, but the rest of the season that does them little favor for post-season ... especially for Harrison now moving up to 6A.

image.png.e61cfc27d5642fbe2e2d5f300ad06d14.png

Both programs are unfortunately stuck in no man’s land in this regard. Too far for both the DAC and the larger Indy conferences. Don’t know how this would be solved other than for both teams to go independent (highly unlikely). Penn and Elkhart have a similar problem as well,  a little too far from both the DAC and SAC. IMO the DAC has the best chance of up-ending Indy at some point, in large part because of the fact it is solely a 5/6A conference. 6A teams playing basically any team below 5A (obviously with some exceptions) is essentially a waste of a game. 

I played for CG in the late 70s & early 80s.  We were a mediocre team that was trying to compete with the big boys.  I remember scheduling games against powerhouses such as Lawrenceburg and South Bend St Joseph so we could see how we compared to the best.  Surely the roads and buses aren't any worse than they were 40 years ago.

5 minutes ago, Grover said:

Surely the roads and buses aren't any worse than they were 40 years ago.

No, but people’s sensibilities have changed. In the 70s and 80s, nobody put up a squawk at the prospects of traveling an hour to a game. Now it’s such an inconvenience that it’s unthinkable.

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

No, but people’s sensibilities have changed. In the 70s and 80s, nobody put up a squawk at the prospects of traveling an hour to a game. Now it’s such an inconvenience that it’s unthinkable.

Kids pay a “transportation fee” at many schools around Indy.  I can’t speak for other districts/areas of the state but I’m sure that fuel prices play a factor.

I scoff at folks who claim CG to the HCC would be an inconvenience to the current member schools due to the travel time but simply put, central Indy schools have little to gain/price from traveling an hour plus.  Everyone they need is in their backyard.

(PS:  I STILL can’t believe Hammond Morton thought it was a good idea to get on a bus and play Cathedral.)

Edited by temptation

1 hour ago, scarab527 said:

I saw Jeff is playing Michigan City next year. I’d say that’s some “real competition”. The Bronchos have really struggled with the Duneland’s top teams. 

Not really accurate. Apart from Jeff blowing out Lake Central a couple times in sectionals, Merrillville is the only Duneland team they have played in the past 3 seasons. 2 were blowout losses while one went down to the wire but they still lost.

But yeah they have certainly struggled with Merrillville 

32 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Both programs are unfortunately stuck in no man’s land in this regard. Too far for both the DAC and the larger Indy conferences. Don’t know how this would be solved other than for both teams to go independent (highly unlikely). Penn and Elkhart have a similar problem as well,  a little too far from both the DAC and SAC. IMO the DAC has the best chance of up-ending Indy at some point, in large part because of the fact it is solely a 5/6A conference. 6A teams playing basically any team below 5A (obviously with some exceptions) is essentially a waste of a game. 

Jeff and Harrison would have more problems independent than staying in the NCC.  The NCC at least gives them fairly stable scheduling and a little flexibility for a couple of non-con dates.  It also provides them with a ... relatively ... home-heavy schedule every season.  My son and I were talking about Harrison's schedule next season and they are basically out of the city area for just two games for the whole season ... Marion and  Logansport.  They are technically "away" at Jeff and West Lafayette, but that's basically across the river and down the road respectively.  If Jeff and Harrison were to go independent, I don't think they yet have enough sway at this point to 1) get an easy full schedule that would 2) be much better than they have right now.  If you are someone like Cathedral, then I think you can pull off that independent thing much better than Harrison/Jeff can.  I think if Harrison/Jeff went independent, they would run into being able to solidly schedule about five opponents and then having to piece things together and probably wouldn't be much better off than their current schedule.

The good news is that, at the JV and freshman levels, Harrison's attracting good competition ... albeit at some of the lower class levels.  They played Chatard, Cathedral, and Lowell at the freshman level as well as playing Anderson's JV squad.  Harrison's JV played Brebeuf, Chatard, and Tri-West as opposed to playing the JV teams from Kankakee Valley, Anderson, and Richmond.  Harrison had also played against Roncalli in a quick COVID-adjustment game the season before, so there may be something toward some exploration of playing more P/P?  I know McCutcheon has Guerin as part of their non-con schedule and, as mentioned above, Cathedral is going to be playing Jeff this year.  That would be sweet if Harrison/Jeff could get something going with Cathedral and/or Roncalli on a more regular basis.

2 hours ago, Grover said:

I played for CG in the late 70s & early 80s.  We were a mediocre team that was trying to compete with the big boys.  I remember scheduling games against powerhouses such as Lawrenceburg and South Bend St Joseph so we could see how we compared to the best.  Surely the roads and buses aren't any worse than they were 40 years ago.

I remember when Lawrenceburg was a 1A power. The first school I ever heard being accused of recruiting. 

3 hours ago, Bears62 said:

Not really accurate. Apart from Jeff blowing out Lake Central a couple times in sectionals, Merrillville is the only Duneland team they have played in the past 3 seasons. 2 were blowout losses while one went down to the wire but they still lost.

But yeah they have certainly struggled with Merrillville 

I remember them getting blown out by LC about 5 or so years ago in sectional play too. Either way, they’ve only proven they can beat whoever the DAC doormat is that year

2 hours ago, scarab527 said:

I remember them getting blown out by LC about 5 or so years ago in sectional play too. Either way, they’ve only proven they can beat whoever the DAC doormat is that year

8 seasons ago but yeah. Jeff was getting blown out by everyone at the time. Pre Shanley era.

They haven’t had any other opportunities to prove themselves against other DAC teams. They would fit right in the Duneland from a competitive standpoint. Down year this year they will be back. 2019 Jeff team very well could have won the DAC

23 hours ago, BTF said:

Should have taken it.

13 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Definitely. Girls basketball is much more fun to watch than boys anyway. 

Lol, I've thought that for years. 

18 hours ago, temptation said:

Should have taken it.

Meet me in the Next Level room. I'll be posting a new topic, Is the SEC Overrated, in about an hour or so. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, temptation said:

I think the Homestead boys are probably the best non-Indy 4a squad.

This doesn’t bode well for the rest of the state come March.

You must watch a lot of basketball. Personally, I don't. But from what I've seen so far, I'm not sure *Homestead will even beat Snider. I have a hard time believing that the Spartans are the best team in the entire state outside of Indy. They already have a loss to Chesterton. 

*Homestead and Snider both lost to Fishers by the same margin, 12 points. 

People are always trying to fix the system. Sometimes it is just the way it is. It is not always fair. College football isn't fair. Neither is high school. Sometimes some schools are just not a school that can win the state championship. It does not mean it is a bad program or the system needs fixed to make it "fair". 

47 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

People are always trying to fix the system. Sometimes it is just the way it is. It is not always fair. College football isn't fair. Neither is high school. Sometimes some schools are just not a school that can win the state championship. It does not mean it is a bad program or the system needs fixed to make it "fair". 

Agreed. For many teams winning a sectional game is a great accomplishment. Or a sectional final or regional final. You don't need a situation where every team has a fair shot to win a state final. Schools are getting rid of valedictorian and top 30/50 designations because it creates too much stress to accomplish or doesn't spread the love enough to more students. That implies not achieving those things is failure. That's now how education should work. That doesn't mean systems can't be tweaked. But if you keep changing it so everyone has a legitimate shot at a championship you remove a key purpose of high school athletics. I'm good with class sports so there are more than 1 opportunity to win a championship. But we don't need 7 or 10 or 12 classes to do it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JustRules said:

Agreed. For many teams winning a sectional game is a great accomplishment. Or a sectional final or regional final. You don't need a situation where every team has a fair shot to win a state final. Schools are getting rid of valedictorian and top 30/50 designations because it creates too much stress to accomplish or doesn't spread the love enough to more students. That implies not achieving those things is failure. That's now how education should work. That doesn't mean systems can't be tweaked. But if you keep changing it so everyone has a legitimate shot at a championship you remove a key purpose of high school athletics. I'm good with class sports so there are more than 1 opportunity to win a championship. But we don't need 7 or 10 or 12 classes to do it.

Could not agree more! 

• Thanks 1