Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Eight Team Playoff

BTF

Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, and Ohio State are automatic locks. That way we know there are four teams that can match one another talent for talent. Four at large teams.

Why are all the 5-star athletes going to those four schools? Are they being offered more perks, or is it just coincidence? Is Nick Saban another John Wooden? A good guy who wants the best talent but doesn't care to know about the details of how they get it? Just speculating here. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Why are all the 5-star athletes going to those four schools?

There are likely different reasons for different people. But I think a common thread running through them is that if you want to play in the NFL, these schools are the best training grounds. But I would not discount the possibility that NIL is a factor as well.

This conversation is a fun one and comes up frequently but after what we saw last night, how can you justify more/worse teams getting in?

Cincinnati and Michigan are 3/4 and they got absolutely shredded by 1-2.  What’s the point of allowing 5-8 in to do the same?

It looked like a varsity vs a JV squad in those contests last night and the two teams left standing are obviously the best.

I’d love it as a fan but after last night, I have pause.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

This conversation is a fun one and comes up frequently but after what we saw last night, how can you justify more/worse teams getting in?

Cincinnati and Michigan are 3/4 and they got absolutely shredded by 1-2.  What’s the point of allowing 5-8 in to do the same?

It looked like a varsity vs a JV squad in those contests last night and the two teams left standing are obviously the best.

Money.  Period.

41 minutes ago, temptation said:

Agree. I felt like Michigan and Cincinnati deserved to be there and we found out last night the bridge between the top and “next tier” is still quite large. It seems every year there is a clear cut top 1 or 2, a distinctive 3rd team and a case for a few teams to be the 4th team in. And your reward? A matchup with the best of the best to make you realize how far away your program really is. I don’t think adding another round of blowouts benefits anyone except the ones cashing the checks. 
it’s like SEC speed is on another level and then Alabama speed is on another level by itself. It’s incredible what saban has been able to do there year in and year out. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Agree. I felt like Michigan and Cincinnati deserved to be there and we found out last night the bridge between the top and “next tier” is still quite large. It seems every year there is a clear cut top 1 or 2, a distinctive 3rd team and a case for a few teams to be the 4th team in. And your reward? A matchup with the best of the best to make you realize how far away your program really is. I don’t think adding another round of blowouts benefits anyone except the ones cashing the checks. 
it’s like SEC speed is on another level and then Alabama speed is on another level by itself. It’s incredible what saban has been able to do there year in and year out. 

Great explanation. Looks like Georgia’s speed is right there. 

These great teams w tremendous speed are duplicating what Miami did years ago. And what jimmy johnson did at Miami and Dallas. Example: put Put corner types at safety. safety types at linebacker. Linebacker types at de. De types at dt. 

3 hours ago, temptation said:

If you have an 8-team playoff, the 3v6 and 4v5 games would be good. Maybe 5 and 6 win those games and match up better with 1 and 2 so we have better semi-finals. Or go with a 12-team playoff so the first round is 5v12, 6v11, 7v10, and 8v9. Those would all likely be very good games as well making the overall playoffs entertaining. And teams 5-12 have far fewer teams opt out to start their NFL draft prep or enter the transfer portal. Same would be true for a 24-team playoff which I actually prefer. FCS uses 24, D2 uses 28, and D3 uses 32. There are many very good playoff games at those rounds. Once they figure out how to generate more revenue from 11 or 23 playoff games compared to 42 bowl games and appease the 60+ teams that don't get a postseason opportunity this will happen.

So just lock in Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, and Ohio State and be done with it? Forget about records and head to head matchups? Let's be honest, Clemson and Ohio State at least have the athletes to make the games interesting. Not sure either one would have gotten manhandled the way Michigan and Cincinnati did. 

2 hours ago, BTF said:

So just lock in Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, and Ohio State and be done with it? Forget about records and head to head matchups? Let's be honest, Clemson and Ohio State at least have the athletes to make the games interesting. Not sure either one would have gotten manhandled the way Michigan and Cincinnati did. 

Clemson will be interesting to watch going forward.  They will continue to recruit at a high level but I have a hunch Dabo is more of a figure head on game day and Venables and Elliott will be tough to replace.

Clemson’s offense was a shell of itself this fall.  They would have gotten manhandled also.

OSU would have given UGA a game early but I see the Bulldogs winning comfortably in a high scoring affair.  That Buckeyes defense is atrocious.

Edited by temptation

11 minutes ago, temptation said:

Clemson will be interesting to watch going forward.  They will continue to recruit at a high level but I have a hunch Dabo is more of a figure head on game day and Venables and Elliott will be tough to replace.

Clemson’s offense was a shell of itself this fall.  They would have gotten manhandled also.

OSU would have given UGA a game early but I see the Bulldogs winning comfortably in a high scoring affair.  That Buckeyes defense is atrocious.

Agreed.

I predict the Clemson QB (#5) will be in the transfer portal by the end of next year.

23 minutes ago, temptation said:

You don't think their defense would keep things interesting? They did keep the Georgia offense out of the endzone in Week 1. 

9 minutes ago, BTF said:

You don't think their defense would keep things interesting? They did keep the Georgia offense out of the endzone in Week 1. 

Result would have been the same just in reverse.  Close game at half that Georgia blows wide open in the second half.  Clemson’s offense wouldn’t be able to stay on the field.

Stetson Bennett, like CJ Stroud was a completely different quarterback in November/December than in September.

Edited by temptation

8 minutes ago, BTF said:

On the subject of Dabo. You don't think he has the leadership ability to put the right men in the right places like Kelly did year in and year out. Lose a coordinator, hire a coordinator?

I think he’s a fraud.  Hell of a recruiter/salesman that signs the checks.  On game day?  Average.

Time will tell on your question.

5 hours ago, DE said:

Desmond Howard and David Pollack had an interesting conversation on ESPN yesterday.

Talk was 12 team and could be voted on very soon.

Heard an interview with the SEC Commissioner on Paul Finebaum’s show, and he said the same thing. Talked about how they needed to decide on the number first, then they had time to work out the selection process.

14 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Heard an interview with the SEC Commissioner on Paul Finebaum’s show, and he said the same thing. Talked about how they needed to decide on the number first, then they had time to work out the selection process.

Love him or hate him, Finebaum is a can't miss all things SEC and really, college football in general.

I really enjoy his TV show on the SEC Network.

He takes on all callers.  He has the patience of Job, with some of them.

Did they mention anything about host site games?  Pollack was jokingly say, "Heck no, I don't know what a parka is."

You very rarely see the SEC travel north into cold/coldish weather.  I say, BRING IT!

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Finebaum is a great commentator, but I can’t listen to his radio show. Two out of every 3 callers are semi-literate Alabama fans, and I can’t understand what they are saying.

Better not tune in then when the UT fans from the Appalachians call in. Whoa Nelly.