Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NLC - 2022

On 4/12/2022 at 11:20 AM, Gridwatcher said:

They haven't even started interviews yet.

On 4/12/2022 at 4:04 PM, SportsParentalFigure said:

Is it late in the year to hire a coach? Yes. Are they taking to long to allow people to apply? No...

They need time for coaches to apply and organize schedules for the interview committee. Most schools can't hire a coach in less than 4 weeks unless there is a named successor.

https://sports.yahoo.com/elkhart-hires-saint-louis-head-040100213.html

Elkhart hires Saint-Louis as head football coach

Ken Fox, The Elkhart Truth, Ind.
Fri, April 29, 2022, 12:01 AM

Apr. 29—ELKHART — Elkhart Community Schools has named Romison Saint-Louis as it's new football coach, pending the expected approval by the school board on May 10.

Saint-Louis was the head coach at Peru High School for four years, improving from 0-10 in 2018, to 6-6, 7-2 and then reaching the sectional finals last season with an 8-3 record, falling to Norwell in a 3A sectional title game.

Edited by swordfish

18 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Added this in another thread, but for the NLCers

Andrew Mevis (K): Undrafted Free Agent: Jacksonville Jaguars via Iowa State and Fordham and Warsaw Community High School

Mevis finished his only season in Ames (as a graduate transfer from Fordham) 20-of-23 on field goals, including 2-for-2 on kicks of 50+ yards, and was perfect on PATs. Mevis was arguably the best kicker in the entire draft, and will presumably have a shot at taking the starting job since the Jaguars released longtime kicker Josh Lambo midway through the 2021 season.

His younger brother Harrison is the kicker at Missouri and will likely be a front-runner for the Groza award this season.

Was there another really good Warsaw kicker a couple of years ago too or is this the same kid? Thought he went to Missouri maybe? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Was there another really good Warsaw kicker a couple of years ago too or is this the same kid? Thought he went to Missouri maybe? 

I just leaned to read and saw the younger brother kicks at Missouri. So i wasn’t crazy just need to work on my reading stamina haha

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Warsaw has been lucky to have a number of good kickers over the last two decades. The only other one to make it as far as Andrew at this point was Jake Rogers who graduated in 2006. He went to Cincinnati, became the Bearcats all time scoring leader, and kicked deep into the NFL preseason for 3 straight seasons, getting cut at the final cut each year.

I fully expect Andrew's brother Harrison (the current kicker at Missouri) to be drafted when he's done with his college playing days.

New NLC Sectional groupings:

Class 6A - Sectional 2: Carroll (Fort Wayne), Elkhart, Penn, Warsaw

Class 5A - Sectional 11: Concord, Goshen, Mishawaka, South Bend Adams

Class 4A - Sectional 18: Logansport, Northridge, NorthWood, Plymouth, South Bend Riley, South Bend St. Joseph, South Bend Washington, Wawasee

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If it hasn't been made clear already, Northridge without a doubt is the school that will continue to push Warsaw athletically across all sports. For at least a decade or more now, the Raiders and Tigers have been the two schools battling it out for the All-Conference trophy, and there is no reason to think it won't continue to be those two schools moving forward. Two pieces of amazing news for the Northridge and Middlebury community! Outstanding!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, US31 said:

Does the current NHS gym still have the stage at the end??  I could be dating myself by asking this question....

No stage, but only 1 end with bleachers + 2 sides (where the stage would be).  For a poor design/ bad pa/ hvac system, I'm gonna definitely miss the Middlebury Madhouse.

On 5/19/2022 at 12:15 PM, US31 said:

Does the current NHS gym still have the stage at the end??  I could be dating myself by asking this question....

It's not really a stage, but an alcove of bleachers where they pack the student section. It's unique, for certain.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 9:18 PM, NRRaider2001 said:

No stage, but only 1 end with bleachers + 2 sides (where the stage would be).  For a poor design/ bad pa/ hvac system, I'm gonna definitely miss the Middlebury Madhouse.

Improvements are looking good for the school system - SF is wishing they would have had the new gym when my kids graduated......That gym was a furnace during the ceremony.....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Warsaw Boys and Warsaw Girls win the 2021-2022 All Sports Trophies

Some interesting notes

Ooooof - Wawasee athletics program as a whole. Both boys and girls finished in last place overall. For their boys programs, they were last in the NLC in 4 of the 10 sports.

Goshen was a nice surprise in 2nd place on the Boys side. I guess I don't know how previous years have gone, but I know it is usually Warsaw, Northridge and Concord that seem to battle it out for the top spot. Goshen was the outright Cross Country champ and had Co-Champ status in Tennis and Baseball.

Mishawaka struggled in the "country club" sports of Tennis, Golf and Swimming in both their boys and girls programs. Just interesting to see both struggle in the same sports.

Final note - did not realize Gymnastics was not an official conference sport apparently. It is recognized by the IHSAA, but I'm assuming not every NLC school has a team or something?

FV31sm8WIAA2YYp.jpg

3A Wawasee should leave the NLC and join the Three Rivers Conference, replacing 1A North Miami.

This would leave a conference mainly of 2a and 3A schools and put the Warriors in a much better place for their student athletes to compete against like sized schools.

Aug. 19 at Manchester 2A © 7:00 pm    
Aug. 26   Tippy Valley 3A 7:00 pm    
Sep. 2 at Southwood 1A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 9   Peru 3A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 16   Whitko 2A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 23 at Maconaquah 3A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 30   Wabash 2A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 7 at Rochester 2A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 14   Northfield 1A ©

17 hours ago, DT said:

3A Wawasee should leave the NLC and join the Three Rivers Conference, replacing 1A North Miami.

Wawasee is 4A for what it's worth and about 150 students above the largest 3A school. There are 18 schools in 4A with a smaller enrollment than the Warriors.

46 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Wawasee is 4A for what it's worth and about 150 students above the largest 3A school. There are 18 schools in 4A with a smaller enrollment than the Warriors.

Are you an advocate for them remaining in the NLC, given Warsaw's stated goal of becoming a contender in 6A football at the state level?  

14 hours ago, Crusty said:

Who is the preseason favorite in the NLC this year?

Hopefully Goshen starts playing like a big school and gets back in the conference race

The existing power structure likely to remain for now

Warsaw

Mishawaka

Concord

Northridge

Northwood

Goshen

Plymouth

Wawasee

21 hours ago, DT said:

Are you an advocate for them remaining in the NLC, given Warsaw's stated goal of becoming a contender in 6A football at the state level?  

Considering there are 6 other teams not named Warsaw or Wawasee in the NLC? Yes, the Warriors should remain in the NLC. I do not believe Warsaw needs to change their conference affiliation whatsoever. Bart Ball offense is all about repetition and perfecting that repetition. It doesn't matter if it's run against Wawasee or Warren Central. If the Tigers are ever to make a deep tournament run in 6A football, it will be due to their execution of that offense, not because Wawasee left the NLC.

16 hours ago, Crusty said:

Who is the preseason favorite in the NLC this year?

I would say Warsaw and Mishawaka are co-favorites. The Tigers bring back plenty of experience, no more so important than their QB. In Bart Ball offense, that is key. Similarly, the Cavemen will have a junior QB who gained plenty of experience last season as a sophomore filling in for his injured brother.

Northridge will be right there IMO. They have a good defensive scheme and unit, and I believe their tournament run last year helped them gain a little bit of confidence and identity on the offensive side of things that went ghost mode at times during the regular season.

Concord is the defending conference champs, and are always in the equation. However, I believe they lost quite a bit from last season. Still dangerous though and wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see them up at the top.

NorthWood has seemingly lost their edge after their State Championship Runner-Up finish now six seasons ago. They are .500 over the last two years, and I am honestly not sure what to expect from the Panthers. They could surprise due to their offense, but the Black Crunch defense will need to show up this season.

Goshen will come around over the next few years under Coach Wogomon, but I do not expect any sort of magic wand to be waved in his first season for the Redhawks. Would love to see them challenging again in the NLC.

Wawasee and Plymouth will be at the bottom again. Based off the last few years, I'll give the slight edge to the Warriors over the Rockies, if only due to the fact that Plymouth is going through a significant coaching change. Coach Barron leaving painted a pretty rough portrait of what is going on in the land of blueberries. As well, I don't know Coach Handley, but it's not like he turned Wabash around during his four season there. I wish him nothing but the best.

22 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Considering there are 6 other teams not named Warsaw or Wawasee in the NLC? Yes, the Warriors should remain in the NLC. I do not believe Warsaw needs to change their conference affiliation whatsoever. Bart Ball offense is all about repetition and perfecting that repetition. It doesn't matter if it's run against Wawasee or Warren Central. If the Tigers are ever to make a deep tournament run in 6A football, it will be due to their execution of that offense, not because Wawasee left the NLC.

I would say Warsaw and Mishawaka are co-favorites. The Tigers bring back plenty of experience, no more so important than their QB. In Bart Ball offense, that is key. Similarly, the Cavemen will have a junior QB who gained plenty of experience last season as a sophomore filling in for his injured brother.

Northridge will be right there IMO. They have a good defensive scheme and unit, and I believe their tournament run last year helped them gain a little bit of confidence and identity on the offensive side of things that went ghost mode at times during the regular season.

Concord is the defending conference champs, and are always in the equation. However, I believe they lost quite a bit from last season. Still dangerous though and wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see them up at the top.

NorthWood has seemingly lost their edge after their State Championship Runner-Up finish now six seasons ago. They are .500 over the last two years, and I am honestly not sure what to expect from the Panthers. They could surprise due to their offense, but the Black Crunch defense will need to show up this season.

Goshen will come around over the next few years under Coach Wogomon, but I do not expect any sort of magic wand to be waved in his first season for the Redhawks. Would love to see them challenging again in the NLC.

Wawasee and Plymouth will be at the bottom again. Based off the last few years, I'll give the slight edge to the Warriors over the Rockies, if only due to the fact that Plymouth is going through a significant coaching change. Coach Barron leaving painted a pretty rough portrait of what is going on in the land of blueberries. As well, I don't know Coach Handley, but it's not like he turned Wabash around during his four season there. I wish him nothing but the best.

What happened to 4A North last year?

Northridge somehow weaved its way down to a state championship appearance and no one statewide really took any notice until the Raiders actually hit the field at LOS.

Bottom line, this was one of the most underwhelming state championship participants in all of the years of the tournament, regardless of class.  NR beat 5 very bad football teams during the regular season, and got blown off the field by 4 to 7 TDs by the top tier teams in the NLC.  

Most expected the run to end against Leo, and then even New Prairie was favored to win. Mt Vernon manhandled them in the title game.

Im looking forward to seeing what Coach Eppley can do to follow up last years performance.  

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Most expected the run to end against Leo, and then even New Prairie was favored to win. Mt Vernon manhandled them in the title game.

Yet - they somehow found a way to get it done. And part of that was due to their offense finding an identify and becoming more consistent, which is the point I was making for this upcoming year's "predictions" for the conference race.

• Like 2

I’m a huge fan of the NLC.  I believe there are lot of great teams in this conference.  They all have the tools to compete year in and out for 4a ship. 

Warsaw-Hands down will run this conference this year.  Bart ball is always overwhelming and can bite you.  It’s effective and they just get it done plain and simple. Hate the offense, but it will get them to state.  

Concord- Defending champs.  They had all the kids in the right spots and had a great team connection.  It showed with there play.  Love that coach there.  He gets those dudes to play.  They will be right at the top and be a force within conference.  One thing is concord always has a surprise.  Count on it.  

Plymouth- New coach. I really don’t have much to say.  John Barron was a great coach.  But the wheels fell off.  Change is good, and I hope Plymouth can get back to being a force.

Wawasee- They seem to have a lot of issues from numbers.  Kids just not wanting to go out.  A complete overall of wawasee might be needed.  That team was very competitive a distant memory ago. Hope they find there identity again.

Northwood- They have everything in place to run the table this year. They are my pick for 4a north.  They have the offense weapons.  That defense will be a force with Evers leading the way.  Team to watch from the north.  

Mishawaka- With Fishers departing people may think back to rebuilding and his brother is a year away.  Everyone knows that offense can strike at any point!  Then your chasing your tail.  They will be right at the top.  They will compete, because his brother is very on top that offense.  Watch out.  

Northridge- Great run last year by this team.  Wogoman built Northridge into a power and the kids knew the standard at Northridge.  Everything was in place for them to peak. What can you say, it was a historic run.  Can they do it again?.  I think they can.  They can be right at the top for a conference championship  and compete in that tough sectional.  Eppley will have them ready.  Rumor mill was Gott moved for family reasons. Top 25 player in state. That hurts from a QB level. QB coach has his work cut out for him.   

Goshen- Wogoman era begins.  What he built at Northridge with the culture and players beginning to believe they can compete.  Goshen is in great hands.  I think these kids were thirsty for a change.  Watching a few games last year, they have some kids that got the edge. Senior class to be has some guys that got that football mentality they will compete!  No doubt.   I hope Goshen gets back to being Goshen.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for joining up @BL! Glad to have another NLCer in the fold.

As well - anyone that wants to discuss the NLC 2022 season - use this thread! Absolutely zero reason for @DT to anoint himself the tsar of this forum and creating new threads for every conference, especially those conferences that already have an existing thread going.

Throwing some content out there - I for one am excited with the new rotating NLC schedule that goes into effect this season. It will definitely be different not starting the conference season against Plymouth and ending with Concord (for the Tigers), but I like the changes of shifting conference opponents throughout the seasons. I think it was great that the NLC also made sure none of the 4A schools were playing each other to end the season, preventing the possibility of back-to-back weeks of facing the same opponent the last week of the regular season then first round of sectionals.

This year's schedule will be replicated in 2023 before the next shift. Final week opponents are in place for the foreseeable future.

NLC11.png.31e1c14c4aa0b79caf3c086086c66005.png

NLC22.png.61d5faa4aa5f09dae6edc0e3b950bf30.png