Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NLC - 2022

Went 6-2 on my picks last week. I underestimated Elkhart and thought that might be a game of two rebuilding squads, but the Lions blew the doors off the Minutemen. Goshen started strong and jumped out to a 14-0 lead... but could not hold on and lost in OT to Fairfield. Here we go with Week 2 highly uneducated guesses (with AP poll rankings):

5A #9 Chesterton (1-0) at 6A #11 Warsaw (1-0): Both teams impressed in week 1. The Tigers absolutely throttled Michigan City in all phases of the game, even after losing their starting QB early in the 2Q. A lot of that is in thank to senior fullback German Flores-Ortega who rushed for 184 yards and 3 TDs on 16 carries. I think the Trojans will be a much tougher challenge for Warsaw this week, especially breaking in a new QB to the fold. However, I was most impressed with the Tiger defense last week, and think they find a way to grind out the victory at home... WARSAW by 6

Concord (0-1) at Jimtown (0-1): Both teams suffered big losses in week 1 by a combined score of 64-7, ouch! Concord has won 4 out of 5 in this backyard rivalry game, but it will be interesting this year with both teams struggling to get on track. I think this is a prove it game for both programs, and I am not sold on the Minutemen this year... JIMTOWN by 4

4A #13 East Noble (1-0) at 4A #10 NorthWood (1-0): This should be a heck of a matchup this week. I have always long admired each of these programs. Both squads came off solid wins in week 1, but both of their opponents left a bit to be desired. This will definitely be a step up in competition. Kaden Lone had a heck of start to his senior season. Like a few of last week's picks, I've got my NLC-tinted glasses on... NORTHWOOD by 10

4A #7 New Prairie (1-0) at Goshen (0-1): A decent showing by the RedHawks in their debut under Coach Wogomon, but a tough one to swallow after having a 14-0 lead and all the momentum heading into halftime. They just could not get consistency on offense, and their defense finally relented to Fairfield's ground and pound offense. Losing to little brother at home is never fun, but it makes it less fun when a ranked opponent is next on the schedule. Hopefully Goshen stays healthy so they can pick up their first win the following in Syracuse... NEW PRAIRIE by 28

4A #11 Northridge (1-0) at 6A #15 Elkhart (1-0): Another matchup where both squads are coming off impressive week 1 victories. The Lions rolled Concord and the Raiders, much to my surprise, put up a 50-burger in their dismantling of SB Adams. This game will be the Channel 46 Game of the Week, adding to the excitement. Northridge RB McClain Miller had himself a NIGHT last week, running for 192 yards and 4 TDs on just 11 carries! However, as Concord can attest, the Elkhart defense is no joke... ELKHART by 14

Plymouth (1-0) at 4A #9 Kokomo (1-0): Things went as expected in Kendallville last week for the Rockies and do not get any easier this week in their trip down US 31. The Wildkats looked good at Leo last week, and should have this one wrapped up before halftime... KOKOMO by 28

4A #17 SB St Joseph (1-0) at 5A #5 Mishawaka (1-0): Old NIC foes St Joe and Mishawaka meet again in this backyard rivalry game. The Indians have Coach Downey back on the sidelines and will likely be back to their winning ways quickly. However, the Cavemen looked STRONG last week in their shutout victory over Marian... MISHAWAKA by 16

West Noble (1-0) at Wawasee (0-1): West Noble has won 4 of 5 in this matchup, and that should never be the case for Wawasee in my opinion. That is no disrespect to the Chargers, but in 3 of the losses, the Warriors have only scored 7, 6 and 7 points respectively. After Wawasee failed to score any points last week, I cannot say I'm exactly confident they will put any points up this week either, especially after West Noble only gave up 1 touchdown last week... WEST NOBLE by 21

Edited by NLCTigerFan07

Went 6-2 on my picks last week as well. 

Chesterton (1-0) at Warsaw (1-0):

Sad to hear about the Warsaw QB going down with an injury.  Don't know much about Chesterton these days (we used to open up the season against them years ago).  But i do know Warsaw and Bart Curtis will be well prepared.  WARSAW by 10

Concord (0-1) at Jimtown (0-1):

I don't think this is the typical Concord team, although they still have a few studs, I'm sure later in the season they'll start to figure things out though,  but I'm not sold on them this year.  JIMTOWN by 10

East Noble (1-0) at NorthWood (1-0):

This would typically be a really good early season Northern Indiana battle, and still could be. I've been reading the NE8 predictions thread and they seem pretty confident in EN, but I'm buying it just yet. 

NORTHWOOD by 14

New Prairie (1-0) at Goshen (0-1):

I don't think this will be as close as last week for Goshen, but they got a preview of this type of offense last week.  Not saying Fairfield is anywhere close to New Prairie talent wise, but I think Coach Wogomon will have them more competitive than a lot of people think. 

NEW PRAIRIE by 14

Northridge (1-0) at Elkhart (1-0):

TV46 Game of the Week, looks to be an electric atmosphere tonight with a large crowd expected.  Get there early to find a seat and take advantage of the tailgate open to fans of both schools.  I think Northridge is going to have a tough time in pass coverage tonight (missing a few starters at db) if the defense can't get consistent pressure on the QB.  On the other side of the ball, after rb1 for the Raiders went down early (for the 2nd year in a row) McClain Miller stepped up huge in his place and i look for him to have another big night tonight.  Should be a shootout.  Going to be a homer here since nobody else is giving them a chance. 

NORTHRIDGE by 2

Plymouth (1-0) at Kokomo (1-0)

Not much to say here, gonna be a long trip back up 31 for the boys from Plymouth (not sure what mascot to use)

KOKOMO by 35+

SB St Joseph (1-0) at Mishawaka (1-0): 

I think the Indians will be pretty solid this year, but not tonight.  Mishawaka should roll pretty easy. 

CAVEMEN by 20

West Noble (1-0) at Wawasee (0-1):

Not much to see here either, should be pretty easy for the Chargers tonight.   I'll be surprised if Wawasee wins more than one game (Plymouth) on the year.

WEST NOBLE by 24

• Like 1

We start conference match ups this week!   Here are my week 3 predictions:

Concord V. NorthWood:  Through two games, NorthWood doesnt seem to come out of the gates strong.  They havent shown themselves until toward half time.  East Noble showed what I thought would be their biggest weakness this year...run defense.  Northwood seemed to struggle with defending the good ol counter plays.  With that said, I dont think Concord will match up too well with NorthWood this year.  This is not the typical Concord team.  I feel that NorthWood may have its way with them this week.  Northwood by 28.

Goshen V. Wawasee:  Come on Goshen...your killing me.  They have shown that they can play football...just not 4 quarters.  I still have hope that they are turning that program around.  Wawasee on the other hand...its a struggle bus down in Syracuse.    I see Goshen winning this game with little to no trouble. Goshen by 21.

Northridge V. Mishawaka:  Probably going to be the best NLC game this week.  Northridge is my biggest suprise thus far into the season.  I really assumed they would be way down this year.  It always hard to win in Mishawaka and i think Northrdige will come up short on Friday.  I think it will be close...until the 2nd hafl.  Mishawaka will grind out a win and keep Northridge's offense of the field.  On a side note...Mishawaka has an awsome atmoshere and a beatiful surrounding (tucked into a neighborhood...beautiful school back drop...consession stands / restrooms on the visitors side...awsome scoreboard)  but why is the actual football field in such bad shape.  The school spent the money on the scoarboard, the entrance and the track...but spent 0 on the field.  Why is that?  Anyway...I will take Mishawaka by 14.

Plymouth V. Warsaw:  Warsaw's hasnt missed a beat with having QB2 at the helm.  Plymouth...Plymouth...i dont know what to say about them.  I feel for those kids that stick with it...and hopfully things will change for them.  I dont think Warsaw will be playing startes beyond the 3rd quarter.  Warsaw by 35.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 00NWP said:

Goshen V. Wawasee:  Come on Goshen...your killing me.  They have shown that they can play football...just not 4 quarters.  I still have hope that they are turning that program around.  Wawasee on the other hand...its a struggle bus down in Syracuse.    I see Goshen winning this game with little to no trouble. Goshen by 21.

Goshen absolutely bossed NP in the first half last week. Better team on both sides of the ball. In the second half NP made good adjustments and started dictating things on offense, but Goshen still was able to move the ball themselves, and even after their catastrophic start to the second half, they had the ball in the red zone with a chance to tie it up. Things will come around I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 00NWP said:

Concord V. NorthWood:  Through two games, NorthWood doesnt seem to come out of the gates strong.  They havent shown themselves until toward half time.  East Noble showed what I thought would be their biggest weakness this year...run defense.  Northwood seemed to struggle with defending the good ol counter plays.  With that said, I dont think Concord will match up too well with NorthWood this year.  This is not the typical Concord team.  I feel that NorthWood may have its way with them this week.  Northwood by 28.

Northridge V. Mishawaka:  Probably going to be the best NLC game this week.  Northridge is my biggest suprise thus far into the season.  I really assumed they would be way down this year.  It always hard to win in Mishawaka and i think Northrdige will come up short on Friday.  I think it will be close...until the 2nd hafl.  Mishawaka will grind out a win and keep Northridge's offense of the field.  On a side note...Mishawaka has an awsome atmoshere and a beatiful surrounding (tucked into a neighborhood...beautiful school back drop...consession stands / restrooms on the visitors side...awsome scoreboard)  but why is the actual football field in such bad shape.  The school spent the money on the scoarboard, the entrance and the track...but spent 0 on the field.  Why is that?  Anyway...I will take Mishawaka by 14.

Plymouth V. Warsaw:  Warsaw's hasnt missed a beat with having QB2 at the helm.  Plymouth...Plymouth...i dont know what to say about them.  I feel for those kids that stick with it...and hopfully things will change for them.  I dont think Warsaw will be playing startes beyond the 3rd quarter.  Warsaw by 35.

They practice on the game field. That beats it up pretty bad. I think it works to their advantage as the season goes on.

Edited by SportsParentalFigure

On 8/29/2022 at 9:40 AM, 00NWP said:

I have heard from several people that Mishawaka's field is their best in a few years.

I went 7-1 last week on the picks, taking me to 13-3 so far this year. If only I were this good on all my sports predictions! Conference play gets started tonight, and with that a few new Week 3 matchups due to the schedule change in the NLC to rotate opponents every two seasons. There are two traditional Week 3 rivalries (Warsaw/Plymouth and Concord/NorthWood) and then two matchups that used to be in the final week of the season (Wawasee/Goshen and Northridge/Mishawaka). Here we go with my predictions (weekly rankings based on AP poll)

5A #16 Concord (1-1) at 4A #7 NorthWood (2-0): The Panthers came away with an impressive victory last week against East Noble after pulling away in the second half. The Minutemen bounced back to even their win/loss record shutting out backyard rival Jimtown. Fun fact - this series is tied 18-18 over the last 35 years. Always tends to be a good one! Both have a common opponent in the Jimmies, and NorthWood looked more dominant in their victory. The Panthers were my pick to win the NLC this year, and they'll start the conference season 1-0... NORTHWOOD BY 16

Goshen (0-2) at Wawasee (0-2): Both teams coming off disappointing losses, but the Redhawks by far had the tougher opponent. Goshen hung in with New Prairie a lot longer than most would have predicted. You can see glimpses of hope with that team. Just need to put together 4 quarters of good football. The Warriors on the other hand... at least they were able to put some points up on the board this week. Any chance for victories this season are tonight and next week. They are at home tonight, but I just think the RedHawks are the better team and get the victory in Coach Wogomon's return to Syracuse... GOSHEN BY 14

4A #16 Northridge (1-1) at 5A #3 Mishawaka (2-0): Both teams had different outcomes against their NIC opponents last week. The Raiders took it on the chin at Elkhart, while the Cavemen continued to impress against SB St Joe. Interesting fact - since Bart Curtis took over at Warsaw, and since Mishawaka joined the NLC - Northridge is 0-fer against "Bart Ball" offense that both teams run, including a regular season finale defeat of 58-14 to the Cavemen. Can the Northridge defense finally figure out a way to stop this style of offense? My thoughts are no... MISHAWAKA BY 21

Plymouth (0-2) at 6A #12 Warsaw (2-0): Truly a tale of two teams and programs going opposite ways. Plymouth has now lost 13 straight games, which seems unheard of for the Rockies. Meanwhile, the Tigers have had two impressive victories to start this season and once again get to play at home in the Lake City. Here is to hoping the Tigers stay healthy after rolling to a victory tonight before a tough upcoming stretch at Concord, at NorthWood, then home vs. Mishawaka... WARSAW BY 35

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Very proud of our guys battling a team nobody gave us a shot at going to 2 overtimes. 

FYI this was called opi on the Raiders, and would've put them in scoring position for the win. 

Overall both teams looked really good. 

FB_IMG_1662213240325.jpg

I wasn’t there, so I have no opinion on the play. But I would caution everyone against forming an opinion based on a single still photograph.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I wasn’t there, so I have no opinion on the play. But I would caution everyone against forming an opinion based on a single still photograph.

Agreed, however I was there.  Overall a few tough calls, but not anything too crazy.   Just hate seeing such a hard fought battle between two great programs be influenced by a really tough call.

49 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I get that a bad call is gonna happen, just a tough time in the game for it to be called.   

Also the official pictured wasn't the one that called it, that was from the guy 25+ yes behind the play. 

I also misspoke, white was called for dpi not opi.

Either way, on to next week against Northwood, which will be a whole different challenge. 

46 minutes ago, NRRaider2001 said:

I get that a bad call is gonna happen, just a tough time in the game for it to be called.   

Also the official pictured wasn't the one that called it, that was from the guy 25+ yes behind the play. 

I also misspoke, white was called for dpi not opi.

Either way, on to next week against Northwood, which will be a whole different challenge. 

Great game, both teams had several chances. 2 very impressive coaching staff's. I hope the young man from Northridge is okay. 

• Like 1

I know it's only through 3 weeks of the season and Warsaw's 70 point performance against a woeful Plymouth has this statistic skewed a bit. HOWEVER, I find it awesome that both Warsaw and Mishawaka are leading class 6A and 5A, respectively, in scoring offense running that Triple - Midline - Toss / "Bart Ball" style of offense. Just goes to show you don't have to be a high flying offense to score a lot of points.

image.png.925260c9c85121a0f57be25cb84fd13a.png

Week 4 in the NLC and still no clear cut favorite to win it.  I am going to guess it will be a shared title...possibly by more than two teams.  One big suprise thus far (for me...maybe not others) is the play of the Northridge Raiders!  I really thought it would be a down year for them...boy was i wrong.  They took Mishawaka to the wire and i really thought their defense was outstanding against the ground and pound of Mishawaka...at Mishawaka.  Northridge has moved up to be a favorite to share the NLC title as I dont think any teams will run the table in conference play.  

Here are my predictions for this Friday

Mishawaka V. Goshen:  I like what I am seeing from Goshen this year.  They are being competitive and making improvements each week.  Things are looking up for their future.  That being said...I dont think it will take long for Mishawaka to pull away.  I could see this game getting ugly for the Redskins...I mean Redhaws.  Mishawaka by 28.

NorthWood V. Northridge:  Im not real sure why this game was scheduled at Northridge rather than at NorthWood as NorthWood was away last year as well.  I dont mind as Northridge has excellent facilities...other than having to walk about 4 miles to get to the visitors stands.  After watching NorthWood throw the ball about 5 million times to their outstanding recievers (Filley returned from injury) last week, teams had better have an outstanding secondary.  I know Northridge has a good defense, im just not sure they have seen a passing game like NorthWood has this year.  That will be the key to this game as I do know Northridge can defend the run.  NorthWood's defense has suprised me as I thought their front...3...or whatever they are playing (it changes every play) would struggle.  Most of the points scored against them were bombs thrown by opposing QBs.  I think this game will be close...in the begining of the game.  I can see Northwood pulling away later in the game and Northridge having to pass alot and attempt to play catch up.  Northwood by 17.

Warsaw V. Concord:  Im not sure if Warsaw is that good or Plymouth is that bad.  Warsaw completly destroyed Plymouth in all aspects of last weeks game.  I dont know if Plymouth will be close in any games this year.  After watching Concord play last week, i dont think they will give Warsaw much of a problem.  Concord has some size and they did a good job of stopping NorthWoods run game, i just dont think they have enough to slow down Warsaw's offense.  Warsaw by 28

Wawasee V. Plymouth:  Well...here is the game both teams have been waiting for as someone will have to win.  This could actually be a good game.  Wawasee played better last week...not good...but better.  Plymouth...well...they did not.  I really hope the fellas stick with it down there.  I fear years like this and last are going to have long term effects for their already struggling program.  The boys in Syracuse should win this one...but i have hopes Plymouth will make it competative.  Wawasee by 10.  (Side note:  Unpopular opinion...I was at the blueberry festival this past weekend down in Plymouth...and the bluberry doughnuts are overrated...i said what i said!)

• Like 1

A decent start to the conference slate last week as we are already a third of the way through the regular season. All the "favorites" won, but some of that margins of victory were surprising. I went 4-0 last week on my picks, bringing my season total to 17-3. A few interesting games this week that I think will show us who are contenders, and who are pretenders. The top three favorites (Mishawaka, NorthWood and Warsaw) all hit the road. Here goes my uneducated guesses for Week 4 of the season (weekly rankings based on AP poll):

#2 5A Mishawaka (3-0) at Goshen (1-2): The Cavemen survived and epic battle in double OT last week against Northridge, while the Redhawks got Coach Wogomon his first victory leading his alma mater. I was a little surprised with the Raiders hanging tough against Mishawaka. Will that help them focus on not overlooking Goshen? I think the Redhawks keep it close for a few quarters, but they are not quite on the same level as the Cavemen... MISHAWAKA BY 16

#6 4A NorthWood (3-0) at Northridge (1-2): The Panthers turned it on offensively last week and left Concord behind in an impressive victory, while the Raiders earned a "morale" victory in their double OT loss to Mishawaka. Last year's regular season matchup saw NorthWood blow out Northridge 42-8 behind a strong game from Owen Roeder in relief. This year, he's the starter and coming off a game in which he threw for almost 400 yards and 4 TDs. A complete shift in offensive styles for the Raiders to prepare for this week. I think they come out flat at home and the Panthers continue to roll... NORTHWOOD BY 14

#10 6A Warsaw (3-0) at Concord (1-2): The Tigers completely dismantled the hapless Pilgrams last week, while Concord was spanked by NorthWood. Warsaw's offense seems to be doing just fine without their season starting QB, but even more impressive is the Tiger defense out the gate. Against Michigan City, the 3rd string D allowed a TD in the final minutes. In the Chesterton game, they allowed a single TD while also scoring a defensive TD. And last week shut out Plymouth while scoring 2 TDs themselves. The Minutemen will be a stiffer challenge than the Pilgrams, but the Tigers should have revenge on their mind after losing last year's defacto NLC championship game in Dunlap... WARSAW BY 17

Wawasee (0-3) at Plymouth (0-3): The NLC Toilet Bowl for the third straight year as neither team has a conference victory outside of this game with the exception of Wawasee's win over Goshen in the 2020 season. Someone gets a tally in the win column tonight, and possibly the only win either of these teams will have this year. I have no confidence in making the Warriors my pick tonight, however, at least they have shown they can score points on offense. The Pilgrams have been outscored 170-7 so far this season... WAWASEE BY 6

• Like 1

Observations from last weeks games:  All the games worked out the way i thought they would...score wise.  I was suprised how flat Northridge was on Friday.  They didn't really compete with NorthWood which suprised me after the showing they had against Mishawaka.  I will say that NorthWood has something they havent had in sometime...a passing attack.  I dont know if many schools will have that many good DBs'to answer all of their receiver threats.  With that said, the next 3 weeks will determine the conference champs as the 3 leaders all play one another.  I still feel it will be a shared title.  

Here are my picks for the upcoming games:

Concord V. Wawasee:  Concord did better than i though they would against Warsaw.  Good for Wawasee at finally getting that win...it was against Plymouth...but a win is a win.  I think their smiles will be short lived and Concord will win this week.  Concord by 21.

Northridge V. Goshen:  Afer watching Northridge last week...im not counting Goshen out of this game.  I think Goshen has shown flashes of a good team, just not for a complete game.  If Northridge plays like they did against Mishawaka, i think they win easy.  If they play like they did against NorthWood...not so much.  This is my NLC upset special this week.  Goshen by 6.

Plymouth V. Mishawaka:  Not a whole lot to say here.  I think Plymouth may loose this game by more than they did against Warsaw (I hope this is not the case for the kids sake).  Mishawaka by 63?

Warsaw V. NorthWood:  This could be one of the better games in the state.  NorthWood seems to have a passing attack that teams can not defend (they have so may receiving options).  They also have two young men that have played and excelled at in quarterbacks and can throw the ball.  Preparing to play NorthWood has to be a headache.  On the other side of the ball, Warsaw hasnt missed a beat with their "Bart Ball" being led with QB2.  I have said all season, NorthWoods heel is their defensive line.  They have suprised me and have a bend dont break approach, with the line backers stepping up to fill holes.  This matchup could go either way and is a toss up with me.  I will guess that it will be a packed house at Andrews Field down in Nappanee.  Ill take NorthWood by 3.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 00NWP said:

Concord V. Wawasee:  Concord did better than i though they would against Warsaw.

Great write up @00NWP ! I will make my picks later on this week, but one thing I wanted to call out was that 19-0 final score was a bit deceiving. Not taking anything away from Concord, but Warsaw's kicker had an unusual off night on Friday and missed 1 XP and 3 very makeable FGs. With the missed XP, it caused Warsaw to go for 2 on their following TD, which they did not convert. So if the kicker is able to make the first one, then make the second one, and hit the 3 FGs, it easily could and should have been a 30-0 victory for Warsaw.

Again - not taking anything away from the Minutemen here. Their defense bent much of the night, but did not break once the Tigers got onto their side of the field. They deserve much credit, but I do feel the final score is not indicative of how the game was played.