Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NLC - 2022

Observations from last Friday and this Fridays' predictions:

The Concord / Northridge game turned into a good one!  I feel for the Soph. quarterback from Concord spiking it on 4th.  Chaulk that up to a learning experiance as up to the point, he did well for his 1st start on varsity.  Kuddos to Northridge to come back and win that game.

Warsaw / Wawasee: No suprises with that game.  

Goshen / Plymouth: Man, Goshen cant catch a break this year.  They won with who they had left on the roster...im optimistic for the upcoming years for Goshen.  Plymouth...its been a ruff year (s)...but on a plus side, they did win a Freshman game...so possibly will be a bit more competative in the upcoming years.

NorthWood / Mishawaka: Great game this past Friday.  NorthWoods defense stepped up and won this game for them.  Mishawaka did a great job of shutting their passing game down (other than the 1st series).  In my opinion, Mishawaka overall preformed better than NorthWood (i know the score says different).  Fun fact, the young man who scored both TD's for NorthWood (receiving and special teams) was a transfer from Mishawaka to NorthWood last year. At the completion of the game, he went last in the line and about 97 percent of Mishawaka players gave him a hug (they must have been sad to see him go).  Mishawaka's drives were taking upwords of 8 to 9 minutes...NorthWood's defense bent but did not break and capitalized on a couple of Mishawaka's untimely mistakes.  I would assume that NorthWood's potent offense would have began producing...if they were ever on the field.  I am a strong believer that both teams will represent the North in both 4A and 5A come November.

This weeks games:

I dont think there will be any suprises...or close games...this week in the NLC.  For the teams that have a chance to win some post season games, this week will be a nice week to rest some banged up starters.

Goshen V. Warsaw:  I dont see Goshen being very competative in this game with all of their injuries.  Warsaw will have its way with the Red Hawks.  Warsaw by 40

Mishawaka V. Concord:  Will probably be the best game of the week.  I didnt watch the Northridge / Mishawaka game, however, they were able to keep up with Mishawaka and take them into 2 ots.  If Concord can figure out that formula...they may make it competative.  I dont see that happening.  Mishawaka by 27

Northridge V. Plymouth:  Northridge should win this easily.  Plymouth just isnt there this year and depending what team shows up for Northridge, this could be very one sided.  Ill take Northridge by 21

Wawasee V. NorthWood: I dont see Wawasee being that much of a threat to NorthWood.  I feel like NorthWood's starters may play a quarter maybe two before a running clock starts.  A lot of younger guys will see the field this week.  NorthWood by 45.

• Like 1

Same as @00NWP - This week doesn't really get the juices going. Every game should be a blowout.

Warsaw still has a few people banged up and some suspensions I believe, but with the number of Redhawks injured, no reason why the Tigers can't still win that game by at least 21 points. The sophomore QB that Warsaw switched to will end up being a stud in my opinion. Good for him to get experience this season for following years.

Mishawaka could face a bit of a stiff test against Concord. The Minutemen defense is stout enough to give them some stuggles, and the Cavemen could be down a little following last week's loss. Still see them winning though.

Plymouth might not score another point this season. Northridge should win that game comfortably while the Rockies will likely head into the 2023 season on a 21 game losing streak! (Depending on the sectional draw) If they open the season with East Noble and Kokomo again next year, with Warsaw in week 3, I have no doubt they'll be looking at a 24 game losing streak before their week 4 game against Wawasee.

NorthWood will have a running kickoff against Wawasee coming out of halftime. The Warriors might wish the COVID rules were in effect when the running clock was allowed to start in the first half. Panthers just need to stay healthy these last 2 weeks before a push to Indy.

One more week left in the regular season...this upcoming week is kind of being overshadowed by playoff talk.  Here are my observations from last weeks games and this weeks predictions:

Mishawaka / Concord:  Im not sure if Concord is on the upswing or Mishawaka is on the downswing.  Its good for Concord going into the playoffs...may be concerning for Mishawaka going into the playoffs.  Concord showed up to play!  This was a good defensive game...that will be replayed here in a couple of weeks.  In all the other games, there were no suprises...all the teams preformed as everyone thought they would.

This weeks predictions:

Concord V. Plymouth: Concord is playing at a higher level than they did in the begining of the year.  Plymouth is playing the exact same.  I dont see Plymouth being very competative in this game.  Concord by 28

Goshen V. NorthWood:  This may be the most lopsided NLC game of the year.  Goshen is really struggling with the injury bug and NorthWood is well...being NorthWood.  I forsee alot of younger guys getting alot of playing time and a running clock starting as soon as possible.  NorthWood by 60ish?

Mishawaka V. Wawasee: This will be a good game for Mishawaka to rest some of their players for the playoffs.  When NorthWood played them, their running back (#14 i believe) was fantastic...however...everytime he got the ball...his shoulder injury would act up.  I noticed Wawasee was using their back up QB...im not sure if their normal QB was injured or if something else was going on.  Either way I see Mishawaka winning big.  Mishawaka by 42

Warsaw V. Northridge:  This will be the best game to finish up NLC play.  You never know what Northridge team is going to show up each week.  Their defense is excellent one week...then the next...suspect.  Warsaw will run their offense, and it comes down to how Northridge handles it.  Im going to take Northridge at home.  Northridge by 7.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 2:52 PM, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Here are my predictions for the NLC race this season. We'll check back in 9 short weeks to see how I've done.

1. NorthWood - I think they surprise and win the title this year in a wide open conference race. They have two QBs with quite a bit of experience and athletes all over the field. With the new schedule, they have a tough lineup week's 3-7, so we'll know by October how this prediction plays out.

2. Warsaw - The Tigers have only won 1 NLC Title under Coach Curtis, and always seem to get tripped up in a game that ultimately prevents them from claiming the crown. They should be solid this season bringing back their QB and getting back a stud FB from injury, and defensively anchored by the Katris twins.

3. Mishawaka - The Cavemen will be a good team this year and will easily compete for the NLC crown again. However, they are 0-2 against the Tigers since their move to the new conference, and with the game at Warsaw this season, I see them losing another close battle and perhaps another game this season.

4. Goshen - Here's an even bigger surprise than picking NorthWood as champs. I think Coach Wogomon gets the Redhawks on the right track, and they have a QB with plenty of experience. His play is what I'm betting on for Goshen to end up in the top half of the NLC this season as opposed to the other contenders below them here.

5. Northridge - I firmly believe the Raiders will once again have the or one of the stoutest defenses in the conference. However, can they score on offense? Losing Gott was a bigger blow than what I think some Northridge fans are leading on. If they somehow figure something out on that side of the ball, they can move up this list, but they'll need to prove that first.

6. Concord - They definitely have athletes and a few "dudes" on the roster this year, but I think they see a big drop off following their championship season from last year. Starting their NLC schedule with NorthWood then Warsaw, might be the deciding factor for them. If they played those teams later in the season, maybe they'd have a chance with more experience under their belt. Coach Koehler is great though and can definitely get the Minutemen to eat my words.

7 & 8  Wawasee/Plymouth - Both of these teams will be just as bad as they have been for the last few seasons. The Warriors have the benefit of having the same coach, whereas the Rockies are breaking in a new coach who did not exactly set the world on fire during his time at Wabash. Wawasee also has a fairly manageable schedule their first 4 weeks of the season, whereas Plymouth opens with 3 consecutive road games that will all but certainly be losses.

This definitely feels like a season in which we will have some sort of shared title between two or more teams. Would not surprise me at all.

Looking back on this post-  I was spot on with some predictions, and missed elsewhere. I called the Panthers winning the NLC title, and they looked dominant in doing so. An instant classic game against Mishawaka almost derailed the perfect season for NorthWood, but they win the conference title with their eyes set on a run to Indianapolis on Thanksgiving weekend.

Flip flopped between Mishawaka and Warsaw, and I swung and missed on my bold prediction of Goshen coming out the gates swinging in Wogomon's first year. Of course, injuries did not help the Redhawks in that area. I correctly picked Northridge to finish ahead of Concord. The Minutemen swing back and forth between .500 regular season records one year, then compete for a confernce championship the next. Look for Concord to be in the thick of things next season!

Best of luck to all the NLC teams in the state tournament. Obviously pulling hard to see my Tigers get a few upset victories, but think NorthWood and Mishawaka both have a chance in their respective classes.

I'd love to see Mishawaka battle with Snider or North in that Regional title game, and a NorthWood vs. New Prairie matchup in that Regional would be a darn good one as well. I truly think things set up nicely for the Panthers. They will be on the road their first two games, but would host the Sectional Championship game, and then would likely host the Regional as well (specifically if it's New Prairie that they play against).

I was with you on your predictions at the begining of the year (other than Goshen).  I thought the championship was going to be a toss up between Mishawaka and Warsaw.  As a NorthWood follower, I am suprised by the fact we won the NLC outright.  I really thought Mishawaka and Warsaw's running game was going to be the downfall of NorthWood.  I was incorrect, and actually their defense has been stellar this year.  I had them finishing around 3rd.  I do however this that is how it will be next year as NorthWood is losing alot of talent this year.

Here are my thoughts on the NLC post season:

Wawasee: Will lose Friday

Plymouth: Will Lose Friday

Northridge: Will lose Friday

NorthWood will win that sectional

Concord will win next week...meaning Goshen will lose

Mishawaka will win that entire sectional

Warsaw: I think its  coin toss with Elkhart, however, I think that is as far as they go.

I see NorthWood making it to state this year and I will reserve my thoughts who they will play until later in the post season. (unpopular opinion...Roncalli is beatable)

I think Mishawaka will give Merriville a game in regionals, however, I think they will fall to the pirates.

I guess Im taking Mishawaka to Semi State....as long as they do not fall behind early, they will be hard to beat.  Judging from their game against NorthWood, any team they play has to make each offensive series count as you dont get many of them.

On 10/17/2022 at 2:49 PM, 00NWP said:

I was with you on your predictions at the begining of the year (other than Goshen).  I thought the championship was going to be a toss up between Mishawaka and Warsaw.  As a NorthWood follower, I am suprised by the fact we won the NLC outright.  I really thought Mishawaka and Warsaw's running game was going to be the downfall of NorthWood.  I was incorrect, and actually their defense has been stellar this year.  I had them finishing around 3rd.  I do however this that is how it will be next year as NorthWood is losing alot of talent this year.

Here are my thoughts on the NLC post season:

Wawasee: Will lose Friday

Plymouth: Will Lose Friday

Northridge: Will lose Friday

NorthWood will win that sectional

Concord will win next week...meaning Goshen will lose

Mishawaka will win that entire sectional

Warsaw: I think its  coin toss with Elkhart, however, I think that is as far as they go.

I see NorthWood making it to state this year and I will reserve my thoughts who they will play until later in the post season. (unpopular opinion...Roncalli is beatable)

I think Mishawaka will give Merriville a game in regionals, however, I think they will fall to the pirates.

I agree except for a couple of games...

1.  Plymouth will upset St. Joe.  (I believe that we are due)

2.  Ridge will win.

3.  Warsaw will lose which is just my take on the coin flip.

While I would really like to see the players from Plymouth come out on top and I think Plymouth is moving in the right direction (I give it about 2 years before they are competative in the NLC)....I really think St. Joe has played a much tougher schedule.  Them playing the likes of Mishawaka, Penn, Elkhart and New Prairie gives them the edge in my opinion.  

12 hours ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

I agree except for a couple of games...

1.  Plymouth will upset St. Joe.  (I believe that we are due)

Not a chance in the world

11 hours ago, Bobref said:

I’ll actually be at the Rockpile for this one. What are the chances it will be a competitive game?

I would be SHOCKED if this is competitive. St Joe ain't world burners, but they are definitely better than Wawasee and Goshen, and Concord isn't MUCH better than the Indians and the Rockies got smoked 52-0.

@Plymouthfan91 - Can I ask what makes you so confident in this? I will give you that Plymouth likely has had the stronger schedule between the two teams, but the only teams Plymouth have hung with this year are a terrible Wawasee squad and a banged up Goshen team.

St Joe's has a Sagarin Rating of 46.53 with wins over teams that have Sagarin Ratings of 43.92 (SB Adams), 40.40 (Marian), and 38.51 (Lakeland).

Plymouth has a Sagarin Rating of 24.48.

The Indians are about an 18.5 point favorite according to @hhpatriot04 predictor tool.

Help me drink the Big Red kool-aid! What makes you think the Pilgrams are going to keep this one close?

Edited by NLCTigerFan07

I would be absolutely stunned if Plymouth beats St Joe. Since playing Wawasee on September 9th Plymouth has scored 2 TDS and been out scored 191-13.  I know St Joe isn’t good but nowhere in seeing 3 straight blowouts and running clock games against the Rockies makes me think they’ll come out and win that game.

Week 2 of the playoffs for the remaining NLC teams.  Wawasee and Plymouth are out as was expected.  There are some good match ups this week:

Elkhart V. Warsaw:  This could be a great game, I know the expectations were high for both teams and both teams have looked really good at times this year...and on the other side, there has been some head scratching at other times.  I thought Elkhart was going to contend in the beggining of the year, however, after last week at New Prairie, I now think differently.  Elkhart did not do a good job of stopping NP's run game so I will take Warasaw at home in this game. Warsaw by 10

Concord V. Goshen:  Not a whole lot to say here as it will be a repeat of their meeting earlier this week.  Concord by 21

Adams V. Mishawaka:  A very lopsided game, Mishawaka will win big.  Mishawaka by 35

Logansport V. Northridge:  Knowing the type of offense Logansport runs, I give Northridge the edge in this game.  If they can play like they did against Mishawaka, it will be an easy win.  I dont know alot about Logansport, other than they run a similar offense to Mishawaka and Warsaw.  In looking at their schedule, other than the two games they lost...it isnt that great.  Ill give the edge to the home team in this game.  Northridge by 14

NorthWood V. St. Joe:  Will all things said that I will keep quite about, I still think NorthWood wins this game easily.  St. Joe who is typically a playoff rival with NW in the past, just isnt having a great year.  I will take NW by 28.

*Side Note*  At the Washington / NorthWood game last week, I was really saddend to see the lack of support for the Washington team.  Is this normal for the South Bend schools?  I think I counted 56 people in their stands (stands designed to hold thousands)...including 4 officers eating popcorn.  I feel for the kids whom dont get alot of support and was really excited to see their enthusiasm when they scored.  Its sad to see senior last game end with a score like that.

19 minutes ago, 00NWP said:

Week 2 of the playoffs for the remaining NLC teams.  Wawasee and Plymouth are out as was expected.  There are some good match ups this week:

Elkhart V. Warsaw:  This could be a great game, I know the expectations were high for both teams and both teams have looked really good at times this year...and on the other side, there has been some head scratching at other times.  I thought Elkhart was going to contend in the beggining of the year, however, after last week at New Prairie, I now think differently.  Elkhart did not do a good job of stopping NP's run game so I will take Warasaw at home in this game. Warsaw by 10

Concord V. Goshen:  Not a whole lot to say here as it will be a repeat of their meeting earlier this week.  Concord by 21

Adams V. Mishawaka:  A very lopsided game, Mishawaka will win big.  Mishawaka by 35

Logansport V. Northridge:  Knowing the type of offense Logansport runs, I give Northridge the edge in this game.  If they can play like they did against Mishawaka, it will be an easy win.  I dont know alot about Logansport, other than they run a similar offense to Mishawaka and Warsaw.  In looking at their schedule, other than the two games they lost...it isnt that great.  Ill give the edge to the home team in this game.  Northridge by 14

NorthWood V. St. Joe:  Will all things said that I will keep quite about, I still think NorthWood wins this game easily.  St. Joe who is typically a playoff rival with NW in the past, just isnt having a great year.  I will take NW by 28.

*Side Note*  At the Washington / NorthWood game last week, I was really saddend to see the lack of support for the Washington team.  Is this normal for the South Bend schools?  I think I counted 56 people in their stands (stands designed to hold thousands)...including 4 officers eating popcorn.  I feel for the kids whom dont get alot of support and was really excited to see their enthusiasm when they scored.  Its sad to see senior last game end with a score like that.

So I’m guessing the rumor I heard about NorthWood is true

Edited by Rocket
Spellcheck

2 hours ago, Rocket said:

So I’m guessing the rumor I heard about NorthWood is true

Yeppers.  Kids will be kids I know, but this group of kids have let down an entire community with their actions.  Football is king in the Wanee area and these guys who were leaders have set a horrible example with a devastating result.  Knowing the families involved, there is immense disappointment and embarrassment.  It's too bad, because this team was set to go deep into November. 

I just feel sick for everyone involved with the program. 2022 will likely go down as a “what if” year now. I can’t imagine how you’d feel if you worked your whole life for this moment and the only legacy you end up leaving for the program is being a cautionary tale.  I’m sure we’ll get a lot of coach speak about “next man in”, but I don’t know how you overcome losing that many players in the tournament. 

The Panthers are deep. More kids will have to go both ways, but nothing NW hasn’t had to do before. I wouldn’t count them out quite yet. Offense will still put up points with their playmakers (Lone, Payne, Tuggle, etc.) Andrews and the coaching staff will have the players ready to play. Both coordinators, Wilson and Boocher, are the best in the business. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, CTP said:

The Panthers are deep. More kids will have to go both ways, but nothing NW hasn’t had to do before. I wouldn’t count them out quite yet. Offense will still put up points with their playmakers (Lone, Payne, Tuggle, etc.) Andrews and the coaching staff will have the players ready to play. Both coordinators, Wilson and Boocher, are the best in the business. 

Anyone going to elaborate on the reasoning kids got suspended?