Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

Recommended Posts

DATE OPPONENT EASTERN TIME OA 0.0, DA 0.0
Aug. 19 at Concord 5A 7:00 pm    
Aug. 26   Carmel 6A 7:30 pm    
Sep. 2 at Hammond Morton 5A 7:00 pm    
Sep. 9 at South Bend Washington 3A 7:00 pm    
Sep. 16   Penn 6A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 23 at South Bend St. Joseph 4A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 30   South Bend Adams 5A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 7   Mishawaka Marian 3A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 14 at New Prairie 4A © 7:30 pm    
©NORTHERN INDIANA CONFERENCE GAME

This is what John Harrell has as the Elkhart schedule.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ASJCPUMA said:
DATE OPPONENT EASTERN TIME OA 0.0, DA 0.0
Aug. 19 at Concord 5A 7:00 pm    
Aug. 26   Carmel 6A 7:30 pm    
Sep. 2 at Hammond Morton 5A 7:00 pm    
Sep. 9 at South Bend Washington 3A 7:00 pm    
Sep. 16   Penn 6A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 23 at South Bend St. Joseph 4A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 30   South Bend Adams 5A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 7   Mishawaka Marian 3A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 14 at New Prairie 4A © 7:30 pm    
©NORTHERN INDIANA CONFERENCE GAME

This is what John Harrell has as the Elkhart schedule.

 

 

Probably not accurate as Harrell's also has Carmel's schedule looking like the following with their games against Pike, NC, WC, and CG listed as MIC games.

image.png.eca1c5e58ee119f36ff741d8b7bc65cd.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DE said:

Can you elaborate on what Dunlap means?  It should read Concord, correct?

Correct.  Concord HS is technically in a small town (?) called Dunlap.  But is basically the southeastern part of Elkhart.

Concord has historically been the “little brother” that typically beat up on his older brother/brothers of Elkhart (or Central & Memorial before the merger).  
 

Has always been a rivalry there…my guess is someone at Elkhart was trying to make a statement.  

Edited by US31
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, US31 said:

Correct.  Concord HS is technically in a small town (?) called Dunlap.  But is basically the southeastern part of Elkhart.

Concord has historically been the “little brother” that typically beat up on his older brother/brothers of Elkhart (or Central & Memorial before the merger).  
 

Has always been a rivalry there…my guess is someone at Elkhart was trying to make a statement.  

Yes, Elkhart always refers to Concord as Dunlap as a diss lol

14 hours ago, ASJCPUMA said:

The new week nine games starting in 2022 will be Warsaw vs. Northridge, Concord vs. Plymouth, Goshen vs. NorthWood and Wawasee vs. Mishawaka.

Looks like only 1 of which has much potential at being competitive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, foxbat said:

Probably not accurate as Harrell's also has Carmel's schedule looking like the following with their games against Pike, NC, WC, and CG listed as MIC games.

image.png.eca1c5e58ee119f36ff741d8b7bc65cd.png

Yes, my understanding is that Elkhart needed to find a new week 2 opponent due to Carmel changing conferences and not being able to guarantee a week 2 game in 2023.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, DE said:

Can you elaborate on what Dunlap means?  It should read Concord, correct?

1 minute ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Yes, Elkhart always refers to Concord as Dunlap as a diss lol

Correct - what @NRRaider2001 said. It's much like Ohio State referring to Michigan as "That Team Up North" and Michigan referring to Ohio State as simply "Ohio". It's Elkhart's way of trying to build a rivalry with Concord as I do not believe either Central or Memorial had a very big "rivalry" with the Minutemen, but makes sense geographically and perhaps back in the day when Elkhart was previously 1 high school they did have a rivalry with Concord.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Warsaw moves Michigan City to the first game of the season and brings in 6A foe Chesterton to beef up their non-conference schedule. Then with the NLC schedule shakeup take on rival Plymouth at home before arguably the most difficult 3 game conference schedule any team will face at Concord, at NorthWood and home against Mishawaka.

image.png.e8f9cd64367d20b63bc0d9e078417641.png

The Chesterton series is a home and home before the Tigers add Warren Central to the week 2 slot for the 2024 and 2025 seasons 😳

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Warsaw moves Michigan City to the first game of the season and brings in 6A foe Chesterton to beef up their non-conference schedule. Then with the NLC schedule shakeup take on rival Plymouth at home before arguably the most difficult 3 game conference schedule any team will face at Concord, at NorthWood and home against Mishawaka.

image.png.e8f9cd64367d20b63bc0d9e078417641.png

The Chesterton series is a home and home before the Tigers add Warren Central to the week 2 slot for the 2024 and 2025 seasons 😳

Good to see some NLC contenders beefing up their non conference schedules.   Should pay off during tournament time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Correct - what @NRRaider2001 said. It's much like Ohio State referring to Michigan as "That Team Up North" and Michigan referring to Ohio State as simply "Ohio". It's Elkhart's way of trying to build a rivalry with Concord as I do not believe either Central or Memorial had a very big "rivalry" with the Minutemen, but makes sense geographically and perhaps back in the day when Elkhart was previously 1 high school they did have a rivalry with Concord.

 

Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Usually not too much news this time of year, but obviously wanted to call out in this thread (mentioned in it's own thread) that Coach Barron resigned at Plymouth. That leaves two programs with head coach openings along with Goshen. Will be interesting to see/hear of any candidates that throw their names into the hat for both places. Both programs have had signficant levels of success in the NLC at one time or the other, but each have their respective challenges this day in age.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

NLC Enrollment figured based on updated announcement from IHSAA

Rank School Enrollment Class 15-16 Rank Trend
30 Warsaw 2096 6A 25 -5
36 Goshen 2015 5A 41 5
52 Concord 1694 5A 57 5
56 Mishawaka 1603 5A 65 9
67 Northridge 1410 4A 75 8
92 Plymouth 1080 4A 94 2
109 Wawasee 948 4A 110 1
114 NorthWood 888 4A 123 9

Warsaw appears to be heading the way of Valparaiso, Chesterton and Merrillville on a descent into Class 5A. With both Whiteland and Harrison (West Lafayette) both growing signficantly over the last 5-7 years, Warsaw could very well see themselves in Class 5A by the next reclassification cycle. Especially if Cathedral accumulates enough points to stay in 6A.

Interesting to note the Elkhart County and St Joseph County schools (Goshen, Concord, Northridge, NorthWood and Mishawaka) with jumps UP in terms of size ranking when compared to the Kosciusko and Marshall County schools (Warsaw, Wawasee, and Plymouth).

For fun, I went back and found the 13-14 enrollment numbers. Interesting to see the trends for each school from almost a decade ago.

Rank School Enrollment Class 13-14 Rank Trend 13-14 Enrollment Difference
30 Warsaw 2096 6A 25 -5 2138 -42
36 Goshen 2015 5A 48 12 1811 204
52 Concord 1694 5A 68 16 1523 171
56 Mishawaka 1603 5A 65 9 1514 89
67 Northridge 1410 4A 80 13 1291 119
92 Plymouth 1080 4A 104 12 1112 -32
109 Wawasee 948 4A 110 1 933 15
114 NorthWood 888 4A 122 8 853 35
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some news for this otherwise slow time of year for football. 

Northridge will have a scrimmage with Laporte now that Elkhart replaced South Bend St. Joe as their (Northridge) week 2 opponent. 

Also for 23/24 seasons Northridge will now play Ft Wayne North, replacing South Bend Adams in week 1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 8:21 PM, NRRaider2001 said:

Congrats to Tagg and the others that made the cover for Primetime 25.

FB_IMG_1649031601032.jpg

FB_IMG_1649014325717.jpg

Please note Mishawaka's  #64  Dawson Nowacki in this picture as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Football Guru 25 said:

WOW!!  It is April isnt it??!!  LOL

Is it late in the year to hire a coach? Yes. Are they taking to long to allow people to apply? No...

They need time for coaches to apply and organize schedules for the interview committee. Most schools can't hire a coach in less than 4 weeks unless there is a named successor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Added this in another thread, but for the NLCers

Andrew Mevis (K): Undrafted Free Agent: Jacksonville Jaguars via Iowa State and Fordham and Warsaw Community High School

Mevis finished his only season in Ames (as a graduate transfer from Fordham) 20-of-23 on field goals, including 2-for-2 on kicks of 50+ yards, and was perfect on PATs. Mevis was arguably the best kicker in the entire draft, and will presumably have a shot at taking the starting job since the Jaguars released longtime kicker Josh Lambo midway through the 2021 season.

His younger brother Harrison is the kicker at Missouri and will likely be a front-runner for the Groza award this season.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...