Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

Top 16 DAC Recruits of the 247 Composite Star Era


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Was that the ECC team that featured Donta Smith? I believe he had committed to Tennessee, but somehow ended up at Ball State. Heck of an athlete and an outstanding linebacker.

Donta smith was 2001

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DACNUT said:

 

Their 1991 team was better, they were upset by East Chicago Central, which also had a great team that year. Central was upset by Crown Point the following week on a crappy field. Both teams were full of All-State Players that year. The 5A All-State team was littered with DAC players. 

Great off-season topic.

ECC beat every opponent by multiple scores before bowing out to Crown Point. Sloppy fields play a factor unfortunately. 

One could argue that there were multiple teams better than Merrillville that year? ECC, Penn, Ben Davis?

Edited by BTF
Additional wording
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, temptation said:

Or is it?  Sometimes guys just peak later or get into a perfect fit at the next level.

 

Absolutely true, and fit is important for just about every prospect. He was certainly helped by Willingham's departure.

But this evaluation--if it's not way off--is a miss in my book. If he's an Indy product he's easily a 4 Star. He was probably already 6'3'' or 6'4'' in high school, had good not great wheels, but he made up for it by being pretty shifty, especially for his height. He played every down. He wasn't James Banks, but he was an extremely talented high school player in this state back then.

He was also hilarious on the field, but I know that's not taken into account.

  • Disdain 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PDB26 said:

Absolutely true, and fit is important for just about every prospect. He was certainly helped by Willingham's departure.

But this evaluation--if it's not way off--is a miss in my book. If he's an Indy product he's easily a 4 Star. He was probably already 6'3'' or 6'4'' in high school, had good not great wheels, but he made up for it by being pretty shifty, especially for his height. He played every down. He wasn't James Banks, but he was an extremely talented high school player in this state back then.

He was also hilarious on the field, but I know that's not taken into account.

Maybe it was his zero catches in his final game of his career against a 5'7" defensive back that derailed his score :).

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, PDB26 said:

Absolutely true, and fit is important for just about every prospect. He was certainly helped by Willingham's departure.

But this evaluation--if it's not way off--is a miss in my book. If he's an Indy product he's easily a 4 Star. He was probably already 6'3'' or 6'4'' in high school, had good not great wheels, but he made up for it by being pretty shifty, especially for his height. He played every down. He wasn't James Banks, but he was an extremely talented high school player in this state back then.

He was also hilarious on the field, but I know that's not taken into account.

Gimme a break on the “Indy product” nonsense.  That is such a tiring and false narrative.

Hell, the top prospect in the state of Indiana in 2022 is from CHARLESTOWN…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

Gimme a break on the “Indy product” nonsense.  That is such a tiring and false narrative.

Hell, the top prospect in the state of Indiana in 2022 is from CHARLESTOWN…

To be fair, there's a world of difference between high school scouting in 2002 and 2022. Also, I'm not speaking with the conspiratorial, anti-Indy bias that most northerners seem to adopt. Not that it really matters, but I think it would have made a difference where he played.

12 minutes ago, BTF said:

Maybe it was his zero catches in his final game of his career against a 5'7" defensive back that derailed his score :).

I think we held him to three catches across two games his senior year. Now, we basically doubled him in many scenarios and completely took away the quicks that they liked to get him on so he could work in space. Must have been a lot of pressure on the QB to get away with going 1 on 1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, PDB26 said:

To be fair, there's a world of difference between high school scouting in 2002 and 2022. Also, I'm not speaking with the conspiratorial, anti-Indy bias that most northerners seem to adopt. Not that it really matters, but I think it would have made a difference where he played.

I think we held him to three catches across two games his senior year. Now, we basically doubled him in many scenarios and completely took away the quicks that they liked to get him on so he could work in space. Must have been a lot of pressure on the QB to get away with going 1 on 1.

2003 - the top 5 recruits according to 247 sports were from outside of Indy

2005 - three of the top 5 (including #1) from outside of Indy

2006 - top 3 recruits from outside of Indy

I could keep going but has scouting really come “that far” since 2002?

Did scouts use to not visit non-metropolitan areas?

Just stop it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Or is it?  Sometimes guys just peak later or get into a perfect fit at the next level.

 

Best HS football player I have ever seen in person and that speaks volumes of just how dominant James Banks was. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PDB26 said:

Absolutely true, and fit is important for just about every prospect. He was certainly helped by Willingham's departure.

But this evaluation--if it's not way off--is a miss in my book. If he's an Indy product he's easily a 4 Star. He was probably already 6'3'' or 6'4'' in high school, had good not great wheels, but he made up for it by being pretty shifty, especially for his height. He played every down. He wasn't James Banks, but he was an extremely talented high school player in this state back then.

He was also hilarious on the field, but I know that's not taken into account.

Never saw him caught from behind. He was SMOOTH!

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Gimme a break on the “Indy product” nonsense.  That is such a tiring and false narrative.

Hell, the top prospect in the state of Indiana in 2022 is from CHARLESTOWN…

You ever see that dude?  Holy moly. He runs like a TE. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PDB26 said:

To be fair, there's a world of difference between high school scouting in 2002 and 2022. Also, I'm not speaking with the conspiratorial, anti-Indy bias that most northerners seem to adopt. Not that it really matters, but I think it would have made a difference where he played.

I think we held him to three catches across two games his senior year. Now, we basically doubled him in many scenarios and completely took away the quicks that they liked to get him on so he could work in space. Must have been a lot of pressure on the QB to get away with going 1 on 1.

Oh. There was. Renn and his blockers had a TOUGH game against BD. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Bobref said:

Was that the ECC team that featured Donta Smith? I believe he had committed to Tennessee, but somehow ended up at Ball State. Heck of an athlete and an outstanding linebacker.

Royce Love at LB/FB and Martell France who was one of the top RB's that year. Underclassmen included Royce Roberson and Eric Glenn. Someone already mentioned Tom Lewandowski who was also First Team 5A that year. 

The 91 Merrillville team was more talented than the 92 team and no, they would not have beat Ben Davis that year. 

Edited by DACNUT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/5/2022 at 10:00 PM, DE said:

RB was Jamel Williams. Went onto Nebraska and was an important member of their Blackshirt Defense. He played SS/FS. 

I believe won a National Title with those Tommy Frazier lead Husker teams. 
 

Williams is likely most remembered for being in the first XFL “coin flip”. Actually was a fumble recovery drill. 

I remember Williams sacking the Florida QB (Weurfel??) for a Safety in that Nebraska blowout of Florida in the 1996 Fiesta Bowl. Don't forget, Lake Central's own Jared Tomich was also a starteron that Blackshirt Defense. He was a monster on the DL. That '92 Merrillville team had a toughness about them that carried over to the basketball court with an Eiite 8 loss to Carmel in the West Lafayette Semi-State Championship. Guys like Williams, Zac Wells, Josoforsky (sp?), were bad dudes that played football and basketball. Looking at their Tournament History, Snider ended up beating Ben Davis 24-21 for State after they beat Merrillville 14-7. Who was Snider's RB that year? I believe he played college ball at...IU???

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/5/2022 at 9:57 PM, DE said:

Thank you. I remember watching Merrillville play at Demeree Stadium in the early 90’s. I know I saw them play the Royce Roberson (went into Wisconsin as a RB IMSC) lead East Chicago Central. 
 

Did Snider ever visit Merrillville in the early 90’s for SS?  Maybe I just have the year wrong. 

Snider went to Porage in '94. Could be thinking of that. Other than Hobart, that was the largest crowd I've ever seen a visitor bring into The Warpath. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I remember Williams sacking the Florida QB (Weurfel??) for a Safety in that Nebraska blowout of Florida in the 1996 Fiesta Bowl. Don't forget, Lake Central's own Jared Tomich was also a starteron that Blackshirt Defense. He was a monster on the DL. That '92 Merrillville team had a toughness about them that carried over to the basketball court with an Eiite 8 loss to Carmel in the West Lafayette Semi-State Championship. Guys like Williams, Zac Wells, Josoforsky (sp?), were bad dudes that played football and basketball. Looking at their Tournament History, Snider ended up beating Ben Davis 24-21 for State after they beat Merrillville 14-7. Who was Snider's RB that year? I believe he played college ball at...IU???

 

Correct.  Joseforsky was the QB.  Went to Navy I believe.  Wells also played baseball.

 

43 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Snider went to Porage in '94. Could be thinking of that. Other than Hobart, that was the largest crowd I've ever seen a visitor bring into The Warpath. 

Nope.  Not that game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 10:10 AM, Boilernation said:

Snider went to Porage in '94. Could be thinking of that. Other than Hobart, that was the largest crowd I've ever seen a visitor bring into The Warpath. 

I went to the Snider & Portage game, that loss was a tough one to stomach. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...