Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hail To The Washington Football Team

Muda69

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/hail-to-the-washington-football-team/

The one thing I regret about ditching our TV is not being able to watch football. Here in New England, it’s easy to bluff your way through sports talk. Just saying something like, “We owe Belichick more than one season with a new quahtahback before we kick him to the curb.” But it’s been more than a year since I’ve actually seen a game. I miss it. And I’m completely out of the loop.

So when I started seeing references to the “Washington Football Team” I assumed it was a politically correct euphemism, like when newspapers refer to an Arab terrorist as a “Swedish man” in their headlines. I figured the sports reporters just couldn’t bring themselves to type the word Redskins. But no. The Washington, D.C., football team is actually called “Washington Football Team.” They dropped the Redskins moniker in 2020 during the George Floyd protests and will officially adopt a new name in 2022. 

I’m sure most of you knew this, but it’s news to me. A reckless Minnesota cop killed a drug addict while trying to restrain him; therefore, Washington, D.C.’s football team has to change its name without choosing a replacement first.

I didn’t really believe it until I went on the “Washington Football Team” pro shop. There, one can buy $120 jerseys with Terry McLaurin’s name on them. It’s the same Redskins color scheme, but instead of a team name, it just says Washington. For the special lady in your life, you can even get a $280 handbag emblazoned with the “Washington Football Team” logo: the letter W in a stylish sans serif.

Now, local Redskins fans overwhelmingly oppose the change. Many surveys show that only about 10 percent of Native Americans find the name offensive. Bear in mind that, these days, you can always find 10 percent of any group to find anything offensive. (“Creamed corn?” Senator Warren cried. “You mean maize that flows like muddy river.”)

Let me ask you something. Do you folks realize how lucky we are to be living in times such as these? If Swift, Twain, and Bierce all put their heads together, they couldn’t imagine a world as ridiculous as this one. Modernity is just one huge sendup of itself. We’re all starring in a spoof of our own lives.

With that in mind, I’d like to make this suggestion to our friends on the left. For six years now, the red MAGA hat has served as the de facto uniform of the Republican base. Democrats have nothing like it—no symbol that makes them stand out in the crowd. Well, I suggest that progressives adopt the yellow snapback of the “Washington Football Team.” (It’s a steal at just $40.) 

Think about it. No other symbol could so perfectly encapsulate the modern progressive movement:

1. The Redskins were canceled for being offensive…even though nobody was actually offended. That’s the beauty of newspeak. You can describe a deliberate car crash as if nobody was driving. You can refer to a protest as an “insurrection” even though nobody was trying to overthrow the government. Words mean whatever you want them to mean.
  2. The team’s management was so desperate to please the New York Times editorial board—massive sports fans, every last one of them—that they didn’t even wait to pick a new name or design a new logo. They just slapped on this stupid, ugly placeholder. And that’s what modern culture is: a stupid, ugly placeholder. We don’t create anything true or good or beautiful. We don’t make things of any lasting worth. We just sponge off our ancestors’ cultural capital until we go broke. We toy with the relics of our dead civilization until we break them, like children playing catch with a Fabergé egg. “Washington Football Team” is to sports what “Fabulous Godmother” is to literature.
  3. As with all the progressives’ experiments in social engineering, nobody actually wants it. Nobody’s even sure where it came from. Who was the first to decide that the name Redskins was “offensive,” given that nobody was actually offended by it? Who’s the leader of this movement—the Susan B. Anthony, the Mahatma Gandhi, the Martin Luther King? Who has dedicated their life to righting this grave injustice? Well, that’s not how today’s progressives work. New P.C. orthodoxies seep out of Ivy League classrooms, they congeal in California H.R. departments and New York fundraisers, and then they’re disseminated by organs of the regime like the Atlantic and CNN. It’s less of a movement than a leaky septic tank. And that’s how we got the Washington Football Team.
  4. Most importantly: it’s a money maker. Redskins fans may resent the name-change. They may spend the next ten years griping about how the P.C. Police stole their team. But when the Washington Football Team gets a new quarterback, are they going to deprive themselves of a new jersey ($150)? When they get a new phone, are they going to forego a new case ($60)? When their brother Jeff gets sloshed at the 4th of July cookout and breaks their old Redskins cornhole set, will they be able to resist shelling out for a couple of new boards ($200)? Of course not. We’re Americans. We live for this cheap, mass-produced, brand-name garbage. And much as progressives like to bash the free market, they know how to make it work for then. The Washington Football Team is a textbook example of woke capitalism at work. 

So go ahead and get your WFT hats today, kiddos. Get us $25.99 closer to our brave, new world. Yes, it’s soulless, gutless, bloodless, and totally worthless. But it’s not offensive! And, really, what more can you ask for?

I always refer to the NFL franchise based in Washington D.C. as the Redskins, even today.  It's what they will always be.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Muda69 said:

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/hail-to-the-washington-football-team/

I always refer to the NFL franchise based in Washington D.C. as the Redskins, even today.  It's what they will always be.

Yep. Same with me. Same as the Indians. Even after the Sonics moved to OKC, I still refer to them as the Sonics. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DE said:

Yep. Same with me. Same as the Indians. Even after the Sonics moved to OKC, I still refer to them as the Sonics. 

Glad to see the Cleveland Guardians (formerly Indians) worked through their lawsuit from claiming a name already in use by a Cleveland group.

Nice job doing your homework fellas......

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32643793/cleveland-guardians-settle-lawsuit-local-roller-derby-team-rights-name

Guardians.....LOL

The WFT will announce their new name at a press conference Feb. 2. Until then, the name is aclosely guarded secret. But I’m guessing the choice of Feb. 2 as a launch date is not acoincidence. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Washington Groundhogs. It plays right into the old Redskins’ “Hogs” legacy!

image.jpeg

Unless otherwise noted, all opinions on officiating topics represent solely the opinion of the author. The IHSAA is the only authority for official interpretations of the National Federation football rules and officiating mechanics.

9 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The WFT will announce their new name at a press conference Feb. 2. Until then, the name is aclosely guarded secret. But I’m guessing the choice of Feb. 2 as a launch date is not acoincidence. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Washington Groundhogs. It plays right into the old Redskins’ “Hogs” legacy!

image.jpeg

Unless otherwise noted, all opinions on officiating topics represent solely the opinion of the author. The IHSAA is the only authority for official interpretations of the National Federation football rules and officiating mechanics.

Looks like an angry beaver listening to headphones.

image.jpeg.dc255e069f85a97b3347a28794b72791.jpeg

😂

• Haha 1

Another possibility? https://www.foxnews.com/sports/washington-football-team-leak

Is the Washington Football Team about to become the Washington Admirals? The sleuths are on the hunt and one of those sleuths, JP Finlay from NBC Washington and 106.7 The Fan, thinks he’s busted the case wide open by typing in WashingtonAdmirals.com and finding out that it redirected to WashingtonFootball.com.

WashingtonAdmirals.com now redirects to a site raising money for food service workers.=

For those keeping track at home, WashingtonFootball.com is the current homepage for the former Redskins franchise that was converted into the Washington Football Team.

"This could just be somebody with a redirect URL. Gonna be a fun month of speculation," Finlay tweeted this week.

Dan Snyder’s big name reveal is supposed to happen on February 2. Tuesday, the franchise announced that two possible names have been cut from consideration.

"Early on we understood Wolves — or some variation of it — was one of our fan favorites," team president Jason Wright said in a statement on the team site. "As I’ve said all along, we take feedback from our fans seriously, and because of your interest in this name, we put Wolves on a list of options to explore fully. Once we began looking into Wolves, however, we became aware of a notable challenge: trademarks held by other teams would limit our ability to make the name our own. And without Wolves, variations like RedWolves wouldn’t have been viable either for these and other reasons.

"Understanding the weight and importance of our team name, and excitement around other name options — both internally and within our fan base — we didn’t want to risk going down a route that could be dotted with legal hurdles. The prospect of years of litigation wasn’t something that we wanted you, our fans, to have to bear as you begin to embrace a new brand."

So you can delete Wolves or Red Wolves from the list of possible names. In September, Washington CEO Tanya Snyder revealed on Adam Schefter’s podcast that there were eight possible names in the running. With Tuesday’s announcement, that would leave six standing, if the team was being upfront about the names in the running.

Those names left include Armada, Presidents, Brigade, Defenders, Redhogs, and Commanders.

5 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Maybe just join the Nationals and use their name....make it simple for the DC faithful.  Has to be better than the Wizards.

Wasn't it the Nationals that always got pummeled by the Harlem Globetrotters?

Think it was the Generals. 

9 hours ago, DE said:

Think it was the Generals. 

I think you are right....I like it....

Could dive back into their USFL days and pull out that nickname!!  Federals!!

Have to celebrate former Indiana State football star Eric Robinson....played for the Federals, making the USFL All Star Team

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1983/07/28/federals-robinson-makes-all-star-team/36f952b0-27ea-47f7-9fa2-e1b05ffe125b/

image.png.01c9bcf2c3e3e0c4b6950f68b2525eb5.pngimage.png.de389e79d4f454bc397714a8a04ff144.png

• 4 weeks later...