Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Jim Harbaugh and the Chicago Bears are a Natural Fit

41 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

And I believe that's the only way the children see the full extent of their wealth. I don't think they've amassed an enormous amount of wealth in a different business entity. I hope they sell, but I fear they care more about their Royalty status of being direct descandants of George Halas than they do about winning. I would love to know what people like the Rooney's, Mara's, and Jerry Jones of the NFL think about the McCaskey family. I assume pity.

Well..........

The Mara's are not in any better shape than the McCaskey's, likely much worse in recent history.  😂

Over the last 5 years, there are no others teams with as bad of record as the Giants.  The Jets are tied with them.

12 hours ago, DE said:

Well..........

The Mara's are not in any better shape than the McCaskey's, likely much worse in recent history.  😂

Over the last 5 years, there are no others teams with as bad of record as the Giants.  The Jets are tied with them.

Ha...good point! So, it's time for the patriarchs of the NFL to sell? I did hear recently that one of the Billionaires that contributed to Mel Tucker's extension has made it known he would like to buy the Lions from the Ford family and they obviously won't sell. I guess it could be worse than being a Bears fan.

Edited by Boilernation
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Ha...good point! So, it's time for the patriarchs of the NFL to sell? I did hear recently that one of the Billionaires that contributed to Mel Tucker's extension has made it known he would like to buy the Lions from the Ford family and they obviously won't sell. I guess it could be worse than being a Bears fan.

There’s a big difference between the Fords owning the Lions as a sort of hobby, since they made their money doing something else, and the McCaskeys, whose only wealth is the Bears.

4 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Well....the Giants do have 4 Superbowl Championships compared to the Bears 1

On 1/9/2022 at 7:31 PM, Footballking16 said:

Harbaugh is a good fit for any NFL team. He’s a very good X’s and O’s coach. He struggles with recruiting and player development which aren’t at the top of the ladder or concerns for an NFL head coach. Surprised Harbaugh hasn’t gotten an extension after taking a huge pay cut only to finally lead Michigan to the playoffs, must mean the NFL talks are serious.

“Harbaugh isn’t great at player development.”

006523BB-4D5B-4451-85C1-2BE99C4E692D.jpeg

Edited by temptation

27 minutes ago, temptation said:

“Harbaugh isn’t great at player development.”

006523BB-4D5B-4451-85C1-2BE99C4E692D.jpeg

Not sure using Tom Brady who played simultaneously with Jim Harbaugh in the NFL proves your point. I see Michigan players from Carr, Rich Rod, and Hoke all represented on that graph. So what?

Harbaugh isn’t a great developer of talent nor a great recruiter. You can agree or disagree with that notion all you want. It doesn’t bother me.

My vote right now would go to Brian Daboll. Won a string of Super Bowls as a TE coach in New England, A College title as an OC at Alabama, and he's developed Josh Allen in Buffalo. In my opinion, the Bears need to go the offensive route and bring in a coach who knows what a winning culture looks like and can develop a QB. I don't want to trust the development of Fields to a Defensive minded Head Coach like Bowles, Flores, etc. Worst case scenario and it's a disaster with Fields having to learn a 3rd offense in a short amount of time. Best case scenario a quality OC is hired who then bolts in 2-3 yeras for a HC job. I much rather bring in an offensive minded HC to partner with Fields for his career.

20 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Not sure using Tom Brady who played simultaneously with Jim Harbaugh in the NFL proves your point. I see Michigan players from Carr, Rich Rod, and Hoke all represented on that graph. So what?

Harbaugh isn’t a great developer of talent nor a great recruiter. You can agree or disagree with that notion all you want. It doesn’t bother me.

I’ll just continue to keep/post receipts while you grasp at straws.

Here’s another nugget for you…in the six full recruiting cycles since being hired, Harbaugh’s classes at Michigan have averaged 11th nationally and 2nd in the Big Ten.

Next…

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

I’ll just continue to keep/post receipts while you grasp at straws.

Here’s another nugget for you…in the six full recruiting cycles since being hired, Harbaugh’s classes at Michigan have averaged 11th nationally and 2nd in the Big Ten.

Next…

Explain his record against the top half of the B10 East the last 6 years? All that talent  and no results until this year. Something isn’t adding up.

5 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Explain his record against the top half of the B10 East the last 6 years? All that talent  and no results until this year. Something isn’t adding up.

Lost me at “until this year.”  Playoff appearances and power 5 conference titles are damn hard to come by.

Take a look at Dabo, Saban and now Kirby?  How long did it take them to reach elite status and breakthrough?

Hell, I’ll be more specific…look up how many years to took Dabo to beat his main rival SOUTH CAROLINA?

Just stop.  You are embarrassing yourself.

Edited by temptation

7 minutes ago, temptation said:

Lost me at “until this year.”  Playoff appearances and power 5 conference titles are damn hard to come by.

Take a look at Dabo, Saban and now Kirby?  How long did it take them to reach elite status and breakthrough?

Hell, I’ll be more specific…look up how many years to took Dabo to beat his main rival SOUTH CAROLINA?

Just stop.  You are embarrassing yourself.

Harbaugh took almost a $30mil pay cut to stay employed at his Alma Mater because he wasn’t getting it done on the field. When a Harbaugh coached team gives up another 60 at the Shoe to OSU the same concerns will once again be voiced. He had a great year this year no doubt, he hasn’t delivered the results of a team who supposedly has the 2nd most talent in the B10.

Edited by Footballking16

12 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Harbaugh took almost a $30mil pay cut to stay employed at his Alma Mater because he wasn’t getting it done on the field. When a Harbaugh coached team gives up another 60 at the Shoe to OSU the same concerns will once again be voiced. He had a great year this year no doubt, he hasn’t delivered the results of a team who supposedly has the 2nd most talent in the B10.

Opinion.  The gap from OSU to the rest of the conference has been enormous.

You predicting OSU to drop 60 on Michigan again?

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Opinion.  The gap from OSU to the rest of the conference has been enormous.

You predicting OSU to drop 60 on Michigan again?

Does it really matter after the first 6 TD’s? Michigan hasn’t really been competitive with Ohio State since Harbaugh was hired.

That’s semi-excusable. Losing to MSU more times than not isn’t however, especially considering the supposed talent gap UM has over Sparty. 

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Does it really matter after the first 6 TD’s? Michigan hasn’t really been competitive with Ohio State since Harbaugh was hired.

That’s semi-excusable. Losing to MSU more times than not isn’t however, especially considering the supposed talent gap UM has over Sparty. 

Man, I really feel like this conversation. is taking place in a time warp.  You sure about that 2nd sentence?

Imagine attempting to throw shade at a team that just finished #3 in the country.

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Imagine attempting to throw shade at a team that just finished #3 in the country.

It’s the curse of many of the teams that get beat in the semi final. ND always gets shade thrown at them when they are in the same spot. Cincy is feeling it as well this year. 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

It’s the curse of many of the teams that get beat in the semi final. ND always gets shade thrown at them when they are in the same spot. Cincy is feeling it as well this year. 

I guess I get that but this guy loves to argue and seems to have an axe to grind with Harbaugh.

He’s easily a top 10 coach in the country and I’ll even stick my neck out farther and call him top five based on the lack of a level playing field in the sport and some of the academic hurdles UM has to overcome in their admissions department.  Are they Harvard?  No.  Not even Notre Dame.  But the stories are out there a plenty.

There is no better suited human being to coach at the University of Michigan and as we mentioned above, the guy has won at all levels and is one of a few to do so.

He is polarizing and the talking heads love to give him hell.  Obviously he’s been a part of some tough losses and apparently @Footballking16 isn’t impressed and thinks 2021 was a one off.

Edited by temptation

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I guess I get that but this guy loves to argue and seems to have an axe to grind with Harbaugh.

He’s easily a top 10 coach in the country and I’ll even stick my neck out farther and call him top five based on the lack of a level playing field in the sport and some of the academic hurdles UM has to overcome in their admissions department.  Are they Harvard?  No.  Not even Notre Dame.  But the stories are out there a plenty.

There is no better suited human being to coach at the University of Michigan and as we mentioned above, the guy has won at all levels and is one of a few to do so.

He is polarizing and the talking heads love to give him hell.  Obviously he’s been a part of some tough losses and apparently @Footballking16 isn’t impressed and thinks 2021 was a one off.

How is 2021 not a one off throughout Harbaugh's tenure at UM? They're finally the 4th team to win the B10 East since hiring Harbaugh, congratulations. If suggesting Harbaugh is better suited for the NFL where he doesn't have to recruit and fully develop players is considered "throwing shade", then so the hell be it. There's nothing wrong or incorrect about that. Harbaugh has been a much better NFL coach than he has a college at this point in his career. 

34 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

How is 2021 not a one off throughout Harbaugh's tenure at UM? They're finally the 4th team to win the B10 East since hiring Harbaugh, congratulations. If suggesting Harbaugh is better suited for the NFL where he doesn't have to recruit and fully develop players is considered "throwing shade", then so the hell be it. There's nothing wrong or incorrect about that. Harbaugh has been a much better NFL coach than he has a college at this point in his career. 

In the NFL, the playing field is about as close to even as you are going to see.  While I mentioned that Michigan is not Harvard, it is much closer to Harvard than it is Clemson, Alabama or Ohio State at least as far as the admissions department is concerned.  There are significant advantages to coaching at Michigan, no doubt but also some barriers...which also can be said about coaching at ND and is one of the reasons Kelly bolted to LSU.

Its not a coincidence that Harbaugh has now won at Michigan and STANFORD (by the way how has Stanford fared since his departure?).

If you were a collegiate AD and had a coaching opening, how many guys are you choosing to interview BEFORE Harbaugh?

6 minutes ago, temptation said:

In the NFL, the playing field is about as close to even as you are going to see.  While I mentioned that Michigan is not Harvard, it is much closer to Harvard than it is Clemson, Alabama or Ohio State at least as far as the admissions department is concerned.  There are significant advantages to coaching at Michigan, no doubt but also some barriers...which also can be said about coaching at ND and is one of the reasons Kelly bolted to LSU.

Its not a coincidence that Harbaugh has now won at Michigan and STANFORD (by the way how has Stanford fared since his departure?).

If you were a collegiate AD and had a coaching opening, how many guys are you choosing to interview BEFORE Harbaugh?

How has Stanford fared since his departure? I don't know, won at least 9+ games in 7 out of the 11 seasons David Shaw has been there including 2 Rose Bowls. 

And you're making my point about Harbaugh and the NFL. Due to the fact that you don't have to recruit and place a huge emphasis on player development in the NFL like you do in the NFL (where Harbaugh struggles), ability to coach X's and O's is what makes and NFL head coach. It's why coaches like Meyer, Saban, and Chip Kelly have all been massive flops at that level, that out-recruit their weekly NFL opponents like they can in college ball. Harbaugh is one of the top X's and O's guys in the business. He beats Saban, Dabo, Meyer, etc on an even playing field which he'll never do at Michigan.

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

How has Stanford fared since his departure? I don't know, won at least 9+ games in 7 out of the 11 seasons David Shaw has been there including 2 Rose Bowls. 

And you're making my point about Harbaugh and the NFL. Due to the fact that you don't have to recruit and place a huge emphasis on player development in the NFL like you do in the NFL (where Harbaugh struggles), ability to coach X's and O's is what makes and NFL head coach. It's why coaches like Meyer, Saban, and Chip Kelly have all been massive flops at that level, that out-recruit their weekly NFL opponents like they can in college ball. Harbaugh is one of the top X's and O's guys in the business. He beats Saban, Dabo, Meyer, etc on an even playing field which he'll never do at Michigan.

10 combined wins in the last three seasons.  The Harbaugh magic wore off after Shaw won initially with his players.  Shaw is the most overpaid coach in America.

Answer my last question.  If you were a collegiate AD, who are you interviewing before you give Jim Harbaugh a call?

12 minutes ago, temptation said:

10 combined wins in the last three seasons.  The Harbaugh magic wore off after Shaw won initially with his players.  Shaw is the most overpaid coach in America.

Answer my last question.  If you were a collegiate AD, who are you interviewing before you give Jim Harbaugh a call?

He won 10, 9, 9 games from 16-18. Harbaugh last coached at Stanford in 2010 so don't give me any bull about Stanford being a one hit wonder under Harbaugh. Stanford had a string of some bad luck injuries and some recruiting classes that didn't pan out but have has put together 3 top 25 classes in the last 4 years. They will be fine. 

Jim Harbaugh isn't even in top 10 of coaches I'd interview if I had the pick of the litter. Outside the obvious of Saban, Dabo, Day, Smart, and Reilly I'd interview Brian Kelly, Kyle Whittingham. Pat Fitzgerald, Luke Fickell, Matt Campbell, and Mark Stoops well before I make the call to Jim Harbaugh. 

Now if I were an NFL GM, I'd cut my list to Brian Kelly and Jim Harbaugh. 

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears-interview-browns-kwesi-adofo-mensah-champ-kelly-for-gm-position

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears-interview-glenn-cook-browns-gm-doug-pederson-coach

The Bears on Wednesday interviewed Glenn Cook for their general manager position and Doug Pederson for their head-coaching job.

Cook has spent the past six seasons with the Browns as assistant director of pro scouting (2016-19) and vice president of player personnel (2020-present). In his current role, he works closely with executive vice president of football operations and general manager Andrew Berry.

Prior to joining the Browns, Cook served as a scouting assistant with the Colts (2011-12) and a pro scout with the Packers (2012-15).

Before transitioning into player personnel, Cook was a graduate assistant coach at the University of Miami, his alma mater, helping with linebackers and defensive linemen and aiding in recruiting efforts.

As a player, Cook was a four-year letter-winning linebacker from 2004-08 at Miami, where he registered 185 tackles, two sacks and two forced fumbles while appearing in 47 games with 17 starts. 

After college, Cook was selected by the Cubs in the 46th round of the 2009 Major League Baseball draft and played in 34 rookie-league games for the club.  

Pederson, meanwhile, has 25 years of NFL experience, 13 as a quarterback and 12 as a coach. He most recently spent five seasons as Eagles head coach from 2016-20, compiling a record of 42-37-1 in the regular season and 4-2 in the playoffs and leading the franchise to its first Super Bowl championship in 2017.  

Cook and Pederson are the first candidates that have been interviewed by the Bears' search team, which consists of Chairman George H. McCaskey, President/CEO Ted Phillips, NFL Hall of Fame executive Bill Polian, Bears vice president of player engagement LaMar "Soup" Campbell and Bears senior vice president of diversity, equity and inclusion Tanesha Wade.

23 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

He won 10, 9, 9 games from 16-18. Harbaugh last coached at Stanford in 2010 so don't give me any bull about Stanford being a one hit wonder under Harbaugh. Stanford had a string of some bad luck injuries and some recruiting classes that didn't pan out but have has put together 3 top 25 classes in the last 4 years. They will be fine. 

Jim Harbaugh isn't even in top 10 of coaches I'd interview if I had the pick of the litter. Outside the obvious of Saban, Dabo, Day, Smart, and Reilly I'd interview Brian Kelly, Kyle Whittingham. Pat Fitzgerald, Luke Fickell, Matt Campbell, and Mark Stoops well before I make the call to Jim Harbaugh. 

Now if I were an NFL GM, I'd cut my list to Brian Kelly and Jim Harbaugh. 

LOL at your list after previously citing Dabo, Saban and Meyer playing on unlevel playing fields.  Put those guys in Ann Arbor or South Bend and lets see how they do.

Hell, Saban was slightly above average at MICHIGAN STATE!

Where did Jim Harbaugh do you wrong in life?  I am dying to know.  I am here to listen.

26 minutes ago, temptation said:

LOL at your list after previously citing Dabo, Saban and Meyer playing on unlevel playing fields.  Put those guys in Ann Arbor or South Bend and lets see how they do.

Hell, Saban was slightly above average at MICHIGAN STATE!

Where did Jim Harbaugh do you wrong in life?  I am dying to know.  I am here to listen.

Meyer has won 10+ games at 4 different programs. Dabo has built Clemson into a top 5 football program in less than a decade at Clemson of all place. I shutter to think what he'd do at university that has the luxuries Michigan enjoys. Saban is the best college football coach of all time and it's not even close.

You're misinterpreting my opinion of Jim Harbaugh. He's a good college coach. He's a better fit in the NFL. Nothing more, nothing less. 

26 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Meyer has won 10+ games at 4 different programs. Dabo has built Clemson into a top 5 football program in less than a decade at Clemson of all place. I shutter to think what he'd do at university that has the luxuries Michigan enjoys. Saban is the best college football coach of all time and it's not even close.

You're misinterpreting my opinion of Jim Harbaugh. He's a good college coach. He's a better fit in the NFL. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Dabo wouldn't last 3 years at Michigan or Notre Dame and is about to fall on hard times now that his coordinators are gone.  Mark my words.  Clemson is dirty as hell and their admissions department is laughable.  

Meyer is a known/proven liar/cheater and controversy has followed him everywhere he has gone.  Spare me his win loss record.

Saban is the GOAT, no doubt.  But why was he slightly above average at Toledo and MSU and then a god at LSU and Bama?  Makes you wonder.

Matt Campbell and Mark Stoops made me spit my drink out.  Harbaugh is a GREAT college coach and football coach in general, regardless of the level.

Edited by temptation