Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

Jim Harbaugh and the Chicago Bears are a Natural Fit


HHF
 Share

Recommended Posts

As much as I like Ryan Day to take over the Bears, I think Harbaugh is the better choice.  

 

He has the experience and the old school attachment to the organization.  Bear fans will love him .

 

Lets hope this lays out and Harbaugh is named next week to take over the team.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do have a bit of an inside scoop as to why Jim is entertaining this option this time around…he has even been transparent with potential recruits in saying so.

Look, I am not going to sit here and pretend Michigan is an Ivy League school or even Notre Dame for that matter.  But the lack of willingness in the admissions department to give UM a longer leash when it comes to potential transfer portal athletes/high school recruits is frustrating Harbaugh.  
 

Also, Michigan has not kept up with the SEC/other powers in the early days of NIL.  Many programs are flourishing with these new rules but Michigan is not one of them.  Despite having one of (if not the) the largest alumni bases in the world, the main theme is that “boosters” would be willing to pony up, but most of them are asking for more access to the program in exchange…which is a slippery slope and one UM is approaching carefully.

Though it would suck, I would not blame Jim one bit if he takes the NFL up on their offers this time.  I think the Georgia loss was pretty sobering as it showed that UM is not even close to competing on that stage and they will continue to fall farther behind as time progresses for the reasons I mentioned above.  2021 may have been the ceiling for the program.

Combine that with the fact that Jim is now once again a “hot name” in coaching circles just 365 days after being coined a lame duck by many who was coaching for his job.

Though there are some rebuilding projects in the NFL, the playing field is much more even than the college landscape.

Pained me to type all of that as I have been a Michigan fanatic for over 30 years… 

Edited by temptation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Harbaugh is a good fit for any NFL team. He’s a very good X’s and O’s coach. He struggles with recruiting and player development which aren’t at the top of the ladder or concerns for an NFL head coach. Surprised Harbaugh hasn’t gotten an extension after taking a huge pay cut only to finally lead Michigan to the playoffs, must mean the NFL talks are serious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Harbaugh is a good fit for any NFL team. He’s a very good X’s and O’s coach. He struggles with recruiting and player development which aren’t at the top of the ladder or concerns for an NFL head coach. Surprised Harbaugh hasn’t gotten an extension after taking a huge pay cut only to finally lead Michigan to the playoffs, must mean the NFL talks are serious.

So many false narratives to unpack here.  Won’t waste my time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chicago...where QB's and Coaches go to die......at least over the past few decades

The NFL game has changed so much with its focus totally on the passing game since the Bears were last really successful....going to take an awful special QB to make it work off the lake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, temptation said:

So many false narratives to unpack here.  Won’t waste my time.

What's false? That he doesn't recruit particularly well or that he isn't a great developer of talent? For a supposed QB whisperer, he hasn't developed a QB while at Michigan and his recruiting is what it is. It's a reason why Harbaugh has beaten Ohio State exactly one time and has a losing record against Michigan State. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

What's false? That he doesn't recruit particularly well or that he isn't a great developer of talent? For a supposed QB whisperer, he hasn't developed a QB while at Michigan and his recruiting is what it is. It's a reason why Harbaugh has beaten Ohio State exactly one time and has a losing record against Michigan State. 

Once again.  Not wasting my time.  You can look up the facts.  You are just recycling the same lazy narratives as the national pundits (who said he’d never come to Michigan to begin with back in 2015).

Dig deeper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Once again.  Not wasting my time.  You can look up the facts.  You are just recycling the same lazy narratives as the national pundits (who said he’d never come to Michigan to begin with back in 2015).

Dig deeper.

Weak sauce man....if you're going to call out someone, ya gotta back it up.

Or...just refrain from posting if you don't want to put in the effort.....

Sideline warning for excessive laziness

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Once again.  Not wasting my time.  You can look up the facts.  You are just recycling the same lazy narratives as the national pundits (who said he’d never come to Michigan to begin with back in 2015).

Dig deeper.

Facts? Harbaugh's record is what it is. 

He's 61-24 since he's taken and over and while that's a solid record, it's not anywhere close to Michigan's expectations. And it looks worse the further you dig into it.

1-5 in bowl games and haven't won a bowl since 2015

1-6 against Ohio State

3-4 against Michigan State

He's yet to develop an NFL caliber QB since he's been at Michigan. I think he's a way better X's and O's coach than he is at program building and that's better suited for a career in the NFL. I'm not entirely sure Michigan can do better than Harbaugh, but I believe Harbaugh is set up for better success in the NFL.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Facts? Harbaugh's record is what it is. 

He's 61-24 since he's taken and over and while that's a solid record, it's not anywhere close to Michigan's expectations. And it looks worse the further you dig into it.

1-5 in bowl games and haven't won a bowl since 2015

1-6 against Ohio State

3-4 against Michigan State

He's yet to develop an NFL caliber QB since he's been at Michigan. I think he's a way better X's and O's coach than he is at program building and that's better suited for a career in the NFL. I'm not entirely sure Michigan can do better than Harbaugh, but I believe Harbaugh is set up for better success in the NFL.

 

1.  59-20...anyone counting 2020 is a fool.  That equates to roughly 9-3 every season which is where Michigan was/has been for its eternity.

2.  Bowl games, outside of the NY6 are largely overrated when it comes to assessing a coach or program for obvious reasons.

3.  The records against OSU and MSU are what they are and it is difficult to defend them though neither program is chopped liver and the argument could be made that both are at an all-time high point in their programs' history.  NO PROGRAM has more "rivals" in America than Michigan (Minnesota, OSU, MSU, Notre Dame) so they will always get everyone's best shot.

4.  Your argument about a QB is also hard to dispute but that's not what you said.  You said he can't develop talent.  There are plenty of other positions on the field and if I am not mistaken, only LSU, Alabama and Ohio State have more draft picks than Michigan since Harbaugh took over.  (You may have to fact check me on that one as I don't have time as Notre Dame, Clemson and Georgia are also close, but UM is easily top 7 at worst.)

I told you in my manifesto above why Harbaugh is entertaining his NFL options and why a guy who was supposedly washed up and on the chopping block 365 days ago is suddenly a hot name again.  Its funny how that works.

Edited by temptation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Chicago...where QB's and Coaches go to die......at least over the past few decades

The NFL game has changed so much with its focus totally on the passing game since the Bears were last really successful....going to take an awful special QB to make it work off the lake.

The Bears will be playing 20 miles inland from the lake in Arlington in 3 to 5 years.  Look down the road when wind and possibly even snow and cold may not be a factor if they go with a roof.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, temptation said:

1.  59-20...anyone counting 2020 is a fool.  That equates to roughly 9-3 every season which is where Michigan was/has been for its eternity.

2.  Bowl games, outside of the NY6 are largely overrated when it comes to assessing a coach or program for obvious reasons.

3.  The records against OSU and MSU are what they are and it is difficult to defend them though neither program is chopped liver and the argument could be made that both are at an all-time high point in their programs' history.  NO PROGRAM has more "rivals" in America than Michigan (Minnesota, OSU, MSU, Notre Dame) so they will always get everyone's best shot.

4.  Your argument about a QB is also hard to dispute but that's not what you said.  You said he can't develop talent.  There are plenty of other positions on the field and if I am not mistaken, only LSU, Alabama and Ohio State have more draft picks than Michigan since Harbaugh took over.  (You may have to fact check me on that one as I don't have time as Notre Dame, Clemson and Georgia are also close, but UM is easily top 6.)

I told you in my manifesto above why Harbaugh is entertaining his NFL options and why a guy who was supposedly washed up and on the chopping block 365 days ago is suddenly a hot name again.  Its funny how that works.

1. 2020 obviously counts as Harbaugh was forced to take a significant pay cut to stay employed.

2. Michigan fans care about winning their postseason games and 1-5 isn't going to cut it.

3. Won't argue any of that but at Michigan you're expected to beat your rivals. Losing to Ohio State is understandable given the talent they've had, but he's been flat embarrassed in a few of the games. A losing record to MSU isn't acceptable.

4. Most of Michigan's NFL players have come from the defensive side of the ball. Not sure how big of a role Harbaugh plays in developing DL and LB's, but as a former QB who is revered as a QB coach, Michigan has struggled immensely at the QB position since Harbaugh has taken over.

I don't think Harbaugh is chopped liver. He likely is the best that Michigan can and will have as a coach. However, I think Harbaugh's greatest strength is X's and O's and is more suited for a role in the NFL where he doesn't have to worry about recruiting and player development. There's a reason why Saban and Meyer flopped in the NFL. Neither are fantastic play callers and don't have the luxury of recruiting the best talent every year. Harbaugh has shown to be a successful NFL head coach, something a lot of college coaches can't say. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

1. 2020 obviously counts as Harbaugh was forced to take a significant pay cut to stay employed.

2. Michigan fans care about winning their postseason games and 1-5 isn't going to cut it.

3. Won't argue any of that but at Michigan you're expected to beat your rivals. Losing to Ohio State is understandable given the talent they've had, but he's been flat embarrassed in a few of the games. A losing record to MSU isn't acceptable.

4. Most of Michigan's NFL players have come from the defensive side of the ball. Not sure how big of a role Harbaugh plays in developing DL and LB's, but as a former QB who is revered as a QB coach, Michigan has struggled immensely at the QB position since Harbaugh has taken over.

I don't think Harbaugh is chopped liver. He likely is the best that Michigan can and will have as a coach. However, I think Harbaugh's greatest strength is X's and O's and is more suited for a role in the NFL where he doesn't have to worry about recruiting and player development. There's a reason why Saban and Meyer flopped in the NFL. Neither are fantastic play callers and don't have the luxury of recruiting the best talent every year. Harbaugh has shown to be a successful NFL head coach, something a lot of college coaches can't say. 

You baited me into an argument that I said I was going to avoid.  Let's leave it at this.  You make some valid points, I make some valid points.  We can agree to disagree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HHF said:

The Bears will be playing 20 miles inland from the lake in Arlington in 3 to 5 years.  Look down the road when wind and possibly even snow and cold may not be a factor if they go with a roof.

that will help significantly......and be used for other major events

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I get the feeling that Harbaugh will be seeing a nice pay increase no matter what happens, and he will have a few NFL options to choose from. 

I agree, which is hilarious considering where he was 365 days ago...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2022 at 11:03 AM, HHF said:

The Bears will be playing 20 miles inland from the lake in Arlington in 3 to 5 years.  Look down the road when wind and possibly even snow and cold may not be a factor if they go with a roof.

Did you listen to George McCaskey's presser a few days ago? It's unbelievable that the man can continue to disappoint as much as he does. I'm convinced he's the geeky straight A kid we knew in Middle School or High School that neither liked sports or cared about sports. Unfortunately for us Bears fans, he and his siblings inherited a franchise through their mother Virginia. He had the PERFECT opportunity to create excitement by proclaiming the McCaskey family was committed to winning and the turnaround would start with the next Coaching/GM hire as well as the plans they have to build an entertainment complex in Arlington. No, no, no. George is either holding his cards close to his chest or simply doesn't have a plan. He actually said it wasn't the Bears that pursued the Arlington Park transaction. He actually admitted Arlington Park contacted the Bears to solicit their interest in buying the property. He went on to add the Bears are still researching the property and they're not sure what their plans will be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Did you listen to George McCaskey's presser a few days ago? It's unbelievable that the man can continue to disappoint as much as he does. I'm convinced he's the geeky straight A kid we knew in Middle School or High School that neither liked sports or cared about sports. Unfortunately for us Bears fans, he and his siblings inherited a franchise through their mother Virginia. He had the PERFECT opportunity to create excitement by proclaiming the McCaskey family was committed to winning and the turnaround would start with the next Coaching/GM hire as well as the plans they have to build an entertainment complex in Arlington. No, no, no. George is either holding his cards close to his chest or simply doesn't have a plan. He actually said it wasn't the Bears that pursued the Arlington Park transaction. He actually admitted Arlington Park contacted the Bears to solicit their interest in buying the property. He went on to add the Bears are still researching the property and they're not sure what their plans will be. 

I have a lot more faith in the business sense of the Pakistani immigrant behind the counter of the 7-Eleven down the street.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Did you listen to George McCaskey's presser a few days ago? It's unbelievable that the man can continue to disappoint as much as he does. I'm convinced he's the geeky straight A kid we knew in Middle School or High School that neither liked sports or cared about sports. Unfortunately for us Bears fans, he and his siblings inherited a franchise through their mother Virginia. He had the PERFECT opportunity to create excitement by proclaiming the McCaskey family was committed to winning and the turnaround would start with the next Coaching/GM hire as well as the plans they have to build an entertainment complex in Arlington. No, no, no. George is either holding his cards close to his chest or simply doesn't have a plan. He actually said it wasn't the Bears that pursued the Arlington Park transaction. He actually admitted Arlington Park contacted the Bears to solicit their interest in buying the property. He went on to add the Bears are still researching the property and they're not sure what their plans will be. 

In other words any new stadium for the Bears will be built using hundreds of millions, if not billions, of taxpayer dollars.  I'm sure the taxed-to-the-hilt, fleeing the state in droves, citizens of Illinois will love that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

In other words any new stadium for the Bears will be built using hundreds of millions, if not billions, of taxpayer dollars.  I'm sure the taxed-to-the-hilt, fleeing the state in droves, citizens of Illinois will love that.

 

I think the reality is IF the Bears actually move to Arlington Heights that it won't be for a very long time. I don't think this is a 3-5 year window; moreso a 7-10 year window if it actually happens. Not sure what amount an owner has to contribut to the building of a new stadium; however there is speculation the McCaskey's couldn't even foot that bill. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I think the reality is IF the Bears actually move to Arlington Heights that it won't be for a very long time. I don't think this is a 3-5 year window; moreso a 7-10 year window if it actually happens. Not sure what amount an owner has to contribut to the building of a new stadium; however there is speculation the McCaskey's couldn't even foot that bill. 

 

If the McCaskeys were to sell the Bears, the sales price would be more than $4 billion. Just sayin’. When Virginia kicks the bucket, we shall see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

If the McCaskeys were to sell the Bears, the sales price would be more than $4 billion. Just sayin’. When Virginia kicks the bucket, we shall see.

And I believe that's the only way the children see the full extent of their wealth. I don't think they've amassed an enormous amount of wealth in a different business entity. I hope they sell, but I fear they care more about their Royalty status of being direct descandants of George Halas than they do about winning. I would love to know what people like the Rooney's, Mara's, and Jerry Jones of the NFL think about the McCaskey family. I assume pity.

 

Edited by Boilernation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...