Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2022

WolvesOnTheProwl

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

They never expire.  Zero tolerance return policy. 

Last one was classic. Good find.

I said that Buchner would win a national title at Notre Dame, but that was back when Kelly and Freeman were a team. So I can't be held to that one. Kelly's chances of winning a championship in the next four years was better at ND than it is at LSU. We'll see how Freeman does on his own. He certainly has the talent currently there and the recruits coming in to be successful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTF said:

I was referring to "chosen ones" on a national scale. Not just Notre Dame. 

I wouldn't take any of those guys on that list over Buchner. But I think Pyne is pretty darn good though. It'll be interesting to see how they both do during the Blue and Gold game. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Both quarterbacks are capable of leading the Irish back the playoffs. Right now I'm 55/45 in favor of Buchner. 

I think both will play this year, neither are very big and at some point they’ll probably miss time so the other will have to be ready to step in.  Could be as early as week 1. Will they look to transfer portal for a back up for added depth? Sounds like TB has been pretty accurate throwing the ball this spring. I agree that DP should have gotten more of a look in a few games last year but he must not practice well? They’ll utilize all their running backs in blue-gold game since there are only 5 scholarship receivers in spring practice. 

2 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

I agree that DP should have gotten more of a look in a few games last year but he must not practice well? 

I think it's more about Kelly being a dickhead. He was more committed to his transfer than he was a player that's already been with the program. Anyone with a morsel of a brain could see that Pyne played as well as anyone when he had the opportunity. 

48 minutes ago, BTF said:

I think it's more about Kelly being a dickhead. He was more committed to his transfer than he was a player that's already been with the program. Anyone with a morsel of a brain could see that Pyne played as well as anyone when he had the opportunity. 

I had the opposite view. Looking at the bowl game; Coan got all the reps. I think Kelly is the reason that Buchner and Pyke saw the field at all during the season. With Kelly gone, the offense was completely in the hands of Rees. 

The Irish will host Tennessee State in the 2023 opener, the first time ND has ever played an FCS school. Right now, Notre Dame is one of only 3 FBS schools that has never played an FCS team. This is all about ND providing a big stage for an HBCU school, and is the product of the friendship between 2 Ohio State alums, Marcus Freeman and Eddie George, the coach of Tennessee State. Going to be quite a big deal next year.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/notre-dame-football-schedule-irish-add-first-ever-fcs-opponent-will-face-tennessee-state-in-2023-opener/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/3/2022 at 8:30 PM, Irishman said:

I had the opposite view. Looking at the bowl game; Coan got all the reps. I think Kelly is the reason that Buchner and Pyke saw the field at all during the season. With Kelly gone, the offense was completely in the hands of Rees. 

I was speaking of Pyne's opportunities when he got them. He looked very good, but Kelly continued his commitment to Coan. 

At least Kelly knew when to set Coan on the bench. Coan playing every rep against Oklahoma State was ultimately their death sentence. The regular season proved that Coan will go 3-5 offensive series in a row with stagnant offense. That's where Buchner and Pyne came in and helped the team tremendously. In fact, if it weren't for the performances of all three quarterbacks, Notre Dame wouldn't have been playing in a New Year Six bowl game. If it's not broke, don't fix it. Freeman/Rees tried fixing something that was already working, and as a result, have started the new era 0-1. 

• Like 1

Dabo Swinney..."My transfer portal is right there in that locker room because if I'm constantly going out every year and adding guys from the transfer portal, I'm telling all those guys in that locker room that I don't believe in them, that I don't think they can play," Swinney said. "We're also not doing our job as coaches and recruiters if we're bringing in a bunch of transfers."

This is the point I was making all along with Coan leading the way and Pyne sitting on the bench. It's not that I dislike Coan. I have a lot of respect for that guy and he's a very good player. I just felt like Kelly was overcommitted to a guy who was never with the program from the beginning. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 10:26 PM, Bobref said:

The Irish will host Tennessee State in the 2023 opener, the first time ND has ever played an FCS school. Right now, Notre Dame is one of only 3 FBS schools that has never played an FCS team. This is all about ND providing a big stage for an HBCU school, and is the product of the friendship between 2 Ohio State alums, Marcus Freeman and Eddie George, the coach of Tennessee State. Going to be quite a big deal next year.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/notre-dame-football-schedule-irish-add-first-ever-fcs-opponent-will-face-tennessee-state-in-2023-opener/

I believe it was Frank Beamer when he was head coach at Murray State (FCS) once quoted....."Alabama needs a victory and we need a new weight room."  

What an experience for Tenn State to play in ND stadium.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I believe it was Frank Beamer when he was head coach at Murray State (FCS) once quoted....."Alabama needs a victory and we need a new weight room."  

Brady Quinn agrees.

2 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Brady Quinn agrees.

They are going to make this a huge weekend long event, I bet. The e-mail I got from the University specifically mentioned the Tennessee State marching band, known as “The Aristocrat of Bands,” and they are really supposed to be something. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Bobref said:

They are going to make this a huge weekend long event, I bet. The e-mail I got from the University specifically mentioned the Tennessee State marching band, known as “The Aristocrat of Bands,” and they are really supposed to be something. 

Some of them might need to suit up in the second half…

• Haha 1

On 4/9/2022 at 5:59 PM, temptation said:

Some of them might need to suit up in the second half…

hardly the first FCS school to play a FBS school.  SEC schedules them every year near end of the season.  Didn't Samford embarrass Florida last year by dropping 50+ on them?  Indiana State plays a FBS team every year...they play at Purdue in 2022.  Great experience for the kids and the programs need the $$.

6 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

hardly the first FCS school to play a FBS school.  SEC schedules them every year near end of the season.  Didn't Samford embarrass Florida last year by dropping 50+ on them?  Indiana State plays a FBS team every year...they play at Purdue in 2022.  Great experience for the kids and the programs need the $$.

Oh I get it.  Just busting your balls.

ND’s arrogance prevented them from doing it until now…wonder why.

One word:  optics

43 minutes ago, temptation said:

ND’s arrogance prevented them from doing it until now

So, you’re saying Notre Dame should have been regularly scheduling FCS opponents? Gee, I wonder if folks like you would then be criticizing them for playing a soft schedule. You think?

23 minutes ago, Bobref said:

So, you’re saying Notre Dame should have been regularly scheduling FCS opponents? Gee, I wonder if folks like you would then be criticizing them for playing a soft schedule. You think?

You’re not very good at this Bob.  

Notre Dame’s arrogance is well documented and widely known nationally.

Their schedule was soft this past season but it is not their fault.  Their rivals sucked and they simply out talented everyone.

I am not against playing FCS opponents (1 maximum) as I actually think that power five teams that schedule other power fives in the nonconference are dumb.  

Why in the hell should Notre Dame care what anyone thinks?  Due to their brand, if they run the table they are in and 95% of the time or even in with one loss.  Let the talking heads debate that nonsense.

I will also say that the SEC scheduling them in week 13 is an absolute joke.

Back to my actual point though…ND will get positive publicity for this move which is the sole intent.  They didn’t just schedule ANY FCS school, they scheduled an HBCU.  

In 2022, that’s better publicity than scheduling Alabama.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Oh I get it.  Just busting your balls.

ND’s arrogance prevented them from doing it until now…wonder why.

One word:  optics

Couldn’t agree more. 

2 hours ago, temptation said:

You’re not very good at this Bob.  

Notre Dame’s arrogance is well documented and widely known nationally.

Their schedule was soft this past season but it is not their fault.  Their rivals sucked and they simply out talented everyone.

I am not against playing FCS opponents (1 maximum) as I actually think that power five teams that schedule other power fives in the nonconference are dumb.  

Why in the hell should Notre Dame care what anyone thinks?  Due to their brand, if they run the table they are in and 95% of the time or even in with one loss.  Let the talking heads debate that nonsense.

I will also say that the SEC scheduling them in week 13 is an absolute joke.

Back to my actual point though…ND will get positive publicity for this move which is the sole intent.  They didn’t just schedule ANY FCS school, they scheduled an HBCU.  

In 2022, that’s better publicity than scheduling Alabama.

Bingo. All for show. 

I do have to wonder....has Michigan scheduled FCS games since their loss to App State back in the day?  (before App State became FBS)

I am glad that FBS teams do schedule some games against FCS opponents...it gives the FCS kids an experience playing at the "big time" while also giving them some additional exposure.  NFL rosters have quite a few players from FCS schools.  To be honest, I am not sure the benefit for a FBS school to do this, other than to perhaps rest some players and get some non-regulars playing time.  They write a nice check to the FCS school, may get less fans in the stands for the game, and if they are upset or played closely, its a big negative for them.

Let’s see, ND gets good pub. TSU specifically, and HBCUs in general, get exposure on a national stage they wouldn’t otherwise have + money + a recruiting boost (“look who/where we play”), Marcus Freeman & Eddie George manifest their friendship in a very productive way, do I need to go on? Sounds like a “win” all the way around. Why all the cynicism? Life is not always a zero sum game.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bobref said:

Let’s see, ND gets good pub. TSU specifically, and HBCUs in general, get exposure on a national stage they wouldn’t otherwise have + money + a recruiting boost (“look who/where we play”), Marcus Freeman & Eddie George manifest their friendship in a very productive way, do I need to go on? Sounds like a “win” all the way around. Why all the cynicism? Life is not always a zero sum game.

Not debating anything you say here but you could have stopped after your first sentence and been just as accurate.  Let’s call this what it is.

Edited by temptation

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Not debating anything you say here but you could have stopped after your first sentence and been just as accurate.  Let’s call this what it is.

Accuracy is one thing. Completeness is another. I strive to be both.

You’re just miffed that Michigan didn’t do it first. Oh wait, isn’t Appalachian State an HBCU …?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

You’re just miffed that Michigan didn’t do it first. Oh wait, isn’t Appalachian State an HBCU …?

Nah, I agreed with your sentiments but the REASON for them doing it is blatantly obvious.  

As for App State, they were THE FCS school at the time coming off a national title.  Tennessee State is a completely different story.

But you already knew that.  

(Imagine attempting to throw shade by dropping a joke from a decade and a half ago to make yourself feel better.)

45-14 in the rain must still hurt.

16 hours ago, Bobref said:

Be careful Bob.

Beating Ohio State for the first time in a decade has brought out the worst in some Michigan fans. 

And they got their Michigan Man back. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Be careful Bob.

Beating Ohio State for the first time in a decade has brought out the worst in some Michigan fans. 

And they got their Michigan Man back. 

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!
Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan,
The champions of the West!

l

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Muda69 said: