Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2022

WolvesOnTheProwl

List of schools with a College World Series, March Madness and New Year's Six bowl berth in this school year:

Notre Dame

That's it, that's the list. 

Also, multiple nattys in fencing & women’s basketball, men’s lacrosse a perennial Top 10 ranking, and this season’s NCAA champ in the men’s 10K. Irish are currently 3rd nationally in the Capital One Cup standings, and 2nd in the NACDA Directors’ Cup standings. If they go deep in the College World Series, they could end up winning both. All that in a school with less than 9,000 undergrads. Whatever your feelings about the Irish, you’ve got to admit Jack Swarbrick has done a terrific job with the athletic dept.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bobref said:

List of schools with a College World Series, March Madness and New Year's Six bowl berth in this school year:

Notre Dame

That's it, that's the list. 

Also, multiple nattys in fencing & women’s basketball, men’s lacrosse a perennial Top 10 ranking, and this season’s NCAA champ in the men’s 10K. Irish are currently 3rd nationally in the Capital One Cup standings, and 2nd in the NACDA Directors’ Cup standings. If they go deep in the College World Series, they could end up winning both. All that in a school with less than 9,000 undergrads. Whatever your feelings about the Irish, you’ve got to admit Jack Swarbrick has done a terrific job with the athletic dept.

Who are they behind?

(Hint:  a school that made the college football playoff, the sweet 16 in men’s and women’s basketball, the frozen four, the men’s baseball NCAA tournament and women’s softball tournament.)

25 minutes ago, temptation said:

Who are they behind?

(Hint:  a school that made the college football playoff, the sweet 16 in men’s and women’s basketball, the frozen four, the men’s baseball NCAA tournament and women’s softball tournament.)

Yes, I know they are slightly behind Michigan, and it’s undergrad enrollment almost 4 times their size. But that total is calculated at the conclusion of winter sports. UM’s so-so baseball season compared to ND’s CWS appearance should take care of that.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Yes, I know they are slightly behind Michigan, and it’s undergrad enrollment almost 4 times their size. But that total is calculated at the conclusion of winter sports. UM’s so-so baseball season compared to ND’s CWS appearance should take care of that.

Might wanna check again.  Michigan has clinched 3rd.  Texas/Stanford are 1-2 and still alive in baseball.

Also, LOL at the “undergrad enrollment” card.  The school that has dominated these standings annually has well under 20k undergrads.

Edited by temptation

16 minutes ago, temptation said:

Might wanna check again.  Michigan has clinched 3rd.  Texas/Stanford are 1-2 and still alive in baseball.

Also, LOL at the “undergrad enrollment” card.  The school that has dominated these standings annually has well under 20k undergrads.

I wonder what their F/R lunch numbers are. 😂

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, temptation said:

Might wanna check again.

Perhaps you should. ND is #2 in the NACDA standings, 7 pts. behind Michigan after the winter sports season. https://s3.amazonaws.com/nacda.com/documents/2022/4/6/April7Overall.pdf. They trail leader Georgia in the Capital One Cup, by 6 pts., and Michigan by 5, tied for #3. https://www.capitalone.com/capital-one-cup/. The #6 finish by men’s lacrosse and the baseball team’s CWS appearance should get them some points when the Spring season is totaled up.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Perhaps you should. ND is #2 in the NACDA standings, 7 pts. behind Michigan after the winter sports season. https://s3.amazonaws.com/nacda.com/documents/2022/4/6/April7Overall.pdf. They trail leader Georgia in the Capital One Cup, by 6 pts., and Michigan by 5, tied for #3. https://www.capitalone.com/capital-one-cup/. The #6 finish by men’s lacrosse and the baseball team’s CWS appearance should get them some points when the Spring season is totaled up.

Numbers have already been calculated.

I have a guy.

• Haha 1

On 6/14/2022 at 3:26 PM, Bobref said:

I’m just curious how many schools have skiing and a rifle teams??

14 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The dream is still alive in Omaha!

image.thumb.png.a6aa7dded1e677335f2a9770db363fac.png

Great team win.....solid pitching, great defense, and I really liked seeing them play small ball most of the game, moving guys on bases and putting the ball in play. I also think the umpire crew deserves some props; great defensive plays by both teams and I believe the reviews were called right in each case. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 10:14 PM, Irishman said:

I also think the umpire crew deserves some props; great defensive plays by both teams and I believe the reviews were called right in each case. 

Predictably, not everyone agrees with you.

https://www.on3.com/college/texas-longhorns/news/david-pierce-critique-replay-call-from-game-1-loss-vs-notre-dame-texas-longhorns-baseball-mens-college-world-series-cws-review/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@temptation, you will yet be my bitch! 🤣😅😂

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/recruiting/notre-dame-football-is-dominating-michigan-on-the-recruiting-trail

Notre Dame Is Dominating Michigan On The Recruiting Trail

Notre Dame is dominating Michigan on the recruiting trail in a way we haven't seen in a long time, if ever.

When you have a rivalry there are always times when one side dominates the other, and that's true on the field and off it. This hasn't been true for the Notre Dame vs. Michigan rivalry, at least not until the 2023 and 2024 recruiting cycles began.

Notre Dame and Michigan have played 44 times on the field, and since 1990 the longest win streak for the Irish is four games (1987-90) and the longest for Michigan is three games (2009-11). Many of the games on the field were hotly contested matchups over the years.

The same has been true on the recruiting trail. Notre Dame wins some, Michigan wins some. Over the last six months this hasn't been true, at all, as Notre Dame has completely dominated Michigan on the trail.

The 2022 cycle saw both sides win some battles, with the Irish landing a pair of Michigan standouts (Josh Burnham, Nolan Ziegler) and the Irish beat the Wolverines for Tobias Merriweather, Billy Schrauth, Benjamin Morrison and Ashton Craig among other. Michigan flipped Amorion Walker, who had been a long-time commit to the Irish and also beat Notre Dame for wide receiver Tyler Morris.

Since Marcus Freeman completed his first staff at Notre Dame the Irish have completely obliterated Michigan on the trail, which is even more surprising when you consider the Wolverines are coming off a season in which it went to the College Football Playoff and beat Ohio State for the first time since 2011 and for just the second time since 2004.

So far Notre Dame's destruction has been complete and total, as the Irish have won every major head-to-head battle in the 2023 and 2024 classes, and landed players that Michigan pushed hard to land, but couldn't get into the final two.

Michigan currently has six commits in the 2023 class, and not one of them even had a Notre Dame offer. Notre Dame has 16 commits, and all but three have offers from Michigan.

Notre Dame's most recent victory over Michigan was offensive lineman Charles Jagusah. The Wolverines, led by line coach Sherrone Moore, put up a valiant fight but ultimately this one was never in doubt.

Notre Dame also beat Michigan in head-to-head battles for running back Jayden Limar, offensive lineman Sam Pendleton, defensive linemen Devan Houstan and Boubacar Traore, and safety Peyton Bowen.

The Irish also landed linebacker Preston Zinter, whose older brother Zak started for the Michigan offensive line last season.

Notre Dame has dominated Michigan even more in the 2024 class, and it began when the Irish landed a pair of in-state stars. CJ Carr is a five-star recruit and the No. 19 player in the country according to 247Sports and defensive lineman Brandon Davis-Swain is ranked No. 38 overall on the On3 consensus ranking.

Both are Michigan natives, both are committed to Notre Dame. Carr is the grandson of legendary Michigan coach Lloyd Carr, who led the program to its last national title 

Illinois wide receiver Cam Williams was considered a Michigan lean by several Wolverine pundits, but when Notre Dame offered him in May and began make a run at the talented pass catcher the Irish not only caught the Wolverines, but were able to land Williams, who committed to Notre Dame on Wednesday night.

Michigan was also a finalist for tight end Jack Larsen, who committed to Notre Dame a week ago.

Notre Dame has five committed players in the 2024 class, and four of them have Michigan offers. The Wolverines have one commit in the class, and he did not receive an offer from Notre Dame.

Despite Michigan coming off its best season in decades, the Irish have stole all their momentum, and it's Notre Dame has is recruiting like a team coming off an elite season. It is Notre Dame that is battling Ohio State for Northern supremacy on the recruiting trail.

Perhaps Michigan can turn things around and start to win some battles, but right now I couldn't tell you who that is. Notre Dame's domination has been thorough and complete.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

@temptation, you will yet be my bitch! 🤣😅😂

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/recruiting/notre-dame-football-is-dominating-michigan-on-the-recruiting-trail

Notre Dame Is Dominating Michigan On The Recruiting Trail

Notre Dame is dominating Michigan on the recruiting trail in a way we haven't seen in a long time, if ever.

When you have a rivalry there are always times when one side dominates the other, and that's true on the field and off it. This hasn't been true for the Notre Dame vs. Michigan rivalry, at least not until the 2023 and 2024 recruiting cycles began.

Notre Dame and Michigan have played 44 times on the field, and since 1990 the longest win streak for the Irish is four games (1987-90) and the longest for Michigan is three games (2009-11). Many of the games on the field were hotly contested matchups over the years.

The same has been true on the recruiting trail. Notre Dame wins some, Michigan wins some. Over the last six months this hasn't been true, at all, as Notre Dame has completely dominated Michigan on the trail.

The 2022 cycle saw both sides win some battles, with the Irish landing a pair of Michigan standouts (Josh Burnham, Nolan Ziegler) and the Irish beat the Wolverines for Tobias Merriweather, Billy Schrauth, Benjamin Morrison and Ashton Craig among other. Michigan flipped Amorion Walker, who had been a long-time commit to the Irish and also beat Notre Dame for wide receiver Tyler Morris.

Since Marcus Freeman completed his first staff at Notre Dame the Irish have completely obliterated Michigan on the trail, which is even more surprising when you consider the Wolverines are coming off a season in which it went to the College Football Playoff and beat Ohio State for the first time since 2011 and for just the second time since 2004.

So far Notre Dame's destruction has been complete and total, as the Irish have won every major head-to-head battle in the 2023 and 2024 classes, and landed players that Michigan pushed hard to land, but couldn't get into the final two.

Michigan currently has six commits in the 2023 class, and not one of them even had a Notre Dame offer. Notre Dame has 16 commits, and all but three have offers from Michigan.

Notre Dame's most recent victory over Michigan was offensive lineman Charles Jagusah. The Wolverines, led by line coach Sherrone Moore, put up a valiant fight but ultimately this one was never in doubt.

Notre Dame also beat Michigan in head-to-head battles for running back Jayden Limar, offensive lineman Sam Pendleton, defensive linemen Devan Houstan and Boubacar Traore, and safety Peyton Bowen.

The Irish also landed linebacker Preston Zinter, whose older brother Zak started for the Michigan offensive line last season.

Notre Dame has dominated Michigan even more in the 2024 class, and it began when the Irish landed a pair of in-state stars. CJ Carr is a five-star recruit and the No. 19 player in the country according to 247Sports and defensive lineman Brandon Davis-Swain is ranked No. 38 overall on the On3 consensus ranking.

Both are Michigan natives, both are committed to Notre Dame. Carr is the grandson of legendary Michigan coach Lloyd Carr, who led the program to its last national title 

Illinois wide receiver Cam Williams was considered a Michigan lean by several Wolverine pundits, but when Notre Dame offered him in May and began make a run at the talented pass catcher the Irish not only caught the Wolverines, but were able to land Williams, who committed to Notre Dame on Wednesday night.

Michigan was also a finalist for tight end Jack Larsen, who committed to Notre Dame a week ago.

Notre Dame has five committed players in the 2024 class, and four of them have Michigan offers. The Wolverines have one commit in the class, and he did not receive an offer from Notre Dame.

Despite Michigan coming off its best season in decades, the Irish have stole all their momentum, and it's Notre Dame has is recruiting like a team coming off an elite season. It is Notre Dame that is battling Ohio State for Northern supremacy on the recruiting trail.

Perhaps Michigan can turn things around and start to win some battles, but right now I couldn't tell you who that is. Notre Dame's domination has been thorough and complete.

Hard to ignore at this stage and disappointing but it’s early…

The two teams aren’t scheduled to play again until 2032 so a bit of a weird flex on your part (obviously if Notre Dame comes crawling to the Big Ten that could change).

Summer national championships and September Heisman’s are fun though…(Michigan has won a couple.)

We will see if your boy Freeman can turn this into on the field success.  (I still like my guy though.)

Irish should join the Big Ten/ACC and put the full court press on Dante Moore. Rumor has it, he fell in love with Oregon on his visit and they are the new leader…but I’m not sure he wants to play in the Mountain West because I don’t think Oregon is getting in to the Big Ten.

39 minutes ago, temptation said:

Hard to ignore at this stage and disappointing but it’s early…

The two teams aren’t scheduled to play again until 2032 so a bit of a weird flex on your part (obviously if Notre Dame comes crawling to the Big Ten that could change).

Summer national championships and September Heisman’s are fun though…(Michigan has won a couple.)

We will see if your boy Freeman can turn this into on the field success.  (I still like my guy though.)

Irish should join the Big Ten/ACC and put the full court press on Dante Moore. Rumor has it, he fell in love with Oregon on his visit and they are the new leader…but I’m not sure he wants to play in the Mountain West because I don’t think Oregon is getting in to the Big Ten.

I can’t decide if the fact that college football is in a state of flux is good or bad for the Irish. But I sincerely doubt they’ll come crawling to the B1G. More likely the other way around, if only to try to preempt any other conference affiliation.

Edited by Bobref

25 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I can’t decide if the fact that college football is in a state of flux is good or bad for the Irish. But I sincerely doubt they’ll come crawling to the B1G. More likely the other way around, if only to try to preempt any other conference affiliation.

Crawl, run or walk…they’d better make their mind up.

They fit so well in the Big Ten academically and geographically.

The money being tossed around makes their cute little NBC deal they like to boast about look like chump change.

Edited by temptation

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Crawl, run or walk…they’d better make their mind up.

They fit so well in the Big Ten academically and geographically.

The money being tossed around makes their cute little NBC deal they like to boast about look like chump change.

Two questions:

1. Would the B1G TV rights be worth more if ND was a conference member than otherwise?
  2. Would the B1G be more likely to have representation in the playoff if ND were a member than otherwise?

As for the “fit,” no argument there. And the addition of USC to the conference makes it more likely, since that’s a storied rivalry we could keep without using up one of the few non-conference games we’d be able to play.

Edited by Bobref

So, having given the idea of Notre Dame to the B1G considerable thought, here’s what I came up with:

It depends on what format the B1G adopts. The key question is how many non-conference games ND could play and still join the conference. If they could play 3 non-cons + USC in conference, that would allow them to keep traditional rivals like Navy, show the flag in other parts of the country, and still have the benefit of being able to play in a conference championship game to enhance their playoff chances.  If they could do that, I’m all for it.

Irish with another really good get on the offensive side of the ball, beating out Ohio State and Georgia. https://www.si.com/college/notredame/recruiting/wide-receiver-rico-flores-commits-to-notre-dame-football

Wide Receiver Rico Flores Jr. Commits To Notre Dame

Notre Dame picked up an important commitment from California wide receiver Rico Flores Jr.

Notre Dame is back on the board at wide receiver as Folsom (Calif.) High School standout Rico Flores Jr. committed to the Fighting Irish.

Flores picked Notre Dame over Ohio State and Georgia. For a long time the Buckeyes were considered the leader for Flores, but the Irish staff - led by Chansi Stuckey, Chad Bowden and Tommy Rees - continued to battle and ultimately landed Flores.

The 6-1, 190-pound pass catcher visited Notre Dame for the first the weekend of June 10-12, and that is when the staff made their final move.

Flores joins a Notre Dame class that is already ranked No. 1 in the nation by 247Sports and ESPN, and Flores joining the class pushed the Irish to No. 1 in the Rivals rankings. He is ranked as the nation's No. 106 overall player according to Rivals.

He is the second wideout to pick Notre Dame, joining Round Rock (Texas) Stony Point standout Braylon James.

Flores had a brilliant junior campaign, hauling in 81 passes for 1,157 yards (14.3 YPC) and 11 touchdowns. He has already caught 129 passes for 2,141 yards (16.6 YPC) and 24 touchdowns during his career.

The Folsom star makes plays in every facet of the game, which includes a 97-yard kick return for a score last season and he also registered 18 tackles, broke up three passes and intercepted another while playing defense.

Flores hauled in 8 passes for 117 yards in a playoff victory over national power Concord (Calif.) De La Salle and Irish commit Cooper Flanagan. He caught 9 passes for 108 yards in the championship game loss to San Diego (Calif.) Cathedral Catholic.

• Like 1

The hits keep on coming. What a class Freeman has put together.

https://theathletic.com/news/notre-dame-recruiting-christian-gray/ggeIqgCvpFTs/

Notre Dame adds 6th top-100 prospect to '23 class, 4-star CB Christian Gray commits

By Pete Sampson

July 4, 2022Updated 6:15 PM CDT

Not only did Notre Dame fill a major need on July 4 with the commitment of four-star cornerback Christian Gray of St. Louis, the Irish completed a red-hot recruiting run of five commitments in six days that’s maintained the program’s position atop the team rankings on 247Sports, Rivals and On3 in both the 2023 and 2024 classes.

The 5-foot-11, 170-pound Gray is the 19th verbal commitment in Notre Dame’s ’23 class, which added receiver four-star Rico Flores Jr. (July 3), four-star corner Micah Bell (July 1) and four-star offensive lineman Charles Jagusah (June 30) in the past week, with junior receiver Cam Williams also joining (June 29).

Gray chose the Irish over finalists at LSU, Ohio State and USC. He’s a unanimous four-star prospect whose rating ranges from No. 51 overall on Rivals to No. 159 overall on 247 Sports.

He currently plays at DeSmet, whose head coach John Merritt previously coached freshman defensive lineman Tyson Ford at the John Burroughs School. DeSmet is also the high school that produced former Irish receiver Jordan Johnson, who played for former head coach Robert Steeples, now a member of Brian Kelly’s staff at LSU.

Gray ranks No. 94 overall in the 247Sports Composite, the sixth top-100 prospect in Notre Dame’s class. The Irish signed just one top-100 prospect last cycle. The last time the Irish landed six top-100 recruits in a single class was in 2011 — Kelly’s first full cycle — that included Aaron Lynch, Ishaq Williams, Stephon Tuitt, Ben Koyack, Matt Hegarty and DaVaris Daniels at the top.

The significance of Gray’s commitment extends beyond rankings to need, as cornerbacks coach Mike Mickens now has two prospects committed at a position that has not always been easy to recruit for the Irish. Notre Dame lost four-star commitment, Justyn Rhett, in April when the product of Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas flipped to Georgia. That put the pressure on Mickens to land Bell and Gray from a target board that didn’t expand much during the past few months. Gray had visited Notre Dame a half-dozen times during his recruitment.

Notre Dame signed two true cornerbacks last cycle in Jaden Mickeyand Benjamin Morrison, with Jayden Bellamy a potential corner or safety. With Bell and Gray committed at corner and Peyton Bowen and Adon Shuler committed at safety, Notre Dame’s recruiting haul in the secondary rates is among the program’s best in the past decade. All four are four-star prospects, with Bowen the second-highest prospect in the class at No. 51 overall.

Not only did the Irish fail to sign two top-100 defensive backs in a single class during Kelly’s 12 seasons, but they also signed just four total: Kyle Hamilton, Elijah Shumate, Houston Griffith and Max Redfield.

Top prospects who remain in play for Notre Dame this cycle include receiver Jaden Greathouse, linebacker Jaiden Ausberry, athlete Ronan Hanafin, running back Jeremiyah Love and defensive end Jason Moore. All five are four-star prospects and have already taken official visits to South Bend.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bobref said:

The hits keep on coming. What a class Freeman has put together.

https://theathletic.com/news/notre-dame-recruiting-christian-gray/ggeIqgCvpFTs/

Notre Dame adds 6th top-100 prospect to '23 class, 4-star CB Christian Gray commits

By Pete Sampson

July 4, 2022Updated 6:15 PM CDT

Not only did Notre Dame fill a major need on July 4 with the commitment of four-star cornerback Christian Gray of St. Louis, the Irish completed a red-hot recruiting run of five commitments in six days that’s maintained the program’s position atop the team rankings on 247Sports, Rivals and On3 in both the 2023 and 2024 classes.

The 5-foot-11, 170-pound Gray is the 19th verbal commitment in Notre Dame’s ’23 class, which added receiver four-star Rico Flores Jr. (July 3), four-star corner Micah Bell (July 1) and four-star offensive lineman Charles Jagusah (June 30) in the past week, with junior receiver Cam Williams also joining (June 29).

Gray chose the Irish over finalists at LSU, Ohio State and USC. He’s a unanimous four-star prospect whose rating ranges from No. 51 overall on Rivals to No. 159 overall on 247 Sports.

He currently plays at DeSmet, whose head coach John Merritt previously coached freshman defensive lineman Tyson Ford at the John Burroughs School. DeSmet is also the high school that produced former Irish receiver Jordan Johnson, who played for former head coach Robert Steeples, now a member of Brian Kelly’s staff at LSU.

Gray ranks No. 94 overall in the 247Sports Composite, the sixth top-100 prospect in Notre Dame’s class. The Irish signed just one top-100 prospect last cycle. The last time the Irish landed six top-100 recruits in a single class was in 2011 — Kelly’s first full cycle — that included Aaron Lynch, Ishaq Williams, Stephon Tuitt, Ben Koyack, Matt Hegarty and DaVaris Daniels at the top.

The significance of Gray’s commitment extends beyond rankings to need, as cornerbacks coach Mike Mickens now has two prospects committed at a position that has not always been easy to recruit for the Irish. Notre Dame lost four-star commitment, Justyn Rhett, in April when the product of Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas flipped to Georgia. That put the pressure on Mickens to land Bell and Gray from a target board that didn’t expand much during the past few months. Gray had visited Notre Dame a half-dozen times during his recruitment.

Notre Dame signed two true cornerbacks last cycle in Jaden Mickeyand Benjamin Morrison, with Jayden Bellamy a potential corner or safety. With Bell and Gray committed at corner and Peyton Bowen and Adon Shuler committed at safety, Notre Dame’s recruiting haul in the secondary rates is among the program’s best in the past decade. All four are four-star prospects, with Bowen the second-highest prospect in the class at No. 51 overall.

Not only did the Irish fail to sign two top-100 defensive backs in a single class during Kelly’s 12 seasons, but they also signed just four total: Kyle Hamilton, Elijah Shumate, Houston Griffith and Max Redfield.

Top prospects who remain in play for Notre Dame this cycle include receiver Jaden Greathouse, linebacker Jaiden Ausberry, athlete Ronan Hanafin, running back Jeremiyah Love and defensive end Jason Moore. All five are four-star prospects and have already taken official visits to South Bend.

I hate to break up the summer national championship party and will rarely pass up an opportunity to direct some hatred Notre Dame’s way but can this Freeman guy actually coach?

He has long been known in every circle that he has been a part of as a great recruiter but if I were an Irish fan I would have difficulty forgetting about the deer in headlights look he had in the second half of the Fiesta Bowl as his defense sat back and let Oklahoma State pick them apart.

Recruiting is definitely one part of the battle and an important one, though not as important in college football as it is in college basketball.

Some folks on the Harrell board are already in the process of erecting a statue for Mike Woodson in Bloomington, is the same coming for Freeman in South Bend?

I kid of course, maybe I’m just jealous.

Carry on.

Edited by temptation