Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2022

WolvesOnTheProwl

Jack Swarbrick has been quoted as saying there are three factors that could cause Notre Dame to change its stance as an independent: “The loss of a committed broadcast partner, the loss of a fair route into the postseason, or such an adverse financial consequence that you had to reconsider.”

An expanded playoff model would, in all likelihood, enhance ND’s chances of being in the playoff, so that’s probably not going to be a factor. But the money may be just too big to pass up.

Right now, ND’s contract with NBC doesn’t expire until 2025. It pays ND “only” $15 million a year. The B1G rights grant expires in 2023, and the bidding war is expected to net the league a $1 billion TV contract. B1G schools already get more TV money than ND (IU makes more TV money than the Irish. Wrap your head around that one.). With their new deal, B1G schools will make 2-3 times that much. And NBC is in the running for that contract, although ESPN is the frontrunner. Bottom line: ND is leaving millions on the table if they stay independent through the remainder of the NBC contract.

Of course, it’s not that simple. The B1G may take the view that they are not going to share the pie equally with a “newcomer.” That’s what they did with Nebraska, and what they’ll probably do with USC and UCLA, although ND arguably would add significant value to the contract … especially if NBC gets the contract. Or, if NBC doesn’t get the B1G contract, they may sweeten ND’s deal to keep them independent, which would keep NBC relevant in the college football world.

Right now, the Irish are being patient, and standing pat. The B1G has said they won’t expand any more for now (waiting on ND’s decision). The next domino to fall will be the outcome of the B1G TV contract negotiations. Once it’s done, the payday may be just too big to pass up.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Will be interesting to see how that plays out. If NBC just says no, will that push ND into a conference? Just seems NBC has lost interest over the last few years; especially when moving games to the recently extinct NBS Sports Network and this last season to the Peacock app. 

3 hours ago, Irishman said:

Will be interesting to see how that plays out. If NBC just says no, will that push ND into a conference? Just seems NBC has lost interest over the last few years; especially when moving games to the recently extinct NBS Sports Network and this last season to the Peacock app. 

Swarbrick has been widely quoted as saying 3 things could influence ND’s decision on staying independent:

1. loss of a valued broadcast partner

2. Lack of a clear path to the post-season

3. An economic situation so significant that it compels a reconsideration.

In the immortal words of (the late) Meat Loaf, “two out of three ain’t bad.”

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 8:04 AM, Bobref said:

I’ll try this again. I made this post earlier this morning, and it looked fine. But when I looked at it 30 min. later, there was a completely different image clip attached to my post, and I have no idea how it got there. It was too late for me to edit it. So, I’m trying it again.

Got some tickets yesterday to the Notre Dame - Cal game this September. Coach Freeman announced earlier this week that the Irish will wear green for that game. Made me think back to the very first “green jersey” game of the modern era, the 1977 USC game. I was there that day and it was one of the most electrifying moments I’ve experienced in that stadium … and there have been a lot of them. The Irish hammered #1 USC that day, 49-19, on their way to a national championship. What many people don’t remember is when the Irish came out of the tunnel they were preceded by a large “Trojan Horse,” and no one had any idea what that was about. The idea was actually Digger Phelps’ and Coach Devine embraced it. Probably his finest moment as ND Coach.

While that was incredible moment for Devine, pretty sure crushing #1 Texas 38-10 in Texas to win the National Championship was a finer moment😉

9 minutes ago, RingLeader said:

While that was incredible moment for Devine, pretty sure crushing #1 Texas 38-10 in Texas to win the National Championship was a finer moment😉

Nope....Nothing is better than beating SC 🤣
My favorite moment from that championship game was Joe Montana being interviewed afterward. he holds up the horns sign and says now I know what this mean; we are number one in both polls.....Classic 

• Like 4

On 7/19/2022 at 6:04 PM, Irishman said:

IMO, it's less that NBC has lost interest and more that it's using its valuable properties to try to push subscribers to get cable so they'll have to watch NBCSN (or now, USA Network) and now, they're trying to push Peacock subs. Last week's IndyCar race was also Peacock-only for the same reason - trying to push subscribers by forcing the diehards to buy an extra service. They're usually lower-rated events (like an IndyCar street race in Toronto or ND's games against MAC schools). 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Just curious. It always fascinates me when someone's favorite team is outside the state they call home. 

Late 80's/early 90's you could watch about 3-4 college football games on TV every weekend in the midwest.  

Michigan, like Notre Dame was guaranteed to be on each week.

Notre Dame bored me.

Michigan had superior helmets/uniforms, a superior fight song, a superior stadium and Desmond Howard made one of the greatest catches in college football history that particular fall afternoon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Late 80's/early 90's you could watch about 3-4 college football games on TV every weekend in the midwest.  

Michigan, like Notre Dame was guaranteed to be on each week.

Notre Dame bored me.

Michigan had superior helmets/uniforms, a superior fight song, a superior stadium and Desmond Howard made one of the greatest catches in college football history that particular fall afternoon.

Superior uniforms?  You mean a helmet design they stole from Princeton?  Ugly, boring away uniforms and a boring designed below grade stadium?  

Desmond Howard?  Now we align....pretty darn special college football player.

15 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Superior uniforms?  You mean a helmet design they stole from Princeton?  Ugly, boring away uniforms and a boring designed below grade stadium?  

Desmond Howard?  Now we align....pretty darn special college football player.

Stole?  Fritz Crisler simply took it with him...come on.

Notre Dame Stadium was modeled after which college football stadium?

Don't even get me started on the fight songs...lol.

🙂

47 minutes ago, temptation said:

Stole?  Fritz Crisler simply took it with him...come on.

Notre Dame Stadium was modeled after which college football stadium?

Don't even get me started on the fight songs...lol.

🙂

LOL....just funnin'.....appreciate your loyalty!!!

Stadium design blueprint?  Yale Bowl?  University of Chicago maybe?  😜

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BTF said:

Just curious. It always fascinates me when someone's favorite team is outside the state they call home. 

I'm a Chicago Bears fan because there was no NFL franchise in the state of Indiana when I started to love and enjoy the game.    

My son however is a huge Colts fan.  I tell him I will always root for the Colts to win, unless they are playing the Bears.

7 hours ago, BTF said:

State? Maybe city but I don't think that's weird at all. People living in NW IN and the Region are closer to Chicago by almost two hours than Indianapolis. Have never lived in that area of the state but would guess most local coverage goes to the Bears before it does the Colts. In fact, I'm pretty sure Chicago's metro population encompasses Lake and Porter Country. 

4 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

State? Maybe city but I don't think that's weird at all. People living in NW IN and the Region are closer to Chicago by almost two hours than Indianapolis. Have never lived in that area of the state but would guess most local coverage goes to the Bears before it does the Colts. In fact, I'm pretty sure Chicago's metro population encompasses Lake and Porter Country. 

It just fascinates me. I think everyone has a good story. And you are correct about NW Indiana and their ties to Chicago. Half that population travels to Chicago for work. And the Windy City has adopted ND as their own even though Illinois hates Indiana politically. 

Most people in Fort Wayne identified with the Bears before the colts came to Indy. Then it was probably 60/40 in favor of the Bears. Now I would say it's 65/35 in favor of the Colts. 

9 minutes ago, BTF said:

It just fascinates me. I think everyone has a good story. And you are correct about NW Indiana and their ties to Chicago. Half that population travels to Chicago for work. And the Windy City has adopted ND as their own even though Illinois hates Indiana politically. 

Most people in Fort Wayne identified with the Bears before the colts came to Indy. Then it was probably 60/40 in favor of the Bears. Now I would say it's 65/35 in favor of the Colts. 

I have been in the Fort since 08. My impression is there are far more Steelers fans, with some Bears fans and a lot of Colts fans. The connection between Chicago and ND is that a LOT of students at ND came from Chicago in the early days of the school. I think there is a steady flow of them even today. There are other cities with a high population of Catholics that have a strong connection as well. NYC, Philly, and Boston included. Since the Order of St. Joseph priests started Cathedral over 100 years ago, Indy sent a good number there as well.  

34 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I have been in the Fort since 08. My impression is there are far more Steelers fans, with some Bears fans and a lot of Colts fans. The connection between Chicago and ND is that a LOT of students at ND came from Chicago in the early days of the school. I think there is a steady flow of them even today. There are other cities with a high population of Catholics that have a strong connection as well. NYC, Philly, and Boston included. Since the Order of St. Joseph priests started Cathedral over 100 years ago, Indy sent a good number there as well.  

Steelers fans are everywhere. Even Florida. They grew quite the following in the 70's and 80's. 

If you live in Chicago and are well off financially, you send your kids to Notre Dame. So yeah, Chicago is probably more Irish than South Bend. 

• Like 1