Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2022

WolvesOnTheProwl

On 8/31/2022 at 10:56 AM, Footballking16 said:

Crazy thing is I'd feel comfortable taking this up to 21. I know OSU has question marks on defense and Irish do have a good offensive line and they will look to ground and pound and keep the clock moving, but I just don't see a scenario where OSU doesn't score almost every time the touch the ball until they call off the dogs, in the event they do. I think ND needs to score at least 21 to have a chance of keeping it within the number. 

Figured today would be as good a day as any to pull receipts.  The THREE Heisman candidates I heard about all summer (Stroud, Henderson and Smith-Njigba) certainly didn't set the world on fire in game one.  

Hell, you could make the argument that Stroud wasn't even the best quarterback on the FIELD for most of the game or that Henderson wasn't the most valuable running back on his own TEAM in this game.

Still confident in them dropping 50 on Michigan @Footballking16?  Didn't you give me +21 somewhere on this forum?

Tongue firmly planted in cheek.  I kid.  I know O$U will be there in the end.  Just busting your balls.

37 minutes ago, temptation said:

Figured today would be as good a day as any to pull receipts.  The THREE Heisman candidates I heard about all summer (Stroud, Henderson and Smith-Njigba) certainly didn't set the world on fire in game one.  

Hell, you could make the argument that Stroud wasn't even the best quarterback on the FIELD for most of the game or that Henderson wasn't the most valuable running back on his own TEAM in this game.

Still confident in them dropping 50 on Michigan @Footballking16?  Didn't you give me +21 somewhere on this forum?

Tongue firmly planted in cheek.  I kid.  I know O$U will be there in the end.  Just busting your balls.

Well JSN got hurt early, so of course he was a non-factor. I do think Day tried to get cute without his lead receiver rather than methodically run the ball down ND's throat which they did in the second half. Not a career day for Stroud by any means but still threw 2 TD's and still completed 70+% of his passes. Also had two RB's average 6 yards/carry, a lot of people forget Miyan Williams would start for 90% of teams in the country. And at the end of the day, you just have to tip you hat to ND. They have a very good front 7 and had a masterful defensive plan. Will credit Freeman in that regard.

Still think OSU's offense is going to be a problem when it gets in full gear. I was honestly more impressed with OSU's defense if anything. ND had 250 yards of total offense and 50 of them came on the first play of the game. Notre Dame has a very good OL and OSU was in the backfield all game.

Still think OSU is going to do what they want with Michigan when the time comes. 

23 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Well JSN got hurt early, so of course he was a non-factor. I do think Day tried to get cute without his lead receiver rather than methodically run the ball down ND's throat which they did in the second half. Not a career day for Stroud by any means but still threw 2 TD's and still completed 70+% of his passes. Also had two RB's average 6 yards/carry, a lot of people forget Miyan Williams would start for 90% of teams in the country. And at the end of the day, you just have to tip you hat to ND. They have a very good front 7 and had a masterful defensive plan. Will credit Freeman in that regard.

Still think OSU's offense is going to be a problem when it gets in full gear. I was honestly more impressed with OSU's defense if anything. ND had 250 yards of total offense and 50 of them came on the first play of the game. Notre Dame has a very good OL and OSU was in the backfield all game.

Still think OSU is going to do what they want with Michigan when the time comes. 

Day getting cute is exactly why I am hesitant to call him a top tier coach just yet.  This was debated in the other thread.  Once he decided to commit to the run and the ND defense was gassed, it was over.

50+ and +20.5 is still on the table huh?

7 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Freeman get his first dub this week? Will his team show up in the second half? Hope it's not close at halftime.

Yes, ND’s floor is still 9 wins.  10/11 likely.

Only three teams with a pulse left on the schedule.

12 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

You're on

Do I also get 9.5 wins?

Edited by temptation

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Can't wait for the end of the year spin that a 10-2 ND teams deserves to be in the CFP because they played Ohio State close. 

That depends on what Ohio State does. Shouldn't be that hard to get in when they're taking 12.

13 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

That depends on what Ohio State does. Shouldn't be that hard to get in when they're taking 12.

Well 4 years from now that may be ND's angle but this year a 10-2 ND team shouldn't sniff the CFP. CFP is still taking 4 teams for the next few years. Trying to figure out ND's best win the last 5 years and wondering how they've made it into the CFP 3 of the last 5 years. 

Edited by Footballking16

23 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

I agree. 2 losses should knock anyone out. Depending on the year, 1 loss should disqualify. I don't expect the Irish to be there this year, this is inherited recruiting, and the offense is  woefully lacking.

I’m not sure I totally agree.  Week 1 was huge for the SEC with Florida beating Utah.  

A two loss Georgia or Bama or a 1 loss Utah?

29 minutes ago, temptation said:

I’m not sure I totally agree.  Week 1 was huge for the SEC with Florida beating Utah.  

A two loss Georgia or Bama or a 1 loss Utah?

Very real chance OSU and Michigan are undefeated when they play. A 1 loss OSU/UM deserves to get in over a 2 loss Bama/UGA, in my opinion. SEC champion is getting in regardless, B10 champion is likely getting in unless teams like USC and Clemson run the table. Still have to factor in the B12 champion while they are still intact. 

17 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Very real chance OSU and Michigan are undefeated when they play. A 1 loss OSU/UM deserves to get in over a 2 loss Bama/UGA, in my opinion. SEC champion is getting in regardless, B10 champion is likely getting in unless teams like USC and Clemson run the table. Still have to factor in the B12 champion while they are still intact. 

I don't think anyone expects Notre Dame to be in the top 4 this year. Although there really is no team dominant enough to be considered at this point beyond Georgia and Alabama. And it's a long season, those 2 still need to prove themselves.

43 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

But the timing of WHEN OSU/Michigan lose (if in fact both are undefeated heading in) likely prevents this from happening.

I think a 12-1 Utah (just an example) on a 12 game winning streak gets in over a second Big Ten team, though I'd love to be wrong.

Lots of football left.

On 9/8/2022 at 9:57 AM, Footballking16 said:

Trying to figure out ND's best win the last 5 years and wondering how they've made it into the CFP 3 of the last 5 years. 

A bunch of unqualified bozo's on the committee? Only twice in the last 5 years, but one could certainly argue that they qualified for three. 

On 9/8/2022 at 9:24 AM, temptation said:

I am hesitant to call him a top tier coach just yet. 

I'm sure there are 20-30 NCAA coaches and a handful of Indiana High School coaches who could do what Day has does with the talent at his disposal.

On 9/8/2022 at 8:59 AM, Footballking16 said:

And at the end of the day, you just have to tip you hat to ND. They have a very good front 7 and had a masterful defensive plan. Will credit Freeman in that regard.

Notre Dame has a very good OL

Five Notre Dame compliments in one post? Are you feeling ok?

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Five Notre Dame compliments in one post? Are you feeling ok?

Lol.

I don't like Notre Dame, that doesn't stop me from being objective. Notre Dame devised a wonderful game plan last week against Ohio State. Which is why Freeman just laying down in the 4th quarter is even more befuddling. 

The TD drive was a good one, but just not a fan of what Rees is trying to do. JUST missed what would have been a huge play before the half. Defense is ok, I just question many of the stunts; bringing guys from a long way on the blitz and they are just not getting close. Pass coverage is soft too. 

7 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Not a good performance from the Irish today.  Maybe a letdown from last week.  Buchner looks really bad. It looks like they'll be behind Marshall at halftime.

Last year they brought in Pyne for the Wisconsin game. He bailed the Irish out then we didn't see him for the rest of the year. I wish they'd give him a legitimate shot. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BTF said:

Last year they brought in Pyne for the Wisconsin game. He bailed the Irish out then we didn't see him for the rest of the year. I wish they'd give him a legitimate shot. 

I agree!  There are more receivers on the field besides #87 too!  Give Pyne the 2nd half start.  It can't be much worse.  I kind of hope this turns out to be like the Cathedral/Penn game when the Irish came alive in the 2nd half, but I'm kind of worried about this one.

10 minutes ago, Irishman said:

The TD drive was a good one, but just not a fan of what Rees is trying to do. JUST missed what would have been a huge play before the half. Defense is ok, I just question many of the stunts; bringing guys from a long way on the blitz and they are just not getting close. Pass coverage is soft too. 

Yeah, the defense is OK, but the offense is stagnant.  I hope this gets taken care of at halftime.  I hope this is just a temporary letdown from last week.