Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2022

WolvesOnTheProwl

12 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Great point! I forgot how soon the turnaround was in promoting Freeman. You can't let the inmates run the asylum. In fairness to Freeman, he still has a lot of time to write his story at ND. But, you can't convince me they couldn't have found a better option had they done their due dilligence and opened the job up to outside candidates. It's entirely possible that Nebraska will have a better hire than Freeman. I firmly believe the football Gods are through with punishing the Huskers for firing Pelini and they'll end up with a really good coach capable of consistent 7-10 win seasons. I realize that's not good enough for ND fans; however, it currently looks better than Freeman.

If Notre Dame went after Fickell, Kyle Whittingham, and Mark Stoops and all said no then I get the Freeman hire. All three of those coaches should have been contacted first.

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

If Notre Dame went after Fickell, Kyle Whittingham, and Mark Stoops and all said no then I get the Freeman hire. All three of those coaches should have been contacted first.

Agreed. If I'm Nebraska I'm sending a blank check to Stoops. You already know he knows how to overcome a state with very little D1 talent and recruit Regionally. He's proven he can compete in the SEC with inferior recruiting rankings. And he currently has to deal with Calipari making sure everyone knows Kentucky is a basketball school. Why not go to Nebraska where the fan support rivals Kentucky and you are THE show in Lincoln? 

Edited by Boilernation

44 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Agreed. If I'm Nebraska I'm sending a blank check to Stoops. You already know he knows how to overcome a state with very little D1 talent and recruit Regionally. He's proven he can compete in the SEC with inferior recruiting rankings. And he currently has to deal with Calipari making sure everyone knows Kentucky is a basketball school. Why not go to Nebraska where the fan support rivals Kentucky and you are THE show in Lincoln? 

Not disagreeing, but I have to wonder that its been so long since Nebraska has been of national relevance, that kids today don't link with their old tradition, and simply aren't excited about spending 4 years in Lincoln with coaching staffs that frequently turnover?  Frost had talent in Florida....I don't think the guy forgot to coach.  Its about players.  

Kind of sad....I grew up with Nebraska as a powerhouse....used to watch them come into Bloomington and thrash IU.  Heisman trophy candidates and high draft picks.  Those days seem long ago......

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Not disagreeing, but I have to wonder that its been so long since Nebraska has been of national relevance, that kids today don't link with their old tradition, and simply aren't excited about spending 4 years in Lincoln with coaching staffs that frequently turnover?  Frost had talent in Florida....I don't think the guy forgot to coach.  Its about players.  

Kind of sad....I grew up with Nebraska as a powerhouse....used to watch them come into Bloomington and thrash IU.  Heisman trophy candidates and high draft picks.  Those days seem long ago......

Maybe there is an answer….

E569C528-31AC-439A-9487-2CE3D3C4815E.jpeg

2 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Nebraska has a sellout streak dating back to the 60's and some of the finest athletic facilities in the country. I don't believe for a second they can get back to being a National power as I think some of the advantages they used to have dried up. But, they have the fan following and resources to be a consistent Top 20 team. Nebraska can still recruit at a level much higher than Central Florida. 

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Nebraska has a sellout streak dating back to the 60's and some of the finest athletic facilities in the country. I don't believe for a second they can get back to being a National power as I think some of the advantages they used to have dried up. But, they have the fan following and resources to be a consistent Top 20 team. Nebraska can still recruit at a level much higher than Central Florida. 

I know the fans are committed....no doubt.  I know they have great facilities.  But I don't see their recruiting scores under the last couple of coaches anywhere near some of the top programs.  I am not so sure I agree with you about Central Florida....I need to go back and compare the last 5-10 recruiting classes or so....and now Central Florida is moving into the Big 12.  

Fan following is great....just not sure it alone hooks 4 and 5 star level kids today.....not like it used to at Nebraska

4 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Fickell was focused on the CFP when this went down. UC leaders knew it and finalized a deal that had been in the works to bump his pay to $5 Million a year. He was out. He was my first thought, but heard UC was serious about keeping him. 

As far as some of the other names, let's keep in mind the challenge of ND that many of those big names never had to deal with in other programs; admission standards. Coaches can recruit and even offer, but the kids have to be accepted. One thing you have not heard in YEARS now is ND having kids come in who were at risk of not being eligible. There have been a few who have left because they could not keep up academically, but none have come in with those challenges. Looking at some current offers, it does look like they have some conditional ones.......they offer, but for the offer to stick, kids need to get better in the classroom. I know for a fact those types of offers are out there. And for kids with multiple offers, some of the schools offering have little to no issue with where the kids are now academically. So there is a LOT more to this than just bringing in a big name. I am willing to bet a number of guys said no for that reason. 
Also, knowing that Freeman is close to Day and Fickell, they both likely told Swarbick he already has his guy in the program. I also know Rees was interviewed. he met with players after finding out he was not the guy. That meeting is actually on video. 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

As far as some of the other names, let's keep in mind the challenge of ND that many of those big names never had to deal with in other programs; admission standards. Coaches can recruit and even offer, but the kids have to be accepted.

If that is indeed the case, it even furthers the point that Notre Dame needed to look at a proven winner, before hiring a green coordinator with zero head coaching experience. Whittingham and M Stoops are both proven winners at schools who aren’t perennially landing elite recruits. If you can win at Utah and Kentucky, you can win a Notre Dame.

This is why I don’t understand the grief Kelly took. Say what you want about his recruiting abilities, he’s a damn good X’s and O’s coach, one of the best in the country, and won 10+ games the last 5 seasons. 

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

This is why I don’t understand the grief Kelly took. Say what you want about his recruiting abilities, he’s a damn good X’s and O’s coach, one of the best in the country, and won 10+ games the last 5 seasons. 

I think most Notre Dame fans appreciate what he did for the football program for the past 10 seasons. If anyone questions his ability to coach, then they are flat out brain dead. And he left the program in damn good shape. It was how he left that had most scratching their heads. 

I think a large part in Freeman's hiring had to do with the pissing match they were engaged in with LSU. The Tigers were pissed that Notre Dame won the services of Freeman when both schools were making him offers to leave Cincinnati. So a year later LSU goes after Notre Dame's head coach with the assumption that Kelly would bring Freeman with him. Double whammy right? Wrong.  Notre Dame wasn't about to let LSU have both Kelly and Freeman, they just weren't going to let that happen. HUGE win for Notre Dame not allowing LSU to get Freeman too. Not to mention ND thought highly of Freeman in his ability to lead this program.

2 hours ago, BTF said:

I think most Notre Dame fans appreciate what he did for the football program for the past 10 seasons. If anyone questions his ability to coach, then they are flat out brain dead. And he left the program in damn good shape. It was how he left that had most scratching their heads. 

I think a large part in Freeman's hiring had to do with the pissing match they were engaged in with LSU. The Tigers were pissed that Notre Dame won the services of Freeman when both schools were making him offers to leave Cincinnati. So a year later LSU goes after Notre Dame's head coach with the assumption that Kelly would bring Freeman with him. Double whammy right? Wrong.  Notre Dame wasn't about to let LSU have both Kelly and Freeman, they just weren't going to let that happen. HUGE win for Notre Dame not allowing LSU to get Freeman too. Not to mention ND thought highly of Freeman in his ability to lead this program.

Is there some kind of embedded rivalry with LSU that I’m missing here? ND promoted Freeman to head coach so LSU couldn’t lure him away as a DC? I don’t see the logic. 

6 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Is there some kind of embedded rivalry with LSU that I’m missing here? ND promoted Freeman to head coach so LSU couldn’t lure him away as a DC? I don’t see the logic. 

You don't see the logic in anything if you're not the one who came up with it. Are you an attorney by chance? PM me privately if you are. I do like the fight you have in you. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

You don't see the logic in anything if you're not the one who came up with it. Are you an attorney by chance? PM me privately if you are. I do like the fight you have in you. 

I don't see the logic in promoting a coordinator who is unqualified for a head coaching position at Notre Dame for the sake of keeping him away from LSU. That's the top of logic that gets you 0-3 to start a career while looking completely in over your head. 

13 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

The guy wins at every level. Literally. 

Grand Valley State: 13 seasons. Won at least 8 games in 10 of the seasons. He was the Division 2 Runner-Up in 2001 and the Division 2 Champion in 2002 as well as 2003. 

Central Michigan: 3 seasons. From 4-7 in 2004 to 2006 MAC Champion

Cincinnati: 3 seasons. 10-3, 11-3 and 12-0

Notre Dame: 12 seasons. At least 10 wins in 6 of his last 7 seasons with ND. 

The guy can clearly coach despite how much people love to hate on him. I would not be the least bit surprised if he broke through and won a National Title at Baton Rouge.

15 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

I know the fans are committed....no doubt.  I know they have great facilities.  But I don't see their recruiting scores under the last couple of coaches anywhere near some of the top programs.  I am not so sure I agree with you about Central Florida....I need to go back and compare the last 5-10 recruiting classes or so....and now Central Florida is moving into the Big 12.  

Fan following is great....just not sure it alone hooks 4 and 5 star level kids today.....not like it used to at Nebraska

Yeah, I don't know if I would be excited about the move to the Big 12 if I were Central Florida. The writing seems to be on the wall that any program not in the SEC or Big Ten shouldn't feel confidant about their future. Their recruiting isn't good enough to be near the top programs, but it doesn't need to be. They will still land a handful of 4 star recruits from across the country as well as solid 3 star recruits that had impressive offer lists. They have consistently been amount the Top 5 in recruiting in the Big Ten. That's why I said there is no reason they can't consistenly be a 8-10 win program with the right coach. It was an utter embarassment for Frost that he could out recruit nearly every team in the Big Ten West yet was so awful on the field. Wisconsin has won at least 8 games 18 times since 2000. You can't tell me Nebraska isn't capable of doing it as well when they out recruit Wisconsin on a consistent basis.

41 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

The guy wins at every level. Literally. 

Grand Valley State: 13 seasons. Won at least 8 games in 10 of the seasons. He was the Division 2 Runner-Up in 2001 and the Division 2 Champion in 2002 as well as 2003. 

Central Michigan: 3 seasons. From 4-7 in 2004 to 2006 MAC Champion

Cincinnati: 3 seasons. 10-3, 11-3 and 12-0

Notre Dame: 12 seasons. At least 10 wins in 6 of his last 7 seasons with ND. 

The guy can clearly coach despite how much people love to hate on him. I would not be the least bit surprised if he broke through and won a National Title at Baton Rouge.

If the LSU community has any brains whatsoever, they'll support Kelly at all costs. Work with him and they'll have their champion caliber team. Work against him and start all over with a lesser caliber coach. 

2 hours ago, BTF said:

If the LSU community has any brains whatsoever, they'll support Kelly at all costs. Work with him and they'll have their champion caliber team. Work against him and start all over with a lesser caliber coach. 

Real recognizes real though.  He's not one of "them."  His southern drawl only lasted about 15 minutes.

He screwed himself at halftime of that basketball game and deserves all of the hatred he is receiving.

As the Scott Frost situation showed you cannot be a bad human being AND a bad football coach and expect to last long.  One or the other?  Sure.

See Urban Meyer.  Dude is like a squirrel.  Always lands on his feet.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, temptation said:

Real recognizes real though.  He's not one of "them."  His southern drawl only lasted about 15 minutes.

He screwed himself at halftime of that basketball game and deserves all of the hatred he is receiving.

As the Scott Frost situation showed you cannot be a bad human being AND a bad football coach and expect to last long.  One or the other?  Sure.

See Urban Meyer.  Dude is like a squirrel.  Always lands on his feet.

Was Saban one of them when he took them to the title? More southern than Kelly, sure. But damn, do you want to win football games or not? Who cares where your coach is from. If you don't want someone, then don't hire them.

19 minutes ago, BTF said:

Was Saban one of them when he took them to the title? More southern than Kelly, sure. But damn, do you want to win football games or not? Who cares where your coach is from. If you don't want someone, then don't hire them.

I think Temp is alluding to to Kelly's cringeworthy behavior trying to be "them". I don't think LSU cares that Kelly is from MA as long as he wins. Saban is from WV, Miles was a NE Ohio guy. Orgeron (from LA), had two really good season (1 great) and was a dud for the rest of them. And they turned on him quick. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I think Temp is alluding to to Kelly's cringeworthy behavior trying to be "them". I don't think LSU cares that Kelly is from MA as long as he wins. Saban is from WV, Miles was a NE Ohio guy. Orgeron (from LA), had two really good season (1 great) and was a dud for the rest of them. And they turned on him quick. 

Yeah, Coach O was literally Born on the Bayou and he wasn't even a fan favorite when hired. The writing was on the wall as soon as it was obvious he couldn't replicate an offense that had multiple 1st Round Picks and 2 offensive coaches with NFL coaching ability. I honestly don't think they would care if the coach was a guido from Brooklyn as long he beat Saban and won SEC/National TItles.

53 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Precisely.  He tried to fake it and failed.  Only works if you win.  Time will tell but not off to a good start.

Edited by temptation

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Precisely.  He tried to fake it and failed.  Only works if you win.  Time will tell but not off to a good start.

Is it a total cash grab and experience for someone like Kelly? He's not an idiot. He knows those fans want 3 things: Beat Saban, Win the SEC, Win another National Title. You're yesterday's news if it's not done often enough. Either Kelly has a massive ego and wants to win a National Title at an SEC school or he was intrigued by the cash and experience of coaching in the SEC at a storied program. Or, the idea of being able to recruit at a school that has a revolving door of 4 and 5 star in-state talent that likely doesnt' have to worry about admission standards. Probably a little of all of the above.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Yeah, Coach O was literally Born on the Bayou and he wasn't even a fan favorite when hired. The writing was on the wall as soon as it was obvious he couldn't replicate an offense that had multiple 1st Round Picks and 2 offensive coaches with NFL coaching ability. I honestly don't think they would care if the coach was a guido from Brooklyn as long he beat Saban and won SEC/National TItles.

I agree, but with what Kelly pulled, the fake accent, the dance video thing with the recruit......who chose Alabama........just off to a bad start. Those fans turn probably as quick as anyone. Les Miles is a prime example. A National title and another appearance in the championship game. They were consistently competing for division titles; hit a rough spot in 13 and went downhill from there. Tempt, what year was it that the Michigan rumors came out? I am thinking it was about that same time. But the fans grew impatoient quickly....asked what the buyout was and paid it for the school. 
I am willing to bet some of those people are wishing they had those days back.