Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2022

WolvesOnTheProwl

9 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

That was as sudden a flip as I've seen in all my years of watching Notre Dame football.  I'm glad they regained their toughness and held on for the win, 28-20.

All your years though? The bowl game against Oklahoma State…last year? There have been a number of occasions under Kelly that they have done this. The USC game at ND 3 years ago, I believe is another. 

11 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Michael Mayer is, by far, the best tight end in ND history, and the best in the Country now.

By far? Geeeesh! I think there are some other guys who could argue that. Mayer is great, don't get me wrong, but other Notre Dame greats had better receivers working along side them to throw the ball to. Cole Kmet, Tyler Eifert, and Kyle Rudolf could all make a case. 

Edited by BTF

1 hour ago, BTF said:

By far? Geeeesh! I think there are some other guys who could argue that. Mayer is great, don't get me wrong, but other Notre Dame greats had better receivers working along side them to throw the ball to. Cole Kmet, Tyler Eifert, and Kyle Rudolf could all make a case. 

I would add that Mayer is not great with blocking in the run game. I love the guy; his positives outweigh any negatives. 

4 hours ago, Irishman said:

All your years though? The bowl game against Oklahoma State…last year? There have been a number of occasions under Kelly that they have done this. The USC game at ND 3 years ago, I believe is another. 

The Oklahoma State comeback wasn't a surprise, they were almost a CFP team.  I don't remember offhand  the USC game 3 years ago, but I do remember the Anthony Davis game and that one turned at halftime.  Last night the Irish were up 25-6 and BYU was deep in their own territory with nothing going, and then there's the run for the first down.  It took the Irish a while to get the momentum back.  I may be overstating some, but it was a game that it looked like the Irish had the game won and let up.

2 hours ago, BTF said:

He now holds all the Irish records for receiving for a tight end.  His blocking efficiency isn't entering into that, but he does have room for improvement in that part of his game.  And he's only a junior, but should declare for the NFL after this season.  All things indicate that will happen.

Just seems like the coordinators are trying too many things. Still seeing safety blitzes on defense that are not working. I think I have seen one work against BYU but that was it. Guys still look lost in pass coverage and not much pressure on the QB. And tonight you have a large D Linemen in pass coverage?? 
Offense had the run game going, and some of the quick passing game. Run a sweep on the goal line? And then the reverse on 1st down at midfield? Granted Pyne has predetermined who he is throwing to too many times, and they have been covered or he has missed. Stanford D is making Pyne run around too much. 

ND is never the place to give untested coaches their first stint as a head coach. 

combine that with poor coordinators and you get losses to Marshall and Stanford

they didnt change anything from Ohio State second half meltdown and never changed anything after Marshall debacle.

Still refuse to challenge a defense vertically and continue to play 100% nickel and dime on defense. 

I fully expect the same going forward

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RingLeader said:

ND is never the place to give untested coaches their first stint as a head coach. 

combine that with poor coordinators and you get losses to Marshall and Stanford

they didnt change anything from Ohio State second half meltdown and never changed anything after Marshall debacle.

Still refuse to challenge a defense vertically and continue to play 100% nickel and dime on defense. 

I fully expect the same going forward

Kiser getting any run? 

The Irish radio network just replayed the end of the 2006 Irish game against UCLA.  It was the last regular season game I witnessed at ND Stadium.  Quinn to Samardzija with 26 seconds left for the Irish win.  We were sitting on the other end, but we celebrated anyway! 

We went to many games and bought tickets from someone on campus.  There were no tickets anywhere to be found, so one of us stood in the ticket line while the other one scoured the area for tickets.  We finally got to the ticket window, and the lady says, "how many?" and I said "two please."  After paying for the tickets the lady closed the window and announced that tickets were sold out.  We had just bought the last tickets.  I look at the tickets and they are 8 rows up in the endzone, but we were in the stadium.  As it turned out we were in seats next to the tunnel!  We got to see and talk to players and coaches and it was the best seat I ever had in my 30 or so trips to Notre Dame.  Ater the game, NBC interviewed the two heroes right in our endzone, and as they left the field after the game, we high fived Quinn and Samardzija!

Good start for the Irish!

• Like 2