Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2022

WolvesOnTheProwl

Buchner will be the QB in the Bowl Game for the Irish if healthy.  Pyne, of course, won't play.

It was a very up and down year for Pyne.  He looked overmatched quite a lot during the season.  No way he would have been the starter this year had Buchner not gotten injured.  And he wasn't going to be the Irish QB of the future.  It's good for him to move on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Buchner will be the QB in the Bowl Game for the Irish if healthy.  Pyne, of course, won't play.

It was a very up and down year for Pyne.  He looked overmatched quite a lot during the season.  No way he would have been the starter this year had Buchner not gotten injured.  And he wasn't going to be the Irish QB of the future.  It's good for him to move on.

Agree. He will have 3 years of eligibility left and he will most likely get passed by incoming freshman qb Kenny Minchey and I’m sure a transfer quarterback, and then CJ Carr comes in the following year. Pyne statistically  had a nice season but if you watched all of the games he could be frustrating to watch at times (missing some easy throws, open targets down field). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Agree. He will have 3 years of eligibility left and he will most likely get passed by incoming freshman qb Kenny Minchey and I’m sure a transfer quarterback, and then CJ Carr comes in the following year. Pyne statistically  had a nice season but if you watched all of the games he could be frustrating to watch at times (missing some easy throws, open targets down field). 

You can add Steve Angeli to the QB list also.

20 hours ago, Bobref said:

Heard today that Buchner was QB1 in the first 2 practices this week, to Pyne’s very obvious dissatisfaction.

Everyone needs to get off the Buchner bus, he's too injury prone. I'll lay money that he doesn't make it past Game 5 of next year. 

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Don’t discount “the chosen one” now.

Pyne was so scared he left.

There are two more "chosen one's" coming our way in 2023 and 2024. It's a brutal business. Too much stock is being put into a guy who is injured all the time. Pyne keeps getting s*** on. They s*** on him after last year's Wisconsin game and they were apparently going to s*** on him after this year. Good for him for leaving. 

17 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Pyne was never the answer for the Irish, and he never was treated badly at Notre Dame.  You seem to have a burr up your behind when it comes to the Irish.  Pyne left because he knew he didn't have the talent to compete.

No, I just get tired of coaches giving the nod to a player based on his star rating, which is the case in Buchner vs Pyne. Kelly did it last year. Pyne looked great in the Blue/Gold game, then bailed Notre Dame out of the Wisconsin game...........never played again. Brian Kelly always favored the higher rated quarterbacks even when the play on the field didn't justify. 

Buchner won't make it past Game 5. Keep this for a receipt. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RingLeader said:

Freeman and Irish took a recruiting beat down.  Losing Keely, Edwards, Moore, and now Peyton Bowen

#1 to who knows 

Those guys probably never belonged in an Irish uniform in the first place. 

• Haha 1

The Moore recruitment was a bizarre one….silent commit to nd but still wanted to take other visits. Then he commits to Oregon after CJ Carr announces for ND. Then on Monday Moore decides to flip to UCLA. 
Peyton Bowen, committed since Jan 1 to Notre Dame, has his announcement where he picks up the Irish hat takes it off his head and puts on the Oregon hat. If you watch the video mom claps when he has the nd hat and stops once he dons the Oregon hat. As of this morning he still hasn’t sent his letter of intent to Oregon. Notre dame and Oklahoma are still recruiting him I guess. 
I just don’t understand why these kids commit in the first place when they don’t truly know where they want to be (or who will come in at the last minute with the biggest bag of $$$)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

The Moore recruitment was a bizarre one….silent commit to nd but still wanted to take other visits. Then he commits to Oregon after CJ Carr announces for ND. Then on Monday Moore decides to flip to UCLA. 
Peyton Bowen, committed since Jan 1 to Notre Dame, has his announcement where he picks up the Irish hat takes it off his head and puts on the Oregon hat. If you watch the video mom claps when he has the nd hat and stops once he dons the Oregon hat. As of this morning he still hasn’t sent his letter of intent to Oregon. Notre dame and Oklahoma are still recruiting him I guess. 
I just don’t understand why these kids commit in the first place when they don’t truly know where they want to be (or who will come in at the last minute with the biggest bag of $$$)

The real recruiting begins at the point a kid commits. It eliminates a lot of programs who made offers that did not really have a chance of landing a recruit. They find out what schools were serious about their offers, and now, who comes with the best offer. Kids also know full well that they can easily back out of commitments. 

I'm not sure the word commitment means the same to a young man today that it meant 20 years ago. Certainly not 30 or 40 years ago. 

Notre Dame will be fine. They inked twenty 4-star players. Compare that to Michigan's nine..............just to put into perspective. Not picking on Michigan, just comparing ND to another marquee program. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

So after being committed to ND since Jan 1 and then picking Oregon during his signing day yesterday (but not sending in his letter of intent) Peyton Bowen has now committed to Oklahoma. A huge loss for the Irish;

ND really signed a nice class but losing both Keeley and Bowen stings as those 2 would mostly likely contribute from day 1.  

14 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Maybe it's because they're only 18 years old, or so.

So, the big rumor flying around is that the Wake Forest QB, Sam Hartmann, is going to Notre Dame as a grad transfer. He is the all time ACC passing leader, with 12,000 yds. and 110 TD passes. Last 2 seasons he’s thrown for about 8,000 yds. and 77 TDs against 26 interceptions.

https://www.onefootdown.com/2022/12/23/23524618/notre-dame-football-is-wake-forest-qb-sam-hartman-going-to-transfer-to-the-irish-acc-news-update-nd

College football in 2022 reminds me so much of the change in hiring philosophy our law firm went through. We’d hire the best and brightest law school grads, train them up for 3 years or so, and just when they got to the point where they knew what they were doing, and became profitable, they’d leave for a bigger firm with higher pay. So, we decided unless a kid was a true “can’t miss” star coming out of law school, we would only hire young lawyers who had a couple of years experience somewhere else, so they could hit the ground running. It looks like the college football “market” is trending in the same direction. Why spend a couple of years developing a QB when every year you can just poach a good one from someone else?

On 12/22/2022 at 3:03 PM, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

So after being committed to ND since Jan 1 and then picking Oregon during his signing day yesterday (but not sending in his letter of intent) Peyton Bowen has now committed to Oklahoma.  

On 12/22/2022 at 8:39 PM, PHJIrish said:

Maybe it's because they're only 18 years old, or so.

For me, from this point forward, the default explanation for this sort of flip-flopping is that somebody came up with a better NIL deal. 

On 12/22/2022 at 6:55 AM, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

These kids are still doing the stupid hat tricks? And then he didn't even sign with Oregon? What a joke. lol. 

8 hours ago, Bobref said:

For me, from this point forward, the default explanation for this sort of flip-flopping is that somebody came up with a better NIL deal. 

100%. All day. Oklahoma came in at the last minute with a better offer than Oregon. End of story. And this kid will be a signing day punch line for the rest of his life even if he doesn't see the NFL.

8 hours ago, Bobref said:

So, the big rumor flying around is that the Wake Forest QB, Sam Hartmann, is going to Notre Dame as a grad transfer. He is the all time ACC passing leader, with 12,000 yds. and 110 TD passes. Last 2 seasons he’s thrown for about 8,000 yds. and 77 TDs against 26 interceptions.

https://www.onefootdown.com/2022/12/23/23524618/notre-dame-football-is-wake-forest-qb-sam-hartman-going-to-transfer-to-the-irish-acc-news-update-nd

College football in 2022 reminds me so much of the change in hiring philosophy our law firm went through. We’d hire the best and brightest law school grads, train them up for 3 years or so, and just when they got to the point where they knew what they were doing, and became profitable, they’d leave for a bigger firm with higher pay. So, we decided unless a kid was a true “can’t miss” star coming out of law school, we would only hire young lawyers who had a couple of years experience somewhere else, so they could hit the ground running. It looks like the college football “market” is trending in the same direction. Why spend a couple of years developing a QB when every year you can just poach a good one from someone else?

Unreal. Wake Forest is going to let him play in their Bowl Game even though it's likely he's going to transfer to ND after the season? This and the North Carolina QB reportedly receiving multi-million dollar offers to leave Chapel Hill when he's not even in the transfer portal is absolutelycrazy.