Jump to content

Notre Dame 2022


Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I agree, but with what Kelly pulled, the fake accent, the dance video thing with the recruit......who chose Alabama........just off to a bad start. Those fans turn probably as quick as anyone. Les Miles is a prime example. A National title and another appearance in the championship game. They were consistently competing for division titles; hit a rough spot in 13 and went downhill from there. Tempt, what year was it that the Michigan rumors came out? I am thinking it was about that same time. But the fans grew impatoient quickly....asked what the buyout was and paid it for the school. 
I am willing to bet some of those people are wishing they had those days back. 

2007, please don’t remind me.

Eventually hired Rich Rodriguez and the ONLY thing he was good at was beating Notre Dame.

Edited by temptation
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Todays Cal game will tell us more about MF as a head coach. If they come out flat again and play like last weekend, which I don’t think will happen, it could be a one and done. I’m trying to be positive and believe he’ll learn from his mistakes but there’s a lot of question marks two games into his tenure  

BK: The guy wins. I remember when he came to ND a buddy of mine who hates ND saw BK speak at a coaching clinic (while he was at CMU) and said you got a really good coach. From where ND was when he got there to where he left them is really impressive. At this stage of his career, and after 2 necessary makeovers at ND, does he have the energy to bring back LSU and compete weekly in the SEC? Time will tell but if you go by his track record he will have success. The way he left ND will always have a bitter taste in my mouth. As the all time winningest coach in school history, I felt he owed a little more to his players and school. BK will always be about BK first and foremost. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone with more inside knowledge than me help me out here…

How is a team with 3-4 first round draft picks and talent galore all over the field currently in a dogfight with the preseason #10 Pac 12 team on its home field?

Other than Kelly and Elston was there anymore staff turnover?

If not, there is one common denominator and folks probably don’t want to hear it 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, temptation said:

Someone with more inside knowledge than me help me out here…

How is a team with 3-4 first round draft picks and talent galore all over the field currently in a dogfight with the preseason #10 Pac 12 team on its home field?

Other than Kelly and Elston was there anymore staff turnover?

If not, there is one common denominator and folks probably don’t want to hear it 

You talking Rees? Too of my head Rees, Mickens (db coach), and Freeman are only holdovers from last years staff. Sad state of affairs I’m hoping they can finish off this game vs Cal. Cal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

You talking Rees? Too of my head Rees, Mickens (db coach), and Freeman are only holdovers from last years staff. Sad state of affairs I’m hoping they can finish off this game vs Cal. Cal. 

Rees was not a major problem last year was he?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some positives....I love the short passing game and the screen game. The run game was going well. Defense was getting pressure late with just the front 4 with no blitzes; that is a critical part of any defense. 
negatives....way to many big plays given up on defense. Still running blitzes and stunts that take too long and are ineffective. 

Crazy last couple of plays. Nice to get a W

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't believe NBC can't find a couple of minutes to show the Alma Mater!😡

2 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Some positives....I love the short passing game and the screen game. The run game was going well. Defense was getting pressure late with just the front 4 with no blitzes; that is a critical part of any defense. 
negatives....way to many big plays given up on defense. Still running blitzes and stunts that take too long and are ineffective. 

Crazy last couple of plays. Nice to get a W

It wasn't a masterpiece, by any means.  But it's a win!  They just gotta get better!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, temptation said:

Rees was not a major problem last year was he?

Rees was a major asset last year. But I'm sure Kelly had a firm grip on how the offense was being run. A seasoned coach like Kelly isn't going to give a young man like Rees total control. 

Speaking of steps. Last night was a step in the right direction for Kelly. Everyone said Mississippi State was going to be one of the teams to beat in the SEC this year. Well, Kelly and LSU beat them. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, temptation said:

Rees was not a major problem last year was he?

I had thought prior to the bowl game that Kelly had a tight grip on what was happening offensively. My guess is Freeman has been hands off outside of calling when to punt and when to go on 4th down, or when to go for 2. From the bowl game last year, the team raced out to a huge lead and seemed to play not to lose from late in the 2nd quarter. The offense sputtered, and the defense was giving up big plays. One thing Kelly would have done in that game is pull Coan, let him gather himself, watch what is happening, then go back in. That seemed to work throughout the season. Mayer has been a big weapon the last two seasons. They tend to go away from him when they should not. The pick 6 against Marshall was one example. The bowl game should have been a blowout win. That was the first time I thought maybe Rees was an issue. Prior to that, I was thinking Kelly’s control was the problem in big games. The first two games this year were head scratchers on both sides of the ball. Even yesterday, they struggled. That said, it does seem Pyne was not quite following the game plan. 
While I am skeptical of Rees and Golden, I am willing to give more time to see if things get better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I thought the ball was tipped.  My bad, I guess.

The ball was definitely tipped. That means there can’t be DPI on the play, but you can still have targeting. No doubt about the call. In general, I thought untimely penalties were a big problem. They had 4 false starts in the first half — all on 3rd down — which killed 3 drives. An unnecessary roughness penalty that was totally stupid. And the targeting call — on a play resulting in an interception that would have sealed the deal — could easily have cost them a game they dominated in the 2nd half.

All world Foskey absolutely whiffed on 2 potential sacks when he came unblocked. Pyne throwing the ball into the ground. Sorry, that’s just not a very good football team right now. My hope is that they found out in the second half that running the ball is a good thing, especially when your QB lacks the arm strength to get the ball downfield.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, temptation said:

You should be thrilled with that based on what I’ve seen.

Lol, at this point I'd be fine with 7-5.

With Buchner: 75% chance they go 8-4. And 25% chance they go 9-3

Current situation: 50% chance they go 7-5 and 50% they go 6-6. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...