Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SAC potential matchups

On 1/8/2022 at 1:01 PM, BTF said:

If this new format comes to fruition. 

Who they should schedule and why:

1.        Snider vs Penn – at one time the best non-conference rivalry in the state. This one shouldn’t fade away. Penn leads 9-8, but they are 4-1 during the Yoeman/Tippmann era. Snider wants to right that ship against a program they have a ton of respect for. 

2.       Homestead vs Carmel – Homestead waxed the Greyhounds 27-3 back in 1998. But they are 0-4 ever since with the closest game a 21 point margin. The Spartans need another win to prove they belong with the big boys. Not to mention, the schools and communities are almost mirror images of one another (with the exception of size).

3.       Carroll vs Valparaiso – They’ve never played one another. But I think this would be a good measuring stick for both programs. Nor would they meet again in the playoffs. Both programs appear to be on a level playing field and the drive is only 1.5 hours.

4.       Dwenger vs Central Catholic (Toledo) – Indianapolis rivals Cincinnati, Fort Wayne should rival Toledo. Two cities of similar size separated by only 1.5 hours. Komets vs Walley is vicious. We need this in football too. A border war if you will. Like the Saints, Central Catholic is loaded with football tradition.

5.       Bishop Luers vs Coldwater – Two great programs separated by 1 hour. Both are small schools and Coldwater is widely considered one of the most dominating programs in Ohio pound for pound. If Luers doesn't go after them, someone should.

6.       Northrop vs Leo – Separated by 15 minutes and never met on the gridiron. This would be 5a vs 4a, but Leo is the better program. Northrop isn’t bad, they just play in a good conference. I think this could become a good rivalry.

7.       Concordia vs Indianapolis Lutheran – The battle of the Lutherans. Only three in Indiana with the other being Trinity out of Semour. It’s 3a vs 1a, but I like it. I think others around the state would like it too.

8.       Wayne vs Adams Central – It’s 4a vs 1a, but I think Adams Central would jump at the chance at playing the SAC’s southern most school. The question is, would Wayne go for this. I like the matchup, and at some point, we need to see some Fort Wayne schools take on the hard nosed football programs of Adams County.

9.       South Side vs Indianapolis Attucks – Central Fort Wayne vs Central Indianapolis. I like it. Two struggling programs with similar demographics.

10.   North Side vs New Haven – 5a vs 4a, separated by 8 miles, and have never played one another. Both programs seem to be of equal caliber. 

On the radar: Toledo Whitmer, Bishop Hartley, HCC, DAC, and any school from Lafayette. 

Do OH and MI start their season the same week as Indiana? I think Ohio and Indiana started the same week this year but seem to recall in the past OH starting Labor Day Weekend. I know Cathedral in the past has played teams from OH for their second week opponent that was opening week for the OH opponent. 

15 hours ago, OnceAKnightAlwaysAKnight said:

Not sure if there have been other matchups. But NorthWood defeated Luers 21-14 in the 2005 Regional. NW had Ryan Burkhart, who would go on to kick for Notre Dame.

You are correct! I had forgotten about that game during the Panthers run to the state title in 2005. For some reason I did not think Luers and NorthWood were ever in class 3A together at the same time. It also looks like they played one other time, in the 1984 Class 2A Regional with the #7 Panthers defeating the #9 Knights 21-17.

Either way, would be awesome to see these two storied programs match up with each other on a more consistent basis than once every two decades! Ha!

8 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Do OH and MI start their season the same week as Indiana? I think Ohio and Indiana started the same week this year but seem to recall in the past OH starting Labor Day Weekend. I know Cathedral in the past has played teams from OH for their second week opponent that was opening week for the OH opponent. 

Good point. I don't know the answer to that question though. 

7 hours ago, SAC_Insider said:

Meet in the middle series in Lucas Oil 5 games week one 5 games week 2 ....SIAC vs SAC?

How about an NE8 vs SAC games? 

Not sure NE8 would do the bigger SAC schools any good. I do like the idea of meeting in the middle and playing some teams of the south. 

7 hours ago, Blitz said:

Ohio and Indiana begin the 2022 season the same week. Michigan is one week later. 

I would think the SAC could tap into some Ohio teams for games; Toledo, Columbus area or even Dayton & Akron/Cleveland area. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, psaboy said:

I would think the SAC could tap into some Ohio teams for games; Toledo, Columbus area or even Dayton & Akron/Cleveland area. 

Time will tell. The northeast edge of Fort Wayne and southwest edge of Toledo are separated by an hour. I think rivalries between the two cities could become fierce. Plenty of interesting matchups with other Indiana schools loom as well. 

• Like 1

Blitz is already hearing from sources about the potential for the following matchups...

Warren Central-Snider
Carroll-Valparaiso
South Side-New Haven
Northrop-Goshen
Bishop Luers-East Noble

Been told that some area teams are looking to get out of contracts so they can schedule the SAC sooner.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blitz said:

Blitz is already hearing from sources about the potential for the following matchups...

Warren Central-Snider
Carroll-Valparaiso
South Side-New Haven
Northrop-Goshen
Bishop Luers-East Noble

Been told that some area teams are looking to get out of contracts so they can schedule the SAC sooner.

Didnt somebody in this thread say that Luers would not accept a spot in the small school division?

10 hours ago, Blitz said:

Warren Central-Snider
Carroll-Valparaiso
South Side-New Haven
Northrop-Goshen
Bishop Luers-East Noble

All are matchups worth seeing. Not sure I'd drive down to Warren, but I'd probably stay home and see one of the other games. I think other fans would do the same. I think we'll see an increase in overall attendance. 

10 hours ago, HHF said:

Didnt somebody in this thread say that Luers would not accept a spot in the small school division?

Without scrolling back, I don't think that's what they said. I thought they said that they were happy with things the way they were. 

In Blitz's mind, Luers benefits pretty well from the new format. 

Most years, Luers is going to be the favorite in its division, and now it only has to play three of the group of Carroll, Northrop, Dwenger, Homestead and Snider each season instead of all five. That helps the Knights tremendously when it comes to competing for Victory Bells. 

Blitz has heard that Wayne has reached out to CC, HN and NH for games. Leo v. Luers could be on tap for 2024.

Wanted to drop this here while I am mindlessly working on it as I await a Covid test. 

Outside the Huddle has worked with Mark Candler to keep his Northern Indiana Football results site through the IFCA alive. When we have time (which isn't much, considering it's just two of us operating this wacky venture), we transfer information over from Candler's site to ours. Candler isn't sure how long his site will stay up as he nor anyone else is updating it or paying to host that site. 

In addition to Candler's information, we have provided our own as well. We aren't gotten to every local team (who knows how long that will take) and most of the live pages need updated with 2021 info, but thought it could be something of interest for you all here. 

https://outsidethehuddle.net/historical-football/

11 minutes ago, jakone said:

Should help East Noble more than it will Snider.

Agree, still a good opponent though. Hopefully Snider can land a 6a juggernaut for their other opponent. It's good to see that size and speed from the Indy area.

If Warren Central drops Center Grove with their removal from the MIC, the Warriors would have a week 1 opening to fill potentially with Snider.  Warren Central may want to continue the series with Center Grove but they could move it to a week later in their season with both schools potentially having more openings.

Edited by HoopsCoach

20 hours ago, Blitz said:

Warren Central-Snider
Carroll-Valparaiso
South Side-New Haven
Northrop-Goshen
Bishop Luers-East Noble

Thinking they want to get into action quickly I guess. I hope this doesn't further expose the SAC??