Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

College Football 2022

Muda69

12 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Probably a wash. Worst Ohio State defense I’ve seen in years, not sure it can get any worse this year. I think Knowles is the real deal and the last opponent he faced…Notre Dame. Domers don’t have the horses to keep up.

Will be interesting to see how Jim Knowles can turn it around.  Had pretty darn good success at OK State.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/football/ohio-state-football-buckeyes-name-oklahoma-state-jim-knowles-new-defensive-coordinator

image.png.b9b7a212d76d14099dd60c8ff783bfd1.png

12 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Will be interesting to see how Jim Knowles can turn it around.  Had pretty darn good success at OK State.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/football/ohio-state-football-buckeyes-name-oklahoma-state-jim-knowles-new-defensive-coordinator

image.png.b9b7a212d76d14099dd60c8ff783bfd1.png

Isn't Knowles the DC that shut ND down in the 2nd half in the bowl game?  Thought maybe a guy like "the chosen one" would be able to be a difference maker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Probably a wash. Worst Ohio State defense I’ve seen in years, not sure it can get any worse this year. I think Knowles is the real deal and the last opponent he faced…Notre Dame. Domers don’t have the horses to keep up.

I hate those guys with every fiber in my body so take my opinion with a grain of salt but not having your first stringers tackle in a spring game comes across as soft as hell.

18 hours ago, temptation said:

Caesars has released some early season betting lines…

OSU -13.5 vs ND

My hope (and perhaps ND's hope as well) is that the Irish can run the ball and keep OSU off of the field. I think with Harry Hiestand back as the OL coach ND is going to try and wear teams down this year. The OL, RB, and TE will be the strength of the offense and will be featured. But as a lifelong ND fan, I've hoped for this before and then ND can't run the ball or stop big plays from the other team and they get down 21-3 in the 2nd quarte. IMO it will be helpful that this is Ohio State's first game too so they may be working on some things defensively as well.

Also, Tyler Buchnar will miss the spring game this weekend for ND. Hurt his ankle, not in practice but at the practice facility walking down the stairs and missing the last one. Hope those stairs are more physical than OSU's defense!! 

4 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

My hope (and perhaps ND's hope as well) is that the Irish can run the ball and keep OSU off of the field. I think with Harry Hiestand back as the OL coach ND is going to try and wear teams down this year. The OL, RB, and TE will be the strength of the offense and will be featured. But as a lifelong ND fan, I've hoped for this before and then ND can't run the ball or stop big plays from the other team and they get down 21-3 in the 2nd quarte. IMO it will be helpful that this is Ohio State's first game too so they may be working on some things defensively as well.

Also, Tyler Buchnar will miss the spring game this weekend for ND. Hurt his ankle, not in practice but at the practice facility walking down the stairs and missing the last one. Hope those stairs are more physical than OSU's defense!! 

Apparently so.  Sounds like O$U didn't hit in parts of spring ball.

@temptation

Do not fear, the "chosen one" will "ascend" right before kickoff and lead the Irish to a loss.

Edited by DE

17 minutes ago, DE said:

Apparently so.  Sounds like O$U didn't hit in parts of spring ball.

@temptation

Do not fear, the "chosen one" will "ascend" right before kickoff and lead the Irish to a loss.

From the looks of it, “the chosen one” needs to hit the stair stepper in the weight room before being handed the keys to being QB1.

39 minutes ago, temptation said:

From the looks of it, “the chosen one” needs to hit the stair stepper in the weight room before being handed the keys to being QB1.

Would have been nice if they could have scheduled Colorado St, Hawaii, or even Tennessee St before playing in the horse shoe. Maybe the lack of "game" tape will help the Irish and TB (very wishful thinking) in week 1. 

Just now, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Would have been nice if they could have scheduled Colorado St, Hawaii, or even Tennessee St before playing in the horse shoe. Maybe the lack of "game" tape will help the Irish and TB (very wishful thinking) in week 1. 

Perhaps.  On the record elsewhere as stating that power 5 teams scheduling marquee non conference games is great for fans…but dumb for athletic programs. 

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Drew Pyne doesn't get the credit he deserves. But he will. Buchner is injury prone, so it's just a matter of time before Pyne comes in and takes them the rest of the way. Buchner can't even walk down a flight of stairs without hurting himself. 

To your earlier question. Notre Dame has the offensive line, quarterback, tight end, and defense to make the game interesting against Ohio State. If Oregon can do it, I'm sure Notre Dame can. Obviously I wouldn't take ND even up in Columbus, but I think they can cover the spread. Ohio State just seems hit or miss to me, probably because you have an average coach with outstanding athletes. 

Footballkings 35-7 at half comment is way off base and is ND bashing plain and simple. Still not sure how a Catholic with ties to Cathedral can hate ND so much. "If Brian Kelly was still there, then Ohio State would be up 35-7 at halftime." Braindead comment. 

31 minutes ago, BTF said:

Drew Pyne doesn't get the credit he deserves. But he will. Buchner is injury prone, so it's just a matter of time before Pyne comes in and takes them the rest of the way. Buchner can't even walk down a flight of stairs without hurting himself. 

To your earlier question. Notre Dame has the offensive line, quarterback, tight end, and defense to make the game interesting against Ohio State. If Oregon can do it, I'm sure Notre Dame can. Obviously I wouldn't take ND even up in Columbus, but I think they can cover the spread. Ohio State just seems hit or miss to me, probably because you have an average coach with outstanding athletes. 

Footballkings 35-7 at half comment is way off base and is ND bashing plain and simple. Still not sure how a Catholic with ties to Cathedral can hate ND so much. "If Brian Kelly was still there, then Ohio State would be up 35-7 at halftime." Braindead comment. 

Oh I know all about being Catholic and hating ND.  Really easy for me.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, temptation said:

Need folks’ thoughts on this graphic.

5F8AB7F5-47E6-43D2-841E-343E6EA4FBBC.png

Two things stick out.

1. How good is Luke Fickell?

2. Is there a coach in America who consistently does less with more than James Franklin? It’s embarrassing that he’s still employed.

Edited by Footballking16

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Two things stick out.

1. How good is Luke Fickell?

2. Is there a coach in America who consistently does less with more than James Franklin? It’s embarrassing that he’s still employed.

My exact first two takeaways…

Im finding myself withdrawing from the college football game, similar to how I withdrew from college basketball over 10 years ago.

IU's overall poor performance soured my interest in college hoops, but the loss of any continuity from one year to the next is what really drove me away from the game.  Rarely could you see a player progress from freshman to senior.  Team rosters endured massive overhauls from one year to the next.  One and done, coaching scandals, diminished rivalries all contributed to the general lack of interest and attention to the game.

Im finding the same issues starting to impact college football.  Early departures to the NFL, the transfer portal, expanding conferences and the loss of rivalries, useless bowl games, the hegemony of the SEC, the impotence of the NCAA, all have contributed to watering down the elements that made college football such a spectacle.  

Maybe Im just getting old.  Or Maybe Indiana's 2-10, 0-9 record last year is to blame. 

Thankfully, we still have a generally pure high school game to fall back on.

Edited by HHF

7 hours ago, HHF said:

Rarely could you see a player progress from freshman to senior.  Team rosters endured massive overhauls from one year to the next.  One and done, coaching scandals, diminished rivalries all contributed to the general lack of interest and attention to the game.

NIL is going to start keeping players in college longer. A non-guaranteed first rd pick has the ability to make more in college than they potentially do in the G-League. The one and done rule has nothing to with the NCAA and is strictly on the NBA, players should be allowed to go professional straight from high school, it would alleviate part of that problem. 

22 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

NIL is going to start keeping players in college longer. A non-guaranteed first rd pick has the ability to make more in college than they potentially do in the G-League. The one and done rule has nothing to with the NCAA and is strictly on the NBA, players should be allowed to go professional straight from high school, it would alleviate part of that problem. 

Ive already checked out.  havent watched an ncaa tournament game in years

On 5/4/2022 at 8:14 AM, Footballking16 said:

I agree 100% on both points.  (staying in school longer due to $$ making ability and high schoolers going directly to the NBA if talented enough)

It feels to me that the college game is becoming more and more like a minor league system....