Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hall of Fame Portage coach Bob "Bubba" Mattix passed

Sad to report the passing of Robert "Bubba" Mattix. An educator and longtime coach associated with Portage football. He first came to Portage in the fall of 1971 when he coached the JV football team. He left after the 1975 school year to coach elsewhere, but he returned in 1984 to Portage as an asst coach and was the Head Coach from 1989-1993. From his Hall of Fame bio, you can see was from Hobart and he coached at a number of places in his career, but Portage is where he started. I'm fortunate to have been on his first team (he missed practice the day his oldest was born, the next day his smile was electric, and everyone was smiling) and also there the day he went into the HoF. I know he made a difference in my life back in the day. He also coached freshmen and junior high hoops for a number of years, touching countless lives with his positive nurturing personality. As a former player said, "He was a great coach for sure, but a genuine human being." One of the truly great ones on and off the field. A legend. Prayers to the Mattix family. RIP Coach.

mattix01.jpg

mattix02.jpg

mattix03.jpg

mattix04.jpg

mattix05.jpg

VERY good man for sure.  I believe he became the PHS AD in 1994 when Coach Buzea took over the football program.  If my memory serves me correctly, Bubba was the PHS AD through the end of the 2005-2006 school year.

19 hours ago, DE said:

VERY good man for sure.  I believe he became the PHS AD in 1994 when Coach Buzea took over the football program.  If my memory serves me correctly, Bubba was the PHS AD through the end of the 2005-2006 school year.

I think Les Kline (Coach of '77 Title Team) was still the AD in 1994. I believe Bubba left Portage after the '93 season to coach OL at Valpo U. My recollection of Bubba was that he was the epitome of the type of guy you wanted coaching High School athletes. Just a great human being that had a passion for coaching. 

• Like 1

Coach Mattix left Portage in 1994 to join the coaching staff at Valparaiso University.  Came back to Portage to serve as athletic director after Larry Casbon retired.  Left Portage and joined coach Buzea's staff at Michigan City between 2007-2009 and join Buzea when he left Michigan City for Homewood Floosmoor.  Recent years he came back to Portage to serve as the coach for the freshman team.  I believe he also joined coach Buzea's staff at Crown Point this season.  Great coach, man and family.

8 hours ago, Tommy said:

Coach Mattix left Portage in 1994 to join the coaching staff at Valparaiso University.  Came back to Portage to serve as athletic director after Larry Casbon retired.  Left Portage and joined coach Buzea's staff at Michigan City between 2007-2009 and join Buzea when he left Michigan City for Homewood Floosmoor.  Recent years he came back to Portage to serve as the coach for the freshman team.  I believe he also joined coach Buzea's staff at Crown Point this season.  Great coach, man and family.

Thank you.  Well said.  

Mr. Mattix was @ West Central from 1975-1978 where he was football and wrestling coach along with being a teacher of science, P.E. and Driver's Ed, then came back in the early 80's for a 1 year stint as AD.  Got this off of the alumi page for West Central.