Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Who would you kick out of conference?

On 1/27/2022 at 7:57 AM, temptation said:

Eh, Butler was better off as the "little guy" who had a chance.  Now they are a Big East bottom feeder and have no chance as their recruiting footprint will never be on par with the Big East/northeast powers.

They went from everyone's favorite Cinderella to an also ran.

Just my opinion.

I am not sure if I buy that totally....a number of small schools in the Big East such as Creighton, Nova, Seton Hall, Xavier, etc that are more than competitive.  Butler does need to decide to invest or get out...that I do agree.  If they don't come back under Matta, then I believe you are correct.

1 hour ago, NE8_Fan said:

Belmont (NE8) move to the ACAC and Angola (NECC) move into the NE8

I like that idea, but I get the feeling that a lot of Bellmont/Decatur people would rather get spanked in the NE8 in football than have to play AC every year because it's embarrassing to lose to their smaller county rival. They dropped AC from their schedule for Heritage.

They'd compete in the ACAC, as it's a weak conference, but they would still lose a few of those games. I just think that community has some odd competitive preferences when they can't come close to competing with other local schools.

I'm sure that the coaching staff would gladly play the ACAC schedule, though. These decisions have to consider all sports - not just football. Bellmont would do very well in the ACAC all-around.

Edited by FlyingHigh

On 1/26/2022 at 11:05 AM, HHF said:

Crushing losses, year after year.  The large majority of WLs games are unwatchable and uncompetitive.  Some are downright scary when you look at the roster imbalance and the huge physicality advantage WL has.  

In 2019, Cass played them Twice in a three week spam.  It was a meat grinder for Cass. They played Western, WL, HH, WL, and Pioneer in a 5 week run.  Western has no business in the Hoosier if they ever want to be player in 4a.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

In 2019, Cass played them Twice in a three week spam.  It was a meat grinder for Cass. They played Western, WL, HH, WL, and Pioneer in a 5 week run.  Western has no business in the Hoosier if they ever want to be player in 4a.  

Where should Western go?

20 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

I always enjoyed the Frankfort-Western game, the season opener for both squads for almost 20 years. Too bad it came to an end.

Do you think the following conference could work relative to competitive balance, all sports, existing rivalries, travel, community support?

Kokomo  4A

Jefferson  6A

Harrison  5A

WLF      3A

McCutcheon 5A

Western  4A

Lebanon  4A

Logansport  4A

4 minutes ago, HHF said:

Do you think the following conference could work relative to competitive balance, all sports, existing rivalries, travel, community support?

Kokomo  4A

Jefferson  6A

Harrison  5A

WLF      3A

McCutcheon 5A

Western  4A

Lebanon  4A

Logansport  4A

If the NCC is a good fit for WL it should work for Western.

1 hour ago, FlyingHigh said:

I like that idea, but I get the feeling that a lot of Bellmont/Decatur people would rather get spanked in the NE8 in football than have to play AC every year because it's embarrassing to lose to their smaller county rival. They dropped AC from their schedule for Heritage.

They'd compete in the ACAC, as it's a weak conference, but they would still lose a few of those games. I just think that community has some odd competitive preferences when they can't come close to competing with other local schools.

I'm sure that the coaching staff would gladly play the ACAC schedule, though. These decisions have to consider all sports - not just football. Bellmont would do very well in the ACAC all-around.

Not sure how much picking up Heritage will do for them as I'm sensing a resurgence for the Patriots under Coach Kolkman and expectations are high in that program for next year.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NE8_Fan said:

Not sure how much picking up Heritage will do for them as I'm sensing a resurgence for the Patriots under Coach Kolkman and expectations are high in that program for next year.

I agree. They will likely lose to Heritage, but it'll feel better to the Bellmont community because they aren't losing to AC.

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

I don't know, but they should take Twin Lakes with them.

Twin Lakes JV baseball has played Harrison ... Western plays baseball both JV and varsity against Harrison.  My son says that Western has a pretty decent baseball team when they play them.

On 5/20/2022 at 12:28 PM, foxbat said:

Twin Lakes JV baseball has played Harrison ... Western plays baseball both JV and varsity against Harrison.  My son says that Western has a pretty decent baseball team when they play them.

Western is 21-2 this year in baseball. Their top 3 pitchers are Louisville, Purdue, and Duke commits. Always solid in baseball, wrestling, and football. Hoops has been so so. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 7:57 AM, temptation said:

Eh, Butler was better off as the "little guy" who had a chance.  Now they are a Big East bottom feeder and have no chance as their recruiting footprint will never be on par with the Big East/northeast powers.

They went from everyone's favorite Cinderella to an also ran.

Just my opinion.

Since this post Collier surprised everyone with a home run hire in Thad Matta.  All but one of the current roster stayed, and he was able to recruit to fill the holes to compete next year.  He also was able to hire 3 great assistants and support staff. He didn't do that on the current budget.  Someone up the ladder finally saw the light. Butler increased it's BBL budget by millions.  They will be an upper half team in the Big East consistently with Matta. 

44 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Since this post Collier surprised everyone with a home run hire in Thad Matta.  All but one of the current roster stayed, and he was able to recruit to fill the holes to compete next year.  He also was able to hire 3 great assistants and support staff. He didn't do that on the current budget.  Someone up the ladder finally saw the light. Butler increased it's BBL budget by millions.  They will be an upper half team in the Big East consistently with Matta. 

I’ll wait and see.

Side note (but sort of related…):

How in the hell does Patrick Ewing still have a job?