Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Colts 2022

Muda69

Let us start with the obvious question:  What to do with Carson Wentz?  

Mr. Doyel at the Indy Star has his opinion, and he pulls no punches:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2022/01/19/colts-pacers-improve-replacing-carson-wentz-trading-myles-turner/9172823002/

Note:  Commentary is behind a paywall

This could be good. No, really. With Carson Wentz playing his way out of town, and Myles Turner pouting his way out, we stand here today at the precipice of something historic for our two professional franchises. If they do this right, the Indianapolis Colts are about to get a lot better. So are the Indiana Pacers.

If they do it wrong?

Well.

That’s the downside to change, but today I’m not hearing it. Well, other than to share this story:

Once upon a time I had a Chevy Cavalier with some years on it. Sold that thing to the highest bidder, which wasn’t much, and got a used 1986 Toyota MR2. Remember those cute little things? Two seater, with a hood that went down at a sharp angle – looked like a wedge of cheddar, only mine was cherry red – and could turn corners like a champ. Driving that thing was probably how it felt to be Barry Sanders on the football field. Short, compact, crazy acceleration and balance.

Then the power windows broke. Both sides. Then the air-conditioning went out. Did I mention I was living in Fort Lauderdale at the time?

Boy did I miss that Chevy Cavalier.

Are we going to miss Carson Wentz? Not a chance. Put me back in that MR2 sweat box before putting me in a press box looking down on Wentz, that piece of plastic the Colts recycled from Philadelphia’s trash bin.

For the Pacers, moving on from Turner will be easy compared to what faces the Colts as they try to extricate themselves from Carson Wentz’s flypaper-coated No. 2 jersey.

Wentz cannot be traded. Not with that $128 million contract. Not with that 10-cent head. Who’s the dude on the dime, anyway? Says here it’s Franklin D. Roosevelt. I haven’t seen one in months, but it’s fun to imagine the silhouette of Carson J. Wentz.

The Colts will have to swallow a whole lot of money, and even more pride, to move on from Wentz. If they cut him before March 19, they’d owe him $15 million. If they cut him after March 19, they’d owe him $28 million. If he’s still here in September, they’ll owe Colts fans an apology.

Colts owner Jim Irsay has said there will be change, and surely he’s not talking about a new No. 2 receiver behind Michael Pittman Jr., or a new left tackle for Eric Fisher. We already know about those changes. GM Chris Ballard and coach Frank Reich are coming back, and unless defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus gets hired by the Bears, Texans or Jaguars as head coach, he’s back too. What’s left to change? The quarterback is left.

The market is a lot like Wentz, though. It’s shallow. There’s, like, nothing there. Teddy Bridgewater doesn’t count. Neither does Andy Dalton. According to the experts at Pro Football Focus, the highest-rated quarterback on the free agent market is… wait for it…

Jacoby Brissett.

Right.

Other options exist. Derek Carr could be available in trade from Las Vegas, which is looking for a new coach and general manager, making this a logical time to start over. Baker Mayfield could be available in trade from Cleveland, and history suggests the Browns might actually be dumb enough to take Carson Wentz as part of the deal.

The quarterback class in the 2022 NFL Draft is thin, and the Colts don’t have a first-rounder thanks to the Carson Wentz trade. He’s like the jelly-of-the-month club, you know that? He's the gift that gives the whole year ‘round.

Carson Wentz needs to go. Myles Turner wants to go. That puts the Colts and Pacers on the precipice of something very dangerous, but very exciting.

Look up to the sky. See the bat signal? Help is on the way. Or it better be. Because if the Pacers or Colts keep either of these guys, that won’t be P. That won't be P at all.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Offense wins in modern day football.  Quarterback is the most important position in all of sports.  Do what it takes.

I know it is a different era, but remember the Colts traded John Hand and Andre Rison to get the first pick and take Jeff George many years ago. Have to be careful to not give up too much. 

This article is premium content, and Muda should know better than to post it.  Other than that, Doyel's take on things is always over the top. But I agree with getting rid of Wentz.  As for the Pacers, meh. The best they want to do is get in to the playoffs for a 1st round loss.

• Disdain 1

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

I know it is a different era, but remember the Colts traded John Hand and Andre Rison to get the first pick and take Jeff George many years ago. Have to be careful to not give up too much. 

Gotta strike while the iron is hot.  Russell Wilson is not Jeff George and you don't want to waste away Jonathan Taylor's best years behind an unproven QB.

Just my two cents...

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Gotta strike while the iron is hot.  Russell Wilson is not Jeff George and you don't want to waste away Jonathan Taylor's best years behind an unproven QB.

Just my two cents...

I agree, but do think they need to limit what they give up. But I mentioned Wilson a couple weeks ago as an option. I think he has a few good years left in him at least. I have not seen much of him this year, but it seems he avoids the hard hits. 

On 1/19/2022 at 12:24 PM, Staxawax said:

This article is premium content, and Muda should know better than to post it.

Report me then. I view it as akin to purchasing a newspaper, reading it, then leaving it on the table after I leave so others can read it.  What's the real difference?

Edited by Muda69
  • Like 1

Instead of some retread or never really been much kind of guy, I think they should look to the draft before looking at Foles. I like the Ridder kid out of Cincy. He can play the traditional pocket passer role, but is athletic enough to extend plays and even run if needed. There is a lot of hype around Pickett, but the guys that usually get that much hype fizzle out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

Instead of some retread or never really been much kind of guy, I think they should look to the draft before looking at Foles. I like the Ridder kid out of Cincy. He can play the traditional pocket passer role, but is athletic enough to extend plays and even run if needed. There is a lot of hype around Pickett, but the guys that usually get that much hype fizzle out. 

Please god no.

19 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Report me then. I view it as akin to purchasing a newspaper, reading it, then leaving it on the table after I leave so others can read it.  What's the real difference?

Thank you.  I appreciate it. 

18 hours ago, gonzoron said:

A has-been who never really was. He has thrown half as many interceptions as he has TD's. Wentz isn't good enough, who would think his backup would be?

A Super Bowl champ has been to you. Respect the man. 

• 1 month later...

I'm glad to see Wentz gone.  He's never been a team player, and he probably will never be a team player.  I'm just glad the Colts got something in return for him and the Commanders are playing his salary.

Now it's time to find a real QB leader, someone who will make the team better.  It's not gonna be easy.

2 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I'm glad to see Wentz gone.  He's never been a team player, and he probably will never be a team player.  I'm just glad the Colts got something in return for him and the Commanders are playing his salary.

Now it's time to find a real QB leader, someone who will make the team better.  It's not gonna be easy.

How was he not a team player?

The answer to whom the Colts' next starting QB will be won't have an easy answer. 

Veterans - Fitzpatrick, Foles, Bridgewater, Winston, and Mariota. Fitzpatrick is too old and is nothing more than a stop gap. Foles has never really been a full time starter. Bridgewater is average at best, but also isn't a long term solution. Winston possibly presents the best upside, but he has never been very accurate and makes far too many bad decisions. Mariota reminds me a bit of Carson Wentz. He will continue to intrigue teams due to his pre-injury history, but don't be fooled.

Young with potential - Trubisky. There are some that think that maybe Trubisky just wasn't a fit in Chicago and that he can flourish in a different system and with new coaches. He might be worth a flyer for the right price, but I doubt that he will come cheap. The Colts should stay away unless they can sign him for a cheap, one year prove it deal, laced with incentives. I would stay away.

Familiar with the system - Brissett. This might end up happening, barring Indy giving up precious draft capital for Garoppolo or Carr. 

Draft. There aren't any 2nd or 3rd round QBs that I feel that the Colts should take, unless one drops to them. If the Colts do plan on taking a rookie passer in the 2nd round, I highly recommend signing one of the top free agents as well.

20 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Like DE asked, please clarify this statement with some actual basis....and quoting Doyel who hated him from Day 1 for his Wentz' covid vaccine stance doesn't count.  Unless you have connections to the Colts locker room, be careful buying everything members of the media may say....

Darius Leonard seems to have a different feeling.....

image.png.d84cf558b192159104eb2eeca2dedd69.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AG said:

The answer to whom the Colts' next starting QB will be won't have an easy answer. 

Veterans - Fitzpatrick, Foles, Bridgewater, Winston, and Mariota. Fitzpatrick is too old and is nothing more than a stop gap. Foles has never really been a full time starter. Bridgewater is average at best, but also isn't a long term solution. Winston possibly presents the best upside, but he has never been very accurate and makes far too many bad decisions. Mariota reminds me a bit of Carson Wentz. He will continue to intrigue teams due to his pre-injury history, but don't be fooled.

Young with potential - Trubisky. There are some that think that maybe Trubisky just wasn't a fit in Chicago and that he can flourish in a different system and with new coaches. He might be worth a flyer for the right price, but I doubt that he will come cheap. The Colts should stay away unless they can sign him for a cheap, one year prove it deal, laced with incentives. I would stay away.

Familiar with the system - Brissett. This might end up happening, barring Indy giving up precious draft capital for Garoppolo or Carr. 

Draft. There aren't any 2nd or 3rd round QBs that I feel that the Colts should take, unless one drops to them. If the Colts do plan on taking a rookie passer in the 2nd round, I highly recommend signing one of the top free agents as well.

I totally agree....how does one attract an existing solid QB without a starting LT, lack of a speedy #1 receiver, and now no experienced TE?  Not to mention what do the Colts offer?  They have been hammered giving up draft picks...nothing this year in the 1st round and is giving up more future 1st round picks the answer?  What can they offer to get a Jimmy G or D. Carr?  Very little unless they offer up their current few studs.

Andrew Luck retiring has left a huge hole that will continue to haunt the Colts for years to come.....

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Like DE asked, please clarify this statement with some actual basis....and quoting Doyel who hated him from Day 1 for his Wentz' covid vaccine stance doesn't count.  Unless you have connections to the Colts locker room, be careful buying everything members of the media may say....

Darius Leonard seems to have a different feeling.....

image.png.d84cf558b192159104eb2eeca2dedd69.png

Are sure that it wasn't Mr. Leonard's public relation manager who posted this?

8 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Are sure that it wasn't Mr. Leonard's public relation manager who posted this?

He sounds confident he'll be back for his 5th year with the Colts. After seeing this, management may think he wants to go with Wentz.