Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Colts 2022

Muda69

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Not according to the Browns....in fact they met with Watson in Houston yesterday. 

Could be a happy ending for everyone involved. That means Garopollo is still available for the Colts. I think he's their best bet at this point.

• Like 1
  • Kill me now 1

Baker Mayfield’s not as bad as you think: https://deadspin.com/baker-mayfield-s-not-as-bad-as-you-think-1848668336

f there’s one thing you can rely on with the Colts, it’s that they’ll have a high draft pick as their quarterback.

Last year, it was Carson Wentz, the No. 2 selection from 2016, after he was traded from the Eagles to replace the retired Philip Rivers, 2004’s No. 4 pick. Rivers came after the sudden retirement of Andrew Luck (No. 1, 2012) left the Colts with a mere third-rounder, Jacoby Brissett, as their starter in 2019.

Before Luck, of course, there was 1998 No. 1 pick Peyton Manning. The Colts have also had top-five picks under center with Jeff George (No. 1, 1990), and going back to their Baltimore days, Art Schlichter (No. 4, 1982), Bert Jones (No. 2, 1973), and Earl Morrall (No. 2 by the 49ers, 1956). Hysterically, Johnny Unitas was a ninth-round pick (by the Steelers) out of Louisville in 1955.

So, if Baker Mayfield winds up in Indianapolis after his situation soured in Cleveland, the top pick from the 2018 draft will fit right into the franchise’s history. But that’s not the only reason that Indianapolis is a good choice for the 2017 Heisman Trophy winner, and Mayfield a good choice for the Colts.

For one thing, it’s ludicrous how much of the blame Mayfield has gotten for Cleveland’s collapse last season. While he didn’t have a good year by any stretch of the imagination, Mayfield was hurt almost the entire season. While the injury was to his non-throwing shoulder, suffered in Week 2 and aggravated in Week 6, it was obvious that Mayfield wasn’t the same down the stretch.

In his first six starts of 2021, Mayfield was 116-for-173 passing (67 percent), for 245.7 yards per game with six touchdowns and three interceptions.

In his remaining eight starts, Mayfield was 137-for-245 passing (56 percent), for 192 yards per game with 11 touchdowns, 10 interceptions, and 25 sacks.

It doesn’t help that Mayfield’s relationship with Odell Beckham Jr. disintegrated, and that Beckham wound up winning a Super Bowl with the Rams while Mayfield and the Browns missed the playoffs. But Cleveland’s mess isn’t the Colts’ concern. Indianapolis just needs an upgrade over Wentz — not dissimilar to how the Rams, last offseason, sought an upgrade over Wentz’s top-of-the-draft mate, 2016 No. 1 pick Jared Goff, got that upgrade with Matthew Stafford, and won the Super Bowl.

Wentz completed 62.4 percent of his passes for 3,563 yards last season, with 27 touchdown passes and seven interceptions. That was after leading the NFL with 15 interceptions in 2020, and throwing 50 picks (with 113 touchdowns) in 68 games for the Eagles.

Mayfield’s career TD-INT ratio is 92-56, though it should be noted that he put up a 26-8 in 2020, when he led the Browns to their first playoff appearance since 2002, and 6-3 in the first six games of last season — games in which the Browns went 3-3, with a close loss to eventual AFC champion Kansas City, a shootout defeat against the Chargers, and getting steamrolled by a Cardinals team that at that point was undefeated and looking like the best team on the planet.

The Colts also know that they don’t have to rely on Mayfield to win a ton of games for them, because Jonathan Taylor is the core of their offense, and as such, Indianapolis was one of eight teams in the NFL to run the ball more than Cleveland did last year. Looking back, that may have been some of the source of Beckham’s frustration. With Nick Chubb in the Browns’ backfield, and Jarvis Landry and David Njoku to throw the ball to, no wonder Beckham only had 34 targets in six games with the Browns. While that was only a little lower than Beckham’s six-a-game target rate in Los Angeles, he also scored five touchdowns for the Rams, and it’s easier to take a backseat to Cooper Kupp when he’s clearly the top receiver in the league, than it is to acknowledge that Landry — his LSU teammate who was drafted a round later in 2014 — had surpassed him.

The Colts have a budding star receiver in Michael Pittman, and while they need to either bring back T.Y. Hilton or make another addition to the receiving corps, there won’t be nearly as much drama for Mayfield if he goes to Indianapolis. He’ll be able to hand the ball off to Taylor, connect with Pittman and tight end Mo Alie-Cox, and trust in a better defense than he could in Cleveland.

While Frank Reich couldn’t get things to work with Wentz, whom he had faith in from their days together in Philadelphia, the Colts still have had a top-10 scoring offense in three of Reich’s four years at the helm, with the one exception being Brissett’s season as the starter, when Indianapolis was still a respectable 16th.

Mayfield doesn’t need to be much better to be a winning quarterback in the NFL. The Colts don’t need a much better quarterback to get back to the top of the AFC South after stumbling to 9-8 with Wentz. And Cleveland needs to be rid of Mayfield yesterday. It’s the best fit for everyone, and it should happen.

A compelling argument for Mr. Mayfield becoming a Colt?

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Baker Mayfield’s not as bad as you think: https://deadspin.com/baker-mayfield-s-not-as-bad-as-you-think-1848668336

A compelling argument for Mr. Mayfield becoming a Colt?

Not according to the  Browns. He's not going anywhere.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/03/baker-mayfield-has-ask-the-browns-to-trade-him-and-they-tell-his-agents-they-will-not-accommodate-his-request.html

2 hours ago, gonzoron said:

I wouldn't be surprised then if Mr. Mayfield holds out and doesn't report to training camp.

14 hours ago, gonzoron said:

As long as he doesn't report to 56th St, I'll be satisfied.

Mr. Winston then?:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2022/03/17/colts-jameis-winston-viable-but-risky-option-quarterback/7079528001/

(note: story is behind a paywall)

The Indianapolis Colts' quarterback search could be ticking down, so long as it is following a clock reactive to Deshaun Watson's.

A certain passer caught in the middle has their attention.

Jameis Winston is in talks with the Colts and the Saints about a contract, USA TODAY reported Thursday.

"I still view myself as a starter in this league and that's what I'm looking for," Winston told USA TODAY.

Interest between Winston and Indianapolis has existed throughout the week as the Colts look to find a replacement for Carson Wentz. Winston is one of two free agents they have looked into, with the other being Marcus Mariota, an ironic twist given that they went Nos. 1 and 2 overall in the 2016 draft.

26 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

He's certainly a possibility if he's fully recovered from the ACL injury. He's a big, strong guy, but prone to throwing interceptions also. It seems like the Saints plan to keep him though.

2 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Mariota?  Who in your opinion will land in town to QB?

I don't really have an opinion on who will land in town to QB. I have opinions on who I think it should be, but the Colts aren't going to listen to me.

My opinions: Fitzpatrick and Ryan too old for long term solution. Mayfield injured, no guarantee he'll recover from torn labrum(Luck didn't). Mariota also injury prone, plus I'm not a fan of running QB's in the NFL, they just don't last. My top two are Garopollo or possibly Winston. That's about as good as the Colts can hope for unless they trade for Brady for a year.

On 3/19/2022 at 10:58 PM, gonzoron said:

I don't really have an opinion on who will land in town to QB. I have opinions on who I think it should be, but the Colts aren't going to listen to me.

My opinions: Fitzpatrick and Ryan too old for long term solution. Mayfield injured, no guarantee he'll recover from torn labrum(Luck didn't). Mariota also injury prone, plus I'm not a fan of running QB's in the NFL, they just don't last. My top two are Garopollo or possibly Winston. That's about as good as the Colts can hope for unless they trade for Brady for a year.

I hear you...but its fun as a fan to speculate.

I guess my top wish would be Garoppolo.  I am not overly excited about any of the options, but it is what it is...

Looks like someone has made an offer for Jimmy G.....reported less than an hour ago

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jimmy-garoppolo-trade-rumors-49ers-have-been-offered-two-second-round-picks-for-veteran-qb-per-report/

• Like 1

Indy Star reporting:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2022/03/21/colts-land-matt-ryan-trading-third-round-pick-falcons/9454899002/

The Colts hope they’ve finished construction on the bridge that leads to their next franchise quarterback.

Matt Ryan is supposed to be the finishing piece.

Indianapolis traded a third-round pick on Monday to the Falcons to get Ryan, a source told IndyStar; the former MVP and franchise icon Atlanta was ready to give up in order to complete its pursuit for disgraced Houston quarterback Deshaun Watson, who ultimately chose the Browns.

By choosing Ryan, the Colts got back on the road they spent two years traveling after Andrew Luck’s shocking retirement on the brink of the 2019 season. Indianapolis first turned to Jacoby Brissett out of necessity, then upgraded to Philip Rivers in the hopes that the long-time Chargers legend would give them two years to find the franchise quarterback the team covets.

So the best the Colts could get was a 37-year old?  Sounds like Mr. Rivers all over again...............

Edited by Muda69
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Indy Star reporting:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2022/03/21/colts-land-matt-ryan-trading-third-round-pick-falcons/9454899002/

So the best the Colts could get was a 37-year old?  Sounds like Mr. Rivers all over again...............

Reich, Rivers, Wentz, Ryan..............as I saw a friend say somewhere else: "Lather, rinse, repeat"

5 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

2016 & 18 were great, but other than that....solid, not great

Lots of yards, but not a ton of TD's.  Hard to get excited to sprint to the ticket office......

image.png.e6db40eef79fc7afa9f02b65754b88ef.png

BuT hE's NoT cArSoN wEnTz

17 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Looks like we have a Washington Commanders fan in our midst. Might want to check the franchise management history.

They don’t have any history you d** ****. Now if you want to talk about the Washington Redskins and their management history, you’d have a point. Thought such an intelligent guy such as yourself would know that, but I guess not. 🤷