Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Youth football needs to start embracing rugby more adamantly

5 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

I don't know RebelDad or the Roncalli Horde.  The Roncalli folks I know are all excellent people.

You were not here during the GID's glory days, during the public vs. p/p wars.  Not all Roncalli folk from that era were excellent people.

5 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

I do have a legitimate question that I am hoping you can help me understand.  If you are so adamant against football until the age of 18 in the name of safety, why are you so vocal and spend so much time on a high school football forum?  I have read your numerous posts pertaining to high school football that have nothing to do with safety and it would seem that you are very interested and motivated by the high school game.  It seems that you spend time on both sides of the fence.

Rome wasn't built in a day.  Might as well enjoy the carnage while I can.

6 hours ago, Grover said:

Do you play? 

5 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Punishing players for mistakes is a huge part of coaching but not all. Occasionally you would need to try to correct the behavior. So I am not sure 3 series would be the proper punishment.  I would go straight to permanent benching for bad tackling form until the player can do it right. 

Daily ‘Bull in the Ring’ sessions and 1v1 live tackling drills should do it. Once the player proves he’s tough enough, then about 15-20 rounds of Oklahoma drill and he should be ready to go. 

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

On 1/26/2022 at 8:35 AM, Muda69 said:

But is there ever punitive action doled out by high school coaches for incorrect tackling techniques?  Unless the the player who got tackled is injured (most likely a concussion)  or the tackler is flagged by the officials for some reason I would bet not.  Maybe just a feeble comment during a film session.  After all in my above scenario the player made the play that won the game, right?

And are these children made 100% clear of the risk involved?  Not just risks during a practice or game, but risks to their future?

I already answered the question. Coaches take action pointing out the flaws and even drilling proper technique (not just feeble comments). In your eyes should they pull out a leather strap. Correct form is taught and drilled over and over. Even if the play is not flagged or player is not hurt coaches will still correct poor tackling form and they drill it ad nauseum. Yes the CHILDREN are made 100% clear of the risk involved. Not a practice went by I didn't mention injury risk when coaching youth.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:45 PM, Muda69 said:

There you go Mr. Grover.  Getting closer!

I asked simple questions in this thread.  I find it puzzling why they can't be answered simply and directly.

Just because you don't like the answer you are given doesn't mean your question wasn't answered. That is on you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

In your eyes should they pull out a leather strap. 

No, not at all.  Time on the bench would suffice.

On 1/28/2022 at 3:14 PM, DE said:

Nobody is forcing anyone to play, which is great.

I would not go that far.