Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Amid flurry of transgender restricting bills, proposal on school sports likely to advance

Muda69

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2022/01/20/transgender-bill-school-sports-likely-advance-indiana/6527878001/

Indiana lawmakers are pushing for a bill that would restrict transgender girls from participating in  sports.

Already there are signs that the bill will advance through the legislative process. House Bill 1041, which would prohibit students assigned male at birth from participating in a girls' sport, is slated to be heard in committee on Monday, House Education Committee chair Bob Behning, R-Indianapolis, confirmed on Wednesday.

At least half a dozen bills were filed at the start of the 2022 legislative session that could impact transgender Hoosiers, including bills that would ban gender affirming medical care for minors, limit which bathrooms transgender Hoosiers could use, require the state to collect data on gender affirming surgeries and prohibit gender from being changed on a birth certificate. 

It's not unusual for such bills to be filed in Indiana, but most transgender or LGBTQ+ related bills have failed to advance in the years after Indiana received negative national attention for its Religious Freedom Restoration Act in 2015.

That appears to not be the case this year, amid a flurry of bills targeting social issues, from legislation limiting what teachers can say about race in the classroom to a bill nixing the handgun permit requirement. 

Impact of sports bill 

Indiana is following in the steps of dozens of other states that filed legislation in 2021 to ban transgender girls from playing girls sports, amid national fights over transgender equality issues. Even U.S. Sen. Mike Braun, R-Indiana, weighed in on an editorial last year, warning that allowing transgender girls to play on girls teams would be "robbing young women of athletic scholarships."

A similar Texas bill just went into effect this week. 

Kit Malone, an advocacy strategist for the ACLU of Indiana, said the fears of proponents are overblown. House Bill 1041 isn't targeting elite athletes; it's targeting kids who just want to play on a team with their friends, she said.

"(House Bill) 1041 would make it illegal for trans children to play on teams with their friends," said Malone. "Occasionally, when one trans woman succeeds, she is used as evidence that cisgender women are going to be taken out of those sports, that they're gonna be out-competed by a horde of trans women. We just have not seen that happening."

On Wednesday, Behning told IndyStar that a majority of House Republicans support the bill. Behning said he thinks it makes sense and deserves discussion.

It's just, how do we make sure that… we're playing fairly in terms of athletics,” Behning said.

Likewise Micah Clark, executive director of the socially conservative American Family Association of Indiana, argued that girls could lose a scholarship to "someone who's a biological male."

Bill author Rep. Michelle Davis, R-Whiteland, did not respond to requests for comment.

The family of a transgender seventh-grader filed a lawsuit against Martinsville Schools last year over a similar issue. According to court documents, the family alleges that John R. Wooden Middle School unfairly denied him access to the boys' bathroom, blocked him from participating in boys' sports and refused to call him by male pronouns.

It will be interesting to see where this legislation goes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

IHSAA has rules in it’s by-laws. IGA needs to stay in its lane. I have sent messages to my rep and senator. 

Can you please point me to those rules in their by-laws regarding transgender "girls" participating in sports?  Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen for the IHSAA.

51 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Can you please point me to those rules in their by-laws regarding transgender "girls" participating in sports?  Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen for the IHSAA.

https://myihsaa-prod-ams.azurewebsites.net/api/resource-library/categories/07d0f399-73b3-421c-a407-08d5e7b1cb1f/documents/94d527da-68e3-4f23-734b-08d7b55fcb06/file

6 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Thank you.  I wonder how many of these transgender applications have been filed with the IHSAA so far.  

You're welcome. Evidently several: https://www.southbendtribune.com/story/news/2020/10/31/ew-ihsaa-physical-form-asks-athletes-gender-identity/43957889/

Faulkens said there have been no issues with the rules and the process has been a smooth one for the transgender athletes competing in various sports throughout Indiana.

“We have kids who have made the change and who have competed (on teams) different than their birth gender,” said Faulkens. “I think we’ve done a good job with the issues that have been raised because there have been no complaints.

• 3 weeks later...

Indiana bill banning transgender girls from playing girls sports passes key vote

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/education/2022/02/16/indiana-legislature-transgender-school-sports-ban-house-bill-1041-vote/6814374001/

A controversial bill to ban transgender girls from playing girls sports in school has passed a key committee, signaling it's on its way to becoming law.

The Senate education committee passed House Bill 1041 Wednesday 8-3 along party lines. It moves next to the Senate floor. 

Two amendments were offered by Sen. JD Ford, D-Indianapolis, that would have stripped the provisions of the bill. They were defeated, also along party lines. 

Last week, lawmakers heard hours of testimony from individuals on both sides of the bill. There are supporters of the bill, who are concerned what impact the participation of transgender girls may have on girls’ sports. They say transgender girls may have unfair physical advantages that would make it harder to cisgender girls to secure a spot or compete on an even playing field.

Those opposing the bill, though, say there are already transgender kids playing school sports. The bill’s author, Rep. Michelle Davis, said she’s aware of one case of a cisgender girl being impacted by the participation of a transgender girl. There are more than 60,000 girls playing school sports.

Transgender kids don’t pose a threat to girls’ sports, say advocates for the LGBTQ community. Instead, they say this legislation would pose a threat to the mental health of transgender kids, many of whom already struggle to fit in and feel accepted. 

This story will be updated.

I have not read the text of the bill, but wonder how the state government can enforce such a ban for private and parochial schools?   Sounds like a constitutional fight ready to happen.

On 1/25/2022 at 6:09 PM, PHJIrish said:

There's never mention of female to male transgenders participating in male sports.🤨

https://www.outsports.com/trans/2021/11/5/22764548/luc-esquivel-tennessee-golf-trans-athletes-aclu-lambda-legal

On 2/16/2022 at 2:49 PM, Muda69 said:

Indiana bill banning transgender girls from playing girls sports passes key vote

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/education/2022/02/16/indiana-legislature-transgender-school-sports-ban-house-bill-1041-vote/6814374001/

I have not read the text of the bill, but wonder how the state government can enforce such a ban for private and parochial schools?   Sounds like a constitutional fight ready to happen.

Classic cancel culture and victim mentality by those in favor of this Bill.

Just now, Bash Riprock said:

........or the failure by some to understand basic genetics and biology and recognition of a level playing field

Yes Sir. Logic and Science is lost on some. 

8 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

That's exactly what I said.

Nice try. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bash Riprock said:

........or the failure by some to understand basic genetics and biology and recognition of a level playing field

Or the failure by others to see that science, genetics and biology are constantly evolving. You'd think someone involved in the medical field would realize that.

I'll stick with my cancel culture and victim mentality assertion. 

32 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Or the failure by others to see that science, genetics and biology are constantly evolving. You'd think someone involved in the medical field would realize that.

I'll stick with my cancel culture and victim mentality assertion. 

Medical field?  You keep making comments and assumptions about me that are grossly inaccurate.  Not only is it a tad creepy, but ignorant.

Now unless you are a biologist or a geneticist with some very compelling science regarding basic reproductive theories that have been proved wrong, then you don't have anything other than a political opinion, which as you commonly remind this forum, that those are best served somewhere else other than the football threads.

Since I refuse to follow you any further down this rabbit hole, you ride your own horse and believe the way you want.  Just realize others may not desire the kool-aid you are offering.

Edited by Bash Riprock
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DE said:

Genetic DNA can be changed?

I never said that. Take a reading comprehension course, still throwing that pass isn't enough anymore to remain a teacher.

10 minutes ago, DE said:

Go turn on CNN or MSNBC to get your next talking point/s

I don't watch cable news.

11 minutes ago, DE said:

And for the love of everything holy, stop searching minors on FB.

I'm not a lover of everything holy, and I haven't searched for anyone on FB. Try again.

6 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

which as you commonly remind this forum, that those are best served somewhere else other than the football threads

Please provide examples where I have 'commonly' done this.

You keep making comments and assumptions about me that are grossly inaccurate.  Not only is it a tad creepy, but ignorant.

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

Please provide examples where I have 'commonly' done this.

You keep making comments and assumptions about me that are grossly inaccurate.  Not only is it a tad creepy, but ignorant.

Wow!  7 hours after the post, this is still in your head.  It's family time.  Go enjoy your favorite beverage, snuggle with your significant other and check out a movie.

I'm not going to put much time in this, but attached just a few examples.  

Seriously, have a nice weekend.

Gonzo 1.PNG

Gonzo 2.PNG

8 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Wow!  7 hours after the post, this is still in your head.  It's family time.  Go enjoy your favorite beverage, snuggle with your significant other and check out a movie.

I'm not going to put much time in this, but attached just a few examples.  

Seriously, have a nice weekend.

Gonzo 1.PNG

Gonzo 2.PNG

I had a nice long nap. Had to wake up to watch some 'rasslin.

So, twice in a year, both referencing subjects that should, in fact, have been in the OOB. Got it.

Edited by gonzoron