Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Amid flurry of transgender restricting bills, proposal on school sports likely to advance

Muda69

15 hours ago, gonzoron said:

I had a nice long nap. 

So, twice in a year, both referencing subjects that should, in fact, have been in the OOB. Got it.

GID is so fortunate to have you as a volunteer “hall monitor”. Guiding people to appropriate chat areas, correcting spelling/grammar, badgering people for donations. Some would call this compulsive behavior, but other’s may label these repeated actions as passion. 

Hope those long naps are few and far between….GID needs you!!  Keep on truckin’!  😄

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

GID is so fortunate to have you as a volunteer “hall monitor”.

There are quite a few who help guide those who stray to the proper Forum. A quick search of the letters OOB will show this. @foxbat, @Irishman, @Bobref, @DE, @Obi-Wan, @FarmerFran, @oldtimeqb just to name a few from the first 2 search pages.

4 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Guiding people to appropriate chat areas, correcting spelling/grammar, badgering people for donations.

Wow, all of this learned since last June. Creepy indeed. 

6 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

GID needs you!!

I know.

35 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

There are quite a few who help guide those who stray to the proper Forum. A quick search of the letters OOB will show this. @foxbat, @Irishman, @Bobref, @DE, @Obi-Wan, @FarmerFran, @oldtimeqb just to name a few from the first 2 search pages.

Wow, all of this learned since last June. Creepy indeed. 

I know.

I was a guest for many months....debating to join.  So I had more than ample time to observe your "behavior".  Is due diligence creepy?  Maybe to some.

But you are way too modest.....you stand alone when it comes to "guiding", correcting and shaking down people for $$.  You set the bar.

But hey, please get in the last word, get that nap in recharging your batteries.....you've got work to do here....and we are all so very thankful.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

So I had more than ample time to observe your "behavior".

I'm flattered to have a stalker, but yes, it's creepy.

13 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

But hey, please get in the last word, get that nap in recharging your batteries.

No nap today. It's a wrestling weekend.

Thank You For Your Support GIFs | Tenor

What is the name of the Bill? I want to read this thing. I teach Government so this as well as HB 1134 could be good classroom. In terms of the actual topic at hand I will withhold comment until I actually read the bill and cross reference with the by law the IHSAA has put into place. 

4 hours ago, Obi-Wan said:

What is the name of the Bill? I want to read this thing. I teach Government so this as well as HB 1134 could be good classroom. In terms of the actual topic at hand I will withhold comment until I actually read the bill and cross reference with the by law the IHSAA has put into place. 

http://iga.in.gov/legislative/2022/bills/house/1041

It really makes no sense for the GA to be involved in this right now. I believe that the bylaws placed in by the IHSAA are adequate. Between this and HB 1134 the GA has really been in the spotlight recently and how much of this legislation is from outside groups going over the schools because they are not getting what they want?  This is a legitimate question because I know that HB 1134 was due to an outside group so maybe this bill is much the same thing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Obi-Wan said:

It really makes no sense for the GA to be involved in this right now. I believe that the bylaws placed in by the IHSAA are adequate. Between this and HB 1134 the GA has really been in the spotlight recently and how much of this legislation is from outside groups going over the schools because they are not getting what they want?  This is a legitimate question because I know that HB 1134 was due to an outside group so maybe this bill is much the same thing. 

By outside group, do you mean parents?

11 minutes ago, DE said:

By outside group, do you mean parents?

Yes, but I am not lumping all parents into this. I believe that HB 1134 was authored when a group called Mothers for Liberty went to their reps when they were not being heard by school boards. That's is what I am wondering about if the pressure from parent organizations not getting anywhere with schools, or even the IHSAA are leading to this. I teach government so for me I am neither for or against this it is a wonderful teaching opportunity to show how the process works. So me asking about outside groups is not a bash on parents I am curious if there is a named organization reached out to lawmakers. 

Edited by Obi-Wan

Probably at the point to move this to @Muda69's forum??? 

My only comment regarding this and the other bill mentioned is that there is no coincidence that bills across multiple states are written using practically the exact same language, and included the exact same dates for deadlines. A few details and even the date in Indiana changed. But the fact is the driving force behind the for profit prison system, ALEC is also driving this as they have with every "reform" to education that has taken place in the last 15-20 years. 

• Like 3

Bill has passed the Indiana legislature, on it's way to Mr. Holcomb's desk:  https://www.indystar.com/story/news/education/2022/03/01/eric-holcomb-transgender-girls-sports-ban-indiana-senate-bill-1041/6927994001/

The Indiana General Assembly on Tuesday passed a bill largely along party lines 32-18 that would ban transgender girls from playing girls school sports.

House Bill 1041 now heads to Gov. Eric Holcomb to consider. Holcomb hasn't explicitly said if he'll sign the bill but did signal support for the measure when asked about it during a press availability last week. 

"I agree adamantly that boys should be playing boys sports and girls should be playing girls sports," he said.

When pressed on whether he considers transgender girls to be girls, Holcomb didn't answer. Instead, he said he'd make a determination on the bill when he sees "the actual language." The language hasn't changed since it was amended on the House floor more than a month ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

I'm sure he'll have his pearls on when he signs it so he'll be able to clutch them.

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tears and Tension as the NCAA Awards a Women’s Championship to a Male Swimmer

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/tears-and-tension-as-the-ncaa-award-a-womens-championship-to-a-male-swimmer/

Atlanta, Ga. — Lia Thomas was awarded an NCAA championship in the 500-yard freestyle swim on Tuesday after dominating the female athletes in the league. The cheers and applause within the McAuley Aquatic Center were — as in the Tuesday morning prelims — noticeably louder for the second- and third-place finishers.

GettyImages-1239279539-NCAA-Swimming-Lia-Thoma.jpg?fit=789%2C460

As Thomas got out of the pool and gave remarks, many onlookers were neither clapping nor smiling. One women’s-rights protester shouted “shame on the NCAA” and “he’s a man!”

He’s a man!” yells a women’s rights protestor as Lis Thomas gives remarks after finishing first in the women’s 500 freestyle finals. #NCAASwimDive pic.twitter.com/6Ct1iX4FnK

— Madeleine Kearns (@madeleinekearns) March 18, 2022

Outside, a female Virginia Tech swimmer spoke with a reporter about her teammate who was brought to tears after being bumped out of the finals by Thomas.

Virginia Tech swimmer competing in this year’s NCAA championship details how her teammate was brought to tears after her place in the finals was taken by Lia Thomas: pic.twitter.com/mow56mVp1W

— Sav (@RapidFire_Pod) March 17, 2022

Abraham Lincoln once asked an audience how many legs a dog has if you count the tail as a leg. When they answered “five,” Lincoln told them that the answer was four. The fact that you called the tail a leg did not make it a leg.

Edited by Muda69
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Tears and Tension as the NCAA Awards a Women’s Championship to a Male Swimmer

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/tears-and-tension-as-the-ncaa-award-a-womens-championship-to-a-male-swimmer/

Abraham Lincoln once asked an audience how many legs a dog has if you count the tail as a leg. When they answered “five,” Lincoln told them that the answer was four. The fact that you called the tail a leg did not make it a leg.

This is a disgrace to women athletics.  I'm surprised the progressives around here aren't speaking up about this.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

2 hours ago, DE said:

Heh heh, I see what you did there.  🙂

That said,  there is a very good chance this veto gets overturned by the Indiana state legislature.   It's just virtue signaling by Mr. Holcomb.

Edit: Yep:  https://www.indystar.com/story/news/education/2022/03/22/indiana-general-assembly-transgender-sports-ban-veto-gov-eric-holcomb-sen-mike-braun/7125744001/

Gov. Eric Holcomb opposed lawmakers from his own party Monday when he vetoed legislation that would ban transgender girls from playing on girls sports teams at school. 

Within hours, fellow Republicans began calling on the Indiana General Assembly to override the veto. Republicans hold a supermajority in both chambers of the Statehouse but only need a simple majority to override a veto. 

Several have already said they'll vote for the override, which could be acted on as early as May when lawmakers return for a one-day special session to handle technical corrections. 

On Tuesday, House Speaker Todd Huston confirmed that plan, saying House Republicans plan to vote on the override on May 24. 

"The fundamental goal of this legislation is to protect competition in girls' sports, and House Republicans will vote to override this veto when lawmakers meet again on May 24," Huston said in a statement. "This issue continues to be in the national spotlight and for good reason as women have worked hard for equal opportunities on the playing field — and that's exactly what they deserve."

Edited by Muda69

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Heh heh, I see what you did there.  🙂

That said,  there is a very good chance this veto gets overturned by the Indiana state legislature.   It's just virtue signaling by Mr. Holcomb.

Edit: Yep:  https://www.indystar.com/story/news/education/2022/03/22/indiana-general-assembly-transgender-sports-ban-veto-gov-eric-holcomb-sen-mike-braun/7125744001/

😂

Correct.

• 2 months later...

Minutes after lawmakers override veto of transgender sports ban, first lawsuit is filed

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2022/05/24/indianas-transgender-sports-ban-first-lawsuit-filed-over/9904915002/

Just minutes after the Indiana General Assembly overrode Gov. Eric Holcomb’s veto of the state’s ban on transgender girls playing girls school sports, the first lawsuit against the measure was filed.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana is suing the Indianapolis Public Schools district on behalf of a 10-year-old transgender girl who will no longer be able to play softball on her school’s all-girls’ softball team. The child and her family were identified only by initials in the lawsuit.

The school district is subject to the suit because it must implement the law. The child at the center of the suit has been told she won’t be able to play next school year, should the law take effect as it is set to on July 1.

According to the complaint, playing softball has helped the child, known in the suit as A.M., to more fully experience her life as a girl.

“When she joined the softball team last fall, it helped her come out of her shell,” said A.M.’s mother, in a press release from the ACLU of Indiana. “I watched as she bloomed and felt more at ease in her skin."

When A.M. heard about the law, her mom said she was hurt and angry.

“She wants to stand up for girls like her, as well as herself, because she knows how upset they are right now,” A.M.’s mom said. “She wanted me to share that ‘We can’t expect kids to say the Pledge of Allegiance and Liberty and Justice for All while not giving liberty and justice to all.’”

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday afternoon in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, asserts that preventing A.M. and other transgender girls from participating in girls’ athletics is discrimination on the basis of sex in violation of Title IX, and also represents discrimination on the basis of transgender status, as well as sex, in violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the United States Constitution.

Ken Falk, legal director at the ACLU of Indiana, said it would be nice to have the issue resolved ahead of the next softball season.

“She is a girl,” he said, of A.M. “To deny that is to very, very harmful.”

Holcomb vetoed House Bill 1041 in March, saying it “fell short” of its intended goal of providing a clear and consistent state policy. And, he said, it's a solution for a problem that doesn't exist in Indiana.

“It implies that the goals of consistency and fairness in competitive female sports are not currently being met," Holcomb wrote. "After thorough review, I find no evidence to support either claim even if I support the overall goal.”

On Tuesday, the Indiana General Assembly voted to override that veto.

The House voted to override the veto, 67-28 and the Senate voted to do the same, 32-15.

“This is a policy that we feel is appropriate,” said Senate President Pro Tempore Rodric Bray, R-Martinsville. “We don't like to get the state of Indiana sued, but it happens from time to time.”

Lawmakers were back at the Statehouse Tuesday for their annual technical corrections day, during which they correct errors in bill language from the previous session. The session ended in mid-March.

Throughout the legislative session, the ACLU of Indiana joined dozens of transgender individuals, their families and other LGBTQ advocates in opposing HB 1041. Opponents called the bill discriminatory and said it would be harmful to the mental health of transgender children.

Other states have enacted similar legislation. In those that have seen litigation, the laws have been blocked while the cases work their way through the courts.

“It’s unfortunate legislation,” Falk said, "because it does nothing but punish and cause harm with no benefit."

The bill’s supporters have said it is intended to protect fair and competition in girls’ sports. They could not provide instances, though, of girls sports being harmed by the participation of transgender girls. The IHSAA said that no transgender girls have completed the application process to play high school sports.

Apparently first place medals are more important than LGBTQ discrimination. Conservatives love saying "F your feelings" until it's their feelings being hurt. 

I'm absolutely appalled at how this country has been stepping away from progress so much lately.

I've always felt that participation is more important than winning when you truly enjoy the sport that you're playing. 

At this point it's obvious to me that conservatives and liberals are wired differently. I just want all of the hatred and fighting to stop.

• Like 1
  • Kill me now 1