Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

What is the most desirable head coaching job in your conference??

I am curious how and why others view the most desirable head coaching jobs in their conference.  What makes that particular HC job the most desirable? Program resources? Steady influx of talent?  Great community support? Great administrative support? Great facilities? A sectional where the school can be competitive? A great youth/feeder program? Coaching stipend?  Program tradition and past success?

Northwest Indiana Conferences :

Lowell in the Northwest Crossroads Conference - great football school, rabid fan following, huge home field advantage, active alumni

Wheeler in the GSSC - supporters love their Bearcats, aggressive coaching staff, solid over achieving kids

Valparaiso in the Duneland - great talent, big strong athletic kids, tremendous fan and alumni support, winning heritage

New Prairie in the NIC - hard nosed farm boys with high football intellect, winning mentality, great fan support

I am biased to Owen Valley in the WIC lol, but I think Northview will always have talent in the big school side. Sullivan and Owen Valley have the more winnable Sectional. In the small school side, I believe Greencastle has the best facilities and South Putnam has the most "community" support. 

Edited by footballfan2012
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, footballfan2012 said:

I am biased to Owen Valley in the WIC lol, but I think Northview will always have talent in the big school side. Sullivan and Owen Valley have the more winnable Sectional. In the small school side, I believe Greencastle has the best facilities and South Putnam has the most "community" support. 

For the SAC it would have to be Carroll. They have a student body of 2500 and continues the grow as the fastest growing area of Fort Wayne. Throw in the new 8 million dollar stadium and it starts to become a no brainer. It probably doesn't matter though. On the surface, Coach Dinan appears to be passionate enough to stick around for awhile. 

On 1/20/2022 at 5:55 PM, HHF said:

Northwest Indiana Conferences :

Lowell in the Northwest Crossroads Conference - great football school, rabid fan following, huge home field advantage, active alumni

Wheeler in the GSSC - supporters love their Bearcats, aggressive coaching staff, solid over achieving kids

Valparaiso in the Duneland - great talent, big strong athletic kids, tremendous fan and alumni support, winning heritage

New Prairie in the NIC - hard nosed farm boys with high football intellect, winning mentality, great fan support

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but what makes you choose Valpo over Merrillville? The pirates have been churning out some really good athletes in recent time

22 minutes ago, Bears62 said:

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but what makes you choose Valpo over Merrillville? The pirates have been churning out some really good athletes in recent time

If you base the choice purely on athletic talent, you go with Merrillville.  

If you add in all the other intangibles (admin support/community support/facilities/feeder systems/culture/coaching - staff continuity/ reputation) I give the edge to Valpo.  

Hope that answers your question

On 1/23/2022 at 6:22 PM, HHF said:

Why Northview?

South Putnam has great fan support and is a solid program

Northview is a solid program as well. Coming off a sectional championship appearance. They've been pretty good for a while. They always have really good athletes. I think Northview will always have a good program. 

4 minutes ago, wvigo13 said:

Northview is a solid program as well. Coming off a sectional championship appearance. They've been pretty good for a while. They always have really good athletes. I think Northview will always have a good program. 

NV also has the huge advantage of being the biggest school in the conference.  

13 minutes ago, wvigo13 said:

Definitely, went up there for the sectional championship game and they had some great football atmosphere, pumped up crowd, and pretty good popcorn (in my opinion). There was no sitting room at all in Brazil, and I’m sure Memorial and NV will be meeting each other in the sectional again in October/November 

12 hours ago, HHF said:

NV also has the huge advantage of being the biggest school in the conference.  

Really you can answer this question two different ways in my opinion. The most desirable to win regular season games or the most desirable to win championships/titles. (sectional, regional and so on)

I would say in the SIAC it would have to be Jasper. It has no enrollment competition from other schools (public or parochial), has top-notch facilities, great community support (financially and otherwise), and a great tradition in several sports. Plus, as the only high school in that school corporation, I imagine they can pretty much do whatever they want when it comes to compensation to retain and attract coaches.  Also add that their former AD now is an assistant IHSAA commissioner.  

• Like 1

Tough to pick in the Hoosier Conf - so many great programs. 

1. LCC - great tradition and support. Winning culture, college town and always tough.

1A - West Laf - many reasons as above, such close ties with Purdue makes it a really cool place to play. 

2 - Rennsy Bombers - really tough nosed kids, great program, well coached, great fans and culture. Also Wagonmasters after all home games....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LCKfan4life said:

1. LCC - great tradition and support. Winning culture, college town and always tough.

1A - West Laf - many reasons as above, such close ties with Purdue makes it a really cool place to play. 

2 - Rennsy Bombers - really tough nosed kids, great program, well coached, great fans and culture. Also Wagonmasters after all home games....

As @Donnie Baker would say, "State law!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, LCKfan4life said:

No Love for the Hoosier East? It's really hard to go against LCC and West Side though both have been top tier programs for a very long time.