Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

21-22 DOE Enrollments

On 3/10/2022 at 7:00 AM, btownqbcoach1 said:

Where did you drive that was 3 or 4 hours? 

Have not attended road playoff game since 2009. So, this is a hodgepodge of 90’s and 2000’s seasons in which there was higher expectations and relatives playing/friends going.

Any road playoff game leaving work early on a Friday while fighting rush hour traffic is going to require if much distance:

1)      Gas

2)      Fast food to go stop unless bring food/drinks, which I have done.

3)      Potty (unless you take a piss bottle as I have done.) (Always combined with the food stop due to time)

Sectionals from Morgantown:

03 and 04 at Union County, three hours with short stop to get fast food to go, ****ball road which was in that condition thirty years prior.

06-met friend from Terre Haute North at Columbus North. He stated the drive was over three hours, but nothing compared to crappy Jennings County game several years before.

09 at Heritage Hills, four hours with same type of short stop, exhausting.

The Evansville problem:

The old lore that one can not travel from Indy area to Evansville for Friday game and win. There was no direct, dual lane highway (and 41 was not a better option), putting one at mercy of every slow poke, every small town speed zone and every farm implement on road.  Yes, 69 has made a major change, but take a piss bottle (if one properly hydrates) and food  or be prepared to lose quite a bit of time driving out of way from exits. It is still a longer trip than I thought it would be. Also, I heard from a state trooper last summer that it is the wild west of speed drivers because the state police posts in those regions will not even patrol it.

Regionals to Evansville were always a survival game and vice versa.

So, there were very long trips in 95, 96 and 03 that were also four hours with any quick stop.  

Side notes of tourney travel to Eville:

Carmel went to playing the Castle game on Saturday evening. Still lost in 83 and 94.

Before the all-in tourney and I-64, Richmond played first round at Castle- may be most asinine game travel I aware of.

Also, recall that the IHSAA, in it’s infinite wisdom, implemented a two-year scheme of mid-week basketball regionals beginning of two decades ago in which there were a lot of complaints about traveling two plus hours on school nights before playing semi-state on Saturday.

On 3/9/2022 at 1:50 PM, crimsonace1 said:

The first set had a bizarrely wrong number for Bremen and had 10-year-old numbers for several private schools. 

IHSAA uses fall enrollment numbers for classification. 

Bottom line, when you have 8 teams in a sectional and there aren't any teams near you, some insane sectional travel is somewhat unavoidable. 

I post the maps for a reason. You can look at them and see how you'd do things differently. 

The creativity of many members on this board over the years with mapping and tourney ideas is much needed by the IHSAA,  if they only had the ability to receive it. 

I posted too hastily, it was the 82 title season that Carmel played at Castle. and that may have been Friday as it was semi and it seems the regionals were Saturday. long time ago. but I recall the sectional games played during week, which made for Saturday regionals. Mid-week football playoffs may have been the dumbest idea in the history of IHSAA. Even dumber than Cluster with cluster tiebreaker playoff halves. 

54 minutes ago, ragdoll said:

The Evansville problem:

The old lore that one can not travel from Indy area to Evansville for Friday game and win.

The Mt. Vernon Fortville Marauders broke the spell this year.  

18 hours ago, tango said:

The Mt. Vernon Fortville Marauders broke the spell this year.  

Once completed, I69 will have made a big stride on that divide. The lore has been brought up often over the past 20 years on the board. It definitely stems from the pre-69 history and has a lot of casualties both ways that were likely enabled by travel problem on Friday when teams were closely matched. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Piratefan101 said:

They have a statment on the ihsaa website that says 1st week of may it will be out 

That's never stopped the GID before!! 

I should have used more purple in my previous post

• Thanks 1